IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

• Admin

"Faithfew" - I feel privileged to be present at the dawn of a brand new word. Well done sir - very appropriate!

This is definitely word of the day,(Faithfew) if I'm being honest:)

Not gonna lie, I was proud of myself when I wrote that one ;)

• Like 2

How did the 15ers manage to do that; they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery ?!

Im sure the gas were the only club in the South West not to publicly support Ashton Vale and the World Cup bid. Jealous little tossers are getting what they deserve, karma can be a right bitch

How did the 15ers manage to do that; they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery ?!

Im sure the gas were the only club in the South West not to publicly support Ashton Vale and the World Cup bid. Jealous little tossers are getting what they deserve, karma can be a right bitch

Presumably they first have to ask leave to appeal?

They certainly do. Ordinarily first to the High Court, and commonly it's a written paper as opposed to a hearing. If they want permission to appeal one thing the Court will bear in mind is prospects of success on appeal.

If the High Court refused permission the next step would be to petition to the relevant Appeal Court (Court of Appeal in this instance) to hear the case. They too will then decide whether to allow Rovers to appeal.

One thing I've not seen mentioned is Sainsbury's position. Whilst they won the case ultimately they themselves may want to launch their own appeal if Rovers were to. They might want to submit that the judgment should have gone their way on grounds in addition to the one that succeeded. It's possible Sainsbury's could win on appeal for entirely different reasons than given by the High Court.

I'm not particularly surprised Rovers have sought permission to appeal. I'd have been more surprised if they never to be honest. There's just too much money at stake once you've gone this far not to try. Whilst an appeal would need to be launched with good intentions otherwise you could be liable for the other side's cost in defending the appeal, if permission is granted it puts Rovers straight back in to a bargaining position for an out of court settlement... - I'm not suggesting it's the intention at all, but if leave to appeal is granted Sainsbury's may well decide a settlement in the order of the wonga loan is a price worth paying to draw a line in the sand even if they fancy their chances.

Edited by Guest

They certainly do. Ordinarily first to the High Court, and commonly it's a written paper as opposed to a hearing. If they want permission to appeal one thing the Court will bear in mind is prospects of success on appeal.

If the High Court refused permission the next step would be to petition to the relevant Appeal Court (Court of Appeal in this instance) to hear the case. They too will then decide whether to allow Rovers to appeal.

One thing I've not seen mentioned is Sainsbury's position. Whilst they won the case ultimately they themselves may want to launch their own appeal if Rovers were to. They might want to submit that the judgment should have gone their way on grounds in addition to the one that succeeded. It's possible Sainsbury's could win on appeal for entirely different reasons than given by the High Court.

I'm not particularly surprised Rovers have sought permission to appeal. I'd have been more surprised if they never to be honest. There's just too much money at stake once you've gone this far not to try. Whilst an appeal would need to be launched with good intentions otherwise you could be liable for the other side's cost in defending the appeal, if permission is granted it puts Rovers straight back in to a bargaining position for an out of court settlement... - I'm not suggesting it's the intention at all, but if leave to appeal is granted Sainsbury's may well decide a settlement in the order of the wonga loan is a price worth paying to draw a line in the sand even if they fancy their chances.

Classic gambler's logic. Keep doubling the stake until it comes up red :facepalm:

The case you make holds water provided 1. the company is already up shit creek and 2, and this is really really important, you dont incur any more cost than it is reasonable to assume you'll recover and 3. you don't do 2 in a

way that might increase indebtedness in the event of administration.

Given the state Rovers finances are in the only way an appeal can be funded is by mitigated PG from directors or direct funding by directors.

True enough, but there are upsides such as opening up the prospect of a settlement again.

An appeal will be expensive, but a drop in the ocean if they win. As you say rightly the decision comes down to what is reasonable.

The only point I make re reasonable is just because one course is reasonable doesn't make the other unreasonable. From afar, seems to me this could possibly be an instance of either course of action being reasonable in the circumstances.

Edited by Guest

They do know you can't appeal simply because they think the decision is wrong don't they? When they aak for permission to appeal they will have to show the judge got it wrong based on hard facts. Can't see them getting permission to appeal tbh because the judgement looks pretty clear.

Exactly, they have to show the judge may have misinterpreted the law incorrectly or the trial was administered incorrectly although due to the public interest angle, 100 million outraged Gasheads, it may get through on the observational humour test.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9915096/hold-hold-hold-hold

They'd be behind a lot of teams in this list if they were actually in the league last year!!!!

How can that be with all their amazing support?

I knw it;s the same for all teams ,BUT we'd have been much higher if it wasn't for some very poor away followings at AG  !

They do know you can't appeal simply because they think the decision is wrong don't they? When they aak for permission to appeal they will have to show the judge got it wrong based on hard facts. Can't see them getting permission to appeal tbh because the judgement looks pretty clear.

Yeah. I make no comment on their prospects. Application to appeal can be a relatively cheap pursuit.... The appeal however.

Yeah. I make no comment on their prospects. Application to appeal can be a relatively cheap pursuit.... The appeal however.

It all centres around that cut off date and to me that seems pretty water tight. Anything that happened after that really has no relevance as Sainsburys were perfectly entitled to withdraw.

I can see Rovers challenging the expert who said Sainsburys only had a 55% chance of winning the appeal over delivery hours.

It all centres around that cut off date and to me that seems pretty water tight. Anything that happened after that really has no relevance as Sainsburys were perfectly entitled to withdraw.

I can see Rovers challenging the expert who said Sainsburys only had a 55% chance of winning the appeal over delivery hours.

Ordinarily there would be almost nil chance against the expert. Their opinion was seemingly sought by and provided to Sainsbury's. They'd owe no duty of care to Rovers, and even if they did his engagement and opinion would no doubt have excluded third party reliance and liability.

Normally if there was improper advice it would be Sainsbury's claim to pursue if they wished, or if required to.

Until we know the grounds for appeal it's hard to comment on its merits. If it is baseless it will get thrown out but right now we don't know what card it is that they're going to play. For all we know there could have been something procedural they've held up their sleeve.

For all you lot who think we're all deluded and are heading to the Prem as soon we build the UWE in 2045, there are some who can have a laugh about it all

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/4054/plan-brick

I liked the suggestion that fans bring a brick to each game. They have obviously copied City's plan for fans to buy a brick for the previous scheme to replace the Wedlock with a new stand. First of all they steal the ground from Bristol Rugby and now they are stealing our ideas to help them build a new stand.
  • Like 1