IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

2 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Would you extend the same choice to players, ground staff, transport workers, people in hospitality etc etc? Or should they all be working so that you can go to football?

As far as I’m aware, no one has had any enforced time off work as part of the mourning period.. obviously if people want the time off to mourn, that’s something for the individual to sort on a case by case basis. 

Just now, OneTeamInBristol said:

All fixtures will be postponed this weekend, an entirely correct decision.

If you're struggling to understand why, give your head a wobble.

I am struggling to understand why. I’ve ‘given my head a wobble’ and am still none the wiser.

Can you tell me?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Calculus said:

Would you extend the same choice to players, ground staff, transport workers, people in hospitality etc etc? Or should they all be working so that you can go to football?

Trains and busses are running anyway, many people who work in hospitality are on zero hour contracts so if they’re not working, they’re not being paid. 

5 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Well it is borderline racist. It doesn't even make much sense

I guess the gist is blaming the Queen for being the figurehead at the top of an edifice that included colonialism in the early part of her reign - most black 'subjects' had no self-government and in some cases no right to vote until the 1960s - and having wealth derived from past Royals involvement in the slave trade and exploitation of Africa and the West Indies.

It's a nonsense argument in my view, quite why he makes it I don't know.  However, I'm with @The Batman about people's right to make themselves look stupid on Twitter. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Im at work today along with the vast majority of the population so i really don’t get your point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Calculus said:

The government haven't announced a bank holiday today, millions of us are working today.

Why are people working in football any different from people working in Asda?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Do I agree with what he said? No

Does he have a right to say it? Yes. 

Don't agree with it? Move on. Seen on twitter people are calling for him to be sacked..... Idiots in my book. He's done nothing illegal. 

It's the lacking of self-awareness and the utter hypocrisy on Sinclair's part that makes me smile to myself.

Sinclair is a self-confessed (pleaded guilty), convicted racist who, on such a very sad day for people of all nationalities, ethnicities and religions, feels the need to remind us all that racism is alive and well in the UK.

• Like 2

Just now, OneTeamInBristol said:

All fixtures will be postponed this weekend, an entirely correct decision.

If you're struggling to understand why, give your head a wobble.

Well I’m wobbling my head then.

I see absolutely no reason to cancel games (postpone and rearrange)…least of all so late in the day, when people and business have made financial commitments.  In the current climate, my opinion is that this would be an over-reaction.

By all means have your opinion.  I understand why you may have your view….doesn’t make it “entirely correct” either.

For the vast majority of people, there is a little sadness and respects wanting to be given….but beyond that no impact at all.  You may well feel the impact of this more than me (and by all means grieve), but for me, cancelling the game has a much bigger impact than letting it go ahead.

We should respect each other’s opinions and views on this, without saying someone else is wrong.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

What a bizarre take.  Pretty much everyone is working today whether they want to or not. 

Agree , bizarre

But , Can I just record in advance , that when I take the exit door , I would herebyrequest that HM Government grant a paid Bank Holiday of 1 months duration , to all Bristol City followers 

A period in which they should crack on , and enjoy their unexpected extra free time !

• Haha 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

7 minutes ago, Calculus said:

I'm still working, tbh it's like any other day for me and I see nothing wrong with that, so why should the football be cancelled when we're all working still?

• Like 2

If sporting events are cancelled for security reasons. I.e the police are required elsewhere then that makes more sense to me - albeit that wouldn’t have the same affect on all events / clubs.

if the reasoning is a mark of respect, surely all work places (excluding emergency services for obvious reasons) pubs, bars, nightclubs should close as well? I’m not sure I get the specific significance of sporting events with that reasoning…

Edited by Red Army 87
  • Like 2

I will probably be admonished for a bit of humour to try and lighten the gloom

But I keep getting images of Stoney Garnett, dressed in his finest , and his red hat , hovering by the Pearly Gates to greet her , with a brand new City scarf in his hand ...

Good Morning Your Majesty....... I’ve reserved a great seat for you , just over here in the City section 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

It's the lacking of self-awareness and the utter hypocrisy on Sinclair's part that makes me smile to myself.

Sinclair is a self-confessed (pleaded guilty), convicted racist who, on such a very sad day for people of all nationalities, ethnicities and religions, feels the need to remind us all that racism is alive and well in the UK.

I don't disagree. Trust me, I'm always one for hypocrisy pointing. But let him make his own mistakes. He's done nothing illegal. He stated an opinion. People can laugh, mock, get annoyed, agree etc. He has a right to have that viewpoint and people can decide if they like what he says or doesn't. 

Talksport have no grounds to dismiss him just because he didn't like the Queen. People can just not tune in to his show when he's on. Vote with your feet (in this case ears). Never know, he may get a higher audience now. 

35 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Do I agree with what he said? No

Does he have a right to say it? Yes. 

Don't agree with it? Move on. Seen on twitter people are calling for him to be sacked..... Idiots in my book. He's done nothing illegal. 

He may well have a right to say it but by exercising that right he has no doubt breached his contract with Talksport and therefore must face the consequences once he's awoken from his drunken state. 

I thought the BBC got it spot on last night. They had factual text updates of the games that went ahead, but didn't do the normal light-hearted text chat thing. 

For my tuppence worth I think it's right to carry on, to keep life going. The Queen ruled a nation not a morgue. I would rather see stadia filled with people singing the national anthem and respectfully holding a period of silence than see these modern churches fall silent and empty.

Mourning does not mean stopping everything.

Continue with life, but be conscious that some people are grieving, and so you continue with life in a modest and respectful manner.

Play up! Play up! And play the game!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Batman said:

I don't disagree. Trust me, I'm always one for hypocrisy pointing. But let him make his own mistakes. He's done nothing illegal. He stated an opinion. People can laugh, mock, get annoyed, agree etc. He has a right to have that viewpoint and people can decide if they like what he says or doesn't. 

Talksport have no grounds to dismiss him just because he didn't like the Queen. People can just not tune in to his show when he's on. Vote with your feet (in this case ears). Never know, he may get a higher audience now. 

No grounds to dismiss him? Pretty sure included in his contract would be something which gives them the right to dismiss him if he did something like this. 

Nothing should be cancelled - it’s crackers they are even considering it. If you don’t want to go tomorrow then don’t go but the vast majority will and are happy to crack on whilst paying their respects before the game etc. Wont achieve anything by cancelling except hacking a load of people off who many have made plans and spent money etc. 

Personally I think the royal family is an outdated concept etc but happy for it to continue as long as they bring in more in tourism etc than they cost (ie the taxpayer benefits and doesn’t really affect my life). 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

No grounds to dismiss him? Pretty sure included in his contract would be something which gives them the right to dismiss him if he did something like this. 

I'll have to take your word for it. Personally I don't see he did anything wrong unless he had a clause in his contract saying that you're not allowed to insult a dead monarch. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. 

14 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think enforced cancellations of anything are wrong and I’m not sure The Queen would’ve wanted it.

People are sick of being dictated to after Covid - and the economy is in tatters. Cancelling events isn’t the right thing to do in my opinion and will cost the country an enormous amount of money.

Let people mourn if they wish, and if they want to stay away then fine, but it shouldn’t be imposed on everyone. 

Agreed a lot of people are going through deaths of their children, parents actual family, kids family suffering with cancer life threatening illness not much time left! Football is a bonding experience people look forward to all week for some it is their life’s no holidays, trips abroad it’s home and away to the football each Saturday gets them through depressing weeks!

End of the day she has had as far as we know 96 years of great health with children, multiple grandchildren and riches we could only ever dream of to cancel everything this weekend will create resentment rather than encouraging respect 

Edited by Logical-City
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Amazing how little folks appreciate how they are governed and constitutional Requirement.

The official 'period of mourning' has nothing to do with how folks are expected to act or what they do. Its a constitutional requirement to allow a vast reset of the very fabric as to the state function. Recall every civil servant is that of the monarch (albeit via the monarch's Government.) Department & Agencies are the monarch's. The judiciary acts on behalf of the monarch. All those things are in the monarch's name and as the monarch changes so must the documentation via which we are governed.

To give you an example of the scale of change. I worked on the implementation of the Marriages (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013. So what you say? Well, over a thousand years of legislation had passed using terms such as husband/wife, man/woman, he/she. We identified around 700 pieces of primary legislation (the really important stuff,) that would all require redrafting as the new act ran contrary to that on statute and (theoretically at least,) be subject to Parliamentary approval (we estimated if Parliament did nothing other than change what they needed to for this one Act it would occupy the next 27 years of the parliamentary timetable, with nothing else debated during that time.)

Edited by BTRFTG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Logical-City said:

Exactly holiday for football?

I guess all us peasants just have to sit in dark rooms and sulk all weekend. 

I just think life should somewhat continue as normal, but be respectful of others at this time. I don't see what good stopping leisurely activities is going to do other than bring the general mood of the Country down. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Nothing should be cancelled - it’s crackers they are even considering it. If you don’t want to go tomorrow then don’t go but the vast majority will and are happy to crack on whilst paying their respects before the game etc. Wont achieve anything by cancelling except hacking a load of people off who many have made plans and spent money etc. 

Personally I think the royal family is an outdated concept etc but happy for it to continue as long as they bring in more in tourism etc than they cost (ie the taxpayer benefits and doesn’t really affect my life). 

Totally agree . I don’t have particularly strong opinions either way on the Monarchy but the fawning “ the Country is in shock and in a state of mourning “ guff is so woefully out of touch with reality yet again !  Her attitude in ww2 was to stay put and get on with living our lives and the greatest mark of respect for her life would be to do likewise right now ( with the exception of her state funeral )