IGNORED

What defines a 'real fan'?

SecretSam

No one can deny that you are a real fan. In fact only you can answer how much of a fan you are. I would just ask one question. What will you remember in 10 years time? Driving 20 miles down the road to see some of City's legends of the past 15 years, Scott, Conway, Semenyo,, in the flesh as well as witnessing Kadji's debut goal, or your family tea ?

There are loads of reasons why fans can’t attend games. It doesn’t make them less of a fan.

What I’ve never understood is armchair glory hunting fans. People who have chosen a team just because they are doing well in the Premier League, watch them on Sky, but never go to games or have the occasional al day trip.

I can completely understand people growing up supporting a team because that’s who their parents support because that’s where they were from. 

To me there is nothing like becoming a fan of a club through watching live football. Which for most of us is, or has been at some point in our lives before money/kids/location makes it harder, sitting with that community of fans in the freezing cold of winter as the keeper kicks it straight into touch after kick off, waiting for those magical moments/unexpected brilliant games that can come at any time. That shared experience of being in the ground with the fans and the team is what creates a fan, and most of us (even if we can’t get to games any more) can relate to that. Armchair glory hunting fans can’t. 

• Like 1

If football utterly dominates your life, you probably have a problem. I have a season ticket, live about 40 miles from AG and attend most home games. However, I have a wife who doesn't like football and I actually get on with her, so sometimes bow to her other priorities! She loses me for many hours for home games and I don't think I'd get away with doubling that to go to away games.

Also I have other commitments despite being retired. As an amdram type, it's difficult to argue that you can miss a performance after months of rehearsal because you need to be at a match!

20 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

For me, you have to support the local side to where you grow up. Anything else is grounds for 'Not Proper Fan'. So if you're from Bristol and support a United, Liverpool etc, you're not a proper fan. My wife and I may have to leave Bristol in the next few years for work, and if we have a family, the kids will be raised to support their local side. I'll give them a soft spot for City, but they should not be 'their team'.

You must on top of that, show an interest in the team. I listened to City on the radio for 6 months before my Dad finally took me, so I don't think attending a match is even a requirement, as I was a City fan before my first game.

It should be noted though, that some fans are more dedicated. Some sing more, some give up their time to create displays and fundraise, some put in a larger percentage of their disposable income (someone who scrimps and saves to buy our cheapest tickets is probably better than someone who comfortably can afford the Lansdown). 

However as we grow, we change. If you told me five years ago I'd have stopped going to matches, I'd never have believed you. We start families, work changes, life changes and so our commitment changes. However if you're from the West Country and love City, I think you're undoubtedly a fan.

I guess I'm not a 'proper fan' then ?

Interesting thread. No one should ever be accused of not being a “real fan” when they put things that matter more, such as family, ahead of football.

One thing I will say though. Just as an example, I remember a few seasons ago we were 1-0 down to Preston, then conceded a second sometime around 70 minutes. I was in the Dolman and a some people left once the second went in. With 20 minutes left to play!

To my mind, anyone who withdraws their support when the team are struggling and still has a feasible chance of getting something from the game, doesn’t understand what it means to be a supporter, and doesn’t really understand football and it’s capacity to surprise. That sort of behaviour says a lot more about their support than people who can’t be there for every game for an endless number of perfectly good reasons.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

No one can deny that you are a real fan. In fact only you can answer how much of a fan you are. I would just ask one question. What will you remember in 10 years time? Driving 20 miles down the road to see some of City's legends of the past 15 years, Scott, Conway, Semenyo,, in the flesh as well as witnessing Kadji's debut goal, or your family tea ?

I'll remember my kids, I'd hope.

Will never forget those heady days of Gow, Garland, Gibson, Galley and the fantastic team/small squad that got us to the top div, was a right City nut back then following my team all over the place and at every home game, remember the heaving Eastend and some fab days at the footie.

Now I`ve got old and ill and cannot yet justify the cost of going, I admit I`ve not been since The Eastend got chopped but still follow every game, maybe take the grandson in a few years time, gone but forever in my memory thanks for them :city: :clap:

:tv_horror:

On 25/08/2022 at 10:09, GrahamC said:

Great post.

You see those pathetic “name of club”, “wife”, “kids” flags & I just think what sad acts you really are.

I went home & away for years, but if you have anything about you, other things become far more important than an away game up North on a Wednesday, you can check the result & even follow the game, without always being there.

I’m lucky enough both to be able to afford a ST & live in BS3 so I also don’t have the fortnightly fight with Bristol’s shocking transport system.

That doesn’t make me a bigger fan than someone who can only afford to watch 2 games a season or who has watched us for even longer (50 years) than I have but can’t face the park & ride on a night.

Don’t get me started on second teams or the Premier League, though..

@GrahamC what do you mean?

Pathetic flags and names of kids…..

Christ alive. We even took ours on our jollies. See? That’s a definition of a super dooper fan….. ?

E211E193-8A6A-4160-AA21-0F36E4C0C0CF.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

@GrahamC what do you mean?

Pathetic flags and names of kids…..

Christ alive. We even took ours on our jollies. See? That’s a definition of a super dooper fan….. ?

E211E193-8A6A-4160-AA21-0F36E4C0C0CF.jpeg

I mean the flags which say “club, wife, kids, in that order”.

Absolutely nothing like yours.

If you think about City several times a day, if a win makes your weekend and a defeat ruins it then you are a City fan. 

For most of us we got infected at a young age and it`s incurable. You change virtually everything else in your life as it goes on but NEVER your football team. Whether you used to go but don`t now for whatever reason or still turn up regularly if City are your team you are a fan.

Getting a Man Utd/Liverpool/Chelsea shirt for Christmas every year and talking about `your` team as `us` while only watching on Sky doesn`t.

• Like 3

If you love your home town team and look for their results / watch/ listen to games whenever life lets you then in my book you’re a true fan ! It doesn’t matter if you can only get to 1 game a season due to geography or finances , you’re still a true fan . If you’re life circumstances permit you to travel home and away week in week out then that’s great for that individual but that doesn’t make the mum/Dad with 4 kids who can’t afford to go , any less of a fan . That’s my definition anyway . 

• Like 1
  • Robin 2

I have to admit, after traveling from London for every home game one dire run under Johnson around Christmas time in 2016 was too much for me. Still go away and to the occasional home game but don't really miss it. Did spent £150 making a bespoke (and massive) Union Jack with 'Bristol City FC' for my trip to Sri Lanka to watch the cricket a few years back, quite pleased it was apparently on TV. So no, I'm probably not a 'real' fan, just a bit of an odd one.

When I lived in Aylesbury I loved. City as much as I do now but didn’t get to the  Gate more than a few times a season. Did Watford and Luton away a few times though. Also did Cambridge, Southend, Gillingham and a few other aways I might not have done if I’d been in Bristol at the time.

Did you ever get to see the Ducks @SecretSam ? They had a framed programme from a cup game at City on the wall in the Buckingham Road bar.. 

7 hours ago, MrBibs said:

When I lived in Aylesbury I loved. City as much as I do now but didn’t get to the  Gate more than a few times a season. Did Watford and Luton away a few times though. Also did Cambridge, Southend, Gillingham and a few other aways I might not have done if I’d been in Bristol at the time.

Did you ever get to see the Ducks @SecretSam ? They had a framed programme from a cup game at City on the wall in the Buckingham Road bar.. 

I remember it.  We won 1-0 in November 1987 so first or second round. They had been featured on the BBC through their cup run due to their goal celebration where they all got on their knees in a line and waddled across the pitch.

• Like 1

After starting to watch and support City in 1958, my ups and downs of following this club are probably similar to many others. An Eastender in my teens, moving North with old mans job and following Sheff Wed but still keeping an eye on the club ( No internet then) going to Elland Road when Gary Sprake was sent off, moving back to Bristol at 19, taking missus on 1st date to watch a match, sponsoring supporters club with my business in the 70's, Crackers corner v Pompey to get promotion, watching Norman Hunter debut at Baseball Ground, watching fall and rise of my beloved 1982 club ! ST holder all around the ground till this season when for 1st time in a long time did not renew.............No particular reason, 72 this year, getting weary, medical probs for last year with vertigo. Am I still a fan ?  I'm on OTIB on a match day.......the flame is still and will always be there.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 2

On 25/08/2022 at 11:24, Red-Robbo said:

Because I share custody of my kids, I very rarely go to away games. I need at least every other weekend during the season for family time. Nothing about such a choice makes you disloyal. The 100% attender has circumstances that permit that. Most of us have reasons why we can't do that.

Bonus points for you HE if you identify this reference:

image.jpeg.572c6c540911cf43c3f6aaaffcb2f0be.jpeg

Worked out your out your reference so claim my bonus points! The reason I travel ? every other week is for family as I meet my cousins and extended family at the match for a beer ?. The only Mugs are those that don’t keep family contact! I also support my elderly parents who still live near Bristol 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

Worked out your out your reference so claim my bonus points! The reason I travel ? every other week is for family as I meet my cousins and extended family at the match for a beer ?. The only Mugs are those that don’t keep family contact! I also support my elderly parents who still live near Bristol 

Good for you. A match day is all the better if it's more than just the game, it's a day out and catch-up time with friends and family. 

I discovered when I was copying that Peep Show picture that you can now buy those Harpenden Harpenden Harpenden mugs. There's a potential present sorted out for someone! 

Plastic armchair fans don’t really care.  They get annoyed if their team loses cos their plastic armchair mates will take the piss out of them on the shit cringy WhatsApp group.  The type of person that if you tell them who you support they ask who your premier league team is. To which I ask them who their league two team is as apparently we need to support a team in each division.  

If you can name about 15 players, watch the highlights and care if we win or lose then you are a proper fan.  Attending games isn’t a prerequisite as some people either cannot attend or choose to do something else.  If someone chooses to, for example, watch their child partake in their hobby on a Saturday afternoon instead of watching city then that makes a proper parent and a proper fan 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 2

You are a City fan.

Its in your heart for good or for bad.

it’s not about how many games you go to, if you have the kit or if you go home and away.

Its inside you and will never leave you despite the times you think why do I bother.

Its the excitement weather you are there, watching on the TV or listening to the radio.

Or going for that walk for the last 5 mins when you just can’t watch or listen because it just might change the result.

Its how it will lift up or down your weekend depending on the result.

Its the highs, the lows the middle table safety. The new away kit, the new signing and it’s about the OTIB community.

its much, much  more than just watching the games - Its your club and you love it.

So don’t feel guilty.

COYR

• Flames 1

17 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

I have to admit, after traveling from London for every home game one dire run under Johnson around Christmas time in 2016 was too much for me. Still go away and to the occasional home game but don't really miss it. Did spent £150 making a bespoke (and massive) Union Jack with 'Bristol City FC' for my trip to Sri Lanka to watch the cricket a few years back, quite pleased it was apparently on TV. So no, I'm probably not a 'real' fan, just a bit of an odd one.

LJ's tenure will have worn down the enthusiasm of many fans. So sad after so many had their enthusiasm rekindled under Cotts.

It wasn't bad all the time under LJ but all too often it was horrendous, particularly at home games, and there were very extended periods where the tedious football, lack of shots/goals and excitement, plus poor results at AG, left me slumped silently in my seat questioning if I really wanted to be there anymore. 

The first time ever I've felt like that, and I've witnessed it all since 1970.

I am though re-enthused by Pearson, the quality and character of the players, both young and more experienced, the fact that City go out to score goals (and very often succeed) and that there is excitement back in our play, and in the stands.

I hope you, and others whose fervour was crushed by LJ, will be back at AG regularly sometime. Not out of loyalty or a sense of duty, but because you genuinely feel this team and manager are worth supporting, and that there's a very high likelihood you'll enjoy the experience.

• Like 2

On 26/08/2022 at 12:26, ChippenhamRed said:

Interesting thread. No one should ever be accused of not being a “real fan” when they put things that matter more, such as family, ahead of football.

One thing I will say though. Just as an example, I remember a few seasons ago we were 1-0 down to Preston, then conceded a second sometime around 70 minutes. I was in the Dolman and a some people left once the second went in. With 20 minutes left to play!

To my mind, anyone who withdraws their support when the team are struggling and still has a feasible chance of getting something from the game, doesn’t understand what it means to be a supporter, and doesn’t really understand football and it’s capacity to surprise. That sort of behaviour says a lot more about their support than people who can’t be there for every game for an endless number of perfectly good reasons.

Thing is, City winning makes them feel good, and they get a buzz from that, and they love feeling that buzz, we all do; whereas City not winning makes them feel bad and they get the opposite of a "buzz" and they can't "take" feeling like that so they're not going to sit and stew in that negative emotional state.

People vary in how they respond to winning and losing. Some can "take" City doing poorly and rationalise it, put it in some perspective ("the Championship is an unequal division, City don't have Parachute Payments, wages determine outcomes" etc) while some others can only cope by getting away from it, and sometimes by lashing out (booing, fighting with or getting at 'happy clappers,' slaughtering the team or manager on social media etc).

For some people, City are there for them, to make them feel good, not the other way round. They're not there to "support" eleven men payed thousands a week, they are there for the well paid young men to give them their weekend 'buzz.' They have though at least "supported" by paying to attend.

While many others go and will stay with the team even when they struggle. They can handle disappointment better. But the money's the same whichever group you are in. And the club needs that money.

I buy a membership to make me go to as many games possible with the savings you get from it, often go on my own as my brother can't afford to but don't class myself as a bigger or better fan than him I just choose to spend my spare cash on watching City cause it's what gives me more enjoyment than other things we both enjoy.

It’s all about OTIB, unless you can spend at least 8 hours of your day use up all of your emojis, remember what casual posters say on every thread… have been banned at least once or had to take an enforced break and come back with a different user name…you don’t deserve to be classed as a real fan.

Who needs to justify if they are a real fan or not? Seriously none of us getting out of here alive does it really matter who is a real fan or not whatever that means.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

It’s all about OTIB, unless you can spend at least 8 hours of your day use up all of your emojis, remember what casual posters say on every thread… have been banned at least once or had to take an enforced break and come back with a different user name…you don’t deserve to be classed as a real fan.

Who needs to justify if they are a real fan or not? Seriously none of us getting out of here alive does it really matter who is a real fan or not whatever that means.

For real