IGNORED

Football Italia

Bristol Rob

49 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

In the 90s, myself and my mate Martin and our respective other halves jointly purchased an apartment in a village overlooking Lake Transimeno and we took it in turns to holiday there, letting it out to friends when it was unused.

During this time, I started making occasional visits to watch AC Perugia, then on the verge of and shortly to be promoted to Serie A. Despite having a totally mad owner, it was always a great day out. I'd pop along with Gennaro, the owner of the bar below the apartment, and he'd always know great places to eat and drink in the city, which was part of the attraction. Lazio was one of our most hated sides: Rome was not too distant, and the Lazio region borders Umbria, where Perugia is located. There were a number of Lazio bars in the city, and you had to avoid them, and their supporters steered clear of the Grifoni (Perugia)ones. We also weren't fond of the Bologna w-----s. not sure why, Fiorentina was the nearer club. Some Italian thing, doubtless. 

Sadly within 5 years, we had to abandon the agreement, Mart's job made it difficult to spend us much time in Italy as he wanted, and myself and Mrs R were always on the verge of splitting up, so we didn't want to take on the flat just by ourselves. We sold up, thus never had the chance to see Colonel Gaddafi's son and, er, Jay Bothroyd, turning out for Perugia.  Dreadful owners and utter incompetence allowed the club to go bust about 2010 and now a phoenix club plays in Serie B.

Haven't been to Italy for about 15 years. ? That's something I'll have to put right soon. It's just my favourite place.

Perugia and it's area is a lovely place. What a treat to have a place there.

It's like Tuscany in many respects.

As for the football...like it's Politics, it's all over the place.

An experience for a tourist...but living there can be a nightmare. It's soooooo different from the UK.

However...I'd still live there tomorrow if I could run a business, be excepted and speak fluent Italian/dialect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

In the 90s, myself and my mate Martin and our respective other halves jointly purchased an apartment in a village overlooking Lake Transimeno and we took it in turns to holiday there, letting it out to friends when it was unused.

During this time, I started making occasional visits to watch AC Perugia, then on the verge of and shortly to be promoted to Serie A. Despite having a totally mad owner, it was always a great day out. I'd pop along with Gennaro, the owner of the bar below the apartment, and he'd always know great places to eat and drink in the city, which was part of the attraction. Lazio was one of our most hated sides: Rome was not too distant, and the Lazio region borders Umbria, where Perugia is located. There were a number of Lazio bars in the city, and you had to avoid them, and their supporters steered clear of the Grifoni (Perugia)ones. We also weren't fond of the Bologna w-----s. not sure why, Fiorentina was the nearer club. Some Italian thing, doubtless. 

Sadly within 5 years, we had to abandon the agreement, Mart's job made it difficult to spend us much time in Italy as he wanted, and myself and Mrs R were always on the verge of splitting up, so we didn't want to take on the flat just by ourselves. We sold up, thus never had the chance to see Colonel Gaddafi's son and, er, Jay Bothroyd, turning out for Perugia.  Dreadful owners and utter incompetence allowed the club to go bust about 2010 and now a phoenix club plays in Serie B.

Haven't been to Italy for about 15 years. ? That's something I'll have to put right soon. It's just my favourite place.

So, Lake Trasimeno, or the Somerset levels? Do you ever wonder about life’s choices and what might have been?! (Perugia v Bristol City - think you certainly made the right one there!).

Here’s how it was looking earlier this week…

56411565-14D5-41BC-A5E7-361E0FD52D2A.jpeg

• Flames 2

10 hours ago, redrum said:

as well as the wettest match ever in Genoa with @Olé and friends 

It's only Mansfield away you're missing, that won't be exciting, they said.

Instead I got drenched watching second rate Italian football and random pensioners wandering through the stand carrying their groceries.

Edited by Olé
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, spudski said:

Juve having a nightmare start to the season ???

You can argue all you like about Juve and its owner in the past...the bribes and drugs... there is enough evidence to show they were ' favoured ' in the past.

This season is a breath of fresh air across Serie A.

Wonder if the introduction of VAR to check for correct decisions and their downturn in recent years are entirely unconnected and coincidental events. ?

Side looks okay on paper though, some odd transfer decisions too.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wonder if the introduction of VAR to check for correct decisions and their downturn in recent years are entirely unconnected and coincidental events. ?

Side looks okay on paper though, some odd transfer decisions too.

That's a fair point...however ' buying' people was a pastime for Juve, so getting to VAR officials may have not happened yet...or ever.

Either way, its refreshing to see change. Italian football has been massively corrupt for many years.

Juve being the main protagonist.

• Like 2

Just now, spudski said:

That's a fair point...however ' buying' people was a pastime for Juve, so getting to VAR officials may have not happened yet...or ever.

Either way, its refreshing to see change. Italian football has been massively corrupt for many years.

Juve being the main protagonist.

Ha my point was a bit more that harder to corrupt VAR than refs, was agreeing if anything. Periodically been questions about Juventus and how well earned their wins have been, but otoh they've had some legitimately top class sides, players and managers too of course.

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ha my point was a bit more that harder to corrupt VAR than refs, was agreeing if anything. Periodically been questions about Juventus and how well earned their wins have been, but otoh they've had some legitimately top class sides, players and managers too of course.

Ah right...no problem. ??

The Agnelli family and Berlasconi in past years have had massive influence on Juve's position.

Business, media, government..they basically owned massive influencial parts of the country.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Ah right...no problem. ??

The Agnelli family and Berlasconi in past years have had massive influence on Juve's position.

Business, media, government..they basically owned massive influencial parts of the country.

Berlusconi was AC Milan of course but yes, heard they were influential in more than just football...although in Berlusconi's case the football did him no harm. No harm at all, business wise, financially or I suspect politically.

Agnelli family I know less about I'll admit.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Berlusconi was AC Milan of course but yes, heard they were influential in more than just football...although in Berlusconi's case the football did him no harm. No harm at all, business wise, financially or I suspect politically.

Agnelli family I know less about I'll admit.

Yes I'm glad you said that... Berlasconi, Milan, business, Politics, Media, Juve, Agnelli.,.all intertwined.

A massive influence on how people voted and were scared of losing jobs, business etc.

Football was a catalyst of life in general.

They have massive influence on the people.

• Thanks 1