IGNORED

Bristol Clean Air Zone

Bristol Rob

7 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

Another working man's tax, I can't afford a new van. Small business should be exempt, Chelsea tractor should pay double. 

If working in the zone - or living in it - you are exempt. 

When the details are announced, see if you qualify for a grant towards a new vehicle if the restrictions cause your business difficulty. 

Although, as has been said, £42m in total compo won't stretch to everybody, the terms are tilted towards helping smaller businesses.

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

If working in the zone - or living in it - you are exempt. 

When the details are announced, see if you qualify for a grant towards a new vehicle if the restrictions cause your business difficulty. 

Although, as has been said, £42m in total compo won't stretch to everybody, the terms are tilted towards helping smaller businesses.

In Bath you still have to pay the charge if working in the zone, is Bristol different then ? 

On 06/11/2021 at 00:04, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Why are we not supporting clean air agenda. And it's simple if you wanna drive drive electric

Is there an electric vehicle made that would allow me to get to AG and back without having to spend further hours searching for a charging point?

It took over 5 hours to get home the other week and with multiple, planned road closures all traffic eastbound had zero alternate routes to take. Assume they were all electric vehicles, they'd all be desperate for the same charging points of which it's already been proven there will never be enough. Of those presently installed on major routes, around 1 in 3 are out of service and half the dual chargers only allow single charge use at present. As for cars charge mapping, forget it. I was in one of the most popular and supposedly efficient models the other day and it handily told me my nearest charging point was 0.6m miles away. Didn't realise the car could float as that was the other side of The Thames. In reality it's nearer a 3 mile drive, through one of the slowest and busiest tunnels in Europe (it'll take upward of 30mins.) Yeah, I won't risk the hefty fine for running out of fuel in the tunnel.

If I needed to charge up in Bristol whilst at the match where would I do that? Bristol HATES visitors as it is - want to go to AG, park up in Brislington, really?

20 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I think it's just you BTRFTG............

I can assure you from a sample of those who sit around me at AG, none of whom live in or near Bristol, it isn't just me. 

Bristol's transport planning and infrastructure is woeful.

Parking - forget it. Park and rides at Long Ashton, Brislington, Pucklechurch and the far end of The Portway. Right at the heart of the action. (Can folks park at LA on a Saturday for the footy now?) Most close at 10pm so if I wanted to take in a movie, or theatre, or dinner I'd have to leave the city centre by 9pm. Yeah, that works.

Public transport - quicker to walk to either TM or Coach Station than use the bus, assuming you are able so to do, but as ever with Rees it's sod the infirm or oldies.

Visually impaired or restricted mobility visitors - don't bother as you'll be tripping over or having to avoid randomly dumped scooters all over the shop.

Bristol should be welcoming. It isn't.

• Like 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Is there an electric vehicle made that would allow me to get to AG and back without having to spend further hours searching for a charging point?

It took over 5 hours to get home the other week and with multiple, planned road closures all traffic eastbound had zero alternate routes to take. Assume they were all electric vehicles, they'd all be desperate for the same charging points of which it's already been proven there will never be enough. Of those presently installed on major routes, around 1 in 3 are out of service and half the dual chargers only allow single charge use at present. As for cars charge mapping, forget it. I was in one of the most popular and supposedly efficient models the other day and it handily told me my nearest charging point was 0.6m miles away. Didn't realise the car could float as that was the other side of The Thames. In reality it's nearer a 3 mile drive, through one of the slowest and busiest tunnels in Europe (it'll take upward of 30mins.) Yeah, I won't risk the hefty fine for running out of fuel in the tunnel.

If I needed to charge up in Bristol whilst at the match where would I do that? Bristol HATES visitors as it is - want to go to AG, park up in Brislington, really?

The big electric con, hydrogen engines or synthetic fuels are the only realistic way for people who do more than pop round town, to actually carry on a normal life.

• Like 3

• Admin

With Britain committed to banning the sale of combustion engine vehicles in just over 8 years time have we yet heard what the plan is for the 30% of UK drivers who do not have access to off street parking at home?

Charging EV's needs to somehow become much quicker if we are expected to be able to all use a charging site as we do at present with petrol stations and I don't see that magnitude of improvement happening by 2030.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ian M said:

With Britain committed to banning the sale of combustion engine vehicles in just over 8 years time have we yet heard what the plan is for the 30% of UK drivers who do not have access to off street parking at home?

Charging EV's needs to somehow become much quicker if we are expected to be able to all use a charging site as we do at present with petrol stations and I don't see that magnitude of improvement happening by 2030.

I don't think many of us can.

Hybrids are due to still be on sale until 2040, so for us street parkers there is an option.

Personally, I can see this deadline slipping back and back. 

• Like 1

Hope they find a way of making the roads more compatible for all the proposed electric cars and buses.

So much heavier than normal cars. I've noticed over the past few years near me, how much the roads are ripped up by buses, in the spots they pull away or change gear. 

Roads aren't fit for purpose in some areas. Funny your car needs to be road worthy...but the roads aren't worthy for cars...only for tanks...and don't get me on speed bumps ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

The big electric con, hydrogen engines or synthetic fuels are the only realistic way for people who do more than pop round town, to actually carry on a normal life.

Untrue.  I’ve had an electric car for over a year and my head office is 185 miles away. No issues.  I think I’ve told you this before in another thread but you seem to still think electric cars are for tiny journeys only for some reason 

Edited by And Its Smith

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I notice it says the exemption will be temporary for residents - my brother lives in the zone and he isn't going to be able to afford to upgrade his vehicle for a long long while. Be interesting to see how long this 'temporary' exemption is set at. 

2 minutes ago, Redstart said:

I notice it says the exemption will be temporary for residents - my brother lives in the zone and he isn't going to be able to afford to upgrade his vehicle for a long long while. Be interesting to see how long this 'temporary' exemption is set at. 

As we've read, by 2030 we aren't even supposed to be making or selling internal combustion engine vehicles. I can't see that happening then, and I can therefore imagine exclusions might be temporary for a lot longer than some might think.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

As we've read, by 2030 we aren't even supposed to be making or selling internal combustion engine vehicles. I can't see that happening then, and I can therefore imagine exclusions might be temporary for a lot longer than some might think.

New vehicles for sure. But I would guess that the second hand market and the ongoing repair and maintenance of petrol and diesel vehicles will remain strong for a great many years.

8 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

New vehicles for sure. But I would guess that the second hand market and the ongoing repair and maintenance of petrol and diesel vehicles will remain strong for a great many years.

Gotta be honest, I'm not sure what the plan is there. My guess is they'll eventually be taxed out of existence apart from as heritage items.

Like the poster above, I just can't see charging points being ready to implement the ambition timeframe they've given themselves though. 

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Gotta be honest, I'm not sure what the plan is there. My guess is they'll eventually be taxed out of existence apart from as heritage items.

Like the poster above, I just can't see charging points being ready to implement the ambition timeframe they've given themselves though. 

Perhaps, but there is such a tax revenue generated on fuel, one wonders how and what will replace it.

In practical terms I agree. I can't see how EVs can be the solution. Not all vehicle owners have their own drive or even a space outside their home.

When you consider how many petrol stations there are, and the frequency of custom and speed of refueling I cannot see how EVs can be fuelled up at anything like the same scale and have such easy access to charging, as we presently have for refueling.

• Admin
2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Untrue.  I’ve had an electric car for over a year and my head office is 185 miles away. No issues.  I think I’ve told you this before in another thread but you seem to still think electric cars are for tiny journeys only for some reason 

Because you are in a minority, how would you cope if every car in the services wanted to share your charger……. The other thing I have said, is I don’t drive a car, I own vans and electric van mileages and their cost make it not possible on either count.

9 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Because you are in a minority, how would you cope if every car in the services wanted to share your charger……. The other thing I have said, is I don’t drive a car, I own vans and electric van mileages and their cost make it not possible on either count.

Okay, I don’t think you will ever get it so let’s leave it 

2 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

When we go all electric how are the government going to make up the 21 billion per year shortfall they will miss  out from the fuel pumps.......put the electricity tariffs up maybe! 

Yes absolutely.  Company cars currently pay zero tax.  Next year it’s 1%, year after it’s 2%.  Will just keep going up 

• Thanks 1

On 06/11/2021 at 16:33, Red-Robbo said:

So does that mean that my council tax is being used to buy Bob the builder, Pete the plumber and Wally the window cleaner a new electric van each?

When can we vote Marvelous out of office?

• Admin
37 minutes ago, knache-red said:

Come on, its only a small area in the centre of Bristol “they” say, cynical extended, in my opinion, to include the Portway. I wonder why.

This is the worst bit, those of us in South Bristol won’t even be able to drive to work the other side of town or Avonmouth by using Winterstoke Road, Rownhan hill and Portbury/M5.  As well as catching lots of the football traffic.

D03D0E0E-AF6B-45C8-8916-868CAA9813F4.jpeg

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't think many of us can.

Hybrids are due to still be on sale until 2040, so for us street parkers there is an option.

Personally, I can see this deadline slipping back and back. 

I mean it's not like you can't buy a new petrol or Diesel car up till the end of 2029 that could conceivably last 15 years, plus there will be plenty of second hand ICE cars for sale after this date, as you say until the infrastructure vastly improves (and the signs are not good) it's what I intend to do.