IGNORED

Norwich City away match thread

22 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I don’t, and I’m not being negative just for the sake of it, but I find it even more frustrating when I see us play so we’ll for long stretches of the game, only to be undermined by schoolboy errors in defence; very poor play from Williams; and some strange decisions in the last 15 minutes when we might have snatched an equaliser.  Pearson really needs to sort the defending out, particularly as a former defender himself.  Most successful teams are built on a solid defence that concedes few goals.  We have to stop donating goals to the opposition.

I agree with you, but if this were last season I'd be gutted as that would have been 3-1 maybe 3-0 just having Conway and Antoine in such great form takes the sting out. 

1 minute ago, Redtucks said:

Unfortunately it was them!!!

Although I thought we deserved a draw.

Bar the opening 25 minutes in the first half, I thought we were very good tonight. 

This team seems to have a bit of everything. Of course it's a shame to lose the game tonight, but we showed what we can do as a team.

As I mentioned on a separate post, if we can stop the individual errors, we will be in the mix this season. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Easy sat on our settees of course 

Nigel praising the positive intent of players

As he says risk and rewards

Yeah I know, frustrated that’s all . You can always look at goals given away & even worse ref mistakes. I know it’s not as black & white as this but without the  Unforced errors from us & we’re sitting top 2 . Going to be a exciting season 

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I've calmed down a bit about Naismith. Most of us can see his benefits but if these gifts were done by some others, they would have been hung, drawn and sliced into little bits by many supporters.

I still believe that we need a dominant, team leader as our central in a back three with Naismith just in front to not only guard the back three but to initiate our moves forward.

.......as they would have been if his name was Zak Vyner.

:innocent06:

I get the criticism, but we’re still growing. We’re nearer the start than the end of our journey. 

From where we were, hardly being able to put a single 5 yard backward pass to dominating a game away to an ex-Premier League side is impressive. Even more so when the wage bill has been massively reduced and players brought in on ‘frees’. 

Hats off to the management team and coaches, I said it was time to start to deliver a few weeks back. I think they are now and, at last, there’s a shaft of light at the end of this very long tunnel. 

• Like 7
1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I think, because of how we play and how Nige wants us to play, an error with a pass can be forgiven. The long through ball is very poor though.
Vyner was a bit weak, you want Atkinson bullying Sergeant  there, that's not Vyner sadly . Thought Vyner had a decent game again and it is a little picky to blame him, but when you look at it he can do better. 

Great performance from everyone, to dominate them with how they play and the run they're on is impressive. Just need to be stronger at the back. 

It's a bit like watching Leeds Utd first season under Bielsa.

Entertaining to watch...you know you will score, but also concede. How many either way is a lottery.

It's not the way we play that causes us to concede... Just individual errors of judgement. Naismith will learn when to make a pass and when not too. Vyner has improved, however his biggest weakness is switching off at set pieces and not being strong physically against his opponent. Too symbolic, not aggressive enough.

Other than that...we look fantastic. The players obviously believe in it, didn't let their heads drop and know they can score and now dominate teams.

Would rather watch this style of football and be entertained every week.

Just cut out individual mistakes and we could cause mischief.

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

• Like 13
  • Flames 1
4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s funny how fans can forget that defending is part of the game when describing a performance. You cannot call that performance excellent when you look at the goals we conceded 

I understand what you’re saying but I don’t agree.

I think when we talk about the “performance”, we’re generally referring to the collective display from the team - the setup, the tactics, the effort, the intent, the style of play, the entertainment value.

I think the team can get all of the above broadly right - and therefore be considered to have put in a positive performance - but still be undone by individual errors that can’t be attributed to collective failings or poor management. And I think that’s what happened tonight.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

Both at 2-0 and 3-1 I thought we would be truly down and out, as we usually are in these games. But both times we clawed one back and then looked to be in the ascendancy. That in itself is a MASSIVE change and makes me feel so positive about this team for this season. It will give belief to the players too surely.

On Naismith, I obviously hope he can find a bit more of a balance of risk/reward (or even simply concentration levels) but some of the posters on here seem to think you just flick the "stop making mistakes" switch or something. If he was playing at his peak every game, and managed to cut out every mistake from his game, then he wouldn't be playing in the championship!!

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s funny how fans can forget that defending is part of the game when describing a performance. You cannot call that performance excellent when you look at the goals we conceded 

The corner I will give you - that was bad defending. The other 2 goals conceded were individual errors and that's more down to mentality than anything else. 

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Yeah I know, frustrated that’s all . You can always look at goals given away & even worse ref mistakes. I know it’s not as black & white as this but without the  Unforced errors from us & we’re sitting top 2 . Going to be a exciting season 

You get the game enough to know it’s easier to cut out errors Stevie than creating real attacking intent and threat in a side ??

Enjoying watching this side as any I’ve seen at this level 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Jeez said:

From how one dimensional we have been past few seasons…..yes

Ok agree we are better with him but not as last line of defence. We can't just accept his errors cos we are better now than last few years you cant just allow his cost in points to offset our whole team performance, he is turning a great performance into a defeat.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Were you not criticising the Test side for their positive approach in a similar way ?

Im not sure why you watch sport , but First and foremost , like to be entertained , and enjoy it

Deapite the score line I really enjoyed that , and it was , overall an excellent performance

• Like 5

Nice thread just started on Norwich forum - sums it up well:

Credit to Bristol City

By Pugin,  2 minutes ago in Main Discussion - Norwich City 

Pugin     492

Totally fearless. Lovely to see a side come and set up to attack and take risks.

As for the number 7, Alex Scott, so much came through him. Only 19 years old, I can think of 3 or 4 of our squad players that they could have in bulk for him alone. No chance, I suspect.

16 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

You get the game enough to know it’s easier to cut out errors Stevie than creating real attacking intent and threat in a side ??

Enjoying watching this side as any I’ve seen at this level 

Agree on this. Easier to destroy or stifle maybe a better word than to create.

That's not to say the former is necessarily easy itself, especially at a high level- some of those sides are extremely well drilled plus abikity to pass quickly when they get possession and an attacking threat when possible but the patterns, combinations- the risk vs reward trade off which is exactly what Naismith's role entails- it's  very difficult! Mistakes will be made and the 1st goal the most disappointing for me.

Think he got a bit of unfair flak for Blackpool's equaliser too as there were other in that phase of play who should have done better IMO. Not to absolve but he wasnt solely to blame there I thought.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
11 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

.......as they would have been if his name was Zak Vyner.

:innocent06:

Vyner offers nowhere near as much as Naismith though, that’s the only reason Kal is getting off lightly from some.

4/5 times he calmly brought a ball down, or otherwise kept possesion that others would have smacked into the crowd or worse and Norwich were straight back on the back foot.

He’s so good but also far too mistake prone at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Were you not criticising the Test side for their positive approach in a similar way ?

Im not sure why you watch sport , but First and foremost , like to be entertained , and enjoy it

Deapite the score line I really enjoyed that , and it was , overall an excellent performance

I watch sport to be entertained and I really enjoyed tonight’s game. I’ve not said I didn’t enjoy it. 

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

What does Nigel Pearson know 

Maybe ............Nigel thinks playing him there is fundamental to our set up and how we want to play

Let’s move Naismith to screen in front… oh hang on, now the wing backs need to be full backs… we don’t want that so let’s make Naismith 1 of 2 centre mids… oh hang on, now his passing angles are completely different and he’s spending his time looking backward as much as forward… his first mistake is a bad one, but every CB on our books will have made that type of mistake, the second one is more Naismith specific, but so are all the positives. Naismith sans errors is Baresi/Hansen playing very well (or something like that) and I never spotted either at the Gate. Replying to you, frustrated with some others! 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I can’t disagree , especially the first , I think he wanted to bring it down , nip it past the attacker

Second one , I’m less critical , he makes so many of those passes to get us forward and threatening 

Hes a left winger , converted to midfielder , converted to a centre back , a footballer

Nsismith may be nominally played as a central back but he’s clearly not a defender and doesn’t think like a defender (yet?) which is why he keeps giving away these sloppy goals. Either he has to move out to the left and Atkinson come central or we need to work out another way to cover behind him so that he’s not the last man.

Someone earlier suggested that we were playing like Brazil. That always feels like an exaggeration but there are similarities with the 1982 Brazil - brilliant going forward from all over the pitch but not great at the back, always liable to concede goals and ultimately won nothing. Football fans still love Zico, Socrates, Eder, Falcao, Junior but the game they are most remembered for is the one they lost to Italy. Brilliant players, wonderful team but still losers.

It may sound harsh but it would be such a waste if a City team playing this well going forward doesn’t achieve anything tangible this season, which is the risk if we don’t cut out the mistakes at the back.

• Like 1