IGNORED

Bristol Clean Air Zone

Bristol Rob

As if parking on a match day wasn't already a challenge, for those travelling by car next season Marvin and his clean air zone might present a further challenge.

The busses to Ashton Gate are pretty much non existent as things stand, so for a lot of people in areas further afield public transport isn't a realistic option.

Just wonder if SCAT have started dialogue with the Club on this already (I would assume they have), and what the feedback has been.

A map for those who don't know where it impacts.

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/streets-travel/bristol-caz/view-map

2 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

Think i heard it impacts diesel cars over 6 years old and petrol pre 2006.

I wouldn't trust the Council to get it right. Didn't they order new Diesel Buses just before the original plan of banning all diesel vehicles ?

35 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I wouldn't trust the Council to get it right. Didn't they order new Diesel Buses just before the original plan of banning all diesel vehicles ?

Not forgetting the £35+ Million squandered on Bristol Energy who've never made a profit and probably never will - well done Marv!

• Like 1

• Admin

I’ve just put the reg of my main vehicle into the gov checker, I’d have to pay in Birmingham and Bath, but not Portsmouth- how can there be such be variables, it’s nuts.  It’s a small van, if I put a car with the same engine in, it would be free.  I hate inconsistency and nonsense rules, of which a lot of these clean air zones are.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Red Cloud said:

Not forgetting the £35+ Million squandered on Bristol Energy who've never made a profit and probably never will - well done Marv!

Can't blame him, he was preoccupied on 5 star hotels and first class flights , to inspect something. That, it was all paid for by the company that got the Arena bid apparently. Who then moved the site from near the centre of all transport routes , to one at Filton , that the company preferred , obviously coincidence. 
Wasted millions in feasibility studies, sites and preparation. Mind you, that site near Temple Meades did only allow for 25 parking space for a 10,000 all seater arena. These people get paid to do this !!

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Is he not due for re-election within the year?

If so why not vote for who ever says,they will not implement the clean air zone in certain(non central) areas of the City

He’s in till 2024, hopefully by then the people of Bristol will have voted to abolish the need for a mayor after the two egotists we’ve had to endure, moving the arena from the middle of town to the north of Bristol on one mans says so was a disgrace, it was great news for the people of South Glos’ & South Wales but does nothing for the people of South Bristol.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tts_city said:

Great isnt it, poorer people with older cars get taxed and its a Labour council.

To be fair, I think the guidelines come from Central Government and the local councils have to implement them the best they can and i speak as someone that has to pay £9 to go to work in Bath so I'm no fan of CAZ.

• Admin
8 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Why are we not supporting clean air agenda. And it's simple if you wanna drive drive electric

I trust you all be on the climate demo tommorrow. College green 12.00 pm

Not affordable or practical for the majority.  I did look at getting a bus to work (it’s a 30-60 minute drive depending on the time I travel) to do it on the bus I’m looking at 3.5 hours each way, who is going to do that!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Crazy prices. 

Crazy indeed, if they want people to buy electric cars they’re going to have to build one for the masses like the Mini/Beatle etc with sensible, affordable prices and have the infrastructure in place to support them . I’m all for doing my bit for climate change but you have to be realistic and £30/40k for an electric car is not realistic….:yawn:

• Like 4

Local Councils in cities have to implement a clean air zone. It's not a choice it's compulsory. So, how it is done in different cities is a reflection of that Authority's competence.

Birmingham has it up and running in the very centre. I was able to drive my diesel car to and from Tuesday's game without going in it. I imagine that as the squeeze on diesel cars grows, the area will be expanded from a smaller base.

Bristol's plan includes a far bigger area and hasn't started. Yet again they've massively ****** up. Would've been better to start it just in the centre to get it actually working before including a bigger area.

Also, don't be fooled into thinking this is under the control of Marvin Rees. He doesn't have a clue

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Have you seen the price of Electric cars!! 

Absolutely this. Needs to be something that is looked at. I’m sure there is/will be some sort of initiative to encourage people to buy electric cars, but it has to be realistic & not some sort of token gesture. What is the point in profit if there isn’t a planet to enjoy it on! COYR 

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Not affordable or practical for the majority.  I did look at getting a bus to work (it’s a 30-60 minute drive depending on the time I travel) to do it on the bus I’m looking at 3.5 hours each way, who is going to do that!

Yep I'm the same. With fuel prices going up I would love to take public transport but my 45 minute drive turns into 2hrs+ and thats when everything is on time!

Need some serious investment in public transport and incentives for electric vehicles (not that i could use one not having a driveway, **** poor people right?)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Why are we not supporting clean air agenda. And it's simple if you wanna drive drive electric

I trust you all be on the climate demo tommorrow. College green 12.00 pm

Never easier. Just go into the dealer hand over 5k deposit sign up to four years of £400 a month payments or give them 30k to buy it outright. Couldn't be easier. 

• Haha 4

• Admin
2 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

Same as the scheme that has existed in London for years. You have to be driving a bit of a banger to fail. My gas guzzling diesel passes with flying colours.

Not true, both my Euro 5 vans will be charged.  With one of them, the same engine is in some cars and they’d not have to pay, where is the fairness in that?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

money spinning load of poppycock, they didnt need to drag it out as far as the cumberland basin,start of anchor rd would have been better. nobody not wanting to pay the charge would bother going down hotwells rd or coronation rd etc as there is nothing there to go for. its a con to catch people dropping into the outskirts

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Not true, both my Euro 5 vans will be charged.  With one of them, the same engine is in some cars and they’d not have to pay, where is the fairness in that?

Same as, my euro 5 emissions are probably cleaner than the air it’s sucking in around the city centre yet  I’m going to be expected to pay to work in the city every day,meanwhile my wife can take her petrol BMW into town to shop for a new outfit completely unaffected…..madness,but when have BCC EVER got a major decision correct.

27 minutes ago, 22A said:

On Points West last night did they say busses will be charged £100 / day?

If true, the bus company will pass that on to the passengers which fill force many more people off public transport.

It's all part of Marvin's grand plan so we can get electric scooters to the sky-train before hot footing to an underground station that will take us straight to the arena!

• Like 1