IGNORED

Norwich City away match thread

1 minute ago, DaveF said:

Easiest way to identify someone who doesn't understand football is to ask if they think moving Naismith into midfield is the solution. 

The moment Naismith is moved is the moment our performances go down hill. He needs to stay in that position as it suits how we are wanting to play. It's working so far - 7th in the League. Seen stuff flying around like we will go down if we don't improve defensively, some really reactionary bizarre things to come out with. Glad i'm not them

• Like 3

For the 2nd there’s learning for all involved, but they haven’t been playing together for long. Vyner maybe could have stepped up quicker to avoid playing Pukki onside; when Naismith steps forward both Vyner and Atkinson, as well as Scott/James need to be alert to ensuring cover, etc etc. But Naismith playing safe or in a different position are choices that will take us backwards in my view. Top scorers and equal 3rd worst defence. Of course if would be great to concede fewer, but I wouldn’t change much, just keep working hard. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

For balance - Did you notice how many times he controlled a ball during the game and put us on the front foot , instead of kicking it or heading it anywhere ?

Duh, YES. This isn't the argument. For the first, it was a silly, silly, silly thing to try and "control" that ball in that position. I like the guy, you're preaching to the converted as to him playing for me. But he and only he got that wrong. Not the manager, not his team mates, not anyone else

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, red colin said:

No not leave the defence wide open by moving forward and making a poor pass and leave a gaping hole. If klose was in behind a poor pass from midfield it would've been OK.

You still don’t get the basic concept  of the stark difference , despite people explaining , playing as a footballing centre half in a 3 against playing ‘in midfield’ do you ?

Fixated

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

HPC all week ......

Kal , we need you to get it down , and get us playing...............Oh .........except when you make an error....then you’re a ******* liability .......so only good decisions in the heat of the match .......ok 

He just needs to cut out errors, that’s relatively simple for a professional footballer. Checking stats he’s the only championship player to have made an error since 2008… I agree with your points above: when the ball comes towards him he needs to ask himself “am I about to make an error?”, if yes, smash it into the stands, if no, bring it out and play a gorgeous diagonal. Simple. 

3 minutes ago, rednotblue said:

It's not. Yes Naismith has made errors but so have all the others 

Just because the error does not lead to a goal does not mean it is not an issue

The difference for Naismith is that he is playing as the last man and so just like when the goalie makes a mistake, when he slips up a goal is much more likely. There is little more fit error. Harsh but that is the risky downside to the way he is playing. In some games it’s not costing us, but in both the Sunderland defeat and tonight’s match the results have hinged on goals that he has given away.

I think it’s important to look at the bigger picture when it comes to Naismith. Yes it’s frustrating to see him making costly errors but how much stronger have we looked since we’ve brought him in? His leadership has been a major factor in the improvement we’ve seen.

The goals conceded per game has dropped from 1.67 last season to 1.55 this season. A demonstration of progression.

I hope fellow Reds can get behind him and support him, have faith in the coaching team that they will help to reduce the errors. If he does, we have an absolute gem.

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

He just needs to cut out errors, that’s relatively simple for a professional footballer. Checking stats he’s the only championship player to have made an error since 2008… I agree with your points above: when the ball comes towards him he needs to ask himself “am I about to make an error?”, if yes, smash it into the stands, if no, bring it out and play a gorgeous diagonal. Simple. 

I’ll repeat , some of the best , if not the best football 8ve seen us play at this level yet people fixated on defensive errors 

The simple solution is keep all the football and attacking intent and don’t make errors

Or we could go back to the utter s**** of the last few years , or most the ‘football’ we’ve played at this level for the last 4/5 decades 

Iknew this would happen , we’ve made such an improvement that now people are changing the goalposts , losing the plot over ‘dropped points’  damaging our chance of promotion or top 6 apparently

My suggestion is to enjoy the most entertaining and excellent football , we’ve played at this level in many a year , Or decade , whilst fielding 3 of the best players we’ve produced in 50/60 years 

• Like 10
  • Flames 2

To be pinning a parachute team back in their own half for much of the game and having them on the ropes in the way we did in injury time is remarkable considering where we’ve come from. Let’s not forget the calibre of team we played tonight or that they were forced to stifle themselves to stop us. We also showed different dimensions to our attacking play and that we are able to break sitting defences down. That gives me hope for the inevitable home games against lesser sides who will put 10 behind the ball.

This type of football won’t always tip in our favour. Most teams have a danger man but we won’t be playing 3 of the best strikers in the division in the same line up every week and that quality is what cost us tonight. We are still far better off maintaining this style of play. We can’t sit and defend leads or play for tight draws so what’s the point in setting up any other way? 

I’ve got a feeling we might be saying ‘if only we could cut out the silly errors’ all season but while we’re competitive and picking up wins it’s worth enjoying the ride, this is about as good as it gets as a Bristol City fan. There are sides to our game that are levels above anything we’ve seen for years. 

• Like 13
5 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

To be pinning a parachute team back in their own half for much of the game and having them on the ropes in the way we did in injury time is remarkable considering where we’ve come from. Let’s not forget the calibre of team we played tonight or that they were forced to stifle themselves to stop us. We also showed different dimensions to our attacking play and that we are able to break sitting defences down. That gives me hope for the inevitable home games against lesser sides who will put 10 behind the ball.

This type of football won’t always tip in our favour. Most teams have a danger man but we won’t be playing 3 of the best strikers in the division in the same line up every week and that quality is what cost us tonight. We are still far better off maintaining this style of play. We can’t sit and defend leads or play for tight draws so what’s the point in setting up any other way? 

I’ve got a feeling we might be saying ‘if only we could cut out the silly errors’ all season but while we’re competitive and picking up wins it’s worth enjoying the ride, this is about as good as it gets as a Bristol City fan. There are sides to our game that are levels above anything we’ve seen for years. 

Good post

I also liked that not for the first time this season,

When we went 2-0 down undeservedly , and then when we got done 3-1 against the run of play , many , many , sides , especially City sides over the years , would have the stuffing knocked out of them on either occasion 

On both occasions we came back like a wounded terrier snapping and biting

Great attitude and strength of mind / belief

For me that’s so encouraging 

• Like 7
14 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Naismith has not made any mistakes. He knows that players like Scott, Conway and Semenyo are too hot property to stay at Bristol City. He is keeping us just outside playoffs until after January where he’ll turn into prime Beckenbauer for our late title push. I won’t hear anything else. Some player.

May need editing :laugh:

OK, I know what you're saying, There are lots of positives to his game. But FFS, do your basics and then to the Kaizer stuff.

Edited by AppyDAZE
40 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Naismith to play, but what is so hard about knowing when you have to just boot the ******* ball?

If in doubt, BOOT, do your stuff the OTHER times, there are plenty of them.

A most odd start to any Bristol City career I can remember.

I'm a fan overall though. I'm sure it will all come good in time.

Disagree.

it’s not about knowing when to “boot it”. If he’d got his touch right for the first one (as he did several times after) it would have looked world class. He’s capable of it so it’s not out of his wheel house to try it.

His ability and composure (meaning we don’t just “boot it” like we used to) is what develops our play and puts us on the front foot.

What he needs to do is work on his concentration and make sure he actually gets the ball and doesn’t miss it! 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1