IGNORED

Mark Sykes

Lew-T

Honestly when we signed him I thought he’d be like a wagstaff/waghorn sort of player. Not really that effective and just a bit part player but he’s certainly holding his own at this level. Look a much better side with him in there, fitted for Wilson though as genuinely think if he gets a good run he’d be even better than Sykes which is saying something. Finally got some depth at the club! 

• Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

You can understand why he’s keeping two RB’s on the bench. Another calm and assured display down that flank…

I like the lad a lot.

He played in the wiemann role during pre season mainly I think & is a attacking midfielder/ winger . He’s technically playing out of position but you wouldn’t think it . Been very good 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He played in the wiemann role during pre season mainly I think & is a attacking midfielder/ winger . He’s technically playing out of position but you wouldn’t think it . Been very good 

Didn’t he say just after he arrived that he was trying to learn a new position?

If so, he appears to have applied himself extremely well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Agree with all the above.

Considering this is his first taste of Championship football and you could argue out of his natural position, he hasn’t put a foot wrong. 

Lets not get too carried away he put two feet wrong and got himself a red card, but I do like him :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Someone get this man a song already!

Love him and suits that wingback role where imo you need to be more of an attacker than defender and he does that. Just he does the work defensively too. Already rate him near the top of rb/rwb that we have had since promoted back to the championship

Watch us wreck the mic

Watch us wreck the mic

Watch us wreck the mic…..Sykes

Lets get ready to rumble etc etc etc

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Robin 1

33 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Didn’t he say just after he arrived that he was trying to learn a new position?

If so, he appears to have applied himself extremely well.

He did ,but I think he was alluding to the no10 role . I might be wrong though. He certainly looks at home at wing back 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Watch us wreck the mic

Watch us wreck the mic

Watch us wreck the mic…..Sykes

Lets get ready to rumble etc etc etc

Seriously, if I hear S82 singing this next week it will be one of my happiest Ashton Gate moments ❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He did ,but I think he was alluding to the no10 role . I might be wrong though. He certainly looks at home at wing back 

No he was talking about playing wingback Stevie

I knew zilch about him, when we signed him ,  and agree with @And Its Smith that the comments about any suitability to play RWB when we signed him were certainly not encouraging 

He played there a few times for Oxford but certainly a very new position for him

Edited by Sheltons Army

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

We can learn not to always listen to other teams fans as well. Every Oxford fan opinion I saw on it said he is never a wing back 

Nige and Curtis went to watch him play for Oxford and saw masses of potential to develop his skill set and they’ve clearly been working with him to that aim and his impressive performances have shown.

Excellent work from the coaching team - Sykes is becoming a very decent player indeed.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I knew zilch about him, when we signed him ,  and agree with @And Its Smith that the comments about any suitability to play RWB when we signed him were certainly not encouraging 

He played there a few times for Oxford but certainly a very new position for him

Ok . I thought it was after the pre season game he scored in when he broke from midfield. He’s doing a great job anyway. I’m sure Wilson will get his chance at some stage as well. 

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nige and Curtis went to watch him play for Oxford and saw masses of potential to develop his skill set and they’ve clearly been working with him to that aim and his impressive performances have shown.

Excellent work from the coaching team - Sykes is becoming a very decent player indeed.

I’ve been impressed with him also, good ability on the ball, good crosser, works really hard and he fully deserves his place in the team based on his form 

Wilson/Tanner to come in if his form or fitness dips 

5 minutes ago, Hxj said:

He's great but he needs to work really hard at defending.  Plenty of times he still stands and watches.  Then Vyner gets the grief.

Worth remembering of course that this isn't his first choice position- at Oxford iirc he was a midfielder mainly and more central. It'll come, as he gets more used to it- will become more natural.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, Hxj said:

He's great but he needs to work really hard at defending.  Plenty of times he still stands and watches.  Then Vyner gets the grief.

He does get caught at times but that’s the downside of wing backs . There’s that natural space between Zak & himself . Very difficult position to play & you need to be very fit. Corner flag to corner flag all game . I played as a traditional left back which was a piece of piss . You had a winger to look after that was it & got my left winger to come back & cover me. If I’d been asked to play wing back in the 90’s I wouldn’t of got out of bed 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

as he gets more used to it- will become more natural.

Of course, but we have a team of misfits, people who don't want to be here, just run around with their arms flapping, can't score goals, still in nappies, useless at everything ???

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Someone get this man a song already!

Love him and suits that wingback role where imo you need to be more of an attacker than defender and he does that. Just he does the work defensively too. Already rate him near the top of rb/rwb that we have had since promoted back to the championship

Surely Psycho Killer….just keep repeating it.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Yes he was….⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

…SSN is right, he was talking less about the position, but more about how we (City) wanted him to play it, ie, much more on the half-turn, than just trying to find space in the hole.

(I can only assume a bigger hole in lg1 - see Luke Freeman in 14/15 versus having no room at all in 15/16….so Fleming trying to get him used to having a DM up your arse when receiving the ball, hence need to be able to roll your man off your first touch to buy you half a yard)

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

He’s the second coming of Wagstaff I’m convinced. 

Very reliable, can play anywhere, and was the ‘meh’ signing in amongst lots of higher profile signings in the window he joined the club. 

Probably been my POTS so far honestly. 

He was definitely my meh out of the three, but I did say I was most excited by him too, ie how he’d come in and make us better, when I saw him quite a bit on the periphery in games at Oxford.

• Like 1