IGNORED

Isn’t Kasey too good to leave out in the cold ….

Denbury Red

The short piece in Robins Live - just received by email, and the video footage of Kasey’s goal against Birmingham shown again today makes me wonder if we are missing a trick!

Could and perhaps should he be tried further up the pitch?

He can certainly finish (as seen in the Birmingham video), he has more strength than some of our other options, and whilst the teenagers seem to be getting the nod for the midfield positions, with Nakhi unable to hit a barn door at times - perhaps Kasey should be given a try up front?

He’s still young and I’m not sure he’s found his best position!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

The short piece in Robins Live - just received by email, and the video footage of Kasey’s goal against Birmingham shown again today makes me wonder if we are missing a trick!

He can certainly finish (as seen in the Birmingham video), he has more strength than some of our other options, and whilst the teenagers seem to be getting the nod for the midfield positions, with Nakhi unable to hit a barn door at times - perhaps Kasey should be given a try up front?

Pearson implied he isn’t training well. How can he then pick him in the team or even squad? Pearson is trying to instil a message and cannot undermine himself.  He will be thinking he is doing more long term good for the squad by not picking a bad trainer,  and I agree. 

I am surprised that anyone would want someone in the squad who we are told isn’t training well enough 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Pearson implied he isn’t training well. How can he then pick him in the team or even squad? Pearson is trying to instil a message and cannot undermine himself.  He will be thinking he is doing more long term good for the squad by not picking a bad trainer,  and I agree. 

I am surprised that anyone would want someone in the squad who we are told isn’t training well enough 

But then also said a few weeks ago he was training well, and loved his attitude for asking to play in the u23s, got his cameo & goal against Fulham as a result iirc. All sounds ominous. Wouldn’t surprise me if injured 

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

But then also said a few weeks ago he was training well, and loved his attitude for asking to play in the u23s, got his cameo & goal against Fulham as a result iirc. All sounds ominous. Wouldn’t surprise me if injured 

I would say it would be bad management if he was injured. To imply he’s been poor in training when he’s actually injured would worrying to his man management. I just can’t see that 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Kasey is done in my view. Had so many chances and hasn’t taken them. Another one to get off the wage bill.

Yep, I think that’s  spot on.

LJ thought he could get the best out of KP but failed and now a far more experienced manager in Nige is having the same difficulty.

The ‘issue’ has to lie with KP himself and in some ways he reminds me of JET who was blessed with sublime ability but couldn’t be arsed half the time to perform. KP seems to be very similar.

JET could have played at a far higher level as KP could but both lack that drive to put in the effort required.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 2

Kasey Palmer is his own worst enemy. He has talent to make opponents idiotic, but rarely does this to his teams advantage. He is too predictable in what he does. He reminds me at times of Freeman. Receive ball near touchline and turn diagonally across the pitch. Opponents just shepherd him in front all the way and then he looks for a pass with no City player near him.

• Like 2

No manager he's played under has ever trusted or rated him highly enough to start him regulary. An ego signing by Mark Ashton, and one of the reasons we can't afford to sign a quality forward.

I'm pretty sure we couldn't give Kasey Palmer away at the moment, but if we could I think we would.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Kasey is done in my view. Had so many chances and hasn’t taken them. Another one to get off the wage bill.

Completely agree. Albeit I don’t think it’s because he hasn’t necessarily taken his chances, I just dont think what he offers matches what we need. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Yep, “here’s the levels, attain then or don’t play”….it’s a simple message.

It might not be that he’s training badly per se, but Benarous has come in and trained better.  Said the same re Vyner, and I see him as a dedicated trainer.  But there’s only 18 shirts….in some respects when Antoine, Williams and King are back, there’s gonna be a good few not getting kitted up.

Nige really sewing the seeds that age and reputation count for nothing….performance, commitment etc do.

Long may it continue.

It might give other players, not just Palmer, a kick up the arse.

I don’t think we can sell Palmer in this market, unless we take a free.  I do still think he has something to offer, but I think that about other players too, and they don’t do it either.

• Like 15

Would like to see him in the role Weimann played on Saturday; as a no.10 but behind a front 2 of Weimann and Wells. If he can't provide assists in that setup then he never will and needs to go.

If what others have said about him not training well, then it is entirely justified by Pearson to not pick him in the squad.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So far Holden, Steve Cooper & Pearson have all left him out.

The issue isn’t the manager, it’s the player.

This is very true and a very good point Graham, I would say one thing.
He hasn't been given a run with anything like a team that plays to his strengths, or not often at least. I would have given him a run in behind Wells & Weimann, give him movement and targets and it would bring out the best in him. Those passes like Brownhill Vs Charlton or Rowe Vs Birmingham, he has that ability , but play him behind Martin and he's wasted. He started working hard and putting himself about, but apart from the odd glimpse we've not seen enough. 
If he goes in January , it will be for next to nothing and more to get rid of wages than to get funds to buy someone. 
I have been a fan, but even I couldn't find a reason to play him ATM, unless we dropped Martin. We might actually play more then , who knows.

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Yes!  He was lethargic at best. 

Exactly what I thought.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Definitely not done enough in my view and definitely not enough for the wage we've paid him.. Chelsea got rid for a reason and no club bar us committed to signing him..Let's hope he's moved on in Jan.

54 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

As a number 10 in a 4-4-1-1 he could be an ideal replacement for Nakhi. That would allow him to press from the front. The deeper he drops the more vulnerable he becomes to losing possession.

44 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yep, I think that’s  spot on.

LJ thought he could get the best out of KP but failed and now a far more experienced manager in Nige is having the same difficulty.

The ‘issue’ has to lie with KP himself and in some ways he reminds me of JET who was blessed with sublime ability but couldn’t be arsed half the time to perform. KP seems to be very similar.

JET could have played at a far higher level as KP could but both lack that drive to put in the effort required.

Agree… but wow £4m we paid for him wasn’t it? Or was that an exaggerated number much like the quotes of £7m for massengo?

3 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

Would like to see him in the role Weimann played on Saturday; as a no.10 but behind a front 2 of Weimann and Wells. If he can't provide assists in that setup then he never will and needs to go.

If what others have said about him not training well, then it is entirely justified by Pearson to not pick him in the squad.

44 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Mixed messages from NP, or just a kick up the arse for Kasey - slack off in training and your toast.

He's a very talented footballer and still young, he'll come good either here or elsewhere.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Tough one for me. He’s never really been given much of a chance, but similarly he’s a bit of a luxury player. Teams playing badly can’t afford luxury players. 

People say that he hasn’t been given much of a chance for us but he has played over 60 games for us in 2 years! 
his head drops if something he tries doesn’t come off then is at best a passenger in most games or at worst lazy! 

On the odd occasion it does he can be masterful!

not sure it is effort actually, more down to skill.. not technical ability -he clearly has that in spades but he cant put that into something productive in the championship and other parts of his game are clearly lacking.

Hes a big unit, not likely to be 'athletic' like a weinman so I dont mistake his lack of tracking, positioning to do with effort as you can work around those things with nouse. I think its just skill.  He does not have the right skills to succeed at championship level

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fjmcity said:

not sure it is effort actually, more down to skill.. not technical ability -he clearly has that in spades but he cant put that into something productive in the championship and other parts of his game are clearly lacking.

Hes a big unit, not likely to be 'athletic' like a weinman so I dont mistake his lack of tracking, positioning to do with effort as you can work around those things with nouse. I think its just skill.  He does not have the right skills to succeed at championship level

Big unit ?

You sure ?

22 minutes ago, Street red said:

Definitely not done enough in my view and definitely not enough for the wage we've paid him.. Chelsea got rid for a reason and no club bar us committed to signing him..Let's hope he's moved on in Jan.

….and ask yourself who agreed to pay it!!  Not KP’s fault, Chelsea and then us gave him a lucrative contract.  Of course he might’ve taken a pay cut when he came here….we’ve no evidence he’s still on £110k per month as per his court comments.

14 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Agree… but wow £4m we paid for him wasn’t it? Or was that an exaggerated number much like the quotes of £7m for massengo?

£3.5m, but I’m splitting hairs (half a million of them!).

Like my comment above, who agreed to pay it?  Who thought he was so worthy of it, having seen him play a bit part the previous season, and then having signed Szmodics?  Yep, you guessed it, the “Ego Twins”!!  A manager who seemed to think he could “tame” any player, e.g. Tomlin.

I like Palmer, he’s still only 24….but the financial side is such a millstone round both his neck and the club, I don’t know what the answer is.  More below.

4 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

I might be incorrectly summarising your post, but I think he lacks football intelligence….is that what you’re saying - it’s what I’d call “nouse” as you say.  Ignore the fitness issues for the mo’, he doesn’t put in a lack of effort, he is inefficient, he charges around and tires himself out, especially if it’s having not played.  LJ never started him more than two games on the trot.  Holden gave him 5 last season, the spell when he scored v Swansea and Brum…then left him on the bench for 5.

He isn’t the only player on OTIB who divides opinion and who I think lacks “nouse”….O’Dowda the other.  Another with ability that doesn’t shine through.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Big unit ?

You sure ?

He’s a well built chap imho.  I’m gonna get done by the sports scientists on here, but he strikes me as being “heavy boned”, which is probably a load of crap, but he looks like he carries a bit, even when looking toned.

• Like 7