IGNORED

Pearson post match

And Its Smith

Shakespeare and his "once more unto the breach, lads" has a lot to answer for. The idea of the big, strong man inspiring exceptional performance merely through a few brilliant "get stuck into 'em, Nakhi/Kasey" sentences is embedded in our football culture and psyche.

We all know Shakespeare wasn't there on the day with a dicta phone taking actual quotes, right?

46 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

But you agree a Manager needs to be able to motivate unlike many on here who don't ?

To some extent, depends on the individuals.  Some motivate themselves.  Someone like Josh Brownhill I could see being self-motivated, perhaps even motivated by his agent rather than his manager.  The personal motivation to improve, to get as far as he could.

Its certainly a skillset a manager has to have imho.

Today, I don’t think his “rant” was about motivation though.  It was about heart and desire, concentration.  Subtly different.  I often talk about the hard yards, the desire to get yourself into position proactively rather than reactively.  Reactively is often too late.

44 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

But without knowing who needs what type of motivation how can you possibly say the players aren't motivated? I know we had this discussion earlier but it's a more general point. Players are putting it in but they are either misguided or lacking in the concentration levels required to play football at this level......that is a kind way of saying they aren't up to it.

You are right, there are different types of motivation.

As with many debates on here it’s not black and white.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Yep, you can motivate to an extent.

You can protect a player publicly like he has done recently, but you probably expect something back.  Today it seems like he feels he got a bit of a kick in the teeth from one or two players.  It maybe was the final straw.

I do agree with that, and it has taken a lot for Pearson to get to this stage where he has gone public.

But now he has he really must act or he will seem as weak as the players. 

• Like 7

We had a great squad under LJ, and then we started playing fantasy football and signing endless  players on bigger and bigger wages. 
Why are some of them going to try so hard to impress when they are on £1m a year for 3 to 4 years.  What is the motivation for them, pay up there contract and go elsewhere or play me and still get paid.

Look at our squad Scott HNM Benarous Pring Semenyo all young looking to get improved contracts and get on in the game.

Wells, Palmer, Kalas on alleged big money and not performing consistently. We have a CB who is allegedly on £25k a week but can only perform alongside a dominant partner. On that wage he should be able to,perform alongside anyone. Had 2 promotions but wasn’t considered good enough to be kept to move up to the PL with each team. 

Weimann had a reduced contract 2nd chance and having his best season ever, Baker reduced contract and was our best defender until his head injuries (says something about our defence that a player who has head injuries was our best performer, putting his body on the line for a third of the wage of our alleged best defender).

The club has got all to cosy and hopefully NP can get rid of some and like he said try to get a squad on equal wages so there is no billy big bucks in the squad and all play to improve there careers. 

Edited by wayne allisons tongues
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

But you agree a Manager needs to be able to motivate unlike many on here who don't ?

Genuinely intrigued to know what you think motivation is. You seem to think it is a certain force that can be given by one person to another. Replace the word ‘motivation’ with ‘desire’. All any manager can do is set (and try to sell) a vision, be available for coaching, set clear direction and generally try to create an environment which allows motivation to flourish. If a player is driving a super car and living in a mansion and decides he doesn’t want to buy in then you get them “off the bus”. The fact is, bad people will blow the most brilliant plan. Great people will make even a useless plan work. 

The whole conversation is probably moot anyway, I suspect our problems stem more from low confidence and fear, rather than anything else. That said, Vyner is not a defender. 

Edited by Southport Red
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Maybe you’ve missed large chunks of relevant news

But the clear out , and who ,was to a large degree dictated by finances

Be sure there were others he would have liked to have traded but if no one is interested ... Well that itself speaks volumes

It was his lack of opportunity to spend and replace that was , and is the problem, , and will be for a while yet

My best estimate would be summer 2023/the 2023/24 season unfortunately. Maybe a bit further along if less optimistic- I expect NP will be hamstrung next season too financially speaking.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My best estimate would be summer 2023/the 2023/24 season unfortunately. Maybe a bit further along if less optimistic- I expect NP will be hamstrung next season too financially speaking.

Indeed. But there are a few wage sponges we may be able to get off the books. 

I think the heady days of being able to compete with other clubs for the signatures of hotly rated players is over though.  We'll have to cast our net in waters less trawled. 

It's one reason why I wish Pearson could be persuaded to look at loans.

• Like 2

When Pearson talked of heart it seemed to me that he was talking more about about strength/guts to put in a tackle, stop a cross, block a shot, communicate well with a team mate rather than general motivation. It was about the incidents by individuals that led to goals. A good example would be Vyner on the third goal - a soft challenge; well actually no challenge at all. 

• Like 4

On the pitch, the return of Tanner, Atkinson, Baker- this would help, both in respect of individuals and competition. Plus would enable us to more strongly consider a back 4.

James with his experience, perhaps could help the midfield to relieve some pressure on the defence, a clearly fully fit Massengo and Williams would also be welcome.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Next season he will be judged on whether he can put together a play off push.

Wholly agree on first point. Box ticked with probable survival, wage bill reduced, seeing young players emerge and more intent in recent months.

Playoff push next season? Don't see it myself. Then again- a fair wind with injuries, getting the odd penalty every now and then, seeing the young players develop and if we can make some smart additions, while offloading two high earners in particular- might move the dial. Oh and avoiding FFP penalties.

It's a big ask but maybe a playoff push if most things or everything in the 2nd Paragraph happens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wholly agree on first point. Box ticked with probable survival, wage bill reduced, seeing young players emerge and more intent in recent months.

Playoff push next season? Don't see it myself. Then again- a fair wind with injuries, getting the odd penalty every now and then, seeing the young players develop and if we can make some smart additions, while offloading two high earners in particular- might move the dial. Oh and avoiding FFP penalties.

It's a big ask but maybe a playoff push if most things or everything in the 2nd Paragraph happens.

My modest aim for next season would be a 6-12th finish. That would represent real progress and is about all we can hope for.

The wheels nearly came off the Bristol City juggernaut last season.  Staying up and laying down some seeds for long-term success was this season's priority. In 22/23 I think we should demand to see some of the fruits of that.  

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, eardun said:

When Pearson talked of heart it seemed to me that he was talking more about about strength/guts to put in a tackle, stop a cross, block a shot, communicate well with a team mate rather than general motivation. It was about the incidents by individuals that led to goals. A good example would be Vyner on the third goal - a soft challenge; well actually no challenge at all. 

It's absolutely this that he was on about and I'm surprised that more people haven't realised it. (of course, there are some who know full well but are deliberately misinterpreting it for their own agendas)

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

I mean, tough to say, but following for many years now and these are arguably ‘the good times’. Other than a few years in the top flight in very different times, it’s been mainly this league or the one below. This is for us a pretty good extended run in the second division.

Most of the time when we have had to rebuild we have had to drop a league to do so. There is still a risk of a struggle next year, but if NP gets us through this season and next and we are still playing Championship football, I will take that, because I think we will be well set.

Its a bit dull, but it’s where we are.

Edited by cityexile
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, eardun said:

That's exactly how I interpreted his comments .

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cityexile said:

I mean, tough to say, but following for many years now and these are arguably ‘the good times’. Other than a few years in the top flight in very different times, it’s been mainly this league or the one below. This is for us a pretty good extended run in the second division.

Most of the time when we have had to rebuild we have had to drop a league to do so. There is still a risk of a struggle next year, but if NP gets us through this season and next and we are still playing Championship football, I will take that, because I think we will be well set.

Its a bit dull, but it’s where we are.

Supported since 1998 and I can only talk from my personal experience but this seems right based on my time.

Should we have achieved more? I'd say so- there was of course not twisting in January 2008 and then the failure to capitalise by reaching the top 6 a decade on- experience of the 2018 Cup run in particular, but some of the others and we still had a lot of the players, that Cup experience would have been perfect for a playoff campaign.

2019 had we been a bit bolder in January 2019, might a top 6 place have been ours? Still had some players with significant Cup experience too. 2019/20 was a different sort of failure as while on one hand the football was worst out of those 3 seasons, LJ getting everything he wanted left him with nowhere to go.

Now it feels like we might be in the post phase- from GJ, via Coppell, to Millen and eventually McInnes and O'Driscoll. Yet there are differences- if we stay up this and next season, retaining a good number of our younger players then better times under NP could lie ahead. Bit of a long haul I expect.

• Like 4

I’ve not had the time to read through this whole thread, so apologies if this has been said.

For me, now would be a great time to hear from Jon Lansdown or Richard Gould.

Something backing Pearson. A statement saying that Pearson is still our man and we back his three year plan. If players don’t get behind him, then we support him in shipping them out.

He’s here challenging the cosy club nature that many of us have bemoaned over the last decade, or maybe even two decades.

How many times have we heard that we’re too nice? Well, we have a manager now who sees that and wants to shake it up and change it. A new culture isn’t born in a year, this is going to take time and the cosy club has been embedded for almost a generation.

If they’re going to back Pearson, which I think they should, then they need to go all in.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I’ve not had the time to read through this whole thread, so apologies if this has been said.

Something backing Pearson. A statement saying that Pearson is still our man and we back his three year plan. If players don’t get behind him, then we support him in shipping them out.

He’s here challenging the cosy club nature that many of us have bemoaned over the last decade, or maybe even two decades.

How many times have we heard that we’re too nice? Well, we have a manager now who sees that and wants to shake it up and change it. A new culture isn’t born in a year, this is going to take time and the cosy club has been embedded for almost a generation.

If they’re going to back Pearson, which I think they should, then they need to go all in.

I agree but, to play Devil’s Advocate, if they did that, there would be posters on here saying “vote of confidence from the Chairman, NPis clearly on his way out”. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Reckon the time for that would be at the end of the season. Right now, it would look like a bit of a knee-jerk response to two poor away results. Before the summer re-ordering, it makes a statement of confidence in the plan. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Thanks for telling me my own views,  I can only assume that your post was blinded by your complete lack of wit and intellect. 

Genuinely had less aggro from someone who abused me for months and is with the police to deal with, than idiots on here. Think about that for a moment.

I can only assume therefore that your post sounding off here is more preferable to abusing someone else.

It's not the gaslighting or the frankly crappy small willy waving that bothers me, its the little pricks who dont want to hear any other views than their own. 

It's like watching a cult in action some times and is thoroughly depressing to see.

Football is subjective and isnt about having the same opinions. I'm really sorry that you can't work that out. 

Ohh dear, had a bad day?  

Still makes a nice change from having a pop at Pearson, so do you feel better now??

11 minutes ago, Mr Chappers said:

Struggling with NP’s comments, young team, little in reserve, players out of position, not a particularly good team. They have to put in maximum effort to get any points, and I’ve certainly not noticed any lack of commitment. The lack of fit central midfield options definitely doesn’t help.

Sensible post.