IGNORED

Football Italia

Bristol Rob

It certainly sparked my interest in Italian football.

With the advent of cheaper flights, I would often fly out for long weekends to various Italian Cities to catch games. 

I then started following Lazio, what a team they had in the early 2000s.

Witnessed some great games around all parts of Italy. As well as enjoying the Italian way of life...witnessing the bad as well. Atalanta, Brescia, Napoli and of course the Rome Derby were nuts compared to here.

It was surprising how many people used to fly out on a weekend to watch games in Italy. Planes would be full of supporters from England.

I remember watching Juve's last game at the D Alpi. Atalanta fans tore up the seating, got to meet the Great John Charles, fans invaded the pitch at the end. On the flight home...I ended up sat next to a young lady from Yate of all places. She had a lump of grass from the pitch in her handbag :laugh:...she also revealed she was a Juve season ticket holder. Flew to most games and got put up by Italian friends she made.

That's how cheap it was to fly back then. It was often cheaper to fly out, buy a ticket and cheap hotel for a couple nights, than go to an away game here.

Most memorable was £4.50 return to Genoa. £10 ticket. £40 for two nights hotel. 

Good times.

Would also buy Football/Calcio Italia magazine and Gazzetta Dello Sport on a Monday for all the news. It was that popular, the paper was sold in WH Smith's here in the UK.

Some very fond memories.

Can recommend anyone doing it.

• Like 17

52 minutes ago, spudski said:

With the advent of cheaper flights, I would often fly out for long weekends to various Italian Cities to catch games. 

Witnessed some great games around all parts of Italy. As well as enjoying the Italian way of life...witnessing the bad as well. Atalanta, Brescia, Napoli and of course the Rome Derby were nuts compared to here.

It was surprising how many people used to fly out on a weekend to watch games in Italy. Planes would be full of supporters from England.

I remember watching Juve's last game at the D Alpi. Atalanta fans tore up the seating, got to meet the Great John Charles, fans invaded the pitch at the end. On the flight home...I ended up sat next to a young lady from Yate of all places. She had a lump of grass from the pitch in her handbag :laugh:...she also revealed she was a Juve season ticket holder. Flew to most games and got put up by Italian friends she made.

That's how cheap it was to fly back then. It was often cheaper to fly out, buy a ticket and cheap hotel for a couple nights, than go to an away game here.

Good times.

Would also buy Football/Calcio Italia magazine and Gazzetta Dello Sport on a Monday for all the news. It was that popular, the paper was sold in WH Smith's here in the UK.

Some very fond memories.

Living the dream there bud! Ive never made it to italy, but its on my bucket list! Happy days watching james richardson too

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Living the dream there bud! Ive never made it to italy, but its on my bucket list! Happy days watching james richardson too

Sadly I don't have the time anymore. 

Or the inclination...

Flying is a ball ache, more restrictions on getting tickets for games etc

It was so much easier, relaxing and enjoyable back then.

Not so now. Just a headache.

Cost and restrictions...ever more increasing.

I’ve got very similar memories, @spudski. My interest started a bit earlier, after watching Roma play at Wrexham! But there’s no doubt those Calcio Italia years were when Italian football reached its heights - Serie A was the equivalent of the PL then in terms of attracting the worlds top players.

And like you, Lazio is the team I follow most - although that was more down to meeting a Lazio fan who’s become a family friend since, and realising the error of liking Roma! As you say, the Rome derbys are something else. I was lucky enough to get to the one when Gasgoine played in his first derby - when he scored that late equaliser we finished up about 25 metres from our original seats! The shows that the fans put on before those games are incredible and must take weeks of planning. Conversely, the last derby I went to was when both sets of fans were on strike! And (unlike on here where people say they’re never going to the Gate again while xxx is there etc) in Italy they really do it, and for a whole season. There was a crowd of about 20,000 and few fans in the Curve watched in complete silence! 

For a few years we’d stop off in a place called Asti on the way home from holiday. We went to the Juventus Club Asti to see if we could buy tickets for the match, and what we got was a ticket that included the coach journey from Asti to and from the game. So we ended up with seats just behind the “Fighters Asti” with their banners and big drums! They were a great bunch, so friendly and welcoming of this odd English couple travelling with them - and even more remarkable as it wasn’t all that long after Heysel. 

I’ve had some fabulous times and seen some fabulous players - Gullit, Van Basten and Riikjard playing together for Milan at the San Siro springs to mind. And not forgetting sitting behind Channel 4s James Richardson at Piacenza v Juve once! 

I was at Lazio v Verona yesterday. Not the greatest quality, bot helped by a poor pitch the Olimpico, but an exciting game that wasn’t as comfortable for Lazio as it sounds. A certain Milan Djuric was on the bench for Verona but didn’t get on sadly. And Lazio have a midfielder Marcos Antonio, who’s a good 2inches shorter that Jay Dasilva! 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I’ve got very similar memories, @spudski. My interest started a bit earlier, after watching Roma play at Wrexham! But there’s no doubt those Calcio Italia years were when Italian football reached its heights - Serie A was the equivalent of the PL then in terms of attracting the worlds top players.

And like you, Lazio is the team I follow most - although that was more down to meeting a Lazio fan who’s become a family friend since, and realising the error of liking Roma! As you say, the Rome derbys are something else. I was lucky enough to get to the one when Gasgoine played in his first derby - when he scored that late equaliser we finished up about 25 metres from our original seats! The shows that the fans put on before those games are incredible and must take weeks of planning. Conversely, the last derby I went to was when both sets of fans were on strike! And (unlike on here where people say they’re never going to the Gate again while xxx is there etc) in Italy they really do it, and for a whole season. There was a crowd of about 20,000 and few fans in the Curve watched in complete silence! 

For a few years we’d stop off in a place called Asti on the way home from holiday. We went to the Juventus Club Asti to see if we could buy tickets for the match, and what we got was a ticket that included the coach journey from Asti to and from the game. So we ended up with seats just behind the “Fighters Asti” with their banners and big drums! They were a great bunch, so friendly and welcoming of this odd English couple travelling with them - and even more remarkable as it wasn’t all that long after Heysel. 

I’ve had some fabulous times and seen some fabulous players - Gullit, Van Basten and Riikjard playing together for Milan at the San Siro springs to mind. And not forgetting sitting behind Channel 4s James Richardson at Piacenza v Juve once! 

I was at Lazio v Verona yesterday. Not the greatest quality, bot helped by a poor pitch the Olimpico, but an exciting game that wasn’t as comfortable for Lazio as it sounds. A certain Milan Djuric was on the bench for Verona but didn’t get on sadly. And Lazio have a midfielder Marcos Antonio, who’s a good 2inches shorter that Jay Dasilva! 

Fantastic...thanks for sharing. Good times as you say.

I haven't been for a couple years now.

Hopefully I will again in the future.

Awesome you were able to go yesterday. I see Savic is still performing well.

Like you say...the fans treat you well as an ' outsider'.

I still avidly follow Juventus, a passion started by this very programme and being seduced by the 'Bianconeri' colours - I remember the magical 3 of Ravenelli, Vialli and a very young Del Piero.

Saturday mornings was waiting for James to sit at a cafe, and read through the papers telling us who each club was going to buy (how times have changed)

I was very much on my own in a crowded pub (when Juventus played Man U in the Champs League semi final) and having to restrain myself when Inzaghi scored twice early on to put "us" 2-0 up - then it all fell apart and having numerous idiots trying to start on me when Utd finally scored 3rd goal.

My partner secretly got us tickets so i could watch Juventus away at Fiorentina 3 years ago (we were doing 4 day trip in Italy visiting Florance and Rome), but 2 weeks before the changed the date due to champ league and we couldnt make it. Having 2 young kids and being City Season ticket holder means we dont have the time for such luxuries at the moment, but id love to try again.

Italian football seems to be getting more competitive again, and as such the quality is coming back meaning they are a bigger force in europe again. As for Juve, currently Allegri is back for his second stint but its not quite working at the moment and hes under alot of pressure, things could be different if he had Chiesa, Pogba, Di Maria and Locatelli available but it could be too late as performances have been dire.

• Like 4

James Richardson is among one of the greatest Football presenters of all time, he is the presenting version of Peter Drury for me. A legend

2 minutes ago, brad blit said:

I still avidly follow Juventus, a passion started by this very programme and being seduced by the 'Bianconeri' colours - I remember the magical 3 of Ravenelli, Vialli and a very young Del Piero.

Hell of a game that was last night

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Good times.

Some very fond memories.

The "born in the wrong generation" idea usually annoys me but I really wish I could have experienced that! 

Done my share of european grounds but far too expensive to make it a regular thing.

For example im off to croatia tomorrow and 2 returns was £626 ?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

Fantastic...thanks for sharing. Good times as you say.

I haven't been for a couple years now.

Hopefully I will again in the future.

Awesome you were able to go yesterday. I see Savic is still performing well.

Like you say...the fans treat you well as an ' outsider'.

Yes, yesterday was Savic’s 300th game for Lazio - that’s quite a record in Serie A. Have to say he wasn’t at his best yesterday, but he’s a great player.

Hope you manage to get back soon. It’s starting to feel like Italian football is emerging from the doldrums of the past few years. 

Flights won’t be as cheap again now and as you say the hassle with tickets and ID is a pain - although having a friend here helps with that. The other thing that is now a nightmare with Serie A is knowing when games are going to get played. If we think we have problems with Sky moving games……

Yesterday’s game was scheduled for ‘the weekend 10/11 September” which means it could have been played on the Friday night, various times Saturday or Sunday, or Monday night. And they didn’t decide which until 30th August. So 10 days before! Luckily, I was here anyway, but it makes planning a short break visit very difficult. 

They have so many live games now that there are some weekends when no two serie A games kick off at the same time. 

10 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yes, yesterday was Savic’s 300th game for Lazio - that’s quite a record in Serie A. Have to say he wasn’t at his best yesterday, but he’s a great player.

Hope you manage to get back soon. It’s starting to feel like Italian football is emerging from the doldrums of the past few years. 

Flights won’t be as cheap again now and as you say the hassle with tickets and ID is a pain - although having a friend here helps with that. The other thing that is now a nightmare with Serie A is knowing when games are going to get played. If we think we have problems with Sky moving games……

Yesterday’s game was scheduled for ‘the weekend 10/11 September” which means it could have been played on the Friday night, various times Saturday or Sunday, or Monday night. And they didn’t decide which until 30th August. So 10 days before! Luckily, I was here anyway, but it makes planning a short break visit very difficult. 

They have so many live games now that there are some weekends when no two serie A games kick off at the same time. 

Yes...that was also a problem, the late changing of games for TV. I missed a game because of that. A Sunday night fixture got moved to Monday night. My flight back home was Monday. ??

Like you say...having a mate get tickets helps. I often found people who worked in hotels who were Lazio fans would get tickets for us if need be.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TomF said:

Not half, 

Thing is people will see this video and think Juve were robbed (Candreva by corner flag was playing Bonucci onside) but in reality Juve were poor again last night and barely deserved a draw against Salernitana - it pains me watching Juve at the moment, thank god my main passion are playing the best footy iv seen in years at the Gate!!! 

Just now, brad blit said:

Thing is people will see this video and think Juve were robbed (Candreva by corner flag was playing Bonucci onside) but in reality Juve were poor again last night and barely deserved a draw against Salernitana - it pains me watching Juve at the moment, thank god my main passion are playing the best footy iv seen in years at the Gate!!! 

Some of Juve's transfer business has been eyebrow raising over the last 3/4 years. Some really strange decisions have been made. Coupled with the fact they've lost all momentum in terms of Serie A titles and CL challengers. 

For the neutral it makes for a more exciting league where most teams can beat anyone (Udinese 4-0 Roma). Atalanta having a great start to the season..

9 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Some of Juve's transfer business has been eyebrow raising over the last 3/4 years. Some really strange decisions have been made. Coupled with the fact they've lost all momentum in terms of Serie A titles and CL challengers. 

For the neutral it makes for a more exciting league where most teams can beat anyone (Udinese 4-0 Roma). Atalanta having a great start to the season..

Its hard to point why its gone wrong for Juve past 3-4 years 

- constant changing at boardroom/management level

- insistence of playing BBC (Bonucci, Barzaghli and Chiellini) has meant other good young defenders like Rugani & Romero were never given the chance

- trying to get team playing 'attractive football' with Pirlo and Sarri as managers, but then not really signing the players to suit the system they wanted

- Overall the signings over the past 3-4 years have been generally poor, Vlahovic is different from that thou and can see him flourishing once Chiesa and Di Maria are either side of him (and not Kean & Kostic like last night)

Like you said the league can realistically be won now by 5-6 teams and there are no easy games anymore. If i had to put money on anyone this year its hard to look past Milan again as they can grind out results better than other teams

13 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

There was a superb BT Sport documentary on Gazetta a while back.  Not sure if you can get it on catch up but it’s still shown from time to time on repeat.   Certainly worth looking out for for those that loved the programme.   

• Like 1

Been saying for a while now that the Italian football is my guilty pleasure on a Sunday lunchtime and the league does seem to be on an upward curve these last couple of years. 

I’ve always had a soft spot for AC Milan, so it’s been nice to seem them going well, although I’m not an overly massive fan of this season kit.

• Like 1

Missed the heyday of Football Italia, remember it vaguely in the early 2000's towards the tailend.

Quite like a bit of Serie A, went to Roma v Inter in 2017 although there were 'only 50k there so good game, good atmosphere but think Olimpico holds 72k or something. About 1/3 empty.

The home fans didn't much like Spalletti when his name was read out (he quit Roma to go to Inter and this was Roma's 1st home game of the new season- reached the CL semi final that season of course).

Roma scored 1st, was behind the goal not far from the Ultras section so the atmosphere was decent. Roma in fact looked good but lost 3-1in the end, did hit the woodwork 3 times however! Icardi when he was still good shone, scoring twice for Inter. How he has declined in the last couple of years, still only late 20's!?

Oh other good thing, guess what!! You can drink in view of the pitch, they even went up and down the aisles selling it 1st half! (Seemed not to reappear after HT).

On 12/09/2022 at 08:55, italian dave said:

I’ve bought some T Shirts from this site, really really top quality, thought you might like this one; https://thenorthcurve.com/products/lazio-classic-retro-football-t-shirt-football-top

• Thanks 1

I lived down in Sicily for a couple of years and during that time I followed the fortunes of the local clubs Catania and Siracusa. 

As tends to the the case with Southern Italian clubs, both were complete basket cases, particularly the latter. I remember it going to the last game of the season with Siracusa having an outside chance of the playoffs.. once I got to the ground and looked at the program, I suddenly realized that during the week they’d been deducted about 20 points for financial mismanagement and that I was instead watching a relegation battle! They won it to stay up, but a year later they went bankrupt. They’ve since reformed, gone bust and reformed again in the years since! ?

On 12/09/2022 at 08:55, italian dave said:

You’ve had some quality times by the sound of it. That Milan side of the ‘90s was immense, Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta followed by Weah, Seedorf, Cafu etc.

I also follow Lazio, largely because Gazza joined them during the Gazzetta Football Italia days. The last trip I made to watch them was a 4-0 win over Parma.   

• Like 1

One of the spectacles of Italian. Football can be the ‘coreografia’ that the fans organise in the stadium before the match. 

At one Lazio night game I went to they unfurled an enormous black sheet that covered the entire Curva Nord in the Stadio Olimpico: huge letters LAZIO were cut out and held together with netting, and when it was unfurled everyone underneath the lettering lit cigarette lighters. Incredible. 

Here’s a couple of more recent examples.

• Like 2

And more recently Lazio have been starting every game (except derbys, for obvious reasons) with a real life eagle that’s released from the roof of the stadio Olimpico and flys around circling as it gradually descends to land on a stand on the pitch. @spudski @tin you may have seen this when you’ve been? 
It’s accompanied by the whole stadium singing the Lazio anthem - a really stirring start to the game. I took a much better video that this on Sunday ?? but wrong format to upload on here so here’s another version!

• Like 1

I follow Hellas Verona, have been to about half a dozen of their games over the years, including one at the San Siro where George Weah scored that amazing solo box to box goal, as well as the wettest match ever in Genoa with @Olé and friends. 

More of a Bundesliga watcher these days, find Serie A a bit too slow 

Edited by redrum
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And more recently Lazio have been starting every game (except derbys, for obvious reasons) with a real life eagle that’s released from the roof of the stadio Olimpico and flys around circling as it gradually descends to land on a stand on the pitch. @spudski @tin you may have seen this when you’ve been? 
It’s accompanied by the whole stadium singing the Lazio anthem - a really stirring start to the game. I took a much better video that this on Sunday ?? but wrong format to upload on here so here’s another version!

Yes I've seen it... spectacular.

I'm guessing they've got a new bird handler after the last one from Spain made a cock of himself? 

They do the same at Benfica. 

Don't think it'll have the same affect if we release a Robin whilst singing drink up thy Zider...???

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, italian dave said:

I am sure that, as you suggest, there is an obvious reason, but it has completely baffled me.

Why not in derbies?

On 12/09/2022 at 07:51, spudski said:

Good times.

Some very fond memories.

In the 90s, myself and my mate Martin and our respective other halves jointly purchased an apartment in a village overlooking Lake Transimeno and we took it in turns to holiday there, letting it out to friends when it was unused.

During this time, I started making occasional visits to watch AC Perugia, then on the verge of and shortly to be promoted to Serie A. Despite having a totally mad owner, it was always a great day out. I'd pop along with Gennaro, the owner of the bar below the apartment, and he'd always know great places to eat and drink in the city, which was part of the attraction. Lazio was one of our most hated sides: Rome was not too distant, and the Lazio region borders Umbria, where Perugia is located. There were a number of Lazio bars in the city, and you had to avoid them, and their supporters steered clear of the Grifoni (Perugia)ones. We also weren't fond of the Bologna w-----s. not sure why, Fiorentina was the nearer club. Some Italian thing, doubtless. 

Sadly within 5 years, we had to abandon the agreement, Mart's job made it difficult to spend us much time in Italy as he wanted, and myself and Mrs R were always on the verge of splitting up, so we didn't want to take on the flat just by ourselves. We sold up, thus never had the chance to see Colonel Gaddafi's son and, er, Jay Bothroyd, turning out for Perugia.  Dreadful owners and utter incompetence allowed the club to go bust about 2010 and now a phoenix club plays in Serie B.

Haven't been to Italy for about 15 years. ? That's something I'll have to put right soon. It's just my favourite place.

• Like 3