IGNORED

Huddersfield Town at home match thread

Under the lights at Ashton Gate on Wednesday, August 31st at 7:45 pm as we face Huddersfield Town and look to extend our unbeaten run.

NP presser:

TC pre-match interview:

Back in May a Colwill own goal in the 43 minute extinguished their hope of winning promotion via the play-off final:

On 7 July their then manager Carlos Corberan resigned: https://www.htafc.com/news/2022/july/club-statement-carlos-corberan-resigns/

New boss, Danny Schofield, has lost key players like Lewis O'Brien and Harry Toffolo, although he is still able to call upon a number of the side that helped the Terriers reach Wembley - including Jonathan Hogg, Danny Ward and Duane Holmes.

As a player Schofield was signed by Huddersfield Town from Brodsworth Welfare in 1988 for a fee of £2,000 and allegedly some training equipment!

Centre-back Matty Pearson is missing after the 28-year-old suffered a serious foot injury in a pre-season game with Bolton, he is set to miss "a significant period". Jonathan Hogg and Pat Jones both face pre-match fitness assessments and Tom Lees will be available after serving a one-match ban, he has recently signed a new contract until 2025.

Brief history:

In common with our last opponents they have also won the playoffs in all three divisions. They were the first English club to win three successive English league titles in 1925–26. The first two league titles were won under manager and pioneer Herbert Chapman, who also led the team to an FA Cup win in 1922. They have been runners-up in the First Division thrice, and FA Cup runners-up four times. They were the second team, after Blackpool, to have won all three divisional play-offs.

Huddersfield Town FC were the first English team to win three league titles in a row, winning the third of their titles 1926.

The nickname 'The Terriers' was introduced in the 1969/70 season by promotions manager Bill Brooke, acknowledging the terrier-like qualities of fitness and tenacity of Ian Greaves' young side. The first Yorkshire Terrier to be registered with the Kennel Club in the 1880's was named 'Huddersfield Ben'.

Incomings:

Will Boyle (free, Cheltenham Town)
David Kasumu (undisclosed, MK Dons)
Connor Mahoney (free, unattached)
Kyle Hudlin (undisclosed, Solihull Moors)
Jack Rudoni (undisclosed, AFC Wimbledon)
Yuta Nakayama (free, PEC Zwolle)
Tino Anjorin (loan, Chelsea)
Kaine Kesler-Hayden (season long loan, Aston Villa) the 19-year-old England under-20 international had loan spells with Swindon and MK Dons last season.

Last season they did the double over us

Our last win against them:

Our head-to-head record is drawn 11, won 24 and lost 28.

On Saturday they were at home to WBA a game that finished 2-2 after they were 2-0 ahead:

They have played five games and recorded a win, a draw and three defeats to date and currently are in 23rd place in the table. They have conceded in every game this season. Their form (all competitions): LLLWLD.

Famous fans include

Jodie Whittaker who was born locally. An English actress that’s best possibly known for playing Beth Latimer in Broadchurch and the Thirteenth Doctor in popular BBC programme, Doctor Who.

Ryan Sidebottom the former England cricketer is another Huddersfield supporter. Sidebottom played 22 tests for England during his career, taking 79 wickets, as well as 29 in 25 One Day Internationals. His Dad, Arnie Sidebottom, played for Huddersfield in the 1970’s.

Chris Fountain the actor is often seen on social media talking about Huddersfield Town and their fortunes.

Another locally born Huddersfield supporter is English writer, David Peace. Ironically, one of Peace’s most well-known publications is The Damned United, focusing on Brian Clough’s 44-day spell in-charge of Leeds United.

Finally, Sir Patrick Stewart. During Huddersfield’s most recent spell in the Premier League, Stewart was the face that television cameras were drawn to whenever he was in attendance supporting the Terriers.

Officials:

Referee: Darren Bond. After taking up the whistle at 15, he progressed to the Select Group 2 referees list in 2016, having over 20 years of refereeing experience, which includes a year as an assistant referee in the Premier League. He made his EFL Championship debut in February 2013, taking charge of the Millwall v Peterborough United game.

Linos: Robert Hyde and Lee Venamore.
Fourth Official: Stephen Martin

Joe Williams is likely to be rested and Mark Sykes is available following his red card.

Huddersfield stuff

• The town was once dubbed Hoodezfield.
  • Huddersfield became known as "the town that bought itself" 100 years ago. From 1868 until 1974 the area now known as Huddersfield was run by the Huddersfield Corporation, one of six county boroughs not ruled by the West Riding County Council. In October 1919, it agreed to buy the 4300-plus acres on which the town was built from the Ramsden estate who had owned it for centuries. The purchase - which was nearly half the land within the Borough boundary and the whole of the town centre - cost £1.3 million. The deal was struck via locally-born entrepreneur Sam Copley and finalised a year later, on 29 September 1920.
  • Staff at Huddersfield company KD Decoratives, famed for making Christmas decorations, were once commissioned to make Britain’s largest nodding dog which stood 11 feet tall.
  • While Aston Martin was not founded in Huddersfield, its success as a luxury sports car manufacturer can be traced back to Huddersfield's own David Brown. Brown, who had successful tractor business, bought Aston Martin in 1947 and was key in designing the first in the line of iconic luxury DB models. The range still bears his initials to this day.
  • Punk band the Sex Pistols played their last two British shows at Ivanhoe’s nightclub in Huddersfield, on Christmas Day 1977. This included a matinee for the children of striking firefighters. They then embarked on the fateful tour of the US that led to the bands break-up.
  • Former Prime Minister Lord Harold Wilson was born and raised in Huddersfield and there’s a statue of him outside the train station.
  • Rugby League was invented in Huddersfield in 1895 following a dispute over payments to players. The sport is still prominent in the town thanks to Huddersfield Giants who play their trade in the Super League.

E7632769-3E26-43E5-8369-3B34ACC20304.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Excellent stuff Jerseybean, as always.

A couple of other bits of trivia from someone born up there:

- Town's first Yorkshire Terrier mascot was called Skippy.

- Before they adopted the Giant name and moved ground the rugby league team played at Fartown, a district of Huddersfield. The team were known as the Fartowners and were regularly described as that in the Huddersfield Examiner. Of course, everybody I knew pronounced it Fart-owners. Hilarious stuff to young lads in Huddersfield. (We were simple people).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
54 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Excellent stuff Jerseybean, as always.

A couple of other bits of trivia from someone born up there:

- Town's first Yorkshire Terrier mascot was called Skippy.

- Before they adopted the Giant name and moved ground the rugby league team played at Fartown, a district of Huddersfield. The team were known as the Fartowners and were regularly described as that in the Huddersfield Examiner. Of course, everybody I knew pronounced it Fart-owners. Hilarious stuff to young lads in Huddersfield. (We were simple people).

Plus Michael Hardcastle - author of the teen football books, Free-Kick, On The Run, etc (the Mark Fox series) was a Huddersfield fan too.  Used to love his books as a kid.  He visited our school.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Southbristolred1 said:

My team for tomorrow:

Bentley,Vyner,Naismith, Atkinson, Sykes, Dasilva, Scott, James, Weimann Conway, Semenyo.

I expect Wells will start instead of Semenyo, although I'd rather it was Semenyo if he is still here!

I'd also rather see Massengo in place of James, and Pring in place of Dasilva, but NP will pick James for sure and Pring seems to be on his naughty step too. So you are pretty much spot on I imagine.

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Plus Michael Hardcastle - author of the teen football books, Free-Kick, On The Run, etc (the Mark Fox series) was a Huddersfield fan too.  Used to love his books as a kid.  He visited our school.

Also: Reece Dinsdale, undercover copper-turned Shadwell football hooligan John from ID, is an Huddersfield fan. Not to be messed with, especially in Tyneburn Market . . . 

• Flames 1

Pring is a better LB than DaSilva and every time the ball goes anywhere near Zak Vyner it gives me the collywobbles.

It would be nice to have Semenyeo for 90 minutes, but I guess he's not quite ready for that yet, however a very dangerous forward for us to have on the bench.

I think Massengo is probably worth his place for the sheer effort he is putting in at the moment even if he is just trying to put himself in the shop window.

Tommy Conway has surprised me this season and looks an interesting prospect, but Nahki Wells still isn't giving 100% in my opinion.

I was wondering whether we could switch Andi Weimann and Alex Scott at various stages of the game to confuse the opposition and also switch the two forwards from left to right occasionally to see which is working best to add to the confusion.

Plenty of options on the bench now for when fresh legs are needed or to tweak the formation later in the game.

Prediction: Robins 2 Terriers 0

• Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Hmmm 1
1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Pring is a better LB than DaSilva and every time the ball goes anywhere near Zak Vyner it gives me the collywobbles.

It would be nice to have Semenyeo for 90 minutes, but I guess he's not quite ready for that yet, however a very dangerous forward for us to have on the bench.

I think Massengo is probably worth his place for the sheer effort he is putting in at the moment even if he is just trying to put himself in the shop window.

Tommy Conway has surprised me this season and looks an interesting prospect, but Nahki Wells still isn't giving 100% in my opinion.

I was wondering whether we could switch Andi Weimann and Alex Scott at various stages of the game to confuse the opposition and also switch the two forwards from left to right occasionally to see which is working best to add to the confusion.

Plenty of options on the bench now for when fresh legs are needed or to tweak the formation later in the game.

Prediction: Robins 2 Terriers 0

Can I ask re the Wells comment, what gives you that impression? 

Edited by Engvall’s Splinter
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I see him jogging when he should be running. He closes down half heartedly, does not track back when he should and disappears for large parts of the game.  Just how I see it, but others might see things differently.

Main thing is that Pearson sees it very differently.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

After tonight’s results, it’s starting to look like the parachute payments are already skewing the table yet again…

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/championship/table

That said win tomorrow night and we could be up to 6th.

A win tomorrow puts us in the early pace setting pack which not many anticipated. It’d also mean that 5 points from the following 3 would put us on 16 from the first ten games, which is definite playoff form - particularly in an open division.

Next 48 hours if we can get three points and keep the squad together then things will get very optimistic around here. Adding another defender or seeing the lesser spotted Kalas may send it into overdrive.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

After an unlikely and lucky last gasp draw for Blackpool, we will return to our dominant football and we will succeed with 3 relatively easy points . The top 6 position is destined  for us like an escalator going through an open door.

Bit early to have started drinking but fair play 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

After tonight’s results, it’s starting to look like the parachute payments are already skewing the table yet again…

Basically Boro (who have started poorly) & West Brom (who have Steve Bruce) short of the set for the 6 sides who have a massive advantage in being top six.

Anyone else who breaks into this cartel will have done very well & need a good run with injuries, too.

30 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I still remember Nick Abel-Smith, a rogue striker, who they signed from a rival team using their pocket money!

Fox’s mate was called Albie wasn’t he, good name for a footballer.  Tommy Archbold the scouser teammate when he played for England schools.  Funny how stuff from 40+ years ago comes flooding back.

Rarely had his books in the mobile library which stopped opposite my house as a kid, but when they did, I’d sit there and read in a couple of sittings.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Yep. Worth adding when looking at what would appear a stuttering start from Huddersfield. in their 5 games they have been edged out by a goal by both Norwich and Burnley, and drawn with WBA. On paper a tougher start than us.

No easy games etc etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

There is a reason why he did not start many games last season and I think he will be the one to make way for Semenyo when he's fully fit.

There is a reason why he's started so many games this season aswell, not because Semenyo has been injured either, because he's playing well.

• Like 5