IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion away match thread

After a frustrating and very poor team performance against Millwall on Saturday we again need a positive reaction. The match (8pm kick off) has been selected for live coverage by Sky Sports and will be shown in full via the red button on Sky Sports Football.

West Brom were one of the pre-season promotion favourites in the Championship, but they currently sit in 20th place.

The Hawthorns has been home to West Bromwich Albion since 1900, and at an altitude of 551 feet, is the highest ground in England. All of Albion's previous grounds had been close to the centre of West Bromwich, when they relocated they took up an "out of town" site on the borders of Handsworth. The area was covered in hawthorn bushes, which were cleared to make way for the new ground, hence its name, the Hawthorns.

The last time we won at their place was December 1993. Albion have scored at least two goals in all of their last seven games against us at The Hawthorns (W5, D2). The Baggies have hit four on four occasions during that sequence, three goals once and two goals twice.

For the traveling supporters here’s the guide to the ground: https://www.awaygames.co.uk/away-day-guides/west-brom-away/ and with thanks to Jack Phillips Journalism: https://jackphillipssport.wordpress.com/2022/10/15/away-guide-west-bromwich-albion/

Last season we picked up a point against them.

https://youtu.be/7WCuY5n-Nao

Over the years we have won 15, lost 23 and drawn 16 times. We’ve only won twice in our last 14 encounters with them.

They lost England goalkeeper Sam Johnstone who joined Crystal Palace on a Bosman.

They finished 10th last season after Steve Bruce was appointed in February. On October 7 Bruce said this, "Ultimately, I'm to blame. I get it.”  Three days later Bruce was sacked after eight months in charge. The 61-year-old ex-Manchester United defender left following the Baggies' home draw with Luton Town. That result kept them in the Championship relegation zone, in 22nd, their lowest league position in more than 20 years. The backroom staff of Steve Agnew, Stephen Clemence and Alex Bruce have also left West Brom, with under-21 coach Richard Beale named interim boss.

Former Huddersfield Town head coach Carlos Corberan is one of the leading candidates to replace Steve Bruce. WBA have vowed to conduct an exhaustive recruitment process as they look to reverse their fortunes. They are keen to speak to 39-year-old Spaniard Corberan, who resigned as Terriers boss after guiding them to the Championship play-off final in May.

Having failed to win any of their past eight league games they won away 2-0 to Reading on Saturday to register their first away win of the season and currently have 14 points. They kept their second clean sheet in succession against Reading. Despite their struggles this campaign, They still have the joint sixth-best attack in the Championship this season. Interim Baggies boss Richard Beale could not have asked for a better start to his spell in charge. Beale is being assisted by club legends James Morrison, who is first-team coach, and Chris Brunt, who has undertaken a new responsibility as loans manager. Goalkeeper coach Gary Walsh is also part of the caretaker team.

Referee is Robert Manley along with Jonathan Hunt and George Byrne, the fourth official is Geoff Eltringham.

Matty James is set to return but Kal Naismith is likely to remain sidelined.

The game will be the 80th match with NP in charge, he has won 24, drawn 17 and lost 38 of his 79 fixtures. While they remain in search of a permanent manager.

Pubs and pies

The Royal Oak,171 Holyhead Road, Birmingham, B21 0BD, https://www.theroyaloakbham.co.uk

The Vine, 152 Roebuck Street, West Bromwich, B70 6RD, https://www.thevine.co.uk their food is particularly recommended

Park Inn by Radisson, Birmingham Road, West Bromwich, B70 6RS

The Cook House and pub, Congregation Way, West Bromwich B70 7PU, https://www.cookhouseandpub.co.uk/en-gb/locations/west-bromwich?cid=GLBC_40537840 about a five minute drive from the ground

Back in 2017 West Brom boasted the Premier League’s finest match-day pie experience. The study was conducted by Coral, who enlisted the help of ‘Life of Pies’ author Martin Tarbuck and the Pierate pie review system to ascertain which club served the finest pie in the top flight. Can anyone list the seven C’s used in the Pierate pie review system?

Try one of these for a good pie:

Robinson's Bakery, 117 Hill Top, West Bromwich B70 0RU, https://robinsonsbakery.com

Greggs, Birmingham Rd, West Bromwich B71 4JZ, https://www.greggs.co.uk/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=local

Poundbakery, 196 High St, Sandwell Centre, West Bromwich B70 7QS, https://www.poundbakery.co.uk

For the answer to the pie review question look here: http://www.pierate.co.uk/p/the-seven-cs.html

WBA warblings

• There are various explanations for why they are called the Baggies. One theory is that, after settling at The Hawthorns in 1900, their stadium initially only had two entrances – one behind each goal – so gatekeepers would collect spectators' money in large bags. The crowd would shout 'here comes the bag man', which later spawned the 'Baggies title'. Another suggestion is that the name was bestowed on Albion supporters by their rivals at Aston Villa, because of the large baggy trousers that many Albion fans wore at work to protect themselves from molten iron in the factories and foundries of the Black Country. Other possible explanations include that supporters took large bags round to pubs to help save the club from extinction in 1905, and that the club almost going bankrupt at this time saw many of their large players replaced by smaller players, who made the same kits look far more baggy in their skins than in the predecessors!
  • The highest number of points that West Brom have garnered during a single season is 91, a total which they achieved in 2009 under the guidance of Tony Mowbray. Remarkably, this haul was only good enough for second in the Championship as Newcastle United stormed to the title.
  • Their total of five FA Cup triumphs is only bettered by nine teams in English football. The Baggies most recent title in the world’s oldest cup competition occurred in 1968 as Jeff Astle scored the winning goal at Wembley Stadium against Everton.
  • Albion boast a significant number of famous fans among their ranks of supporters including: Adrian Chiles, Frank Skinner, Lenny Henry and Liam Payne of One Direction. Continuing the music theme, rock legend Eric Clapton sported an Albion scarf on the cover of his album 'Backless' to show his love for the club. Clapton also sponsored Albion's UEFA Cup tie against Galatasaray in 1978.
  • The most goals West Brom have scored in a season is 105 (in the 1929/30 season.)

To the traveling Cider Army keep safe, be loud and proud and come back with three points, COYR.

21E1A5A2-32C2-476A-9725-583F3254E583.jpeg

0C7C85BC-8DF0-4830-8D2C-6CD8527396C4.jpeg

E67EFEC9-D9D4-4082-979B-531BF620880D.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Robin 1

Didnt want to start another thread so invaded this one; Pompey v Charlton, Pack and Morrell start for Pompey; didnt know Pack had left Cardiff and Morrell Welsh international.

Brings back memories of trips to the old Valley and Fratton Park when we played them regularly ah well ?

Supporters will be able to purchase match tickets on the night at the Hawthorns on Tuesday, October 18th.

More than 1,200 tickets have already been sold and tickets will be available for cash only from the away ticket office where reprints and collections will also be available.

Supporters can purchase in advance until 1pm on Tuesday, October 18th.

? PRICES

Adults: £25

Senior 65+: £15

Aged 20-25: £15

Aged 17-19s: £10

Under 17: £5

*Prices are exclusive of fees

18 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Didnt want to start another thread so invaded this one; Pompey v Charlton, Pack and Morrell start for Pompey; didnt know Pack had left Cardiff and Morrell Welsh international.

Brings back memories of trips to the old Valley and Fratton Park when we played them regularly ah well ?

Pack booked 

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

My guess is

Max

Vyner. Klose. Atkinson

Tanner. Scott. James.  Pring

Weimann

Semenyo. Wells

Could easily be wrong on Pring though

Would be quite happy with that pring a cert for me conway first pick before Semenyo though and let him loose after 65 mins 

I'm looking forward to tonight. It's only the second game this season I have been able to go to. But I have friends who live in Dudley and they have co-operate seats at West Brom and they invited me, so whilst I will be in what is effectively the home end, I sadly don't have the finances to go to many games anymore, so any opportunity I get, I will gladly take up. 

I am looking forward to it, as the only other game I've watched this year was the Sunderland one. But watched all the others online.  I hope we see Wells back in the fold tonight. Sadly wont be able to cheer if we score though ! But doubt I'll be able to afford another match before ironically the West Brom game again on Boxing Day, but hopefully we can put in a decent performance. 

• Like 3