IGNORED

Klose

GrahamC

Didn’t even make the bench yesterday which with nothing said about an injury, I have to presume that was a tactical decision.

This meant the bench had 2 right backs on it in Wilson & Tanner but no obvious left back or centre back cover. With Madine very much the focal point of their game I do wonder therefore what we’d have done if say Atkinson had picked up an early injury.

I know Tanner filled in at RCB at Wycombe but that really isn’t his natural position.

Interested to know what people think is going on here, Klose played the 90 at Wycombe, was he really that poor?

He has quickly gone from an automatic choice on arrival to very much a bit part player this season, despite Kalas’ long term absence.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Didn’t even make the bench yesterday which with nothing said about an injury, I have to presume that was a tactical decision.

This meant the bench had 2 right backs on it in Wilson & Tanner but no obvious left back or centre back cover. With Madine very much the focal point of their game I do wonder therefore what we’d have done if say Atkinson had picked up an early injury.

I know Tanner filled in at RCB at Wycombe but that really isn’t his natural position.

Interested to know what people think is going on here, Klose played the 90 at Wycombe, was he really that poor?

He has quickly gone from an automatic choice on arrival to very much a bit part player this season, despite Kalas’ long term absence.

My theory is two/three fold:

- If we want him on, it’s more likely to be as the “centre CB” of the three due to pace reasons. If we put him left/right side can be exposed for pace and moving Kal does likewise. KN is undoubted first choice, so theoretically he’s a sub for one person

- At the start of the season there was a rash of goals conceded shortly after TK came on (not solely his fault), but considering he also started pre season not in the first XI, may be that his form isn’t hitting the mark

- On a wider basis, I believe this is his first child and wife home in Switzerland. Maybe he’s reassessed post signing the deal in the summer (wasn’t an immediate renewal) and he wants to be closer to home. He’s made his money, and being a bit part player in another country while missing out on kids early years isn’t that desirable. I have an inkling that Bamba is Klose’s replacement as soon as TK gets fixed up on a different club, but we won’t sign SB unless/until that happens

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

- If we want him on, it’s more likely to be as the “centre CB” of the three due to pace reasons. If we put him left/right side can be exposed for pace and moving Kal does likewise. KN is undoubted first choice, so theoretically he’s a sub for one person

- At the start of the season there was a rash of goals conceded shortly after TK came on (not solely his fault), but considering he also started pre season not in the first XI, may be that his form isn’t hitting the mark

- On a wider basis, I believe this is his first child and wife home in Switzerland. Maybe he’s reassessed post signing the deal in the summer (wasn’t an immediate renewal) and he wants to be closer to home. He’s made his money, and being a bit part player in another country while missing out on kids early years isn’t that desirable. I have an inkling that Bamba is Klose’s replacement as soon as TK gets fixed up on a different club, but we won’t sign SB unless/until that happens

Re point 3, I wonder if Klose would just cancel his contract, no payout, no nothing (with City’s agreement obviously).  Perhaps as you say the impact of a newborn and travel / family support is playing a part?

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

-

Exactly what I was thinking.

Don’t think it is “the moon landing was faked” territory to suppose we might cancel his deal by Thursday to enable him to join a Swiss club at some point & Bamba signs as his replacement until the end of the season.

It definitely is his first child & it isn’t a stretch to suppose that his wife & baby have remained in Switzerland.

He talked very openly about deciding whether he wanted to play on for what he implied might be his last year & obviously as any of us who have been parents know, your life completely changes.

• Like 5

Just now, pl00peh91 said:

He must have known he was having his first child when he signed the deal though, so are we saying that he thought it would be doable when he signed on for another year but the reality of his new fatherhood had forced him to reassess his position? 

Yeah exactly. As @Davefevs and @GrahamC have both said, newborns (particularly first children) are huge commitments, both emotional and practical which often aren’t realised til they’re here (mine weren’t!). TK is in an envious position that he can make the best decision for his family without needing to work, so I don’t think him leaving is a beyond the pale suggestion.

Some things are more important than football.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Also it feels like he’s aged five years in three months having watched him play this season 

Its plausible his minds been elsewhere to be fair. His biggest strength has been his football intelligence since he's been with us.

Add to that he's never played wide defender in a three, etc.

• Like 1

It seems that Nige realises that he could be under strain.  Said in a press conference somewhere he’d given Timm the midweek off to go home, but Timm being the pro he is declined the offer because Rob Atkinson was a doubt and he needed to be here to prepare for the game.

It does sound like the situation has changed.  He’s not a 25 year old with transfer value, and I know this is all speculative, but if it was the case, cancelling his contract would be the right thing for both parties.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It seems that Nige realises that he could be under strain.  Said in a press conference somewhere he’d given Timm the midweek off to go home, but Timm being the pro he is declined the offer because Rob Atkinson was a doubt and he needed to be here to prepare for the game.

It does sound like the situation has changed.  He’s not a 25 year old with transfer value, and I know this is all speculative, but if it was the case, cancelling his contract would be the right thing for both parties.

It’s a possibility of course but Nige isn’t exactly blessed in the CB department with Kalas remaining injured and losing Klose with all his experience and nouse and doubt that’s something Nige would want.

However we know that Bamba has been training with City so if Klose did leave AG then possibly Bamba gets a deal for the rest of the season?

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s a possibility of course but Nige isn’t exactly blessed in the CB department with Kalas remaining injured and losing Klose with all his experience and nouse and doubt that’s something Nige would want.

However we know that Bamba has been training with City so if Klose did leave AG then possibly Bamba gets a deal for the rest of the season?

Yep, makes you wonder whether Bamba was brought in to get him up to speed ahead of Timm leaving.

As above, pure speculation on mine and others part - and we are trying to add logic to that speculation.

27 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I am sure it is on here somewhere but does any know when or if Kalas is likely to be due back any time soon. That must have been one serious injury he had.

Doesn't seem likely. The last thing Nigel said was that Kalas would have to see if he could play through pain.

He's been doing that for a while anyway and the operation doesn't seem to have worked

Just now, chinapig said:

Doesn't seem likely. The last thing Nigel said was that Kalas would have to see if he could play through pain.

He's been doing that for a while anyway and the operation doesn't seem to have worked

Think the op (groin / hip) was okay, it’s now knee isn’t it?

He did say in the summer that he considered retirement.

My gut feeling is that this will be his last season as a player anyway. So we will need to consider a long-term solution, regardless. 

He deserves a lot of credit for the impact he made last season, and the role he has played since joining us. 

He was initially a short-term solution, that worked out very well for us. Whether it's now or at the end of the season, he has done the job he was asked to do for us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

He must have known he was having his first child when he signed the deal though, so are we saying that he thought it would be doable when he signed on for another year but the reality of his new fatherhood had forced him to reassess his position? 

I can’t speak from first hand experience, but I’ve known several people who’ve been adamant that having a child won’t alter their way of life……up until about a week after the baby is born. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, makes you wonder whether Bamba was brought in to get him up to speed ahead of Timm leaving.

As above, pure speculation on mine and others part - and we are trying to add logic to that speculation.

Yes maybe but as Nige said looking for one more at the back previously, I think if Bamba swapped for Klose we would still look to bring someone else in

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

You may be right Dave though I thought Nigel had said it wasn't a new injury.

Yep, general wear and tear on his whole body by the seems of it…but the hip / groin required at op.  Maybe the knee does too?

19 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Yes maybe but as Nige said looking for one more at the back previously, I think if Bamba swapped for Klose we would still look to bring someone else in

Agree.

Bit mystery Klose missing…I never heard any reference on radio Brizzle re him missing from match day squad.
Few on here  guessing domestic issues with new family arrival,  surprised not picked up on  radio Bristol by the excellent sports team unless. I missed it.. 

Hopefully all will be explained. He was quality end last season and with no sign Kalas back imminently expect some free transfer moves or loan before window shuts?

Edited by DT The Optimist