IGNORED

FBC Podcast - Boro [H] & more

headhunter

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/perfect-day/  [also on Spotify etc.]

DaveP reviews the match action with the intelligent Neil Sutton and a more mellow Ian Gay!

It really was a perfect day yesterday - a cracking game against a decent team, two expertly taken goals, Bentley between the sticks and back to his best. 

The AG8 celebrations were superbly stage managed by all involved and it was touching to hear Sir Geoff say "the past 3 days have been amongst the best of my life". I was at the dinner the previous evening and from various comments there I think the players can see that with the stadium and HPC their sacrifice coupled with Steve's money meant it was worth it.

The past two months have created an awareness of what the AG8 were about to a whole new generation of fans [under 45's] and wouldn't it be a fitting tribute if a pre-season friendly against a top flight UK or European team was arranged with all proceeds going to them? This was done in March 82 barely two months after they'd ripped up their contracts and a paltry 6000 turned up to watch Ipswich vs Southampton play out a 2-2 draw.

I reckon against decent opposition we could double that attendance and with a pricing structure of £5 for kids and £15 for adults [club keep all commercial revenue on the day]  - I calculate that could raise £120k which is £15k each. These are not rich men and with most in their 70s whilst it isn't a life changing sum it is a few cruises or however else they choose to spend it on themselves or families.

Edited by headhunter
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2

2 minutes ago, headhunter said:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/perfect-day/  [also on Spotify etc.]

DaveP reviews the match action with the intelligent Neil Sutton and a more mellow Ian Gay!

It really was a perfect day yesterday - a cracking game against a decent team, two expertly taken goals, Bentley between the sticks and back to his best. 

The AG8 celebrations were superbly stage managed by all involved and it was touching to hear Sir Geoff say "the past 3 days have been amongst the best of my life". I was at the dinner the previous evening and from various comments there I think the players can see that with the stadium and HPC their sacrifice coupled with Steve's money meant it was worth it.

The past two months have created an awareness of what the AG8 were about to a whole new generation of fans [under 45's] and wouldn't it be a fitting tribute if a pre-season friendly against a top flight UK or European team was arranged with all proceeds going to them? This was done in March 82 barely two months after they'd ripped up their contracts and a paltry 6000 turned up to watch Ipswich vs Southampton play out a 2-2 draw.

I reckon against decent opposition we could double that attendance and with a pricing structure of £5 for kids and £15 for adults [club keep all commercial revenue on the day]  - I calculate that could raise £120k which is £15k each. These are not rich men and with most in their 70s whilst it isn't a life changing sum it is a few cruises or however else they choose to spend it on themselves or families.

Two things:

- Like that idea. A lot.

- We didn’t play Reading yesterday 

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to FBC Podcast - Boro [H] & more
5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Trying not to be picky, but Ian said Williams is getting booked every game and has 6 so far and has four games before he gets a ban.

According to Transfermarkt he's had 13 games and been booked 5 times this season.

Transfermarkt must be wrong. There’s no way Ian can be. 

About anything.

Ever.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Trying not to be picky, but Ian said Williams is getting booked every game and has 6 so far and has four games before he gets a ban.

According to Transfermarkt he's had 13 games and been booked 5 times this season.

I think he's got 6 yellows this season.

1 in each of the last 4 games, plus Blackburn(h); and Millwall(a).

I feared the worst a bit when he got booked so early(8th min, during the card tribute in the Dolman i think); but thereafter impressed me with his ability to not only not pick up a second yellow; but also keeping his gob shut for once and not getting done for dissent.

26 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I think he's got 6 yellows this season.

1 in each of the last 4 games, plus Blackburn(h); and Millwall(a).

I feared the worst a bit when he got booked so early(8th min, during the card tribute in the Dolman i think); but thereafter impressed me with his ability to not only not pick up a second yellow; but also keeping his gob shut for once and not getting done for dissent.

Swansea game isn't showing a booking ?

Edit - check and he was booked in the 94th minute so yes, 6 bookings.

Edited by bcfc01

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

image.thumb.png.1c93d40b485438d08a2be761e428c812.png

FWIW, Should Joe Williams get 4 more bookings to reach 10 he needs to get one in each of the next 4 games, as the 10 booking amnesty is 37 games, same for Martin, Scott and Pring.

74E6B545-36F8-40F1-96C9-ED37B3C4D62D.thumb.jpeg.746079b1774aac7939fc1baffc379c80.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

It sort of also fundamentally misunderstands Williams’ game, too.

He tackles far more than most midfielders these days, so he is going to get booked a lot as a result. That’s what he did at Wigan.

He has also probably played enough to know what he can get away with without picking up a second booking.

I suppose Ian is bound to moan about something, though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He tackles far more than most midfielders these days, so he is going to get booked a lot as a result. That’s what he did at Wigan.

He has also probably played enough to know what he can get away with without picking up a second booking.

Ian would be the first to moan we don’t have anyone like Gow, or more modern Ben Pearson….a disruptive player who opponents know is around, who they might get caught by with a tackle off a poor touch.  He gets in peoples heads.

As long as his yellows are for tackles rather than mouthing I have no problem at all.

I sensed Crooks might get a red yesterday, it didn’t materialise, but Scott getting him booked early on was a good tactic, it kept Crooks from pushing the boundaries.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Ian would be the first to moan we don’t have anyone like Gow, or more modern Ben Pearson….a disruptive player who opponents know is around, who they might get caught by with a tackle off a poor touch.  He gets in peoples heads.

As long as his yellows are for tackles rather than mouthing I have no problem at all.

I sensed Crooks might get a red yesterday, it didn’t materialise, but Scott getting him booked early on was a good tactic, it kept Crooks from pushing the boundaries.

100%- Williams basically is a Ben Pearson clone, irritating as an opponent but someone you love having on your side.
Also noticed that first half Dasilva, who hardly strikes you as a master of the dark arts, was repeatedly blocking Isaiah Jones off the ball & a fair bit of shirt pulling & niggle was also going on.

Clearly a tactic to deal with their most creative outlet, which broadly worked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

How many of his 6 were for dissent?

@Davefevs not sure there is a breakdown for this or not? But we've had a fair few bookings for dissent this season haven't we??

18 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Nice words and insights regarding the AG8 from Ian and Dave.

Thanks for that.

If there is something positive to say we'll always say it. Notwithstanding picking Ian up on facts like, for example, the number of bookings Joe Williams has [he was right on that one!], but its not what he says but how he says it and that latter aspect is what I think irks most people about him.

• Like 1

Bell is a right footer, plays LF / RF in the main, although can play down the middle.

You need a Countdown Clock too!

It was me who posted the yellow card rules….so Ian was right - “the bloke who said 10 is correct”.  Of course I’m right, I deal in facts, not opinions stated a# facts! ???

Re refs, last season, no crowd pressure….gone back to their bad old ways this season.

Good recall Neil - Ulloa and Japanese lad!

Geoff Merrick - he might be 5’7” now, he’s 70 and shrunk a bit!

Agree with Ian re Sweeney at RB in my time too.  Also bit about players finally realising that the club (now) recognise them.  A good sign, hopefully Gould’s influence.

Jimmy Mann’s goal was top corner not bottom corner…was still rising!

Neil made me laugh re Jon Lansdown.  Brilliant stuff. ??? Jon is a fan, not a Chairman.  His comments were made in that vain, he should remember his position.

image.thumb.jpeg.17ea8352936f25dade4485edd06aef7c.jpeg

Interesting debate re ownership.  Should be a spin-off pod re finances / ownership.

Re Kelly, Brownhill and Webster - the last two we would need to probably pay Preston and Ipswich a cut too.

Re sell and loan back - can’t see Nige wanting that.  Not sure staged payments will make much difference, that is usually reflected by an increase in fee to cover “credit”.  We aren’t a club that suffers from cash flow issues per se either.

Good point re season tickets, fans will need a boost, contracts would help boost numbers imho.  I thought the crowd looked good on Saturday, didn’t look as sparse as recent weeks.

A good pod this week. ??????

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I listen to the podcast every week and am normally in broad agreement with most of what is said.  I really enjoyed what was an excellent podcast apart from the rather rude and unnecessary taking apart of John Lansdown. I considered that to be in dreadfully bad taste and as the owners son and club chairman deserves some respect rather than the lack of respect that he got.

If I was Steve or his wife I would find some of the comments about my Son upsetting. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

I listen to the podcast every week and am normally in broad agreement with most of what is said.  I really enjoyed what was an excellent podcast apart from the rather rude and unnecessary taking apart of John Lansdown. I considered that to be in dreadfully bad taste and as the owners son and club chairman deserves some respect rather than the lack of respect that he got.

If I was Steve or his wife I would find some of the comments about my Son upsetting. 

Hi Jon. Don't take offence, it was said in a jocular manner and wasn't meant to upset you.

Good Robin by the way.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Jon started it with some poor comments in his role as Chairman on Wednesday afternoon at the Huboo launch.  Perfectly fine comments from a fan’s view, but as Chairman they were on the inappropriate side.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Enjoyed Neil’s contribution as ever.

Good job too that there is someone on it who actually knows how old our players are, some random stuff otherwise.

@NcnsBcfc even you didn’t pick them up on the “nearly 35 year old” Klose, who is 33, though..

@GrahamC well i thought he was 33, but when Ian indicated 34; i thought Oh well whats in a year.

Stick with what i said about Klose being Captain next season (if he stays of course).

After both our goals, Klose and Williams got called over by NP to take on/pass on instructions. I think Pearson will be aware of who are the leaders in the group.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aa_bcfc said:

I apologise if my comments came across as disrespectful. Without Jon being a fan, Steve Lansdown would never have invested in us.

So by default, Jon is one of the best things to ever have happened to the club.?

However he's a fan, not a chairman; and his use of language over the last few years has never been his best facet.

For me the nadir, was when after a 6 week "exhaustive search" we appointed LJ's assistant; followed by his Churchillian speech describing him as a good human. Brilliant stuff.....

7 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

@GrahamC well i thought he was 33, but when Ian indicated 34; i thought Oh well whats in a year.

Stick with what i said about Klose being Captain next season (if he stays of course).

After both our goals, Klose and Williams got called over by NP to take on/pass on instructions. I think Pearson will be aware of who are the leaders in the group.

Think I posted the same suggestion about Klose yesterday.

Wise to steer the conversation away from speculative sell ons, agreed with Ian (I do sometimes) on giving Cundy a chance when we are safe, still think those confidently predicting another deal for him are doing so on too little evidence.

Speaking of which another classic Ian “stat” was the one that Cundy apparently made the most clearances in L1, which seeing as he only featured 18 times there last season, seems highly improbable to me.

Edited by GrahamC

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I apologise if my comments came across as disrespectful. Without Jon being a fan, Steve Lansdown would never have invested in us.

So by default, Jon is one of the best things to ever have happened to the club.?

However he's a fan, not a chairman; and his use of language over the last few years has never been his best facet.

For me the nadir, was when after a 6 week "exhaustive search" we appointed LJ's assistant; followed by his Churchillian speech describing him as a good human. Brilliant stuff.....

The comments were not disrespectful to me but perhaps they would be to Steve and his wife after what they have contributed to the club. The comments about JL not being able to string a sentence together and the Dick Emery jibe (I know that was not you) were in my view plain wrong. Also, none of us have any idea on whether Steve would not want John anywhere near any of his other business's as he would be unable to work in those environments. He may well be wholly capable but prefer his role at Bristol Sport. 

Personally I'm ok with the Chairman also being a fan. Scot Davidson and Les Kew were and still are. Although not the chairman (I think it was Des Williams?) its lucky that directors Darren Coller and Ken Sage were fans or else it's unlikely that we would have a club to support.

With regard to the shambolic 6 weeks process that was probably as much down to Mark Ashton as CEO as it was JL. Lets be fair no one, including Steve Lansdown, came out of that sorry process with any glory. 

• Like 1