IGNORED

Preston North End at home match thread

9 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Keith Stroud was woeful tonight.

In fact, on reflection, he was even worse than that. I can't even muster up the energy to type out just how bad he was. 

We need this to be used in the OTIB swear filter about any referee comments, guy was truly awful (as per our expectations, given his history with us)

TBH, I thought Stroud  started OK, almost turned into a homer. He gave us some dubious throw in's and the benefit of some 50/50 shouts. 

and then reverted to type and went all "Stroudy" 

The tackle (?) on Scott not a foul, the one on Semenyo a booking.

The guy almost pulls Scotts shirt off = nothing, slight push = free kick to them.

They wasted time from the first minute and Vyner was the one booked. 

Not fit for purpose, how he still Refs is more an indication of how low standards are, rather than how good he is.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, semblar said:

We need this to be used in the OTIB swear filter about any referee comments, guy was truly awful (as per our expectations, given his history with us)

Ironically when he refereed us earlier in the season a lot of people (including me) said that he was actually one of the better ones in a while.

His second half performance last night was truly horrendous. It all started when Zak kicked the ball to one of their guys for a throw in and he booked him for kicking the ball away. 

The Scott challenge was awful, it was from behind anyway, the type of challenge that has been outlawed for about 30 years, so whether the defender made contact with the ball should make no difference. 

He then booked a Preston Player for the most innocuous of challenges, he started waving cards in all directions, I had no idea who he booked for the challenge that led to their goal. Initially I thought it was Scott, then Klose, turned out it was Weimann. It was a bizarre 45/53 minutes all round.

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I agree @Davefevs a performance from Williams of the ilk i've been expecting from him over the last few years. In the first half in particular he certainly had the bit between his teeth.

Pic 1 - City ball recoveries

Pic 2 - Joe Williams recoveries

71293D9A-D65C-45F9-AF12-A1B1B5A9B5A6.jpeg.1929ce1c40b41d073fe71af1943b4fba.jpegD586607C-2DD2-4C5B-B8F3-07C0DD5EEC0F.thumb.jpeg.14e33d90ceb31ce2c5cccbe61a2d1899.jpeg

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Last night showed why Daniel Johnson has never progressed beyond Preston. 1st half one or two attempts at slide rule passes, one of which came off, and a couple of good bits of pressing. Second half, when we got on top I forgot he was playing. Kasey Palmer comes to mind.

On twitter several fans were scathing about his selection pre-game.

Maybe Ryan Lowe isn’t the messiah / golden ticket to exciting, attacking football some of our fans see him as? ??‍♂️

24 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

TBH, I thought Stroud  started OK, almost turned into a homer. He gave us some dubious throw in's and the benefit of some 50/50 shouts. 

The guy almost pulls Scotts shirt off = nothing, slight push = free kick to them.

Not fit for purpose, how he still Refs is more an indication of how low standards are, rather than how good he is.

My assessment too.

Thought he was pretty decent for about 70 minutes then he completely lost the plot.

How on earth their 2 got away with the “tackle” on Scott I have no idea.

He also allowed 2 of their players to kick the ball away so we couldn’t take a free kick but (rightly) booked Vyner for exactly the same thing.

The time wasting thing is weird too, basically just ignores them doing it all game, then adds on 7 minutes, which benefitted them as they were losing by then.

He’s by no means the worst ref these days but as @NcnsBcfc rightly said to me last night, when he loses it, he is then bizarre for the rest of the game.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Ironically when he refereed us earlier in the season a lot of people (including me) said that he was actually one of the better ones in a while.

His second half performance last night was truly horrendous. It all started when Zak kicked the ball to one of their guys for a throw in and he booked him for kicking the ball away. 

The Scott challenge was awful, it was from behind anyway, the type of challenge that has been outlawed for about 30 years, so whether the defender made contact with the ball should make no difference. 

He then booked a Preston Player for the most innocuous of challenges, he started waving cards in all directions, I had no idea who he booked for the challenge that led to their goal. Initially I thought it was Scott, then Klose, turned out it was Weimann. It was a bizarre 45/53 minutes all round.

I've reported that Weimann was cautioned for dissent as it was Klose that fouled the Preston player, Weimann's protest was right under Stroud's nose, ill advised when he's "on one". 

I'd also add that the Hernandez challenge on Scott was at least a yellow, maybe even a red but to not even give a FK was bizarre. One of the City bench queried this with Stroud and he just made the shape of a ball with his hands, indicating Hernandez got the ball. But as most of us know, getting the ball is not a free hit to tackle however you like!

Although Robbie Brady did eventually get booked late on, he committed three or four fouls early on and should have been cautioned for persistent misconduct long before he did actually see a card. 

As someone else has said, the assistant on the Lansdown Stand side seemed petrified at times to wave his flag one way or another to make a decision. That wouldn't have helped Stroud to make the right call either as it's his call at the end of the day! And based on last night's showing, he needs all the help he can get. 

Edited by Hamdon Mart
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1
1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

So bad maybe Liz can find a job for him in her cabinet

Ooooooh, bit o' politics, bit o' politics

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
18 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

I've reported that Weimann was cautioned for dissent as it was Klose that fouled the Preston player, Weimann's protest was right under Stroud's nose, ill advised when he's "on one". 

I'd also add that the Hernandez challenge on Scott was at least a yellow, maybe even a red but to not even give a FK was bizarre. One of the City bench queried this with Stroud and he just made the shape of a ball with his hands, indicating Hernandez got the ball. But as most of us know, getting the ball is not a free hit to tackle however you like!

Although Robbie Brady did eventually get booked late on, he committed three or four fouls early on and should have been cautioned for persistent misconduct long before he did actually see a card. 

As someone else has said, the assistant on the Lansdown Stand side seemed petrified at times to wave his flag one way or another to make a decision. That wouldn't have helped Stroud to make the right call either as it's his call at the end of the day! And based on last night's showing, he needs all the help he can get. 

He did a game at the gate earlier on this season (forget which one) which he actually wasn't too bad in. However when he loses it on the pitch, it all starts to unravel fairly quickly.

You can see why he has applied, and been turned down 5 times now for promotion to being a PL referee. He has the potential to be a competent referee, but his erratic performances at times have meant that he is well known in refereeing circles as someone who is unlikely to proceed up the career ladder.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

The time wasting thing is weird too, basically just ignores them doing it all game, then adds on 7 minutes, which benefitted them as they were losing by then.

Yep. I said to my mate, after we scored I would have told them tough shit. They wasted time, and it turned out to be their time.

I did think we managed the added time quite well, though I think they made it easier.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, SouthS22 said:

I was actually thinking he’s not doing too bad tonight during the first half, then he reverted to type in the second and started making random decisions. He wasn’t helped by the linesman on the Lansdown side who took seemed to forget how to raise his flag, not that it’s any excuse. There was a collective groan from the fans around me when Stroud’s  name was announced and by the end he had lived down to expectations. 

Agree. Lost the plot from 65th minute onwards. I think he got bored and wanted to make some bookings

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

It appears Johnson is out of contract in the summer and judging by social media, a fair number of their fans don't think he should get a new one.

Was their best player first half. Maybe he's just always brilliant against us, but he has been consistently the best player we face in the League for a good 5 years now.

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

Was their best player first half. Maybe he's just always brilliant against us, but he has been consistently the best player we face in the League for a good 5 years now.

Yeah, he's always stood out against us going right back to playing them in L1. Does seem from reading various bits that he doesn't do it consistently though, or at least not like he used to.

1 hour ago, Hamdon Mart said:

He was on my side, and I reckon there were four or five occasions (in his defence) where he made a little change of hands with his flag or a little indication which way he saw it to indicate his preference / view.  Don’t forget he’s mic’d up to the ref, so he doesn’t need to flag immediately, he can do in unison with Stroud.

It looks crap, because it looks like the ref is making the decision, when in fact it’s the Lino that has, but the (what looks like) late communication from the Lino is for fans benefit only.  I don’t think many fans realise this.

It was the Lino who told Stroud that Fernandes had caught Sykes in the nuts off the ball in the second half…Stroud wasn’t watching that as it was off the ball.  Stroud then whistled for a free-kick to us.

But having defended the Lino (he gave us few dubious throws first half too) he totally missed Cunningham’s awful tackle on Scott.  But, from my position I thought Cunningham had got the ball, albeit robustly.  It was only when I saw a video from behind the SS Goal I could see the scissors action.  But Stroud should’ve seen that.

• Like 2

Watched the highlights, all the contentious moments left out - is this a requirement? I know its just city bias but when I remember the decisions given against us in the past and seeing the antics of players like Cunningham and what they get away with doesn't help. How can our player get booked for kicking the ball away when in an incident in the first half a Preston player commits a foul then picks the ball up and walks away smiling past the referee with no booking? Same intent to delay a quick free kick.

Reading various comments from him over the last few days, I get the impression that he'd thought the days of lacklustre, going through the motions displays were a thing of the past with this group and that the least he'd be able to count on is 100% commitment and fight even in a defeat where we don't play particularly well. Therefore that Birmingham game will have seriously pissed him off and given some food for thought, especially as it was on the back of other poor results.

• Like 3