IGNORED

Danny Wilson was City's last 'proper' manager - discuss.

Superjack

The one thing I will add, because it always comes up, no one was really "surprised" that he was let go. He was in year 4 of a 3 year plan, he had tried a very attacking style, then he tried tempering it with a more defensive style. In my opinion some terrible football was played toward the end of his reign, with 2 full backs in midfield and long ball tactics, we spent long periods of games waiting for a Tinnion 50 yarder or a Bell free kick.

But we never looked any further forward, we didn't progress beyond being a big fish in a small pond, so much money for that level wasted to a great extent, people moan about the amount of money LJ had at his disposal, but on a Third league scale at the time, we were ******* Man City. We should have pissed it at least one of the seasons he had.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Gary Johnson, by far the best manager in my time watching city. Followed by Lee Johnson.

Danny Wilson had a ridiculous squad, but couldnt get promoted. Failure to have Lita on the bench, for the play-off final was craziness. The only thing you can call him, is a proper failure. The idea we played great football, was nonsense too. We just had very good players.

Edited by Riaz
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Gary Johnson, by far the best manager in my time watching city. Followed by Lee Johnson.

Danny Wilson had a ridiculous squad, but couldnt get promoted. Failure to have Lita on the bench, for the play-off final was craziness. The only thing you can call him, is a proper failure. The idea we played great football, was nonsense too. We just had very good players.

Exactly this with the exception that Alan Dicks was by far the best for me but GJ was second

Play off final and (if my memory serves me right) not one shot on target

It's a failure from me I'm afraid

38 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Lee Johnson was fine until that infamous Wolves defeat and then it was a gradual decline from there imo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

A complete waste of three/four drunken years. He had more money allowed to him than many others before and since but wasted it because of the drinking culture within the club.

The most frustrating spell in my seventy years as a City supporter!

That play off final where he didn’t involve Lita was criminal. You could almost be forgiven for thinking he lost that on purpose!! One of a handful of games in my time supporting the club that I left a game feeling genuinely angry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Cotts then GJ for me. Both achieved promotion/won things for us. Something Wilson never did. Wilson will be remembered as a ‘nearly manager’ for me certainly not a ‘proper’ manager.. anyone that says anything different is a trolling *** ?

Cotterill can’t be held above Johnson.

Automatically promoted from League 1 in first full season after 9 years in that division with No Flint , No Jet, No Bryan he built his own spine and rejuvenated some deadwood.

Then Championship finishes in full seasons 4th (play off final), 10th, 10th

He also would have won the Johnstones paint Trophy for us (which means little)in the promotion season if we didn’t have to play a local derby against our little club rival in the game of their lives with a future England international and Liverpool striker up front ?‍♂️

Cotterill won League 1 but I mean better than Gary for us ???

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

The one thing I will add, because it always comes up, no one was really "surprised" that he was let go. He was in year 4 of a 3 year plan, he had tried a very attacking style, then he tried tempering it with a more defensive style. In my opinion some terrible football was played toward the end of his reign, with 2 full backs in midfield and long ball tactics, we spent long periods of games waiting for a Tinnion 50 yarder or a Bell free kick.

But we never looked any further forward, we didn't progress beyond being a big fish in a small pond, so much money for that level wasted to a great extent, people moan about the amount of money LJ had at his disposal, but on a Third league scale at the time, we were ******* Man City. We should have pissed it at least one of the seasons he had.

I remember some managers at that level referring to us as the Chelsea of Division 2 in 2003

• Thanks 1

Been going since Wilson was in charge. We played great football under him, just couldn't get over the line. In truth we just were not good enough in that era to get promoted. League 1 was tough back then and money was being chucked about by other clubs stupidly like Wigan, Cardiff, QPR, Stoke etc.

It is obviously all about preferences really and styles. Wilson was no where near as good as Cotterill and GJ, but to me on a par with LJ - Who spent millions at his time at the club and achieved nothing.

On Gary Johnson. Everything was great until January 2008 when he decided to bring in a big CF and we stopped playing our progressive high tempo passing football. It was downhill from then on, we should have gone up automatically but that is down to how good he was at that time for us. Unfortunately after the PO final defeat he made many errors in the transfer market and on player contracts which messed the club up long term for a few years after he left which kind of tarnished his great work, for me.

Cotterill couldn't adapt to the Championship and if he had changed from a 352 to a 442 history could have been different, but he wouldn't change and was stubborn. 

Lee Johnson spent more money than any other manager I have known in my time following City and we didn't achieve anything, much like Danny Wilson's sides. I never actually thought the football under LJ was attractive aside from the early 17/18 season, which is a small percentage of his reign. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Logical-City said:

I remember some managers at that level referring to us as the Chelsea of Division 2 in 2003

Our recruitment in 2003 was nothing special. We sold Scott Murray and signed Luke Wilkshire and Lee Miller. That wasn't enough if you compare what QPR, Swindon and Plymouth did that Summer.

Maybe you have got the year wrong but in 2005 under Tinnion we got in Marcus Stewart and Michael Bridges and were heavy favourites to win the league

Edited by 2015

58 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I find it outrageous that LJ is above Cotts. All about opinions though. That’s why we love it. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Logical-City said:

Cotterill can’t be held above Johnson.

Automatically promoted from League 1 in first full season after 9 years in that division with No Flint , No Jet, No Bryan he built his own spine and rejuvenated some deadwood.

Then Championship finishes in full seasons 4th (play off final), 10th, 10th

He also would have won the Johnstones paint Trophy for us (which means little)in the promotion season if we didn’t have to play a local derby against our little club rival in the game of their lives with a future England international and Liverpool striker up front ?‍♂️

Cotterill won League 1 but I mean better than Gary for us ???

I loved Cotts, but any dissing of Gary Johnson is wide of the mark.

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

• Admin
20 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Lee Johnson was fine until that infamous Wolves defeat and then it was a gradual decline from there imo.

Everyone remembers that defeat against Wolves in 17/18 precipitating the end of our season as you can see from the results that followed...

image.png

But, they also did for us the next season too when beating us in the FA Cup (we had won 9 games in a row leading into this game)...

image.png

We finished 4 points outside the play-offs. I bet LJ really dislikes Wolves.

• Like 2