IGNORED

Norwich City away match thread

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Disagree.

it’s not about knowing when to “boot it”. If he’d got his touch right for the first one (as he did several times after) it would have looked world class. He’s capable of it so it’s not out of his wheel house to try it.

His ability and composure (meaning we don’t just “boot it” like we used to) is what develops our play and puts us on the front foot.

What he needs to do is work on his concentration and make sure he actually gets the ball and doesn’t miss it! 

Agree to disagree.

Hey, I could be wrong, I only saw it once but I saw a bloke taking a chance when he was basically the last man.

Result, Norwich 1-0 when  they shouldn't be.

And not for the first time this season either.

So, not for me. Agree to disagree.

Edited by AppyDAZE
19 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I’ll repeat , some of the best , if not the best football 8ve seen us play at this level yet people fixated on defensive errors 

The simple solution is keep all the football and attacking intent and don’t make errors

Or we could go back to the utter s**** of the last few years , or most the ‘football’ we’ve played at this level for the last 4/5 decades 

Iknew this would happen , we’ve made such an improvement that now people are changing the goalposts , losing the plot over ‘dropped points’  damaging our chance of promotion or top 6 apparently

My suggestion is to enjoy the most entertaining and excellent football , we’ve played at this level in many a year , Or decade , whilst fielding 3 of the best players we’ve produced in 50/60 years 

100% agree, and no one will be hurting more than Kal tight now, bring on the Burnley game. And here’s another positive, how about Brian Tinnions pre match comments where in his opinion he considers Tommy Conway and Sam Bell to be at the same level! Just think about that for the future.. Giddyup!

8 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Disagree.

it’s not about knowing when to “boot it”. If he’d got his touch right for the first one (as he did several times after) it would have looked world class. He’s capable of it so it’s not out of his wheel house to try it.

His ability and composure (meaning we don’t just “boot it” like we used to) is what develops our play and puts us on the front foot.

What he needs to do is work on his concentration and make sure he actually gets the ball and doesn’t miss it! 

Spot on

or we could just tell him ,

bring it down and play.......unless you’re going to make a mistake 

Interesting comments from a positive Pearson.

One thing I really, really hope we’ve learnt from tonight is not to play a short corner in the 95th minute of a match you’re losing by a single goal, having brought Martin on and both central defenders in the box, plus the man you’re passing short to being marked.

That was the most ****** ridiculous, idiotic, brainless piece of football I’ve seen all Season. If you haven’t the balls to take responsibility to cross it into the box at moments like that, then give up the responsibility of taking corners. 

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

One thing I really, really hope we’ve learnt from tonight is not to play a short corner in the 95th minute of a match you’re losing by a single goal, having brought Martin on and both central defenders in the box, plus the man you’re passing short to being marked.

That was the most ****** ridiculous, idiotic, brainless piece of football I’ve seen all Season. If you haven’t the balls to take responsibility to cross it into the box at moments like that, then give up the responsibility of taking corners. 

I take it , the bit in bold is your comment , not his ! ?

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Agree to disagree.

Hey, I could be wrong, I only saw it once but I saw a bloke taking a chance when he was basically the last man.

And not for the forst time this season.

I agree with you on this particular goal. Best case scenario is he brings it down with a defender on him where he can lose it too. It is an awkward one but just nod it away for a throw or something. His mistake against Sunderland is one I can live with. First tonight was just too much risk for basically no reward on the one time seeing it.

Again learning as first time in the role but 10 games in now needs to cut the mistakes out quite a bit now or going to cost us a good chance of playoffs. It is so open this year and it has all come together for us with keeping Scott Semenyo and Weimann and getting Conway to perform as he has. No problem finishing 12th with giving everything we have. But if we finish 12th with 7-8 games where mistakes have killed us then we’ll look back with some regret considering a large chunk of this squad could be gone next season. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Spike said:

It's no woosh, he doesn't keep the line at all, it causes the back three disruptions. I'm not talking about stand out glaring errors, it's how he positions off of the play and how it affects others. Naismith was 100% playing a stupid pass but he played that pass because we're not giving more than one option, the reason I pulled Vyner up is because he was way away from Pukki but not playing to his line so the second Naismith messed up the pass Pukki was in a massive pocket of open space but onside and Vyner was so much deeper that he couldn't step up to play him offside. 

This is what I don't understand, when we make a mistake in defence everyone looks for the obvious bad pass but are oblivious to the rest of the teams positioning. I attached an image and you can see Naismith has no simple option, if he passes forward there is a Norwich midfielder in-between our options and you have their player sprinting to close down Naismith, he can't turn around because Pukki could then pressure, he has no easy option other than to lump it, however he's being chased down so he plays it quickly and fails. 
It's easy to blame Naismith because with hindsight he should have pumped it forward but Naismith hates to waste possession and is used to players running into space where he can make the pass so we need players to offer. The issue in this case was that once Naismith made that mistake Zac wasn't paying attention to the threat, he was watching the play which is why Vyner is not a natural centre back and I stand by that. I also think it's why Pearson wants a right sided centre back because had Vyner been watching the threat (Pukki) he would have stepped up high to play him offside, instead he was just walking and ball watching and due to that he played Pukki onside.

With a player like Pukki you find out if your centre backs are top tier championship centre backs, Pukki knew he was getting that ball before Vyner even saw the danger, that's a sign that he cannot handle top quality strikers.

So to answer you, no woosh, a clear case of looking at the whole pitch, not just the player on the ball.

example.png

@TommyD68- rather than me having to write this all out again to you as well

Spike - I think it’s an interesting observation, and I get where you are coming from.  A few games ago we moaned at Naismith having a pass to Atkinson intercepted by Holmes (Huddersfield) who ran through to get a shot saved by Bents.  There has to be a question about whether Atkinson (then) and Vyner (tonight) can alter their positioning to compensate for Naismith.

I think it is too easy to lay all the blame at Naismith, although I get why.

I also think Atkinson has been excellent too.

Overall, we defended really well as a team tonight, Norwich didn’t create much really (not of their own doing).  I don’t really recall them having a spell where they knocked it around and we chased shadows…which is often the case when we play the better teams.  We usually end knackering ourselves out and having no threat when we get the ball.

Naismith is therefore important to the way we are playing.  Tonight, for me, was about seeing if our “system” stands up against the better sides.  I think the answer is a categoric “yes”…and that is some progress, continuing from the last month or so of last season.

Although we can see if that is the case again on Saturday.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Spike - I think it’s an interesting observation, and I get where you are coming from.  A few games ago we moaned at Naismith having a pass to Atkinson intercepted by Holmes (Huddersfield) who ran through to get a shot saved by Bents.  There has to be a question about whether Atkinson (then) and Vyner (tonight) can alter their positioning to compensate for Naismith.

I think it is too easy to lay all the blame at Naismith, although I get why.

I also think Atkinson has been excellent too.

Overall, we defended really well as a team tonight, Norwich didn’t create much really (not of their own doing).  I don’t really recall them having a spell where they knocked it around and we chased shadows…which is often the case when we play the better teams.  We usually end knackering ourselves out and having no threat when we get the ball.

Naismith is therefore important to the way we are playing.  Tonight, for me, was about seeing if our “system” stands up against the better sides.  I think the answer is a categoric “yes”…and that is some progress, continuing from the last month or so of last season.

Although we can see if that is the case again on Saturday.

Agreed Dave.

Watched it back several times now, the clip IamNick posted and yeah a bad ball by Naismith but were we positioned too high in that phase of play? Possibly.

Can't fully explain it but it looked too easy- collectively I mean, and to apportion 100% of blame to Naismith for that one, the 2nd goal I mean feels a tad unfair.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I have watched City play all manner of dogshit over the last too many years but to see them today put Norwich on the back foot for so long was an absolute joy. Yes, we lost but we certainly weren’t beaten. I doubt that in recent years, there have been many Championship matches in which the Norwich  home crowd has been so nervously awaiting the final whistle. 

City were very impressive. The match stats were all in our favour - apart from the all important final score. Yes, we made some dumbass errors: two from Naismith which gifted them their first two goals then one from James, needlessly giving away possession in midfield, leading to us conceding the poorly defended corner from which Norwich scored. Would I want us to change our lineup or organisation to alter things? No way. Do I want us to cut out the avoidable errors? Of course. But let’s not throw out the baby with the bathwater here. The reason that we’re so watchable and exciting right now is because of the flawed players who are prone to making the, slightly too frequent dumbass errors. Overall I prefer the positive, exciting benefits rather than having to tolerate the alternative mundanity and struggle. 

if you had told me a few months ago that Zak Vyner would, this season be a cornerstone of our defence, I would have laughed inanely and trembled nervously in equal proportion. Tonight the guy played out of his skin. Could he have better defended the corner leading to their third goal? Undoubtedly. But is he a revelation? Certainly. Atkinson, Dasilva, Scott, Sykes, Semenyo, Conway all young men, all outstanding. What a very good time to be a City fan. Enjoy them while they’re here. 

In truth, reaching the playoffs this season may prove a step too far - but it’s extremely creditable just how far Nige has brought us without a sizeable war chest. I’m really enjoying watching my team develop. So should we all. COYR. 

I agree by and large. My personal opinion is City are more than capable challengers to the top six and yes top two. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Ahhhhhhhhh

So nice to see somebody who gets it ????

so many examples , but for one ball sent forward , Naismith and Norwich forward in 50/50 challenge 

Naismith realises Norwich forward can’t win header, doesn’t head it anywhere  -  waits for ball to drop to his chest , angles his chest to make a pass to teammate and gets us going forward again 

Numerous similar examples yet no one comments 

You’re right of course, and this was the debate that was had on here a couple of weeks ago at some length, so I don’t think it’s fair to say no-one gets it.
It’s about cost/benefit. And two weeks ago the overwhelming view was that Naismith was still in credit overall, more benefits than costs.

It’s just that after last night the balance has tilted a bit towards the ‘cost’ side - and you can’t go on forever arguing that the benefits of setting up forward moves or chances outweigh the costs of giving away two very very cheap goals. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, italian dave said:

You’re right of course, and this was the debate that was had on here a couple of weeks ago at some length, so I don’t think it’s fair to say no-one gets it.
It’s about cost/benefit. And two weeks ago the overwhelming view was that Naismith was still in credit overall, more benefits than costs.

It’s just that after last night the balance has tilted a bit towards the ‘cost’ side - and you can’t go on forever arguing that the benefits of setting up forward moves or chances outweigh the costs of giving away two very very cheap goals. 

I didn’t say ‘ no one gets it’ Dave so please don’t misquote , I was endorsing someone’s post who IMO does

But many don’t , or ignore , or don’t see , the numerous contributions he makes during a game and how he has a major impact on our positive football

Of course there is a balance , and Nigel Pearson will be the one who judges whether that’s positive or negative

12 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I think that'd be more than just a small adjustment though - it'd change how we play and Atkinson wouldn't be able to get forward in the ways he currently does, including for one of our goals tonight.

Naismith where he is is key in how we build from the back, I think we should stick with it personally.

Yep, he needs to get on the ball for us to play how we do.

On @Spike’s post maybe Vyner or Atkinson need to tweak their own positioning a bit too.

passing map:

5C3A7862-48F6-4B44-978A-A6B6CF9CE0B9.jpeg.704bc16ca47752d7927bf2f3eba8a1b7.jpeg

passing network:

0FAA06DF-0C03-4F26-8831-3F5E9B1CB702.thumb.jpeg.a85aa53c04b32763eda77edcfe4a0ff4.jpeg

in the above you see who he makes passes to and who he receives passes from.  Of course there is the obvious passing between Vyner and Atkinson, but those are really good passes into midfield, especially Weimann, as he will typically play higher than James / Scott.  Naismith allows us to play through our midfield.

He also makes himself available for passes too.

55BD460C-89C4-4CF8-B40C-D19BA9D499B9.jpeg.b0e3985f08051d2a27d0d59f18267c8f.jpeg
if you play him LCB, you lose half of his passing!  You also negate Atkinson, and he’s quietly becoming a top player!

Would I like him to cut out the errors?  Yep, but I do think some of it goes hand in hand with the way we play.  Last night I saw the first as a defensive error, the second as an attacking error.  That’s being a bit “selective” I know….but it happened 70 yards from our goal!

11 hours ago, Super said:

The problem was your CB coming into midfield then giving it away nobody had time to cover the space he left.

That can be remedied.  Perhaps only one CB splits at a time?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, he needs to get on the ball for us to play how we do.

On @Spike’s post maybe Vyner or Atkinson need to tweak their own positioning a bit too.

passing map:

5C3A7862-48F6-4B44-978A-A6B6CF9CE0B9.jpeg.704bc16ca47752d7927bf2f3eba8a1b7.jpeg

passing network:

0FAA06DF-0C03-4F26-8831-3F5E9B1CB702.thumb.jpeg.a85aa53c04b32763eda77edcfe4a0ff4.jpeg

in the above you see who he makes passes to and who he receives passes from.  Of course there is the obvious passing between Vyner and Atkinson, but those are really good passes into midfield, especially Weimann, as he will typically play higher than James / Scott.  Naismith allows us to play through our midfield.

He also makes himself available for passes too.

55BD460C-89C4-4CF8-B40C-D19BA9D499B9.jpeg.b0e3985f08051d2a27d0d59f18267c8f.jpeg
if you play him LCB, you lose half of his passing!  You also negate Atkinson, and he’s quietly becoming a top player!

Would I like him to cut out the errors?  Yep, but I do think some of it goes hand in hand with the way we play.  Last night I saw the first as a defensive error, the second as an attacking error.  That’s being a bit “selective” I know….but it happened 70 yards from our goal!

That can be remedied.  Perhaps only one CB splits at a time?

Cheers for posting those Dave , interesting

And for taking the time to explain your thoughts / interpretations , I think they are very relevant 

11 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Can't believe we came away from this one without a point.  But for 2 gifted goals and yet another penalty not given in the 1st half it could have been a different story.

Can't believe they kept giving Mark Sykes so much room on the right.

We really need to get a grip of these Naismith errors though as it is costing us matches.  He's such a good player but needs to learn when he needs to play safe.

If we can keep this up all season, we have to be looking at a top 6 finish, surely.

Ditto on the left too with Dasilva.

If I was Aarons or Byram (or the two CMs), I’d have sparked out Sargent and Cantwell.  They were awful without the ball, Cantwell did little with it too.  Their attitude stank.  Can see why Norwich loaned out Cantwell and then why Bournemouth didn’t want him.

11 hours ago, red colin said:

I am not alone in seeing this,he is not a centre half.

Firstly, he’s not a Centre-Half in old-money, he’s a “sweeper” if you like, a deep ball player.

11 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Let’s move Naismith to screen in front… oh hang on, now the wing backs need to be full backs… we don’t want that so let’s make Naismith 1 of 2 centre mids… oh hang on, now his passing angles are completely different and he’s spending his time looking backward as much as forward… his first mistake is a bad one, but every CB on our books will have made that type of mistake, the second one is more Naismith specific, but so are all the positives. Naismith sans errors is Baresi/Hansen playing very well (or something like that) and I never spotted either at the Gate. Replying to you, frustrated with some others! 

Yep, and to add to all those things, who is gonna pass him the ball in the first place?

11 hours ago, chinapig said:

Agreed, I remain astonished how Nigel has transformed us into a terrific attacking side, as good as any City team I can remember at this level. Remember under Holden when we would ironically cheer if we had a shot of any kind?

But at the same time we can't simply ignore the repeated individual errors. They have been going on for a long time regardless of personnel but we seem to be just hoping they will somehow just go away. Nigel doesn't seem to be particularly concerned though so maybe it will fix itself somehow.

I get the impression Nige (who most of us thought would try to make us solid first) has looked at the situation / personnel and sees attack as being our best form of defence…and that’s how we are gonna play for the moment.

• Like 2

Am i being unnecessarily  harsh?  I felt Bentley didn't cover himself in glory for all 3 goals, i am fully aware that others mistakes contributed to the situations arising, but especially for the 2nd he was very indecisive. I am probably nitpicking, but i just felt he didn't have the best of games?  PS. Unrelated, but if only young Tommy had looked up and spotted Andi in space in the 1st minute.........it would have been a different game? But i can forgive him anything, considering what he has already achieved so far this season!  Ha!!

Edited by maxjak
8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I get the impression Nige (who most of us thought would try to make us solid first) has looked at the situation / personnel and sees attack as being our best form of defence…and that’s how we are gonna play for the moment.

Agreed, Nigel has got it right. And quite how you eliminate the constant individual errors that have plagued us for a long time I have no idea.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ditto on the left too with Dasilva.

If I was Aarons or Byram (or the two CMs), I’d have sparked out Sargent and Cantwell.  They were awful without the ball, Cantwell did little with it too.  Their attitude stank.  Can see why Norwich loaned out Cantwell and then why Bournemouth didn’t want him.

Agreed. Cantwell was very poor. I really don’t rate him and if I had to choose between him and O’Dowda in my team (thank goodness I don’t have to) I’d choose Callum every day of the week.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Agree to disagree.

And not for the first time this season either.

I understand your view, and many will agree, I just see his style of play as pivotal to how we get on the front foot rather than giving away possesion.

I agree it’s too many mistakes though, it needs to tighten up. I’ll also add, I can’t excuse the one against Blackpool. Very poor pass to Vyner and to try and do that with the outside of the foot at that stage of the game was criminal. That’s one where perhaps you could say it should have just gone long into a channel.

Second goal I’ve got a bit of sympathy watching it back, Atkinson was t really on, he could have turned and gone back to Bentley but again his passing through the lines gets us forward. If the pass had made it, we’ve got past their press - and more often than not the passing did make it.

Edited by MarcusX
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

To be pinning a parachute team back in their own half for much of the game and having them on the ropes in the way we did in injury time is remarkable considering where we’ve come from. Let’s not forget the calibre of team we played tonight or that they were forced to stifle themselves to stop us. We also showed different dimensions to our attacking play and that we are able to break sitting defences down. That gives me hope for the inevitable home games against lesser sides who will put 10 behind the ball.

This type of football won’t always tip in our favour. Most teams have a danger man but we won’t be playing 3 of the best strikers in the division in the same line up every week and that quality is what cost us tonight. We are still far better off maintaining this style of play. We can’t sit and defend leads or play for tight draws so what’s the point in setting up any other way? 

I’ve got a feeling we might be saying ‘if only we could cut out the silly errors’ all season but while we’re competitive and picking up wins it’s worth enjoying the ride, this is about as good as it gets as a Bristol City fan. There are sides to our game that are levels above anything we’ve seen for years. 

Some people see the difference tonight as Naismith’s mistakes…I could make a decent argument that the difference was T.Pukki.  This is a guy with double figures in each PL season…at the bottom club.

That second goal, I don’t think many Champ strikers score, he had an awful lot still to do…and he got a bit of luck with the deflection off Vyner…otherwise Bents saves.

But he is quality, his ability to play on the last man and stay onside is one helluva skill, that we’ve seen for 4/5 seasons.  Top class!

9 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I have watched City play all manner of dogshit over the last too many years but to see them today put Norwich on the back foot for so long was an absolute joy. Yes, we lost but we certainly weren’t beaten. I doubt that in recent years, there have been many Championship matches in which the Norwich  home crowd has been so nervously awaiting the final whistle. 

City were very impressive. The match stats were all in our favour - apart from the all important final score. Yes, we made some dumbass errors: two from Naismith which gifted them their first two goals then one from James, needlessly giving away possession in midfield, leading to us conceding the poorly defended corner from which Norwich scored. Would I want us to change our lineup or organisation to alter things? No way. Do I want us to cut out the avoidable errors? Of course. But let’s not throw out the baby with the bathwater here. The reason that we’re so watchable and exciting right now is because of the flawed players who are prone to making the, slightly too frequent dumbass errors. Overall I prefer the positive, exciting benefits rather than having to tolerate the alternative mundanity and struggle. 

if you had told me a few months ago that Zak Vyner would, this season be a cornerstone of our defence, I would have laughed inanely and trembled nervously in equal proportion. Tonight the guy played out of his skin. Could he have better defended the corner leading to their third goal? Undoubtedly. But is he a revelation? Certainly. Atkinson, Dasilva, Scott, Sykes, Semenyo, Conway all young men, all outstanding. What a very good time to be a City fan. Enjoy them while they’re here. 

In truth, reaching the playoffs this season may prove a step too far - but it’s extremely creditable just how far Nige has brought us without a sizeable war chest. I’m really enjoying watching my team develop. So should we all. COYR. 

Zak is gradually getting better and better.  Still some way to go, and I still think their third goal…why didn’t Weimann jump?

3 hours ago, Daniro said:

Was he?   He wasn't on the team sheet on Sofascore.

Yes, there was a photo with him and Hernandez.  Plus this…

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Am i being unnecessarily  harsh?  I felt Bentley didn't cover himself in glory for all 3 goals, i am fully aware that others mistakes contributed to the situations arising, but especially for the 2nd he was very indecisive. I am probably nitpicking, but i just felt he didn't have the best of games?  PS. Unrelated, but if only young Tommy had looked up and spotted Andi in space in the 1st minute.........it would have been a different game? But i can forgive him anything, considering what he has already achieved so far this season!  Ha!!

A tad harsh, first goal maybe. There was definitely hesitancy but once out of his box / on the edge what can he do? Second was a deflection off Vyner else he saves it.

He also made an outstanding 1 on 1 save later on and denied Pukki the hat trick with his face.

Not his best game but certainly not his worst. Didn’t have much else to do.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, RedRock said:

Who took the corner? I  Cannot remember?

4 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

I didn’t say ‘ no one gets it’ Dave so please don’t misquote , I was endorsing someone’s post who IMO does

But many don’t , or ignore , or don’t see , the numerous contributions he makes during a game and how he has a major impact on our positive football

Of course there is a balance , and Nigel Pearson will be the one who judges whether that’s positive or negative

You just sounded a bit exasperated with your ‘nice to see someone gets it’ ??

I certainly get exasperated - and apologies if I over-reacted - by how differently Vyner gets treated. On here, not by NP. If he’d made those two mistakes last night then he’d have been crucified and the debate wouldn’t have been about cost/benefit (and for me he has plenty of credit this season) but about whether he should ever play again! 

In a way Naismith sums up what’s so good to watch in the whole team at the moment. Can play some fantastic football, in a really positive fashion, but always likely to concede. 

Sure NP will make the call, but everyone will have their view and that’s what this place is about.