IGNORED

FA Cup 22-23

22A

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I wouldn't say Wolves was a good draw as it was in the fifth round. At that point in the competition you're pretty much guaranteed to get a big club.

Our luck of drawing anyone big in rounds 3 and 4 is absolutely pathetic. It's literally been happening since 1994 - nearly 30 years. 

I looked last night as I couldn’t remember all of the recent ones but that one struck me as the least worst, as Wolves were near the start of their Portuguese based run of success then.

West Ham the year before was decent too but typically we only had about half a stadium available at the time.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I looked last night as I couldn’t remember all of the recent ones but that one struck me as the least worst, as Wolves were near the start of their Portuguese based run of success then.

West Ham the year before was decent too but typically we only had about half a stadium available at the time.

When was the last decent away one? Liverpool and that was a replay?

9 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

When was the last decent away one? Liverpool and that was a replay?

Away from home you're probably looking at Leicester at the new Walkers stadium in 2003. As we'd been in L1 a few years I recall it was quite an exciting draw at a big, new ground. But pretty sure Leicester were in the Championship at the time. 

The fact that game stands out to me shows how dire our draws have been. 

Meanwhile Oxford rock up this evening and draw Arsenal ?‍♂️

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Away from home you're probably looking at Leicester at the new Walkers stadium in 2003. As we'd been in L1 a few years I recall it was quite an exciting draw at a big, new ground. But pretty sure Leicester were in the Championship at the time. 

Boro were in the prem I think when we went there but that was a replay too. 

That Leicester game is probably it then.

• Like 1

I remember going to Hillsborough for a 3rd round match in early December (1999), can't remember the reason the 3rd round was being played early.  Lost 1-0 to Wednesday, rubbish game and result under the management of Pulis, nearing the end of his days with us.  No atmoshphere in a Hillisborough crowd of under 12,000.  What a fun day that was!

Sheffield Wednesday v Bristol City, 11 December 1999 - 11v11 match report

15 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

I remember going to Hillsborough for a 3rd round match in early December (1999), can't remember the reason the 3rd round was being played early.  Lost 1-0 to Wednesday, rubbish game and result under the management of Pulis, nearing the end of his days with us.  No atmoshphere in a Hillisborough crowd of under 12,000.  What a fun day that was!

Sheffield Wednesday v Bristol City, 11 December 1999 - 11v11 match report

Danny Wilson would have been managing Sheff Wed I think?

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Think we lost 3-0 too? I remember going to both Walkers Stadium and Filbert Street when I was a kid as we had family up there. 

Ah 3-0 at Filbert Street apparently. https://www.11v11.com/matches/leicester-city-v-bristol-city-17-february-2001-5057/

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Danny Wilson would have been managing Sheff Wed I think?

Yep, he definitely was. I remember thinking his programme notes were quite patronising about how the game was a potential banana skin for Sheff Wed because City might raise their game against the big boys. 

1 hour ago, Super said:

Wasn't that 95 when they won it? Sure I remember Joe Royle saying it was one of their toughest games.

Both. 1995 lost to a Matt Jackson goal, remember Everton fans celebrating on the pitch. Then in 1999 lost to two late Bakayoko goals. Can still remember a Louis Carey slip at fault for one of them! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Super said:

Wasn't that 95 when they won it? Sure I remember Joe Royle saying it was one of their toughest games.

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Both. 1995 lost to a Matt Jackson goal, remember Everton fans celebrating on the pitch. 

Two friends of mine, one an Everton supporter got tickets in the away end for that game. One of them told me after that the Everton fans were shitting themselves they were going to get rolled over. Junior Bent was flying that day, and he said you could hear them saying "he's skinning us" every time he got the ball. He reckoned they were on the pitch out of relief in the end.

• Like 1