IGNORED

Preston North End at home match thread

9 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Keith Stroud was woeful tonight.

In fact, on reflection, he was even worse than that. I can't even muster up the energy to type out just how bad he was. 

How did Fernández not get booked for 2 bad fouls on Sykes and Scott? Stroud didn't even award a free kick for the second. Criminal.

15 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Much better effort and application, even if the final ball quality was missing. That is how you need to bring out results in the Championship, collective team effort. Thought Klose had a great game and made a big difference. Also well done Max, first game in ages, one great save, lots of communication and fast and mainly accurate distribution. 

Can we do it again on Saturday ?

Yes.

57 minutes ago, Champfan45 said:

Keith Stroud is one of the worst referees in the country. I'm pretty sure he gave the Leeds manager a straight red for swearing a couple weeks ago

Possibly the worst example of him being a bad referee, is to use an example of him doing his job correctly....? 

24 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Keith Stroud was woeful tonight.

In fact, on reflection, he was even worse than that. I can't even muster up the energy to type out just how bad he was. 

I was actually thinking he’s not doing too bad tonight during the first half, then he reverted to type in the second and started making random decisions. He wasn’t helped by the linesman on the Lansdown side who took seemed to forget how to raise his flag, not that it’s any excuse. There was a collective groan from the fans around me when Stroud’s  name was announced and by the end he had lived down to expectations. 

• Like 4

Great to see Atkinson get a double, got some last season too.

Spirit just seemed much better too, a good reaction to Saturday. The type of goal we conceded not so much but an unbeaten on the road Preston, no longer are. Thought Stroud wasn't great but wasn't terrible either.

A much needed win and a late winner always feels good- think Preston might be disappointed with the winner as I was with their equaliser from a defensive POV.

Last season, I don't think we come back and get that late winner.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Redtucks said:

Considering there was an injury on 90 minutes, and then the game didn't restart for another couple of minutes, the 7 minutes only began from the restart!

Yeah. I set a 7 minute timer, and he played exactly 7 minutes from the point Preston kicked back off after we went ahead, and I mean to the second. (I was mainly watching the phone count down for the last 30 seconds.)  He could've possibly legitimately added a extra minute on for time wasting, but he didn't.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 1

Great to get a hard fought win tonight. Players were up for the battle and although we conceded from yet another set piece, we deserved the win overall as the better team. Klose made a big difference in the centre, mistake to give way that free kick apart.  Semenyo and Scott the two best players on the pitch for me.  Williams, Conway and Weimann all put a big shift in. Max was a surprise pick but got to give NP credit for that because his distribution made a difference, he looked pretty assured and he pulled off a couple of great saves.   Atkinson proving himself to be a menace in the opposition box from corners, two quality headers to win us the game.  

Not sure why there were no other championship games tonight, but hopefully that won’t be too much of a disadvantage against Millwall at the weekend.  Hope there’s a better crowd in for that, the extra noise could be important to maintain the energy levels. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

Not sure why there were no other championship games tonight, but hopefully that won’t be too much of a disadvantage against Millwall at the weekend.  Hope there’s a better crowd in for that, the extra noise could be important to maintain the energy levels. 

Rearranged games just fall whenever. There definitely will be, a win, a Saturday- bit of edge v Millwall, looking forward to this one. More away fans too surely.

4 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I think we’ve broadly played alright, but again the delivery into the box has been so poor.

I’d hook Conway at half-time and put Martin on. Ditto Dasilva for Pring.

Weimann and Williams both having more influential games, though.

I said to the guys next to me and also in a WhatsApp group at h-t that with PNE CBs playing deep, neither Conway or Antoine had any room to spin in behind…and that Martin might be better to bounce passes off of.  Both our forwards looked poor with their first touch back to goal too, which is where Martin can thrive.

As it happened both found pockets early second half, which dragged PNEs CBs higher up and suddenly Antoine had space over the top.

Agree re Andi and Joe too, the front too just not quite getting on the end of things.  Williams won loads of loose balls (in the first half especially) through desire to be first to the ball.  A much more “Joe Williams” performance for me.

4 hours ago, miketh2nd said:

Like a lot of teams of late we are forced out wide , Preston's 3 cb's happy for Sykes or Dasilva to have the ball so they don't get caught by our fast front two. So whilst I think the movement of our front two could be better when said wingbacks get the ball high up the pitch , we need to have players running past the front two and for the front two to link up more with where we are finding space.

Spot on. ??????

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Spike said:

No yellow... how on earth is that not a straight red? 

From behind, both legs used in a scissor movement! 

From my position in A4 (LS / near SS corner) I thought it was a robust tackle, but just about fair.  I’ve since seen a video from one of the media guys and it’s terrible.  Cunningham is a sly “Gareth Hunt”.  Never liked him. Watching it back, it’s a red.

3 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Stupid foul Klose

Probably the only real error he made all night.  Zak got sucked into staying with his man who came short and towards the dugouts, leaving a ball over the top, but Klose didn’t track his man, finding himself too far off.  Not Zak’s problem, he did his job, just couldn’t believe Timm didn’t follow his man.

Cost us big time…until Rob “Flint” Atkinson popped up!

3 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Great work by Wells as the keeper man, body in a position that held off the defender but also got in the way of Woodman to give Atkinson the space 

Woodman is weak.  Not big enough, nor physical enough….always good to attack him on set-pieces.  Remember Swansea and KP scoring direct past him?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, cityexile said:

Sometimes when yon a bad run, you just need to find a way to win a game, anyway, anyhow. It was not the prettiest game but in fairness to them they found a way against a team on a decent run.

Similar effort against Millwall on Saturday and table will look a lot less scary. Winning late on when I thought we had blown the win is going to help confidence as well.

And in fairness to Nige, since the start of last season he’s generally found a win from somewhere.  This was his longest winless run since the end of 20/21 season….coming off the back of his best run.  Streaky Pearson???  Surely not.

Hopefully this makes up for the game being cancelled when we were in good form.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Scrappy game, both sides struggling to string three passes together but the result is all that matters after the piss poor performance at Brum.

Really?  If you said both teams not controlling much in the final 25 yards of the pitch, I’d agree, but there were some good passing phases across the 90 from both sides.  PNE not very adventurous though.

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Silly foul by Klose from which they level, BUT he was exactly what we have been missing in terms of winning defensive headers time after time.

He attacks the ball really well.  When he signed I did some video of him from his loan spell at FC Basel, and it showed how good he is aerially…as I’d thought he was more a classy defender than good aerially.  Appears he is both! ?

59 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

At the ft whistle, noticed that Martin went straight down the tunnel - no handshakes, no applause to supporters, just straight off.  Looked strange but may be nothing. 

Took a lot of a abuse on Saturday and has had his fair share whilst being here. Also think he gets frustrated by a lack of playing time as he’s done this a few times this season. Probably the least he’s played in his career?

What’s always surprised me is a few players in the squad referring to Martin as ‘biggest moaner’ when asked in tedious social media/YouTube videos. Not a suggestion on his professionalism just surprising. 

• Thanks 1

My Preston friend said they really missed Storey, their suspended defender. She said they were poor and he has been immense for them.

I conceded it was probably on the back of the away win at Norwich on Saturday, two long, long trips. 

As for us. I would say it was concentration and not necessarily quality or confidence that got us through. Going down after 3 mins at Brum made our players look like they had lost the match already, and of course they went on to forfil that

6 hours ago, SouthS22 said:

Great to get a hard fought win tonight. Players were up for the battle and although we conceded from yet another set piece, we deserved the win overall as the better team. Klose made a big difference in the centre, mistake to give way that free kick apart.  Semenyo and Scott the two best players on the pitch for me.  Williams, Conway and Weimann all put a big shift in. Max was a surprise pick but got to give NP credit for that because his distribution made a difference, he looked pretty assured and he pulled off a couple of great saves.   Atkinson proving himself to be a menace in the opposition box from corners, two quality headers to win us the game.  

Birmingham did us Saturday after having played a day later than us so shouldn’t be too much of a problem. 
After a comment from the RobinsTV commentator who said that Semenyo and Conway looked ‘ leggy’ , Louis Carey shot down the propos stating that today’s elite players cover immense distances in high intensity matches twice a week and are more then capable of maintaining their performance levels. 

It was a much needed win, and one the team should be pleased with.

Klose was very solid at the back, and Max done well with the little he had to do. Preston were poorer than I expected, and it felt a bit of a nothing 0-0 incoming until the goal. A good performance, but I would switch Conway for Wells at the weekend. Conway may be confident, but he is quite lightweight and often makes the wrong decision. I feel he could be better off the bench when players are getting tired, whilst Nahki has a bit more knowhow could have produced a couple of balls to give Semenyo a chance to score, where Tommy just tried to take the player on every time, rather than move the ball. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I said to the guys next to me and also in a WhatsApp group at h-t that with PNE CBs playing deep, neither Conway or Antoine had any room to spin in behind…and that Martin might be better to bounce passes off of.  Both our forwards looked poor with their first touch back to goal too, which is where Martin can thrive.

As it happened both found pockets early second half, which dragged PNEs CBs higher up and suddenly Antoine had space over the top.

Agree re Andi and Joe too, the front too just not quite getting on the end of things.  Williams won loads of loose balls (in the first half especially) through desire to be first to the ball.  A much more “Joe Williams” performance for me.

Spot on. ??????

I agree @Davefevs a performance from Williams of the ilk i've been expecting from him over the last few years. In the first half in particular he certainly had the bit between his teeth.

I thought the timing of the subs was a bit poor last night personally. Conway was dead on his feet from about 75 mins, and i thought that was the time to bring Martin on.

Martin could have added another defensive element to crosses, and i thought that potentially cost us in the 82 min when then equalised.

With a short turnaround for the Sat game, there's going to be a lot ofntired legs this month, and in the case of Scott (who got kicked throughout the night) battered ones.

32 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

It was a much needed win, and one the team should be pleased with.

Klose was very solid at the back, and Max done well with the little he had to do. Preston were poorer than I expected, and it felt a bit of a nothing 0-0 incoming until the goal. A good performance, but I would switch Conway for Wells at the weekend. Conway may be confident, but he is quite lightweight and often makes the wrong decision. I feel he could be better off the bench when players are getting tired, whilst Nahki has a bit more knowhow could have produced a couple of balls to give Semenyo a chance to score, where Tommy just tried to take the player on every time, rather than move the ball. 

Sure TC didn’t score last night but he’s become an integral part of the high press and he wins the ball back more often than his team mates. Nige mentioned the press in his post match comments and I’m pretty sure he’ll start against Millwall on Saturday.

• Like 1