IGNORED

Worth reading………….

Robbored

I thought it was absolutely pathetic.

The way he attempted to brush off the question about his team being a bunch of underachieving total piss heads completely summed him up.

Apparently the reason we never went up was that we were repeatedly “very, very unlucky”.

What a bluffer he was.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I like Danny Wilson, but I can’t believe he’s had eighteen years and that’s the best he can come up with to explain the Lita decision. The lad had been on the bench every game, he’d came on as sub thirty odd times?, he’d been involved in the comeback in the semi, you then get to the final, your top scorer is out injured.. and you leave him out. Madness.

As I say I like him, but I fail to believe anybody leaving Cardiff that day didn’t know time was up. Four years managing City in that league not getting promoted, the utterly pathetic performance that day. Time to go. 

It was patently obvious to everyone in the stands, but not apparently the manager, that Lita was a class above.

This isn't the first time we've seen this. A manager picking his mates, the people he knows best, and sidelining young talent. 

It's not something you could accuse Pearson of, which might be why he's achieved so much more in his career than Wilson has. 

I liked Danny as a person, but as a manager, we needed better. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A bland and uninteresting take on his time in BS3.....good bunch of lads/unlucky/just couldn't get over the line blah blah. Thanks due to the Bristol Post though for we now know not to waste any money on 300 more pages of this rubbish.

After a good start to his managerial career with Barnsley he spent the next 20 years meandering through the mostly lower leagues achieving just one promotion from the bottom league in all of those 20 seasons.

He was deservedly sacked by Lansdown - and by almost every other club he subsequently managed - and if it wasn't for RR's obsession we'd have all forgotten about him years ago.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I thought it was absolutely pathetic.

The way he attempted to brush off the question about his team being a bunch of underachieving total piss heads completely summed him up.

Apparently the reason we never went up was that we were repeatedly “very, very unlucky”.

What a bluffer he was.

I have to admit, I was ready to completely disagree but you could have a point.

I had it in the back of my mind that we got a high points tally in both the years we missed out, considering we finished 3rd. That was wrong.

Looking back, we would have been considered very lucky to finish second with 82/83 points - this has happened 9 times since 3 points for a win came in. I appreciate the context is different when more promotion places were available but ultimately the football was exciting, but too gung-ho. We lost too many games to get promoted, we may have been unlucky at times but "best of the rest" sums up our time under Wilson.

I think bluffer is harsh, he was the tonic to Pulis that we needed and I enjoyed watching City 95% of the time. Unfortunately for us, the other 5% were the key games that cost us promotion - it was ultimately the manager's job to fix that.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

A bland and uninteresting take on his time in BS3.....good bunch of lads/unlucky/just couldn't get over the line blah blah. Thanks due to the Bristol Post though for we now know not to waste any money on 300 more pages of this rubbish.

After a good start to his managerial career with Barnsley he spent the next 20 years meandering through the mostly lower leagues achieving just one promotion from the bottom league in all of those 20 seasons.

He was deservedly sacked by Lansdown - and by almost every other club he subsequently managed - and if it wasn't for RR's obsession we'd have all forgotten about him years ago.

SL has never revealed why he sacked Wilson given how close City had got to promotion……..……..:dunno: I guess we’ll never know.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

41 minutes ago, Always Believesham said:

I have to admit, I was ready to completely disagree but you could have a point.

I had it in the back of my mind that we got a high points tally in both the years we missed out, considering we finished 3rd. That was wrong.

Looking back, we would have been considered very lucky to finish second with 82/83 points - this has happened 9 times since 3 points for a win came in. I appreciate the context is different when more promotion places were available but ultimately the football was exciting, but too gung-ho. We lost too many games to get promoted, we may have been unlucky at times but "best of the rest" sums up our time under Wilson.

I think bluffer is harsh, he was the tonic to Pulis that we needed and I enjoyed watching City 95% of the time. Unfortunately for us, the other 5% were the key games that cost us promotion - it was ultimately the manager's job to fix that.

Thanks & I agree about him being a good choice after Pulis, but he got 4 full seasons & the progress under him was glacial, plus reading his comments he is still in a total state of denial about the culture, which anyone who drink in the centre around this time will know was absolutely disgraceful.

Just to pick up on your 95% point, 2002/3 was excellent, Murray scored for fun, but even though we made the playoff final the year after, the football was truly shit.

Champions Plymouth (!) scored nearly as many goals at Home Park as we did home & away, we were a boring, negative side trying to eek out 1-0 wins.

• Like 2

I loved the brand of football under Wilson, the Tinnion-Murray combo was the nuts. But I used to see Phillips, Coles, Miller, Lita out in town loads back then, as well as Peacock and Matthews in Portishead. They were a team of piss artists. The time was right for him to move on and the bigger issue is SL’s long list of largely bad appointments ever since IMO. 

2 minutes ago, tin said:

I loved the brand of football under Wilson, the Tinnion-Murray combo was the nuts. But I used to see Phillips, Coles, Miller, Lita out in town loads back then, as well as Peacock and Matthews in Portishead. They were a team of piss artists. The time was right for him to move on and the bigger issue is SL’s long list of largely bad appointments ever since IMO. 

I enjoyed it too...but like you say, it seemed every time you went into town you'd see a player on the piss.

It was the same in the players lounge after games as well...everyone on it.

What we have to remember though, is back then, many clubs still had a drinking culture. That's what it was like at the time. So it wasn't just us.

Peacock could seriously put them away. 

• Flames 1

Just now, spudski said:

I enjoyed it too...but like you say, it seemed every time you went into town you'd see a player on the piss.

What we have to remember though, is back then, many clubs still had a drinking culture. That's what it was like at the time. So it wasn't just us.

He wasn’t the only one - several of that squad used to drink in my local pub. Scott Murray got more profane the more pints he sank.

The landlord threatened to ban him because of it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

SL has never revealed why he sacked Wilson given how close City had got to promotion……..……..:dunno: I guess we’ll never know.

Man doesn't hit target set by boss, and his team constantly get drunk, gets sacked. No real shock is there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Not much of interest to me in this article. Wilson got sacked because he failed to get us promoted over a period of years despite large amounts of money spent. Indiscipline in the squad was a big problem and it grew under Wilson. Nothing in his career since his time with us would suggest we've missed anything. Admittedly his side could be entertaining, but ultimately it failed and Wilson's time was rightly up.

That said, although I think Lita should have started in preference to journeymen like Roberts or Miller it wasn't the only reason we failed that day. Tinman, for example, has always made much of the Lira omission although he himself was totally invisible that day, eventually taken off. Have never heard Tinman or anyone else own up to their own poor performances that day - all much easier to hide behind the Lita decision.

Edited by Calculus

3 minutes ago, Strictly Obi said:

Gary Johnson achieved what Wilson couldn't ?

He did, & so did Ward & Cotterill.

Took over after a season started, then won promotion in their first full one.

Didn’t spend 4 years only to end up where we started.

Obviously all 3 of them weren’t “very, very unlucky”..

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

56 minutes ago, spudski said:

That’s true but as a comparator during this time Plymouth under Sturrock won back to back titles to go straight from League Two to the Championship.

I’m sure a few of their players fancied a beer too but he achieved far more in a shorter time at a club that has the hardest of all jobs to attract players.

The fact that Wilson still gets annoyed by the question & won’t accept he had a team that contained a large number of drunks is very revealing, no self awareness at all.

Just now, GrahamC said:

That’s true but as a comparator during this time Plymouth under Sturrock won back to back titles to go straight from League Two to the Championship.

I’m sure a few of their players fancied a beer too but he achieved far more in a shorter time at a club that has the hardest of all jobs to attract players.

The fact that Wilson still gets annoyed by the question & won’t accept he had a team that contained a large number of drunks is very revealing, no self awareness at all.

In fairness, though, he still lived in Chesterfield throughout his time here and wasn't really that present for a lot of it. Proper manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1