IGNORED

Norwich City away match thread

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

To blame Naismith for both is a bit harsh IMO. Yes the 1st was largely his mistake, the 2nd yes the pass was poor but were we positioned well for it? Not sure we were.

Don’t make the pass, Mr P.  
The pass left us completely open, surely. It was simple for Norwich to get in after that. 
He was to blame for the first two goals. Definitely. But he was superb apart from that. That’s the frustrating thing. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Ahhhhhhhhh

So nice to see somebody who gets it ????

so many examples , but for one ball sent forward , Naismith and Norwich forward in 50/50 challenge 

Naismith realises Norwich forward can’t win header, doesn’t head it anywhere  -  waits for ball to drop to his chest , angles his chest to make a pass to teammate and gets us going forward again 

Numerous similar examples yet no one comments 

I agree but it’s the simple mistakes. The first goal he’s got nowhere to go  , head it out for a throw. The second he’s playing into a crowded midfield when there no cover if he gives the ball away which he did . Why is he trying to force a pass through a crowded midfield. The ball was left to Atkinson . Being too clever . He’s cost us 5 or 6 goals now. If it was one or two goals for what he gives us fine but it’s not. He got away with a couple more second half & v Huddersfield . It can’t carry on . You can be sure burnley will isolate him Saturday . 

• Hmmm 1

Playing the way we do, and in this formation, we are going to cause most teams problems - as shown tonight. The negative to this, is that we are going to get caught out a lot by the better teams by playing this way, especially when there are individual errors happening which lead to the chances/goals.

If we play like that for most of the season, and lose by the odd goal against teams who are favourites for promotion (regardless of how they do when they go up), then most supporters won't mind. They showed heart, effort, and more importantly, didn't give up at all. Compared to how we have been playing for the past 18 months to 2 years, this is a great team to watch, and I actually think if we can sustain this over the season, then we'll more a lot more games than we'll lose.

Yes we lost, yes errors by us lead to goals conceded, but I'm pretty happy with that tonight. Not many teams will come away from Carrow Road with many points this season, and I certainly didn't expect to get anything today, so for me nothing lost.

We're going in the right direction, and will only get better.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Solid performance tonight, not much can be done about individual errors, except dropping him (which I wouldn’t)

Exciting times ahead and maybe a play off push if we can cut out some of the mistakes at the back.

Great to watch after a few shite seasons mind.

There is something you can do about it. Stop making them , it’s simple mistakes, he’s not Paolo maldini  

Can't believe we came away from this one without a point.  But for 2 gifted goals and yet another penalty not given in the 1st half it could have been a different story.

Can't believe they kept giving Mark Sykes so much room on the right.

We really need to get a grip of these Naismith errors though as it is costing us matches.  He's such a good player but needs to learn when he needs to play safe.

If we can keep this up all season, we have to be looking at a top 6 finish, surely.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

I agree but it’s the simple mistakes. The first goal he’s got nowhere to go  , head it out for a throw. The second he’s playing into a crowded midfield when there no cover if he gives the ball away which he did . Why is he trying to force a pass through a crowded midfield. The ball was left to Atkinson . Being too clever . He’s cost us 5 or 6 goals now. If it was one or two goals for what he gives us fine but it’s not. He got away with a couple more second half & v Huddersfield . It can’t carry on . You can be sure burnley will isolate him Saturday . 

I can’t disagree , especially the first , I think he wanted to bring it down , nip it past the attacker

Second one , I’m less critical , he makes so many of those passes to get us forward and threatening 

Hes a left winger , converted to midfielder , converted to a centre back , a footballer

At the moment it seems a testing trade off, but for me, he’s been a major part in our improvement and performances 

• Like 6
  • Flames 2
22 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

That six wins on the spin, Norwich commentators say we gave them their biggest test so far this season. We were worth a point. A season or two back we would have lost that 6-0. On to Burnley.

Tempting fate, but Burnley were far from impressive last night.  If, and that’s an enormous if, we can cut out the defensive mistakes, we can go there and win.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Am I gutted at tonights defeat?

No, just very disappointed but also very proud that our side made Norwich look very ordinary. I don't expect us to be promoted because I see this as a season to consolidate our place as an upper table Champioship side. Mistakes lose us games but the fact that we created enough chances to have won this match is a big bonus.

Well done City.

Defeatist attitude. We got the attacking side to our game , if we want to challenge then the mistakes have to stop . Small club mentality otherwise . Let’s not forget , it’s our one chance with Semenyo & Scott . They won’t be here next season 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Can't believe we came away from this one without a point.  But for 2 gifted goals and yet another penalty not given in the 1st half it could have been a different story.

Can't believe they kept giving Mark Sykes so much room on the right.

We really need to get a grip of these Naismith errors though as it is costing us matches.  He's such a good player but needs to learn when he needs to play safe.

If we can keep this up all season, we have to be looking at a top 6 finish, surely.

1 in 3 games we have conceded 3 goals, that is a poor ratio. We must improve the defending if we have ambitions of a top 6 finish.

• Like 1

I've calmed down a bit about Naismith. Most of us can see his benefits but if these gifts were done by some others, they would have been hung, drawn and sliced into little bits by many supporters.

I still believe that we need a dominant, team leader as our central in a back three with Naismith just in front to not only guard the back three but to initiate our moves forward.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I think, because of how we play and how Nige wants us to play, an error with a pass can be forgiven. The long through ball is very poor though.
Vyner was a bit weak, you want Atkinson bullying Sergeant  there, that's not Vyner sadly . Thought Vyner had a decent game again and it is a little picky to blame him, but when you look at it he can do better. 

Great performance from everyone, to dominate them with how they play and the run they're on is impressive. Just need to be stronger at the back. 

• Like 1

Doesn’t take much of a memory to recall when 2-0 down, at Norwich, after 23 minutes, was a case of “how many?”, this time we came back and kept coming back. No genius needed to work out there are things to improve, but you need to be reasonably churlish not to be able to see the leaps forward. And folk who can’t see the connection between Naismith and our goal scoring (which includes some risk taking, shock horror) are either being disingenuous or are livid we haven’t signed Hansen/Baresi in their pomp. We’re going down more of a McCullum/Stokes approach and that won’t always work, but it’s a lot more exciting than going at 2 an over and losing every week. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2
2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I can’t disagree , especially the first , I think he wanted to bring it down , nip it past the attacker

Second one , I’m less critical , he makes so many of those passes to get us forward and threatening 

Hes a left winger , converted to midfielder , converted to a centre back , a footballer

At the moment it seems a testing trade off, but for me, he’s been a major part in our improvement and performances 

I agree but percentages that ball was never on. It wasn’t as if it would of opened Norwich up . Not as poor as the Blackpool goal or Huddersfield mistakes  but still a poor ball 

Just now, City1970 said:

1 in 3 games we have conceded 3 goals, that is a poor ratio. We must improve the defending if we have ambitions of a top 6 finish.

True. However, it’s good we’re acc giving teams a proper game now. We had spells in that game where we was all over Norwich. Last season we wouldn’t of had a sniff all game. Our record at home is decent tho. Isn’t it 3 clean sheets in a row? 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s funny how fans can forget that defending is part of the game when describing a performance. You cannot call that performance excellent when you look at the goals we conceded 

Also, I thought Norwich sat in and tried to hit us on the break, which essentially worked for them. For all our nice football and possession, we didn’t create that many chances, especially in the second half. I never thought we looked like scoring after Antoine’s goal, which came out of nothing. 

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

I've calmed down a bit about Naismith. Most of us can see his benefits but if these gifts were done by some others, they would have been hung, drawn and sliced into little bits by many supporters.

I still believe that we need a dominant, team leader as our central in a back three with Naismith just in front to not only guard the back three but to initiate our moves forward.

Yippee someone seeing like me.we need him in the side but not in the last line of defence push him up into midfield. 

2 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

A big test, but not impossible. 

The Norwich line-up is ultra attacking, which will leave gaps. 

We can get at them, especially with the quality we have in attack. 

I predict goals for both teams. 

One team could win 3-2. 

Unfortunately it was them!!!

Although I thought we deserved a draw.