IGNORED

Han-Noah Massengo

Tim Monaghan

I think people (me included) get excited because when he is on song he is normally one of the best players on the pitch.

Consistency will hopefully come with age where as his natural ability is a lot harder to teach a player.

I didn't see the blackpool game but what annoys me is when he has an off game he gets hooked straight away but when William's was having a bit of a mare 1st half against Luton he was given the opportunity to make up for it 2nd half (which he did) 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

"Woke gone mad" is it really? Don't be silly. 

I would suggest to @Ghost Rider that he wants a stimulating debate rather a slanging match, then perhaps avoid using emotive terms like "most overrated player in Bristol City history", the use of absolutes like "never" or "always" and resorting to comments on a players looks rather than his ability.

Thank you for your suggestion @Port Said Red. I'll try and change my writing style in the future to try and create a more stimulating debate, although I think I'll stick to reading in the future though as the welcome I've had so far from fellow fans has been a bit unnecessarily aggressive.

Edited by Ghost Rider

1 hour ago, Shuffle said:

If HNM was playing for someone like PNE & replicated his performances that he’s put in for us & we were about to announce him as our new signing ,then people would be absolutely buzzing.  

It’s exactly this.

For all the “Paul Smith” comment (nice shirts, by the way), also the fact that there was so much hype around an 18 year old who had already played in the Champions League & allegedly cost us £7.2m (most now believe at it was actually just over a third of that), really hasn’t done him any favours.

If he was called Walsh & we had signed him from Everton (BTW how did that one turn out?) then this publicity wouldn’t be there.

He has turned in some standout performances, Preston away saw opposition fans say he was the best midfielder they saw all season & he was really excellent against both Cardiff & Luton recently, but probably not quite often enough.

He’s still only just 21, so I doubt he’s reached his best, that might be elsewhere though.

As for the FBC comment, that is just silly, any time spent on here will see Vyner, Martin & on occasions Bentley scapegoated, this happens on every platform with a voice.

Plus anyone comparing him with Kilkenny, dear oh dear.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 5
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Ghost Rider said:

Thank you for your suggestion @Port Said Red. I'll try and change my writing style in the future to try and create a more stimulating debate, although I think I'll stick to reading in the future though as the welcome I've had so far from fellow fans has been a bit unnecessarily aggressive.

Too answer your question, no he is not one of the most over-rated players we’ve had (for that I give you Marlon Pack) on his day he reminds me of the one and only Gerry Gow, there is no greater compliment than that

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

That is a good point, he has been here a long time, and was very young when he joined us. The arguing point is, when you compare him the the likes of AS, AS and TC who are also of a similar age, they're all producing the goods. 

Put them into a foreign league ( not to mention the most competitive & combative in the world ) & see how they get on. He also plays in the most difficult position on the pitch imo. Which is why Alex Scott is such an exception. He in my opinion, has the highest ceiling of potential ( along with Scott ) in the squad. He now has to bring consistency into his game, no great surprise after just turning 21. There is also sometimes off the pitch things that can affect on pitch matters. He is a footballer in the purest term, was it a coincidence that one of his best performances of late was with a midfield combination of Han & Scott? Two players that move, offer angles, exceptional touch, work hard, tenacity, & have trust in their own ability to receive the ball in tight situations? Not to mention having mobile movement in front of them. After all, you can only pass if someone shows & wants it. As for comparing him to Kilkenny, I would imagine said more so for affect, at least I hope so! The only comparison is that they play in Midfield & come from a different country. Love watching Han & would be in my starting eleven. Hopefully signs a contract, but will Watch with interest if he moves on. COYR 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, harrys said:

Too answer your question, no he is not one of the most over-rated players we’ve had (for that I give you Marlon Pack) on his day he reminds me of the one and only Gerry Gow, there is no greater compliment than that

I'm not having that, Marlon Pack was a very decent player for us and does not deserve your accolade.

• Like 10

That's fair enough. I've not been on the forum for long. Feel free to shut the thread down mods, I don't want to upset people. 

Any forum member, new to OTIB or an old stager, is entitled to start a new thread about whatever they like whenever they feel like it.

Though a subject may be repeated there will be new readers and new contributors to the debate and if the mods feel it is too repetitive they will no doubt merge it with a previous thread.

The more posters who try to stimulate debate the better and those who feel they've seen it all before and have nothing to add can simply ignore it.

No need to apologise and don't be put off starting new threads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I didn't realise you could do that. So please accept my apologies. 

I'm a bit confused as to why you're being so rude though. Are you okay? 

If you regard that as rude........then it is obvious you have not been on here for very long?.......Ha!...?

I'll ignore the side arguments and get back to the original post.

IMO, as a very talented teenager he showed glimpses of what could be to come. Unfortunately he was playing in a poor side, with an invisible midfield. He looked a little light weight and got very little support from an unbalanced hit or miss team.
He spent time strengthening up , working hard but sadly the team hadn't improved. He started running around trying to be Gerry Gow, he couldn't. Got a few bookings if memory serves, gave away a Lott of free kicks and the same old criticism came out. "Runs around a lot"
The last few games ( I can't comment on Blackpool ) he has been just as busy, but now with support and movement he looks an all round better player. His energy, along with Weimann (also runs around a lot) , Scott , Wells and Conway has helped our press to work. 
Those early games he did look like a headless chicken at times, he was trying to carry a static or non existent midfield. 
I think he will get better, I just hope he signs a new contract soon.

• Like 1

He's definitely a frustrating player. Has the potential to be very good. When focussed playing balls forward, breaking lines he's great.

He's missing consistency. 

Against Blackpool he reverted to be reactive rather than Pro active. Hence why he's always chasing. A yard off, not reading quick enough...has a habit of ball watching, rather than reading where the player he's watching is moving to. 

The first goal for Blackpool on Saturday is a perfect example of when HNM is off his game. 

Watch the goal and the repeat of it.

Reacts to the player, follows him, ends up ball watching instead of the movement of the player he's tracked...and reacts too late. It's a good example of his bad habit.

Overrated? ??

He is not overrated. He is a young player who has his ups and downs like every young player.

We play him in a 2 where we have seen experienced players like James, Williams and King struggle. However he offers mobility and work rate better than all 3. 

Alex Scott is a freak so forget him. He has been a big part of the squad under 3 managers since he joined at 18(just turned 18 btw). 

We have never given him consistency as a starting player. For example, he has not met his high standards the last couple. So what will we do? We’ll probably send him to the bench instead of living with a few bumps and bruises of getting him to the next level. 

Semenyo was with the u23 and bath around the same age. Tommy Conway is only a year younger and just become a regular. I am glad Conway was brought up though. Everything you love Conway for, is what Massengo does. The constant drive, effort and energy with a surprising amount of grit and toughness despite being on the smaller side. Conway is asked to score goals and Massengo is asked to constantly harrass and disturb opposition on the ball.

Joe Williams isn’t a prolific goal scorer or playmaker. Why aren’t we beating him with that? Is it because he just sits in the middle of the pitch to do what he does well? 

All in all it is opinions but this one comes up from time to time and I will never get it. His 4 years here have been turbulent with 3 managers, different roles, a pandemic and a team that has basically been on a downward spiral since he joined which had nothing to do with him. Probably the only player I have seen give multiple 9 or 10/10 performances in that position under NP. Yes he’ll give you a 5/10 too but you give that 5/10 with those good performances in mind. Yet we will praise a 7-8/10 from James or Williams because they rarely offer much in a given game. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Littlesh*t said:

I think people (me included) get excited because when he is on song he is normally one of the best players on the pitch.

Consistency will hopefully come with age where as his natural ability is a lot harder to teach a player.

I didn't see the blackpool game but what annoys me is when he has an off game he gets hooked straight away but when William's was having a bit of a mare 1st half against Luton he was given the opportunity to make up for it 2nd half (which he did) 

WIlliams didn't play vs Luton but hey ho

56 minutes ago, spudski said:

He's definitely a frustrating player. Has the potential to be very good. When focussed playing balls forward, breaking lines he's great.

He's missing consistency. 

Against Blackpool he reverted to be reactive rather than Pro active. Hence why he's always chasing. A yard off, not reading quick enough...has a habit of ball watching, rather than reading where the player he's watching is moving to. 

The first goal for Blackpool on Saturday is a perfect example of when HNM is off his game. 

Watch the goal and the repeat of it.

Reacts to the player, follows him, ends up ball watching instead of the movement of the player he's tracked...and reacts too late. It's a good example of his bad habit.

HNM is only 21 - he’s not reached his full potential yet. Young and relatively inexperienced guys form often fluctuates and Nige is very aware of that. No doubt the coaches will be working with Massengo to improve his consistency and it will come. Whether he’s still at City when he matures as a player seems very unlikely.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

What a bizarre thing to say. He’s nothing like Kilkenny. Kilkenny didn’t close players down or drive forward with the ball. He passed it backwards and pointed 

I remember Kilkenny getting subbed once, he was furious and continued pointing and gesticulating as he walked off the pitch, he went directly down the tunnel and was still pointing as he did so. Most bizarre 

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

HNM is only 21 - he’s not reached his full potential yet. Young and relatively inexperienced guys form often fluctuates and Nige is very aware of that. No doubt the coaches will be working with Massengo to improve his consistency and it will come. Whether he’s still at City when he matures as a player seems very unlikely.

That's a given...we all know that RR.

However...it's a side of his game that really hasn't improved since we've had him. Other parts have, but imo, this is definitely his Achilles heal.

Playing devils advocate...it's a good job he has all that energy and fitness, because without it, he'd be in trouble.

There is a reason he is constantly chasing players...because he reacts, rather than reads situations. He has to constantly correct his positioning or awareness. He ball watches often.

He stands out on the pitch with his continual movement...because he has to.

Compare that to a player who will go unnoticed, going quietly about his business so to speak. It looks that way because they read the game, position properly and don't need to chase. 

I'm not sure whether this part of his game will ever improve. Time will tell.

However...he has a place in this team, if we are looking to be more possession based and high pressing with energy.

3 hours ago, Shuffle said:

I personally like HNM and feel that he is mobile, technically very good and has the ability to go go far in the game. However, the number 1 issue that will always cause this debate is lack of consistency. His performances against Luton and Cardiff were very good & then he follows that with anonymous displays against Wycombe and Blackpool. Whilst young in age, he has enough match experience  for us to expect a higher level of consistency.

Would personally always have him in my starting 11 but can understand the frustration. 

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a young player to consistently perform.