IGNORED

What a performance!

Last 2 have been the kind of performances I have been begging for since NP has been here. Minus Naismith we could have played this team for the last 12 months. I am glad the epiphany has happened now though.

High energy, well organised and quality on the ball. This is a side, with some luck, you can see growing into the season and pushing a playoff spot with still 2 of our 5 best(most likely) players to return. We went from being the side with a good 10-20 minutes spell to the side that has to deal with the other sides best 10-20 minute spell. The game was almost over after the first goal and you could feel them sink into surrender mode after the second. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I appreciate the sarcasm I really do but mid table would be a big step forward.  I can’t see how we have the squad depth for any better than 10th which was my prediction before a ball was kicked.  We still get our fair share of injuries even if that has improved and Williams can’t play Saturday and Tuesday 

If you can finish 10th you can finish 4th. The league is too competitive. We see it every year. 2-3 teams pull away at the top. 4-12 is a difference of 10 points or so. We arguably played better on Tuesday without Williams. Yes midfield could get light but that is the championship. A bit of luck this team could 100% finish higher than 10th. Bad luck can still be in a relegation battle. It’s the championship. 

6 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Cmon I know some don’t rate him, but he was probably their biggest threat in spells today. Regularly got to the byline / edge of the box especially that 15-20 mins before HT

And just shows how shit we made them look. 

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Cmon I know some don’t rate him, but he was probably their biggest threat in spells today. Regularly got to the byline / edge of the box especially that 15-20 mins before HT

He probably did, but I completely forgot he was playing, especially second half. 

16 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

You could say that, it wouldn’t have been unjust if we’d been behind at half time - could have gone either way in that period

Agree it would’ve been unjust, but disagree it could’ve gone either way. We carved out the better chances IMO, Conway should’ve scored from an identically position Wells scored from in midweek, and then Conway should’ve picked out Wells for a tap-in — both before we got our first. That’s me splitting hairs in what was another solid team performance, mind. 

Edited by tin

48 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I appreciate the sarcasm I really do but mid table would be a big step forward.  I can’t see how we have the squad depth for any better than 10th which was my prediction before a ball was kicked.  We still get our fair share of injuries even if that has improved and Williams can’t play Saturday and Tuesday 

I agree that mid table would be fair progress this year. But after the week we’ve just had, I’m not sure I’d take it if offered right now. If we can hit that level of performance consistently, I reckon we would make the play offs.

We’ve set the bar, now the challenge is to maintain that standard for the rest of the season.

Also nice that we appear to have found a formula that is entertaining AND capable of winning matches and keeping clean sheets. It’s been a long time since we’ve had that.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

The poor quality opposition that went to Swansea and won yesterday? Maybe our performance was even better than we realised especially with 10 men?

Think we have too many fans who think:

Good result means the opposition must be poor 

Poor result means we were poor.

I.e. loath to give us much credit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

The poor quality opposition that went to Swansea and won yesterday? Maybe our performance was even better than we realised especially with 10 men?

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Think we have too many fans who think:

Good result means the opposition must be poor 

Poor result means we were poor.

I.e. loath to give us much credit.

Nope, not what I said and not what I meant.

We were excellent on Tuesday and again today. But the outcome of any match is always the product of both teams performances, and I was worried that we wouldn’t be able to replicate the Luton performance against a side playing better than they were, or adopting more effective tactics against us  - irrespective of Luton’s result against Swansea, they weren’t very good against us on Tuesday.

Delighted that we again played very well and again got the win, obviously, and that a different team failed to stop us.

• Like 2

Ok the first half, just about edged it I think, missed Scott being in the middle a little.

2nd half Cardiff started well, but we got stuck into them a bit more, battled well and then started outplaying them. 2nd half was Luton mk2 with the pressing and the outstanding tackles from Scott, Williams and Massengo.

This side has slowly transitioned under NP from a side who could barely muster a shot on target most weeks to a team who have 4 or 5 players who could easily get double figures at this level.

Got to hand it to the team, after two defeats to start we've bounced back rather well and probably say a decent start to the season. We look better than last season and stilll have Kalas and Semenyo to return.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I remember the post. This isn’t a dig by the way we all change our minds. You said previously you’ve spoken to him a lot pre match & (paraphrasing ) he’s opinionated but you like him 

Ian Gay is the most opinionated person that I’ve met! and he’s never wrong but that doesn’t mean I dislike him. He can and does sometimes  talk sense. What pisses me off is his constant criticism of Nige, 80% of which is without any context. 

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ian Gay is the most opinionated person that I’ve met! and he’s never wrong but that doesn’t mean I dislike him. He can and does sometimes  talk sense. What pisses me off is his constant criticism of Nige, 80% of which is without any context. 

Spooky

As it’s so similar to your criticism of Gary Johnson ,

which was a whole %100 , without any context 

Pot - Kettle

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Some people are strange like that . He obviously wants him to fail. How could anyone want you’re own club to fail. I’ve said it many a time. I didn’t like how Steve cotterill came across , very arrogant , but I’d never want our team to fail . Cotts is now a proper city legend for what he delivered & im very happy about that . 

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Spooky

As it’s so similar to your criticism of Gary Johnson ,

which was a whole %100 , without any context 

Pot - Kettle

That’s not strictly true - my criticism of GJ was based entirely on the shite football that he served up.  Sure, he managed somehow to get results but I never left AG feeling that I’d been entertained.

I’ve felt that have been entertained certainly in the last two games at AG. That ‘buzz’ that was missing under GJ is back

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Some people are strange like that . He obviously wants him to fail. How could anyone want you’re own club to fail. I’ve said it many a time. I didn’t like how Steve cotterill came across , very arrogant , but I’d never want our team to fail . Cotts is now a proper city legend for what he delivered & im very happy about that . 

Ian Gay wants to be right all the time - end of.

6 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

id imagine wells and conway have done a lot of work together both being so close to first team for a while now.can see wells staying longer with a new contract if they keep this up

I urge anyone who gets into the ground 30 minutes before k/o to watch Jason Euell’s drills with Martin, Weimann, Wells and Conway in the practice net.

Its very slick, no pissing about by trying to blast it at Max (for example), loads of combos, rotating who does those combos.

Its up a notch…I think it is improving us.

@Sheltons Army 

@spudski
- you’ll both love it

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I urge anyone who gets into the ground 30 minutes before k/o to watch Jason Euell’s drills with Martin, Weimann, Wells and Conway in the practice net.

Its very slick, no pissing about by trying to blast it at Max (for example), loads of combos, rotating who does those combos.

@Sheltons Army 

@spudski
- you’ll both love it

Glad to hear this Dave . Jason seems to come with a lot of pedigree . Our movement up top is quality 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Sheltons Army 

@spudski
- you’ll both love it

Yes I did notice this. ?

• Robin 1

13 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Glad to hear this Dave . Jason seems to come with a lot of pedigree . Our movement up top is quality 

I think you may be right. I see Jason Ewell very active in the technical area. It could be Jason having a big impact on Conway and Wells performance of late.

1 minute ago, City1970 said:

I think you may be right. I see Jason Ewell very active in the technical area. It could be Jason having a big impact on Conway and Wells performance of late.

Good to hear . I’m in the dolman & rarely look across to the dugouts unless there’s a sub taking place. Jason was a  very decent prem striker as well 

• Like 1