IGNORED

Norwich City away match thread

Last three away games, 8-8 I think.

Not dull I guess. Last season we lost at Fulham 5-2 trying to play this way. Today 3-2. Getting closer. Difficult not to be bloody irritated about some of the football we play alongside our tendency to shot ourselves in the head.

So close to being a bloody good side. No lack of effort today. Minor gripes, Williams just got everything wrong bless him, and short corner in the last minute with 63 forwards on?

Well done NP and the side, but still kinda annoyed with result.

1 minute ago, Jeez said:

The mistakes are so frustrating but on the ball he’s making a difference  - last season we so often lacked the carrier to bring the ball out of defence or find the next pass.

And Zak Vyner - a really impressive performance, he seems to be developing really well this season 

And I’m not saying drop him, I’m saying move him to outside centre half. 

I really want to be happy with the performance but can’t help but be frustrated. Attack does it’s job, 2 goals on the road, but our defensive Achilles heel is just so painful.

2 simple passes opening up a back 5 (I know the wing backs play high but they HAVE to be ready to defend), and another corner which we just can’t cope with. They should’ve scored with their other one too. I’ve a horrible feeling come May we’ll know, this could’ve been the year. But the defence made it not so.

Ahh. Onwards. Need to exorcise the pain with a big win at Burnley. 

4 minutes ago, harrys said:

Just woke up after being on the beer in a Dubrovnik for the past 12 hours, so proud that we’ve competed away from home against one of the top teams for once, **** the result, Coyr 

Great game, but please please do not watch the goals we conceded. You will be straight back on the beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Odd game, but I feel OK with the loss. 

I don’t, and I’m not being negative just for the sake of it, but I find it even more frustrating when I see us play so we’ll for long stretches of the game, only to be undermined by schoolboy errors in defence; very poor play from Williams; and some strange decisions in the last 15 minutes when we might have snatched an equaliser.  Pearson really needs to sort the defending out, particularly as a former defender himself.  Most successful teams are built on a solid defence that concedes few goals.  We have to stop donating goals to the opposition.

7 minutes ago, James54De said:

Swap Rob and Kal. Small adjustments in starting angles but should give Naismith a little more room for error. 

I think that'd be more than just a small adjustment though - it'd change how we play and Atkinson wouldn't be able to get forward in the ways he currently does, including for one of our goals tonight.

Naismith where he is is key in how we build from the back, I think we should stick with it personally.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

To blame Naismith for both is a bit harsh IMO. Yes the 1st was largely his mistake, the 2nd yes the pass was poor but were we positioned well for it? Not sure we were.

The problem was your CB coming into midfield then giving it away nobody had time to cover the space he left.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Let’s not get too carried away - Norwich could not cope in the PL last year and this side would arguably struggle this year.

City played well but the opposition are not PL quality.

That’s as may be but you cannot argue that they are one of the favourites for promotion and therefore one of the best sides we will play . We gave them a real scare. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, City1970 said:

Naismith is not the only liability at the back.

I agree, going forward we look good.

Sadly Naismith is making errors in pretty much every game. Unfortunately it cost us tonight.

I agree Vyner isn't a long term solution but i think his performances have improved recently.

We are looking to play on the front foot all the time and it will lead to goals being conceded, especially against the better teams

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Naismith is key to how we open up the other side. I’d prefer us to play like this then the crap we’ve had to watch previous seasons. Every game is exciting this season and we’re scoring goals for fun. Positive signs 

Ahhhhhhhhh

So nice to see somebody who gets it ????

so many examples , but for one ball sent forward , Naismith and Norwich forward in 50/50 challenge 

Naismith realises Norwich forward can’t win header, doesn’t head it anywhere  -  waits for ball to drop to his chest , angles his chest to make a pass to teammate and gets us going forward again 

Numerous similar examples yet no one comments 

• Like 8
  • Flames 1
6 minutes ago, Jeez said:

The mistakes are so frustrating but on the ball he’s making a difference  - last season we so often lacked the carrier to bring the ball out of defence or find the next pass.

And Zak Vyner - a really impressive performance, he seems to be developing really well this season 

Look att Vyner at the 3-1 goal, he is to soft! 

6 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

Daylight robbery is a quote on the Norwich forum.

Frustrating with mistakes, but we are looking more and more like prime Brazil going forward.

Watching this it reminded me a bit of the away game that finished 2-2 at Brentford a few years back (the one with Reid scoring in the last minute) - Brentford played us off the park that night and we could not get close

It was maybe not quite as dominant, but tonight we played very well. As mostly everyone has said gift wrapping them 2 (arguably 3) soft goals killed us.

If (and it seems to be a big if at the moment) we can tighten up at the back, and do that without hugely sacrificng our forward play we could be in for a great season. The quality of football is sooooo much better than the turgid dross we have been served up for the last 2-3 seasons we might as well be playing a different sport.

Other positive thoughts:

We are away from home and the board goes up for 6 mins injury time - boo'd by home fans - if they are comfortable in what they are seeing from their team they probably dont care, and dont make any noise.

We will play worse and win this seasoin I am sure of it

image.png.17acbf23785a2820105aa157beab3ba6.png

• Like 3

Frustrating but overall the performance was good. Naismith made two individual errors in the first which was to cost us, and we conceded another set piece goal from a corner. However we matched Norwich all over the pitch and at times outplayed them, especially down the flanks where Sykes and Jay posed threats all night. Conway's headed goal from what seemed like the millionth cross was always coming and Semenyo's opportunist strike brought us back into a game we probably deserved to get something from. So as I said at the beginning I'm left a little frustrated but I can't be too critical of a performance that was another clear sign that progress is being made. 

• Like 3

Am I gutted at tonights defeat?

No, just very disappointed but also very proud that our side made Norwich look very ordinary. I don't expect us to be promoted because I see this as a season to consolidate our place as an upper table Champioship side. Mistakes lose us games but the fact that we created enough chances to have won this match is a big bonus.

Well done City.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Last three away games, 8-8 I think.

Not dull I guess. Last season we lost at Fulham 5-2 trying to play this way. Today 3-2. Getting closer. Difficult not to be bloody irritated about some of the football we play alongside our tendency to shot ourselves in the head.

So close to being a bloody good side. No lack of effort today. Minor gripes, Williams just got everything wrong bless him, and short corner in the last minute with 63 forwards on?

Well done NP and the side, but still kinda annoyed with result.

That late corner was infuriating. Bentley had just got the nod from Pearson to go forward for it and was just across the half way line when we decided to take it short instead (and it came to nothing). 

In general our set pieces were poor tonight. Think almost every corner or free kick we had was cleared or blocked by a yellow shirt. Contrast that with Norwich’s third goal - easy header from a corner we could have prevented (think it was Naismith who played their runner onside by being 3-4 yards behind the rest of the defence when Norwich were counter attacking). 

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Ahhhhhhhhh

so many examples , but for one ball sent forward , Naismith and Norwich forward in 50/50 challenge 

Naismith realises Norwich forward can’t win header, doesn’t head it anywhere  -  waits for ball to drop to his chest , angles his chest to make a pass to teammate and gets us going forward again 

This, I said earlier in the thread that he more than makes up for his mistakes during the game, tonight his were ruthlessly punished by a proper finisher. He does make us more dynamic in our overall play

Solid performance tonight, not much can be done about individual errors, except dropping him (which I wouldn’t)

Exciting times ahead and maybe a play off push if we can cut out some of the mistakes at the back.

Great to watch after a few shite seasons mind.

Edited by glynriley
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

That’s entertainment. 
Shame we came away empty handed but Norwich will know that they got lucky tonight. That was a real test for both teams and I think City may have dealt a psychological blow to the Canaries, other sides will note that they were dodgy at the back. 
Our future is very bright and Nige knows that we need to improve. He will not standstill.

Well done to all and the excellent City fans who did us proud. 
Burnley will not be overconfident on Saturday. 

Well said Major.

We played some really neat football and had Norwich on the back foot for most of the game.

Not really possible to be happy in defeat, but certainly not in the doldrums. That was a decent effort. 

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Ahhhhhhhhh

Oh come on .yes he is a plus with his passing but you really think his passing gets him out of blame for as it stands approx 5 or more points seriously. 

4 minutes ago, cityal said:

Watching this it reminded me a bit of the away game that finished 2-2 at Brentford a few years back (the one with Reid scoring in the last minute) - Brentford played us off the park that night and we could not get close

It was maybe not quite as dominant, but tonight we played very well. As mostly everyone has said gift wrapping them 2 (arguably 3) soft goals killed us.

If (and it seems to be a big if at the moment) we can tighten up at the back, and do that without hugely sacrificng our forward play we could be in for a great season. The quality of football is sooooo much better than the turgid dross we have been served up for the last 2-3 seasons we might as well be playing a different sport.

Other positive thoughts:

We are away from home and the board goes up for 6 mins injury time - boo'd by home fans - if they are comfortable in what they are seeing from their team they probably dont care, and dont make any noise.

We will play worse and win this seasoin I am sure of it

image.png.17acbf23785a2820105aa157beab3ba6.png

Norwich stats overinflated by a few break aways at the end.

They were never in the game imo

• Like 1