IGNORED

Coventry City at home match thread

Following our worse performance this season against QPR we have the chance to bounce back at home against the Sky Blues. We dumped them out of the Carabao Cup in August:

Last season they did the double over us: https://youtu.be/TulmcfHgg5E

Head to head it’s close, we’ve won 24, lost 25 and drawn 22.

After occupying the play-off places for a large amount of the 2021–22 season, they achieved a 12th-placed finish in the Championship last season, their highest league finish in 16 years. So far this campaign they are struggling and are currently bottom on six points, although they have games in hand. They recorded their first win of the season on Saturday against Boro which followed two draws.  So, while we have no points from our last three games they’ve picked up five points.

Bristol City Championship form: D W W L L L Coventry City Championship form: L L L D D W

Here’s a brief account of their history: https://www.ccfc.co.uk/club/club-history/

Mark Robins has been in charge since 2017.  As a player, he was a striker and is best known for his time in the Premier League with Norwich City and Leicester City.

As a player he was loaned to us in February 2003. He scored on his debut in a Football League Trophy tie against Cambridge United. In his brief spell at Bristol City he scored 5 goals in 8 appearances and helped us reach the 2003 Football League Trophy Final. However, by the time of the final he was recalled by Rotherham and unable to take part. City went on to win the final in his absence.

Robins began his career with Manchester United. During this period, he scored a goal against Nottingham Forest in a 1990 FA Cup tie that has subsequently been credited with "saving" manager Alex Ferguson's job at Old Trafford. On page one of his autobiography Ferguson acknowledges the importance of that goal. https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/EPL/How-Robins-saved-Ferguson-from-the-sack-at-Man-Utd/2322238

After spending time with Norwich and Leicester, Robins went on to play for Reading, Manchester City, Walsall, Rotherham United, Bristol City and Sheffield Wednesday in the Football League. Robins also played across Europe during spells with FC Copenhagen, Ourense and Panionios before finishing his career with Burton Albion in the Conference National.

In 2007 he became manager of Rotherham United, and joined Barnsley in the same capacity in 2009, before leaving in 2011, following differences between him and the board. In 2012, he became manager of Coventry City until 2013 when he joined Huddersfield Town. Robins left Huddersfield in 2014 by mutual agreement. A few months later he became manager of Scunthorpe United before leaving in 2016.

In March 2017, Robins rejoined Coventry City and a few months later won the EFL Trophy. In the 2017–18 season Robins won the EFL League Two play-offs with the Sky Blues and they were promoted to League One. After a solid eighth placed finish in League One in the 2018–19 season, Robins led Coventry to promotion to the EFL Championship as League One Champions in the 2019–20 season. He followed that up by guiding Coventry to a respectable 16th placed finish in the Championship in the 2020–21 season, and as mentioned they further improved upon this with a 12th placed finish in the 2021–22 season.

Will KP feature? He’s regularly been on the bench since signing for them. However, the midfielder was handed a start at home last Saturday (against Boro) and he played his part with an impressive performance to help Coventry to three points. Palmer continues to find his rhythm since his move in the summer and left the pitch after 78 minutes on Saturday to a standing ovation, although, based on the highlights, he missed a couple of decent chances. After the game he said ‘I had a chance really early on to be fair, but it's gone now, and I saw it back and I don’t want to see it back again and at least we won so hopefully everyone forgets about that.’

Hamer saw red for his petulant reaction following an 89th-minute tussle with on-loan Manchester United midfielder Mejbri when they played Birmingham, (pre the International break). The dismissal means the 25-year-old will serve a four match ban, three for this offence and an extra  game because it comes as his second red of the season so far, having been sent off for two yellow cards at Millwall. So he won’t play against us. Robins certainly was not impressed: https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-robins-hamer-red-25045833

For us Alex Scott is suspended and the expected ongoing careful management of Joe Williams and surgery to Matty James means we will be forced into changes. Han-Noah Massengo will likely make his first start since the 3-3 draw with Blackpool at the end of August. Andy King has yet to make a start in the Championship this season and seems to be the obvious stand-in. Also it’s possible that TC may be replaced in the starting line up by AS. Dylan Kadji is perhaps also set for a place in the matchday squad for the first time in his fledgling professional career after the midfielder was surprisingly left out of the Under-21 side against Millwall (on Monday).

Well known Coventry fans include Alistair McGowan, Brian McFadden and Richard Keys.

The ref is James Bell.  After qualifying at 14, he primarily officiated games at his secondary school and in the Sheffield and District Junior League. Initially balancing his refereeing and playing commitments, he chose the former and steadily progressed through the system, earning promotion onto the National List of assistant referees at the age of 23. He will be assisted by Adam Crysell and Sam Lewis, the fourth official is Tim Robinson.

Robins TV returns for this match and is available to UK and international viewers. Academy Director Brian Tinnion will be the studio guest from 7:15pm.

Let’s get back to a solid, winning performance COYR!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8
9 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I think Semenyo will start in place of Conway tonight. 

Massengo/king will take Scott's place due to suspension. 

Kadji potentially on the bench tonight after missing the 21's game. 

I'm going for 2-1 tonight. 

Agree with all 4 of these thoughts.

Kadji will likely get minutes even. Williams won't play the full 90.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Agree with all 4 of these thoughts.

Kadji will likely get minutes even. Williams won't play the full 90.

Agreed. 

Tonight is a big opportunity for Kadji IF he gets minutes. 

We will see the squad required in the upcoming games. And as Nige has shown previously, if they perform, they will retain their place. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Never went on Saturday but heard horror stories of traffic chaos throughout Bristol.

Anyone have any idea if things have got better or worse since the weekend?

My hunch is there’s at least another month of this.

Portway down to one lane, half of BS3 either dug up or temporary traffic lights due to construction of housing or the heat network stuff.

Don’t expect it to improve any time soon.

On the pitch we certainly need to pick up at least a point after 3 defeats (2 of them expected), Post is predicting 4 changes to the team tonight, I reckon 3.

1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I think Semenyo will start in place of Conway tonight. 

Massengo/king will take Scott's place due to suspension. 

Kadji potentially on the bench tonight after missing the 21's game. 

I'm going for 2-1 tonight. 

My bets are the following:

- Williams starts with Massengo in CM. Williams having played not the full ninety on Sat means he’ll be risked two games in a row

- Agreed, Semenyo for Conway

- Not sure it’ll be Wilson for Sykes as mooted (not by you but widely) Nige tends to keep faith after one below par game and that’s where Sykes is.

So I reckon two changes. One enforced.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My hunch is there’s at least another month of this.

Portway down to one lane, half of BS3 either dug up or temporary traffic lights due to construction of housing or the heat network stuff.

Don’t expect it to improve any time soon.

On the pitch we certainly need to pick up at least a point after 3 defeats (2 of them expected), Post is predicting 4 changes to the team tonight, I reckon 3.

Thanks for that. I'm not based south of the river, so it looks to be sensible to leave earlier than usual in an attempt to get there at a sensible time.

Don't care so much about how long it takes to get back as I am not against the clock then.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

My bets are the following:

- Williams starts with Massengo in CM. Williams having played not the full ninety on Sat means he’ll be risked two games in a row

- Agreed, Semenyo for Conway

- Not sure it’ll be Wilson for Sykes as mooted (not by you but widely) Nige tends to keep faith after one below par game and that’s where Sykes is.

So I reckon two changes. One enforced.

TBH I would rather keep Williams fresh for Saturday's match. If he plays tonight I don't think we can risk him vs Brum

55 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Thing is, Scott is back then and potentially James so I think the equation is different 

Well if we win and HNM puts in a shift and plays as well as he did against Lurton and Cardiff then I would hope (expect) that he ‘keeps the shirt’ for Birmingham regardless of who else is available… 

• Like 1

I would play Williams and Massengo tonight. Start Semenyo instead of Conway too. And I’d start Wilson or Tanner instead of Sykes.

As above Scott is back Saturday.

If Nige is genuinely worried about Williams then play king with Massengo.

With those changes we are still no weaker than Saturday, we have a squad of like-level players…the issue is depth really. 

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would play Williams and Massengo tonight. Start Semenyo instead of Conway too. And I’d start Wilson or Tanner instead of Sykes.

With those changes we are still no weaker than Saturday, we have a squad of like-level players…the issue is depth really. 

Agree with this, although I'd consider Sykes instead of Weimann, Andi has struggled to get involved in the last 3 games - perhaps not 100% fit?

1 hour ago, WarksRobin said:

TBH I would rather keep Williams fresh for Saturday's match. If he plays tonight I don't think we can risk him vs Brum

He will probably only play tonight because of injuries/suspension. He was so poor at the weekend. 

Edited by Super
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Going to miss tonight as I’m starting uni tomorrow morning in London. 
A real shame as I’d be really interested to see Dylan Kadji play if included in the squad. I will be listening to the commentary on Robins TV instead. COYRs 

Where are you going? I'm in East, Queen Mary

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think I'd probably do King and Massengo. I'd like to see King sitting back and hopefully using his discipline to not just make up for his lack of pace, but provide an easier (more thoughtful) outlet for Naismith to prevent some of the bum clenching passes we've seen recently. I'd also trust him to make the right decision if he does pick up a pass in a dodgy space (I think Williams got one on Saturday with 3 players about 5m from him) compared to Williams or Massengo. I just don't trust either of those two to be where Naismith needs them to progress forwards, or the team need them when play is transitioning.

With King and Massengo though I reckon you also need to either decide to have the wing backs hold back a bit, or Weimann drop a bit to make up for King's lack of pace and Massengo's lack of positional discipline. Without that I can see holes not getting plugged in the middle. I don't know enough about Coventry to decide which is best there.

I'd also start Semenyo up front with Wells.

Otherwise my left-field suggestion is to play Jay in the middle, just because I really rate him and want to see how he'd get on!

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think a midfield of Massengo and King and a change of RWB is significantly weaker.

Sykes wasn’t great on Saturday but Wilson looked miles off. I don’t think Wilson will start.

37 minutes ago, Henry said:

I think a midfield of Massengo and King and a change of RWB is significantly weaker.

Sykes wasn’t great on Saturday but Wilson looked miles off. I don’t think Wilson will start.

I think it can be hard for players to come off the bench and get up to speed. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Never went on Saturday but heard horror stories of traffic chaos throughout Bristol.

Anyone have any idea if things have got better or worse since the weekend?

The road works problems will be ongoing for a while, but midweek should be better than Saturday, as Saturdays always have a protest of some sort in central Bristol. I’m not sure what the protests are about but there’s one each week.