IGNORED

Keith Millen New Carlisle Manager

pl00peh91

13 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

well at least he wont have to endure a trip to the swamp this season 

Saturday 26th March the gas make their trip to Carlisle. With City not playing that day, we could have a weekend away in the North of England. ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pl00peh91 said:

Best of luck to him still think his “Cider With” episode is one of the best ones OSIB has done. Wish him all the best 

& probably the one @Shtanley and I laughed the most at whilst recording!

Legend of a bloke. Hope he smashes it. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a few of our fringe/youngsters head there on loan 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

...seem to burn through managers.

They may ‘seem to burn through managers’ but they’ve had just four permanent managers in the last seven years - that timescale per appointment is pretty much par for the course in the life cycle of a football manager - Bristol City FC has had the same number of gaffers in the same timescale - we’ve had four managers too in the last seven years - Cotts,, LJ, Dean and NP ...

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

Legend of a bloke. Hope he smashes it.

Absolutely no disrespect intended PH - but he isn’t a ‘legend’ - a decent servant to Bristol City FC in a couple of capacities but legend? No way ... it’s been said a zillion times on here by zillions of people that the word ‘legend’ is thrown around way too often and easily to describe ex players and managers without justification... he’s a great bloke and I wish him all the best ...

• Like 6

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Absolutely no disrespect intended PH - but he isn’t a ‘legend’ - a decent servant to Bristol City FC in a couple of capacities but legend? No way ... it’s been said a zillion times on here by zillions of people that the word ‘legend’ is thrown around way too often and easily to describe ex players and managers without justification... he’s a great bloke and I wish him all the best ...

I think there’s a difference semantically between “Bristol City legend” and “legend of a bloke”, the latter relates more to him as an individual which is I think what Pete meant. I don’t think anyone is saying that he’s a Bristol City legend but he was universally liked and probably underrated by a lot on here for what he achieved.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

They may ‘seem to burn through managers’ but they’ve had just four permanent managers in the last seven years - that timescale per appointment is pretty much par for the course in the life cycle of a football manager - Bristol City FC has had the same number of gaffers in the same timescale - we’ve had four managers too in the last seven years - Cotts,, LJ, Dean and NP ...

He’s the 5th in 3 years.

Curle (who was there for 4 years prior to that), then Sheridan, Pressley & Beech,  none of whom managed a year.

In contrast LJ got 4, Holden (a terrible appointment) was the only one of ours not to get at least a year.

Edited by GrahamC

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree, I meant legend as in great company/a real laugh…

But also argue a 12 year run at one club is more than decent service!

Edited by petehinton
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

A huge part of our relatively recent success.
handed a poisoned chalice of James, Hunt, Stewart to bed into the team. 

People quick to forget Millen brought in Rose, Caulker, Stead, Pitman, Bolasie.  

Good luck Keef, top man. 

Good post, also stepped in after Coppell walked out unexpectedly & stabilised the club.

I also liked that he knew that he needed to go completely outside the club for his assistant.

Not saying he was ever going to be the long term answer but also think unlike McInnes & LJ, he was sacked as soon as he had his first bad run of results.

Got a lot of time for him.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Maybe just how I remember it and whilst I wouldn't use the term 'legend' for him as a City player, I recall Millen being one of the best central defenders to ever pull on the shirt in my time watching City and I recall fondly his time playing for us.  Always had a lot of respect for him and will always wish him well.

Not sure if others recall similar or whether my memories going.... ?

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Wouldn't have been disappointed at all to have him back as a coach here tbh. Maybe one day. I believe he has hinted that he'd be  more than happy to return later in his career. Still has a good relationship with the Lansdowns. 

Family home in Nailsea I believe?

On 27/10/2021 at 09:16, GrahamC said:

Good post, also stepped in after Coppell walked out unexpectedly & stabilised the club.

I also liked that he knew that he needed to go completely outside the club for his assistant.

Not saying he was ever going to be the long term answer but also think unlike McInnes & LJ, he was sacked as soon as he had his first bad run of results.

Got a lot of time for him.

His last game in charge - a 5-0 loss at Blackpool - was one of only two Bristol City games I've ever watched that I was absolutely convinced the players threw the towel in collectively. They 100% sacked it in.

The last 20 minutes of that game was an absolute disgrace and the players made sure the manager was sacked there and then. Winds me up to think about it now even, because Keith's a genuinely good man and didn't deserve that.

Edited by The Journalist
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1