IGNORED

David Bentley

Logical-City

Fact is, if he didn't have flaws in his game, he'd be in the Prem.

(Note: I'm talking about GK and Bristol City player Daniel Bentley, not former Spurs player David Bentley. Nor am I talking about Bentley cars, the band Bentley Rhythm Ace, nor Bentley Systems (an infrastructure systems software company, apparently)) 

• Haha 6
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Fact is, if he didn't have flaws in his game, he'd be in the Prem.

(Note: I'm talking about GK and Bristol City player Daniel Bentley, not former Spurs player David Bentley. Nor am I talking about Bentley cars, the band Bentley Rhythm Ace, nor Bentley Systems (an infrastructure systems software company, apparently)) 

You've gone and done it now. This is going to be in my head all afternoon...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Dredd said:

If Bentley isn’t signing the contract that’s been on the table for quite a while then if performances drop why should Pearson keep him in the team? Theres a choice to give someone an opportunity who will be here next year. 

I've got mixed feelings on that. I certainly think we need to have an eye on the future but I'd hate to go back to the days under Gary Johnson where we sometimes cut our nose off to spite our face by freezing out players in the last year of their contract who could still bring something to the team. I think whoever is doing the best in training should get the shirt but would agree that - where there is not a lot to choose between the goalkeepers - it's better to give a chance to someone who can make a case for the long term. 

• Like 1

On 08/10/2022 at 23:45, Logical-City said:

At what point do people start to recognise that Frankie Fielding was better ? And that our next signing should be a keeper? Sorry he can make all the random world class saves he wants but give me a steady reliable safe hands keeper all day  ? 

oh dear oh dear. Frankie Fielding, lovely bloke, but a pretty dodgy keeper. Bentley is far better.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I've got mixed feelings on that. I certainly think we need to have an eye on the future but I'd hate to go back to the days under Gary Johnson where we sometimes cut our nose off to spite our face by freezing out players in the last year of their contract who could still bring something to the team. I think whoever is doing the best in training should get the shirt but would agree that - where there is not a lot to choose between the goalkeepers - it's better to give a chance to someone who can make a case for the long term. 

Think Pearson is more pragmatic. He’s also said on more than one occasion that he doesn’t take account of the contracts situation in team selection. 

The sensible way is if a player adds value to the team with there being either no other options or the alternatives aren’t as likely to perform as well, an out of contract player at the end of this Season plays. That seems to the Pearson way at present.

Thanks for this thread, needed a good laugh after a difficult day.  

Frankie Fielding, loved the bloke, but dear or dear.  The one thing I do miss is the way he booted the ball straight out from a goal kick.  My memory might have inflated the number, but it seemed like at least 5 times a game.  He was still doing at Millwall, and still getting cheered by the City fans when we went to the cup game there a few years back. 

7 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

We conceded 23 in the 9 games he was in goal last season. I don't think the defence looked confident at all.

But yes, good save last night when we needed him & should remain in place until his form drops as you said. 

Last night Max had to do pretty much nothing all night.

Preston we the worst side I have seen all year.

He came off his line early and also made a save low down to his right in the second half.

The ball barley came in the box and when it did with decent delivery they scored.

To be fair Max did nothing wrong  but he did not do a lot right either and that’s not his fault.

Lets judge Max when we play a decent team and he’s called into action.

We played a pretty poor team at home against Coventry and we did not coincide with Bentley

I much prefer Bentley and don’t agree with him being dropped.

But Max has the shirt and I hope he keeps longer than last time as that means results are going well.

But I am not having he made a difference last night.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

If Bentley isn’t signing the contract that’s been on the table for quite a while then if performances drop why should Pearson keep him in the team? Theres a choice to give someone an opportunity who will be here next year. 

Which contract that has been on the table is this ?

Please tell more 

Keep Up.

It's been on the table for months.

They are just negotiating bonuses for goals and assists.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Fuber said:

On a serious note - 

How I wish Niki Maenpaa hadn't been so injury prone.

12 hours ago, Fuber said:

On a serious note - 

How I wish Niki Maenpaa hadn't been so injury prone.

Yup. The best keeper we have had at the club since we have been back at this level IMO.

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1