IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

6 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

It’s a shame to lose Semenyo. 

But it was also a shame to lose Webster, Kelly, Pack, Brownhill… the list goes on. 

Bristol City will continue to see their (our) best players leave for ‘better times’ until we play in the Premiership ourselves. 

I consider ourselves a ‘bigger’ club than Bournemouth, Brentford and at least the same size as Palace and Brighton in the current Premiership. One day we will (could) be poaching their best players too. 

Even then. You’re at risk of losing quality players to the big six or seven clubs in the PL. It’s a food chain. Way it goes

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

But it was also a shame to lose Webster, Kelly, Pack, Brownhill… the list goes on. 

Bristol City will continue to see their (our) best players leave for ‘better times’ until we play in the Premiership ourselves. 

I consider ourselves a ‘bigger’ club than Bournemouth, Brentford and at least the same size as Palace and Brighton in the current Premiership. One day we will (could) be poaching their best players too. 

How do you determine that we are bigger than them?

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

It's just going to make me laugh, when we are going to have the same people demanding Pearson being sacked when we look turgid again.

Good luck boys. Keeping us up this season and next will be the miracle. Imo he'd deserve manager of the season if it happens. 

We all know deep down who the problems are at the club. 

It will just be amusing if we see posters demanding him go when this is what he is working with.

How much do you think our players should be on to keep them? Let’s say we pay them 20k a week, 15 players at that is 15 million a year. We get around 6million in season ticket sales, where does the money to balance the books come from? We’ve got to sell at least one player every season just to cut the massive losses every year.

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You have a certain level of validity in your argument on one level but it doesn't fully reflect the reality of the situation.

Cornick would be a useful replacement should we get him, maybe we can sign a PL loanee or 2 as well cost permitting.

Plus we aren't going down. We'll get someone in and injuries seem to be on our side finally. Kalas and Weimann not far away, shame about Wilson, Benarous and Conway of course.

Can see both sides of the coin, one says keep best players and progress, the other says sell and bring in less exp youngsters and repeat.

If Cornick is/could be a usefull replacement why the heck didnt Bournemouth buy him and save themselves millions?

Are we forever going to be a stepping stone for players to a higher level, like those now at Fulham, Leeds, Brighton, Bournemouth ffs we should be matching those four and a few more not off loading our best players to them.

Yes understand they can offer better terms but we are never going to get anywhere soon unless we decide to build a team/squad and not constantly cash in on our best.

This policy seems to get us no-where except back to where we started, we need to push on at some stage not knockdown what we have and start again.:dunno:

14 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Unless we change our policy we wont, how exactly do we get to the prem if we cannot keep our best?

37 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The end of the day. This is a club going nowhere fast. 

Whilst we watch other clubs get away with **** knows what ie Bournemouth. 

We need new ownership. 

How much of that will we get for new players? My guess is not much.

And how can you even replace somebody like Semenyo? You can't. So to sell him in January is not only baffling, it's a Hitler esque shooting oneself in the foot. 

qNeazP.gif

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

News flash we are not the biggest football team in the world, the way football works is bigger (or should I say Premier League) clubs buy players from smaller (non premier league) clubs.  We then buy players from smaller clubs (e.g. Matty Taylor) and then bigger clubs buy our players.  Even Man Utd have their players bought from them by Real Madrid.  It's the way it works, and the way it's always worked.  It doesn't show a lack of ambition at all, it's just the natural order of football.  

I agree. Add into this the fact players have little or no loyalty, they will play wherever for the highest pay cheque. They don't feel for the club like we do, its their job and they aren't emotionally attached to the same level as we are.

It is somewhat frustrating to see our talent leaving, but understand the reasons mentioned and accept as a fan there is very little we can do to change this.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

5 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Why are some people talking like Semenyo was some kind of super star and single handedly keeping us in the championship?

Exactly, he has potential, but that’s it. For every good finish, there was a shot that hit the Robins pub! Think we got good money for potential, especially if we have a decent sell on clause.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Why are some people talking like Semenyo was some kind of super star and single handedly keeping us in the championship?

I mean, if he hadn’t scored against Blackburn we would have lost, didn’t score against Swansea in the FA Cup we would be out, didn’t score against Cov… yep we would have lost…

Current form doesn’t look too rosy then does it?

1 hour ago, gl2 said:

Can see both sides of the coin, one says keep best players and progress, the other says sell and bring in less exp youngsters and repeat.

If Cornick is/could be a usefull replacement why the heck didnt Bournemouth buy him and save themselves millions?

Are we forever going to be a stepping stone for players to a higher level, like those now at Fulham, Leeds, Brighton, Bournemouth ffs we should be matching those four and a few more not off loading our best players to them.

Yes understand they can offer better terms but we are never going to get anywhere soon unless we decide to build a team/squad and not constantly cash in on our best.

This policy seems to get us no-where except back to where we started, we need to push on at some stage not knockdown what we have and start again.:dunno:

This is a balanced asessment.

I am hoping that as we go through the financial rebuild, we will move into a position where we can more easily resist these types of offers. Yes I know the PL is very difficult to resist or certain European clubs for that matter but even if this is the case, the value must be maximised-- moving forward I believe that we'll be in a paoiton to do this, or keep our best players for longer if this not met.

Unsure about Leeds, think they are and have been a bigger club than us throughout the bulk of their history.

Scott is contracted until 2025 and we are seeking to tie him down for longer- but hopefully if he goes in the summer he will be the last for some time and we will maximise his value.

Cornick I see as a useful replacement tactically albeit not one with such a high ceiling as Semenyo.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

I’m really not sure about the rants I’ve seen on here. Selling best players blah blah, season ticket blah blah, etc etc

City needed money from somewhere and this opens the opportunity to maybe have a little to spend come July. It also opens a pathway for Sam Bell. It’s how it works! That’s how Brentford did it and what we are trying to emulate.  

If Premier clubs come for your players then it’s incredibly difficult to keep hold of players who are dreaming of the riches available!

Anyway newsflash, it’s highly likely Alex Scott will be gone by the beginning of next season and hopefully another lad will come through or be brought in. Get used to it! Most are!!

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

Exactly, he has potential, but that’s it. For every good finish, there was a shot that hit the Robins pub! Think we got good money for potential, especially if we have a decent sell on clause.

It wasn't that long ago that we had him out on loan to Newport County & Bath City. I hope he can reach his potential at Bournemouth but something tells me otherwise.

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I wouldn’t be quite as sad if I knew I’d see him run out in front 50,000 fans cheering him on his home debut.

But 10,000!! I just want more for my boy.

Yes, he will be disappointed when he runs out at Dean Court  "Where TF is everybody, this is like AG in the first round of the League Cup !"

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I mean, if he hadn’t scored against Blackburn we would have lost, didn’t score against Swansea in the FA Cup we would be out, didn’t score against Cov… yep we would have lost…

That's a skewed argument. It's not as though we would have played those games with ten men.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Bit of a weak argument, if he wasn't playing someone else would have.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1