IGNORED

Blackburn Rovers away match thread

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

Maybe it’s just the way he’s being asked to play or how he wants to play but everyone around him is picking up yellows but not him. To me that just suggests he’s leaving the defending and tackling to others, who are then picking up cards while he does his own thing.

So your measure of how a player plays is by the yellow cards they pick up? I’ve heard it all now ha ha ha. He’s actually a very clean tackler generally. Adam Webster didn’t pick up many bookings. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

His movement is very good as well . He makes unselfish runs dragging players out of position. It’s a very strange thing to say but, that’s  something semenyo needs to learn to be better at. With Antoine it’s more off the cuff with power & pace. It’s a very good combination between the four of them in any combination . With also Martin to come off the bench late on as we seen Wednesday to hold the ball up . Tommy’s a very intelligent player imo 

Not a strange thing to say , I totally agree with you

Different players have different attributes , but from what  I’ve seen TC incl U23s I’d say his football intelligence is heading Scott’s way , in their different roles 

In some respects Antoine has some superb attributes but still has some rawness , which is exciting as he still has more to come !

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Is your birthday an annual event for a special celebration with your wife?

I have a weekly birthday and another every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and then when it's not a leap year I also have birthdays on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Now it's customary for opposition fans to declare their team was poor rather than giving credit to Bristol City. Looking at today's Blackburn forum, thry're all bemoaning their poor team and tactics etc.

However; from BBC Lancs;

"I think we should be disappointed with the result and performance. We know we played against a very good side. Bit frustrated conceding two goals on counter-attacks" - head coach Jon Dahl Tomasson

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

The thing I take from this is that Naismith isn’t doing the hard yards as a central defender. Both Atkinson and Vyner are on two yellows, while Williams, Scott and James have picked up a few yellows but Naismith hasn’t had one yet. Coasting?!

I for one am relieved that the fact we're winning games isn't deterring our fans from sharing utterly absurd takes on this forum. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Maybe it’s just the way he’s being asked to play or how he wants to play but everyone around him is picking up yellows but not him. To me that just suggests he’s leaving the defending and tackling to others, who are then picking up cards while he does his own thing.

FWIW here’s all three CBs data in league games this season prior to today.

Naismith

image.thumb.jpeg.46a1a80ec998f41f09664cb68cef3723.jpeg

Atkinson

image.thumb.jpeg.7c4367f295087fd84918702325f84b13.jpeg

Vyner:

image.thumb.jpeg.27dfc772699a759abbfc3d9f14b67a80.jpeg

6 hours ago, firstdivision said:

We played so well today. For 70 minutes. We made Blackburn look ordinary for large parts of the game. Shame we let them score twice. The big test is coming: Norwich and Burnley away in the same week. Ludicrous schedule. Burnley have a neat little trip to Preston on the Tuesday; we play at Norwich on the Wednesday. Then we play at Burnley on Saturday. Nonsense schedule. How is that any way fair? Burnley are even home to Norwich on the previous Friday night. Nice spacing out for the relegated PL teams, computer.

Won't make any difference, I'm definitely getting vibes of our promotion season in 2015 when finally, everything clicked don't know about you and I'm really not one to get carried away (my nickname is doom and gloom) but finally the pieces of the puzzle have come together, and the picture looks pretty damn good.  

3 hours ago, real_bristol said:

I watched the whole game on telly. Have to say that must be the best first half of football I’ve seen us play for a long long time. We were relentless in the second quarter and TCs goal was coming. Our performance as a whole was good too, although I was hoping we’d kill the game off at 3-1. Really excited now for this season if we can maintain our form going forward. Can’t believe I was on here a couple of weeks ago saying that sacking Nige was a bad idea. 

Up the ******* City!

Was a bad idea?? surely if you thought it was a bad idea to sack him you were in support of him, you have somewhat contradicted yourself.

Edited by pillred
Opinion
  • Admin
33 minutes ago, pillred said:

Won't make any difference, I'm definitely getting vibes of our promotion season in 2015 when finally, everything clicked don't know about you and I'm really not one to get carried away (my nickname is doom and gloom) but finally the pieces of the puzzle have come together, and the picture looks pretty damn good.  

I've been saying that for weeks. Even play-style similarities with wing-backs almost playing like wingers and centre-backs playing like wing-backs :D 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Ian M said:

If I am reading these charts right, it seems Vyner is quite the under-rated passer? Amongst the best in the division (amongst CBs)

Yep, statistically he’s not as crap as many make out, especially those who focus on the passes he gives away.  Cutting out the number of diags he tries to hit helps too imho.  But of course context is everything…

…creative passes are smaller in volume than general passing, so whikst he’s executing the creative stuff really well, there is room for improvement in the bread and butter passes.  If that makes sense?

Duels there is still work to do also, but this is comparing Zak with over 100 Champ CBs, so he’s generally not doing too bad is he?

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW here’s all three CBs data in league games this season prior to today.

Naismith

image.thumb.jpeg.46a1a80ec998f41f09664cb68cef3723.jpeg

Atkinson

image.thumb.jpeg.7c4367f295087fd84918702325f84b13.jpeg

Vyner:

image.thumb.jpeg.27dfc772699a759abbfc3d9f14b67a80.jpeg

@DavefevsAm I reading this correctly? Are Atkinson and Vyner having more defensive duels than Naismith or is it that they are just better at them? My “coasting” comment was tongue in cheek to a degree but is Naismith really playing as a sweeper in a back 3 where the other 2 do most of the actual defending and tackling? Hence is that the reason why they pick up more yellow cards on the basis of more tackles equals more opportunities to be carded if one is mistimed etc?

Edited by Dr Balls
Spelling
  • Like 1

I think we should all keep our feet on the ground. Any talk of a promotion challenge should at least wait until we prove ourselves in successive away games against Norwich and Burnley. I’m not thinking for now about where we might finish in the table, just delighted that for the first time in five years or so, we have a footballing identity. We are a joy to watch and I’m actually looking forward to match day coming round, rather than dreading it.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

@DavefevsAm I reading this correctly? Are Atkinson and Vyner having more defensive duels than Naismith or is it that they are just better at them? My “coasting” comment was tongue in cheek to a degree but is Naismith really playing as a sweeper in a back 3 where the other 2 do most of the actual defending and tackling? Hence is that the reason why they pick up more yellow cards on the basis of more tackles equals more opportunities to be carded if one is mistimed etc?

107275D7-37A3-46F3-95F4-54A54B8ACBA7.jpeg.79e318416104c887a669ecd872ab95a1.jpeg

zooming in on Naismith:

first 4 rows are all about how many he attempts, versus all other CBs in the Champ.

- he doesn’t have many defensive duels (when opponent has ball he is the ores in challenging) compared to the division

- he just below middle for aerial duels

- he goes in for lots of loose ball duels

- he makes lots of offensive duels (where he is on the ball and gets into a challenge) compared to the division, but then again he’s on the ball a lot more than most!

next 4 rows are how successful he is:

- duels wins just less than the average champ CB (so doesn’t go into many duels nor win his fair share

- aerials less again (so attempts an average amount but doesn’t win that much)

- in the top 15% of winning loose balls and offensive duels, couple with attempts a lot, is really good.

Heres a better way of seeing them against all CBs.

image.thumb.jpeg.ba36fdd300342e289c2956e3ae7bb16b.jpeg

in the bottom right corner you can see that Naismith commits a fraction more fouls (x axis) than Vyner, but gets less cards!

Hope it makes sense.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, pillred said:

Was a bad idea?? surely if you thought it was a bad idea to sack him you were in support of him, you have somewhat contradicted yourself.

No contradiction and you’re right I was and am in support of him. I’m saying I can’t believe I had to defend him staying, not that I had to but you know what I mean. I think most of us could see the performances were much better after those first few games yet there were people on here questioning his position. I expect there still are. 

Edited by real_bristol
  • Like 1
  • Admin
6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

107275D7-37A3-46F3-95F4-54A54B8ACBA7.jpeg.79e318416104c887a669ecd872ab95a1.jpeg

zooming in on Naismith:

first 4 rows are all about how many he attempts, versus all other CBs in the Champ.

- he doesn’t have many defensive duels (when opponent has ball he is the ores in challenging) compared to the division

- he just below middle for aerial duels

- he goes in for lots of loose ball duels

- he makes lots of offensive duels (where he is on the ball and gets into a challenge) compared to the division, but then again he’s on the ball a lot more than most!

next 4 rows are how successful he is:

- duels wins just less than the average champ CB (so doesn’t go into many duels nor win his fair share

- aerials less again (so attempts an average amount but doesn’t win that much)

- in the top 15% of winning loose balls and offensive duels, couple with attempts a lot, is really good.

Heres a better way of seeing them against all CBs.

image.thumb.jpeg.ba36fdd300342e289c2956e3ae7bb16b.jpeg

in the bottom right corner you can see that Naismith commits a fraction more fouls (x axis) than Vyner, but gets less cards!

Hope it makes sense.

Will the real Rob Atkinson please stand up ?

image.png

I didn't manage to see the game and so far have only seen highlights - all versions of which seem only to show our goals and none of the other chances we created.

Looking at the OS, it has full match videos for a few games, but Wigan is the last. Have they stopped adding these, or are they just Sky games, or are there rights issues? It would be nice to see the whole game somehow, or at leat more than 8-9 mins of highlights.

50 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I didn't manage to see the game and so far have only seen highlights - all versions of which seem only to show our goals and none of the other chances we created.

Looking at the OS, it has full match videos for a few games, but Wigan is the last. Have they stopped adding these, or are they just Sky games, or are there rights issues? It would be nice to see the whole game somehow, or at leat more than 8-9 mins of highlights.

Club are hoping to add the missing ones but Saturday might not be easy as it wasn’t on RTV

• Thanks 1