IGNORED

Match Report: City return to form with stunning West Brom win

Olé

25 minutes ago, pillred said:

Well worth waiting 23 years for, I figure it's a headline that you are delighted to have written but like me can hardly believe you were able to given our past results and performances at the Hawthorns. 

I may have missed a game but that is our first win in my lifetime since I've been going - which is longer than that!

Great report and read.

I had to enjoy it on radio Brizzle and no doubt we deserved the win. It’s perhaps worthy of its own thread but I note you gave Zak a 9.  He appears to be growing in stature, improving and starting to nail down his spot in the side.  From a player who at start of season appeared to be on his way has confounded many of us, me included. Great team effort and well done Zak.. 

• Like 4

But, although the hosts stepped up their efforts after the break, they still could not manage a single effort on target, until Swift's right-footer flicked off the bar five minutes into injury time.

Is @Olé right or the BBC? :) Where the BBC are definitely wrong is in wording it in such a way as to suggest that hitting the woodwork is a shot on target. 

• Like 1

The only shame was that everything happened at the other end of the pitch from where we away fans were!

I'd not even twigged that the second goal was a header. Thought it went straight in to be honest.

First half was a lesson in control. Despite all the fans around me yelling "forward" the players showed great composure as they probed, went left, went right, then came back to Klose or O'Leary to recycle and restart. My gut feeling is that this came from James/Williams/Scott being a little less frantic and a little more calm in the middle. I've not seen much of that confidence in a City side for a long while. Ultimately that measured and very adult performance paid off with a couple of good goals.

I'm pretty sure WBA went to 4 at the back in the second half and that plus some better intensity meant we weren't as able to control the pitch. The first 3 subs also definitely took us down a level or two. Not to the point of making us bad, and perhaps Martin's nous was preferable at that stage to Semenyo's buzzing energy, but we lost that little spark we'd had.

Regardless, the game was won by that late stage and WBA's heads were gone. Our defending was very solid - I'd go Klose MOTM over Vyner personally - and O'Leary dealt well with anything the defence missed.

An incredibly professional and mature performance.

5 hours ago, Olé said:

Dasilva, Scott and Martin showed amazing awareness and close control to win an endless succession of throw ins and free kicks by the corner flag 

This was great to see. Much, much more of this sort of canny play is needed if we're ever going to challenge at the top. As good as a goal in many ways.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Olé said:

After a collapse in form since returning from the international break, City suddenly found their drive again to turn in an impressive all round performance away at the notoriously difficult Hawthorns. Though West Brom has been below par this campaign, it needed a complete performance to frustrate plans of a resurgence and Pearson's side delivered it, surprisingly dominating the first half and creating by far the best chances to roar in front, then defending like lives depended on it second half, closing every single door and giving away fans everything to sing about.

Joe Williams, a non stop bundle of energy in best ever City form, bundled in the deserved first from Jay DaSilva's low centre, and then  before half time two, as constant nuisance Antoine Semenyo ran onto a left wing break and found room to whip in a vicious cross at the top corner, Nahki Wells glancing in front of the keeper to steer in. Fresh from the win Saturday, West Brom poured foward in the second half but tireless City matched every step - closing down passing lanes, clearing crosses and so frustrating the Baggies they were reduced to appealing for everything.

It was the away side who rallied right from the start. In seconds Alex Scott threaded Semenyo down the right channel in the first attack of the game, storming into the box to force a corner. A minute later a direct ball from keeper Max O'Leary put Wells clean through but with just the keeper to beat he miscued under pressure from the defender. West Brom barely settled but contrived their first chances after five minutes which were easily blocked given City's compact shape without the ball, offering the hosts little sight of goal and comfortable intercepting play.

Dasilva's awful miscontrol out of play on the left touchline with teammates upfield looked to be more of the same out of form football from the wing back and offered little clue of the impending impact he'd have. Conversely Mark Sykes did very well to go clear down the right and should have forced a corner - while at the midway point of the half man of the match Zak Vyner, taking on long passes his colleagues shyed away from, dropped a shoulder and beat a marauding fullback to lift into midfield where Scott won a free kick while breaking decisively down the middle.

City had easily shaded the exchanges and had the better of the midfield - a rarity up at the Hawthorns - and after half an hour they edged in front. The visitors somehow kept a break ticking over in midfield long enough to pick out Wells sprinting clear down the right channel and although his deep cross was over everyone, Dasilva had time to recover on the left and return it low and hard to the six yard box where Williams turned in. Away fans packed into the far corner had already dominated the noise and now they would be in full control, roaring their endless approval.

Inside five minutes left in the half and easily West Brom's best move of the fixture was worked well down their left (the City right) - an overlap got them to the byline and into the box to cut back for the onrushing Matt Phillips who seemed certain to score only to hammer miles over. And before the break it was two for City. Dasilva kept a move going on the left and allowed Semenyo to drop a shoulder and make room for a vicious cross out on the left touchline that lasered into the far top corner, Wells glancing header made sure and had the away end in pandemonium. 

Inevitably City would now need to weather a storm in the second half and did so with so much conviction the hosts pleaded with the referee for any decision that may give them a chance. Rob Atkinson cleared behind after the Baggies carved a path right through the middle and home fans waved furiously for a handball - instead a first burst of corners all dealt with. At the other end Wells did a fine job screening the ball so that Semenyo had time to send Dasilva cutting inside into the box but with Wells overlapping into the six yard box Dasilva overhit yet another pass.

It was mainly all West Brom - and yet more corners to deal with - as well as a relatively sparse home crowd continuing to appeal in vein, frustrated at how easily City won every ball or blocked every cross. Past the hour mark and the visitors could not have been more professional, Timm Klose and Sykes among the players winning and retrieving possession at every time of asking - then on the break it should have been 3. Vyner cut the ball out brilliantly with a last gasp sliding tackle and City fed Wells down the right who slipped Semenyo into the box to drill just over. 

At the midway point of the second period Dasilva had to clear off the line after Conor Townsend broke down the left and crossed into the middle for Brandon Thomas-Asante to flick his header goalwards toward the far corner, O'Leary pushing onto the woodwork. By now City were clinging on, but roared on by a one-sided and boisterous away end it spurred the visiting players - who continued to head everything clear and race to close down and block passing and shooting lanes into the box. Away fans were in full voice as Weimann and Martin entered as reinforcements. 

By now it was clear to most fans that it was a game City had full control of and were not about to surrender. Visiting defenders were on top form winning first balls, crowding the attackers into dead ends or simply ushering opponents into difficult positions to concede goal kicks, much to the hosts frustration. In the 86th another series of corners saw Dara O'Shea well teed up in the box only to blast miles over and send home fans heading for the exit. Tomas Kalas and Tommy Conway entered for the brilliant Wells and Sykes and in truth this was enough for City to settle in.

With away fans a wall of noise as Baggies fans slunk to the exits, the visitors enjoyed a crazy several minutes of injury time as right in front of their massed ranks, Dasilva, Scott and Martin showed amazing awareness and close control to win an endless succession of throw ins and free kicks by the corner flag  - demoralising already beaten hosts. Before full time, with City bundling away absolutely everything thrown their way, West Brom produced their best chance, Jed Wallace finally given a yard of space edge of the box to send a dipping shot onto the woodwork.

But with City supporters to a man bellowing their support, this was a result and display which belonged to only one team. Pearson's men have been short of their best since the international break and at times their will to win has been questioned. But out of the blue this is arguably among their most complete performances of the season - at Blackburn they were at their most fluent attacking best but facing a more direct side tonight it was a more rounded display that owed as much to organisation and determination to deny chances endlessly around their own box.

O'Leary 8

Vyner 9

Klose 8

Atkinson 7

Sykes 9

Dasilva 7

James 8

Williams 8

Scott 8

Semenyo 9

Wells 8

Weimann 6

Martin 7

King 6

Conway 6

Kalas 6 

Olé! ?

• Like 2

Great report as always @Olé

I was stood near you (worked out which one was you) and am amazed by your attention to detail. More so as I expected you to be making copious notes during the game but that’s clearly not what you do.

I too thought the second one had gone straight in. Not always keen to watch the goals again after City away games but definitely looking forward to seeing last night’s again.

• Like 1

Just now, MrBibs said:

Great report as always @Olé

I was stood near you (worked out which one was you) and am amazed by your attention to detail. More so as I expected you to be making copious notes during the game but that’s clearly not what you do.

I too thought the second one had gone straight in. Not always keen to watch the goals again after City away games but definitely looking forward to seeing last night’s again.

We seem to be the only game missing on the Sky highlights round up.

Thanks @Olé, usual great report. 

I’m with you on Vyner as MoM: he’s been probably our most consistent defender this season, if not outstanding, but last night I felt he took it to another level and was exceptional.

You have to say that we had our fair share of luck last night - something that’s often deserted us of late. Just things like those little 50/50s falling our way, the bounce of the ball favouring us etc. Although I’d recognise that you make your luck.

First game for ages where we’ve controlled midfield and played through it. And that was entirely down to formation, not individuals. We actually had a presence in there, and options when we had the ball.

Hopefully the Semenyo injury isn’t too bad: that performance will boost his confidence. What a shot. (I only realised it hadn’t gone straight in because of the WBA appeals for offside - and even from our end it was clear that Antoine wasn’t offside). 

And I still can’t be that song about Mark Sykes and his magic feet out of my mind! 

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A word also in praise of the referee, Robert Madley. Some refs, (cough) Keith Stroud (cough), would have caved to the numerous second half penalty appeals from the Baggies fans behind the goal but he calmly, firmly and correctly turned them all down. Thought he had a good game overall. 

Edited by Rudolf Hucker
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

As always, Ole, my thanks for your report. Apart from the magnificent 1976 win, I've only ever seen negative results from visits to the Hawthorns. Only there via TV last night but what a good all round performance.

I won't pick anyone out, as it's a team game. All played their part. However I will say that one of our wing backs is showing real signs of developing his game at both ends of the pitch whereas the other is still far too inconsistent. 

Three points from an away match with the Baggies. I won't get carried away but if we continue in this vein, upper mid table will be less strain on the heart.

• Like 2

Agree with Vyner, excellent game - I personally felt Atkinson was my MOTM (7 harsh IMO), won so much in air, blocks, also got forwards again at times well - thought Klose despite having a good game gave away quite a few fouls.

Anyone with any access to stats to the game @Davefevs - be able to give any defensive stats please?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

The fact so many players have been nominated for MOM says it all in that it was a superb team performance.  Shout out to the support who to a person were behind the team as when you see the effort like that, how could you not respond. Apart from traffic was a top day out.

@Olégood to meet you and SCP will come again.

• Like 1

Great win and great support last night.  Bit hoarse today though.  

As others have said, I thought that was a great goal from Semenyo last night, but even though it wasn’t his and Nakhi put it in, from where I was standing, he pretty much made that happen.  Picked up the ball, went past or around 3 players, and smashed in an excellent shot that turned out to be a cross.  Seeing it on replay, Nakhi did get a critical touch, great goal. 

Agree about the defence, all played brilliantly.  Not sure about Vyner as MOM however, although he was very good, even won his fair share of headers which has been a weakness in his game.  Klose for me is the key to the way that defence plays, his organisation is pretty critical along with his reading of the game and general calmness and authority.  Atkinson also made some vital interceptions, though I did think the ref did well.not to give a penalty against him for handball.  

Bit harsh on JD I think.  He’s come in for quite a ,or of stick recently but I think he’s important to the way we play, and he does make things happen, getting us out of tight spots, making space and releasing other players as he did last night.. Involved in both of the goals, and generally played really well, bar the odd bit of miscontrol.  Also defended solidly, and his last ditch tackle was important in preventing a goal.  Sykes had a good game too, but that end product is still too rare. 

Midfield played much better than I have seen for a while.  Good to see Matty James back, but the most important difference in there looked to be Scott who played that 10 role intelligently and gave us more control, especially first half.  Brilliant to see Joe get his goal, just kept going and going which is some progress as has his third game In quick succession .

MoM for me, Semenyo.  He was a menace until he went off second half, causing them all sorts of problems.  

1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

It could have been down to the amount of crosses and corners West Brom put into the box but I felt very confident in watching Max coming out and punching almost all of them.

Seemed to command his box slightly more than Bentley does.

He does indeed - he just needs to get a bit more distance on those punches. Too many of them fall to the edge of the box.

1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Highlight of the game for me was Matty James not knowing how a drop ball works ?

That was funny, wasn't it! I assumed he was told to kick it back to the WBA keeper, but he just stood with it at his feet so another Albion player ran up and took it off him!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

As always, Ole, my thanks for your report. Apart from the magnificent 1976 win, I've only ever seen negative results from visits to the Hawthorns. Only there via TV last night but what a good all round performance.

I won't pick anyone out, as it's a team game. All played their part. However I will say that one of our wing backs is showing real signs of developing his game at both ends of the pitch whereas the other is still far too inconsistent. 

Three points from an away match with the Baggies. I won't get carried away but if we continue in this vein, upper mid table will be less strain on the heart.

Not sure which one is which, but…I thought Sykes had his best game in a City shirt besides his debut at Hull.

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Agree with Vyner, excellent game - I personally felt Atkinson was my MOTM (7 harsh IMO), won so much in air, blocks, also got forwards again at times well - thought Klose despite having a good game gave away quite a few fouls.

Anyone with any access to stats to the game @Davefevs - be able to give any defensive stats please?

Wyscout yet to update…so many things I want to look at to conclude my thoughts in last night, e.g.

Max’s kick direction

Atkinson’s headers

West Brom’s crosses (and do they resemble ours v Coventry)

James touches

etc

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure which one is which, but…I thought Sykes had his best game in a City shirt besides his debut at Hull.

From games I’ve seen , I’d agree Dave, his defensive work was calm

Jay possibly had his best game too

I thought that they were far less ‘guns ho’ in ventures forward last night (My philosophy is , as a rule your wing backs should very rarely get ahead of the ball , other than an overlap, and I thought they did that last night , progressed up the pitch generally in sync with the ball , and didn’t leave big holes for sides to counter as easily)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

From games I’ve seen , I’d agree Dave, his defensive work was calm

Jay possibly had his best game too

I thought that they were far less ‘guns ho’ in ventures forward last night (My philosophy is , as a rule your wing backs should very rarely get ahead of the ball , other than an overlap, and I thought they did that last night , progressed up the pitch generally in sync with the ball , and didn’t leave big holes for sides to counter as easily)

Our philosophies are aligned.

Jay looked hungry.

• Like 1