IGNORED

Steve Lansdown - What he is doing for Bristol

TheCerneAbbasGiant

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Seriously, I don't think his motives should be questioned, even if the results (in terms of football performance) leave much to be desired.

Yes, he's probably aiming to make Bristol Sport, and its facilities, an added value project. But a man of that wealth didn't need to spend his money on this and doesn't really need to make an profit. nor will he, unless he sells. He just needs to recruit better people - and perhaps he already has.

Yes.

Whilst I couldn't give a monkey's about the sports mentioned in the OP, plenty of people do and to make Bristol a centre of excellence for them with top infrastructure and coaches is a good thing to be doing.

With the right staff recruitment Bristol Sport can not only sweep up the financial wreckage from Hurricane Ashton but push on towards emulating that "Barcelona" model.

1 hour ago, sticks 1969 said:

One thing he has done properly 

7A94CA09-3646-4D4D-8416-F46EE33A4CB9.png

43FFC2F6-07B1-4107-8FF5-A883693E9C2D.png

You could have left a picture of the grandstand/enclosure in here from the 1970s or the old stand that predated the Dolman and we'd still look good in comparison.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Dear @TheCerneAbbasGiant - here is a picture of your namesake. Is there any reason you’ve chosen this name? Part of you resembles this figure perhaps?

5B4F191B-ED77-4910-9701-74A385A5EC21.jpeg

Dear Pongo,

Apart from the fact I have stripes on my beer belly, huge nipples and carry a club, nope.

I drink the beer though from the Brewery.

Cerne

Man attends PR event of Lansdown owned company, which has the sole intention of promoting said Lansdown owned company, in the presence of the Lansdown family, and in audience of the Lansdown family, and the next day the man tells everyone about how wonderful the Lansdowns are because they attended an event in honour of a Lansdown owned company that told him how wonderful they are.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Hmmm 1

47 minutes ago, Harry said:

Whereabouts can I read about it? 

You can read here about how of 125 residential units proposed at the sporting quarter, the Lansdowns are offering 0% of the units as affordable housing, despite the local policy stating a minimum of 30% should be provided.

Some would suggest that is the actions of a ruthless, or even 'greedy' developer, as opposed to people with genuine concerns about the community at heart... but I'll let people make their own minds up.

Edit: sorry link 21/03165/F | Demolition of existing buildings and the phased redevelopment of the site to comprise a sports and convention centre, a hotel, 125 residential units, office accommodation, retail, gym, club museum, multi-storey car park, public realm improvements and landscaping, new internal access routes, new and improved vehicular and pedestrian accesses and infrastructure and other associated works and improvements on land west of Ashton Gate Stadium. (Major). | Land To The West Of Ashton Gate Stadium Ashton Road Bristol BS3 2EJ 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Man attends PR event of Lansdown owned company, which has the sole intention of promoting said Lansdown owned company, in the presence of the Lansdown family, and in audience of the Lansdown family, and the next day the man tells everyone about how wonderful the Lansdowns are because they attended an event in honour of a Lansdown owned company that told him how wonderful they are.

Hey kid in the riot. I’m not a star struck man, just someone who loves Bristol City and our community. I’m praising the Lansdowns because my eyes have been opened to what else they do and they are doing something good. I also praise others in our community that do good too. Each to their own and I get your view, but please do not think I’m a ‘man’ who turns up at an event and sucks up to anyone or any company. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You can read here about how of 125 residential units proposed at the sporting quarter, the Lansdowns are offering 0% of the units as affordable housing, despite the local policy stating a minimum of 30% should be provided.

Some would suggest that is the actions of a ruthless, or even 'greedy' developer, as opposed to people with genuine concerns about the community at heart... but I'll let people make their own minds up.

Edit: sorry link 21/03165/F | Demolition of existing buildings and the phased redevelopment of the site to comprise a sports and convention centre, a hotel, 125 residential units, office accommodation, retail, gym, club museum, multi-storey car park, public realm improvements and landscaping, new internal access routes, new and improved vehicular and pedestrian accesses and infrastructure and other associated works and improvements on land west of Ashton Gate Stadium. (Major). | Land To The West Of Ashton Gate Stadium Ashton Road Bristol BS3 2EJ 

I may of missed it, but I can't see anything that says 0% affordable housing.

I saw a part which says there will be a viability test for affordable housing, but that will be for the council to ultimately act upon.

Is there not affordable housing in the Ashton Vale development ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Some of the stuff they do does go under the radar somewhat I feel. Mate of mine’s lad loves the Down’s Syndrome football they do, for example. I know it’s easy to moan when we lose or whatever but our club really is at the heart of our community. 

Quite right, I had a meeting with the community dept of Bristol Bears at Ashton Gate and that same morning the Bears rugby players had personally knocked on the doors of over 300 vulnerable and elderly people in Bristol, just to check they were ok and had everything they needed. Relatively little things can make such a big difference...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

@Kid in the Riothow dare you hijack such a thread about what the great philanthropist is doing for this wonderful city.

Don’t ever question the great man’s motives in wanting to acquire large swathes of land in Ashton Vale. How dare you talk about residential planning consents.

He only ever wanted the land to create a sporting stadium that we’d all be proud of……

No. You’re right. Did he bollocks. All Steve does is what makes Steve feel proud. Or more money.

I didn’t attend the Lansdown PR lunch and I’m sure the Foundation do good. But Steve? He’s in it for Steve. And Jr. And Jr’s Jr…..

3 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I may of missed it, but I can't see anything that says 0% affordable housing.

I saw a part which says there will be a viability test for affordable housing, but that will be for the council to ultimately act upon.

It says so in the Planning Statement. And yes, they are using a viability argument to justify nil affordable housing. One may question what abnormal costs there are on this site to justify such an argument. 

37 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It says so in the Planning Statement. And yes, they are using a viability argument to justify nil affordable housing.

So basically this is questioning reasonable returns as an opt out ???

So much for philantropism.

I guess this (potential) clause isn't means tested??

Edited by Son of Fred

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm guessing he will have to make a contribution to BCC instead so that, in theory, they will build affordable units elsewhere? You can't just decide yourself that you are offering NIL and **** Council policy. It is clearly viability (some might use the word greed instead) related (he will be banging out every unit at the going rate instead of 38 of them at an affordable rate) but it's not as simple as saying he's offering nil and the Council have been screwed over.

That said, the bloke STUCK UP for Swiss Toni and effectively said the fans didn't know what they were talking about and that's certainly not a comment I will forget in a hurry despite the fact that many will.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm guessing he will have to make a contribution to BCC instead so that, in theory, they will build affordable units elsewhere? You can't just decide yourself that you are offering NIL and **** Council policy. It is clearly viability (some might use the word greed instead) related (he will be banging out every unit at the going rate instead of 38 of them at an affordable rate) but it's not as simple as saying he's offering nil and the Council have been screwed over.

That said, the bloke STUCK UP for Swiss Toni and effectively said the fans didn't know what they were talking about and that's certainly not a comment I will forget in a hurry despite the fact that many will.

You guess right

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If a developer decides not to offer affordable housing on a new development then there are huge penalties in that you have to pay an enormous  surcharge to BCC for an  infrastructure levy which goes towards schools/hospitals/affordable housing etc. It's not the actions of a greedy developer - it's the actions of someone who has a vision on a particular development who feels that it's better to pay the penalty than mix in social housing to a particular development.

But, hey, you have your polarised opinion on Steve Lansdown and facts are unlikely to change this.

Personally, having grown up in Broadwalk Knowle and then Whitchurch Lane next to Hartcliffe, I can understand if someone is spending serious money to live in BS3 ( the new sort of Redland) then they really wouldn't want to be in a mixed development with social housing. That doesnt make it right- it just makes it a fact. Same as a dozen NIMBYS preventing a new stadium on their village green in Ashton Vale.

Edited by Marina's Rolls Royce
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

You guess right

If a developer decides not to offer affordable housing on a new development then there are huge penalties in that you have to pay an enormous  surcharge to BCC for an  infrastructure levy which goes towards schools/hospitals/affordable housing etc. It's not the actions of a greedy developer - it's the actions of someone who has a vision on a particular development who feels that it's better to pay the penalty than mix in social housing to a particular development.

But, hey, you have your polarised opinion on Steve Lansdown and facts are unlikely to change this.

Personally, having grown up in Broadwalk Knowle and then Whitchurch Lane next to Hartcliffe, I can understand if someone is spending serious money to live in BS3 ( the new sort of Redland) then they really wouldn't want to be in a mixed development with social housing. That doesnt make it right- it just makes it a fact. Same as a dozen NIMBYS preventing a new stadium on their village green in Ashton Vale.

This is common. There are various ways of doing it too. You can pay a contribution, as you say, you could take the hit and just include the percentage of affordable units and on one site I know of fairly central in Bristol comprising numerous blocks they put all of the affordable units in one single lower specification block away from the rest...................

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It says so in the Planning Statement. And yes, they are using a viability argument to justify nil affordable housing. One may question what abnormal costs there are on this site to justify such an argument. 

So, 0% affordable housing isn't actually fact.

Just now, bcfc01 said:

So, 0% affordable housing isn't actually fact.

In terms of there being NIL affordable housing on the site itself that may well be a fact but you don't normally end up with that privelege for nothing. It might be less of a cost than what people think is fair but that's another argument........

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

In terms of there being NIL affordable housing on the site itself that may well be a fact but you don't normally end up with that privelege for nothing. It might be less of a cost than what people think is fair but that's another argument........

Its down to the council to accept (or not) any viability argument.

As you say, there are trade offs.

Easy, very easy, to snipe and spin.

4 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Yeah, he's bunged in £100m but he'll walk away with shit loads more. 

Hey Steve, why don't you give the Ashton Gate 8 a proper payoff instead of a free lunch in hospitality?

WTF has it got to do with SL ?

It was 40 years ago under different management.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Yeah, he's bunged in £100m but he'll walk away with shit loads more. 

Hey Steve, why don't you give the Ashton Gate 8 a proper payoff instead of a free lunch in hospitality?

Explain exactly how this will happen

Im genuinely interested in your considered reply

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

9 hours ago, maxjak said:

Not Me...........whats's wrong with u all??    Ha! ?      Also,  Gotta say it.....Antoine is a really likeable top lad, who has proved his many doubters on OTIB completely incorrect.

I wasn’t one of them - in fact I posted at the start of the season that Semenyo would become a goalscorer and integral part of the team and I got laughed at…………..:cool2: