IGNORED

Pearson

daored

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

A) caps yes, but you know full well that these caps dwarf English championship football finances.  

B) You seriously believe that Johnson or Holden would have built this squad or a comparable one under the same massive constraints? Says it all…

And why do you have an issue that people praise Pearson for the work he is doing? If anything is ‘odd’ then getting pissed off about that is certainly right up there, especially as you claim to have no issue with him. 

Because they are comparable to the Premier League not the championship. There are still decisions you have to make for financial reason which you can’t really say for the top level of football. It is pretty simple either way. There is a limit on spending and once you get close you can’t spend more. 

Again, you have taken a comment and twisted it to something it is not. I said it it was Holden and Johnson and we were say 15th would you be saying they haven’t had money to spend so it is ok? I don’t think anyone would. 

I have no issue with praising NP. Go for it. All I ever said is I have enough questions that I am saving any praise for another day. Which should be a normal forum comment but on here you have to go with the popular opinion. Is what it is. 

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I am focusing on the negative because the thread was a praise thread. If it was a negative thread I might have pinpointed some positives(unlikely ?) but yea just defending my thoughts on him. If I made a list of pros and cons on my feelings about NP the lists would probably be close to equal. I am undecided on him. Most are convinced. 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This was the season to NOT go for it….this season ends the cycle for FFP where we have our worst compliance position.  And we haven’t gone for it for that exact reason.  3 free transfers plus one for small compensation.  Not one team recruited less than us (Cov / Norwich 4 each too).

No not go for it as in spend money. Go for it as the squad will likely be worse off next summer. 

11 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Hang on , earlier you were criticising him , saying he chops and changes ....make your mind up

Players aren’t always consistent or in form.    #shocker  

As for your last line - If individuals aren’t in form , or performing in any given 90mins , or in several games running , in a system we’ve , and they’ve used , continually , how is that down to him ?

And what did you want him to do about those out of form or not performing ?

Blindly persist , or make changes ?

Idk it seems as if he’ll blindly persist with some and change others after one subpar performance. I have said chop and change probably wrong term. I don’t think he is solving the problems in the right way. 

For example, Brum away. It was predictable. He needed to use King in an emergency against Coventry. Ok fair enough and it worked out. It should have been a one off but he put him out there again and we got humbled. Then for the next game he made 4 changes when it was probably as simple as bringing Klose in. Then we are poor against Millwall and there are more changes. So what was it? Why was it good enough for Preston but not Millwall? Why not just say it is a bad day at the office and give them another go?

You can’t play the same lot for 46 games I get that but there does not seem to be any formula to it. You can see a Sykes Dasilva or Weimann be off it for 4-5 games in a row and play again. Then you can see a Wells or Conway off it for a half and they are hooked. This team that played last night, I’d like to see them pretty much unchanged for a bit to see if they can grow into it more. Not 3 changes if it is a loss on Saturday. I don’t see how you can get any cohesion when you are in and out.

3 hours ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Look at the whole of the Championship, there isn't one consistent team amongst them.

If anyone was remotely consistent they'd be breezing this division, anyone can beat anyone. We got picked apart by QPR, they got beat by Luton, we beat Luton with ten men for almost half an hour and deservedly so.

Bipolar fanbase, bipolar Bristol City performances in a bipolar division. 

Plenty of ups and downs, wouldn't be football if it was all plain-sailing and easy.

I read last night probably on here somewhere that the bottom team (Coventry) have lost less games than the team coming top (blackburn)  this season 

3 hours ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

We got picked apart by QPR, they got beat by Luton, we beat Luton with ten men for almost half an hour and deservedly so.

Yet worth remembering just how good we were v Luton 1st half in particular and after a little bit of retrenchment, again 11 v 11 2nd half.

While QPR picked us apart, we gave Luton a bit of a chasing until the red for Sykes and the unpunished foul on Sykes or unpunished red for Freeman.- a Luton who have beaten QPR and Blackburn so far. Complete performance in many ways until Sykes sent off.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

You can’t play the same lot for 46 games I get that but there does not seem to be any formula to it. You can see a Sykes Dasilva or Weimann be off it for 4-5 games in a row and play again. Then you can see a Wells or Conway off it for a half and they are hooked. This team that played last night, I’d like to see them pretty much unchanged for a bit to see if they can grow into it more. Not 3 changes if it is a loss on Saturday. I don’t see how you can get any cohesion when you are in and out.

But we don’t know the reasons , other than obvious reasons like injury 

Pearson explained the other day , although it went largely unnoticed , how different players need treating differently / individually in terms of loss of form 

He used Weimann as an example saying that he is one who needs to play to try and regain it - he’s done that , and eventually decided a change is needed

He will also have persisted with him because as he highlighted , even off form AW will give you commitment and energy, he will give you something , where others , struggle to contribute if off form

I said I wouldn’t have persisted with Jay last night but maybe he’s another one who needs to keep playing 

He clearly is not keen to start Pring or Tanner , which to many , including me may seem a bit baffling - but you can be sure he will have his reasons

Im not suggesting whether he is or not , but maybe Nahki is one who occasionally needs ‘challenging’ regularly , or fired up with a point to prove , to get the best out of him

Again , only as an example , without any slur or knowledge , Maybe Tommy was getting a bit too confident of his place and standing 

So many things will influence his selections

I don’t always agree with his choices , but I do trust him to have made them with thought and for what he believes are the right reasons 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

You quote Preston and Luton and you are right on one level , that is how our future will look like , plus add in youth development. Where I don’t agree is that they have been doing this for years . We have not . We have had to halve a wage bill and are still paying out a quarter or more of our playing budget on 4 players due to the historic situation that is not worth going over again . When finally we can clear space in our budget to recruit a squad with more evenly and realistic  wages for the revised reality , we can then see progress . He has had resources in terms of wage bill yes , but has not had much flexibility in how that has been spent . it was pre spent on existing contracts . Next season is the start of the comprehensive reset of the overall squad , and it will follow a similar approach to Preston and Luton .  the club will be in a far better health and potentially on the right road again . I do agree that next summer , if Pearson is involved in that reshape he should commit to seeing the new phase through . Or it could be time for a change . We would not be the basket case of the last few years and could attract people that have run a mile these last years . But generally I am  underwhelmed by the quality of candidates that come up every time we search for a new coach and I much prefer the connected up one club approach that is being created by Pearson . 

However , even that means nothing if recruitment is not up to it and there are enough questions still to ask  in that direction as some good posters have commented on. This concerns me far more than a discussion about Pearson . He himself has stated on multiple occasions this is the key area ( maybe obvious ) of any successful club . It is the one off the field area we have seen the least obvious upgrade . 

Great post. Love the point about Preston and Luton and something to think about as they have been doing it at that level far longer than we have. I think we can do what they do but better as SL is willing to use all of the FFP room. Does not mean we have to or should but should mean we can get more first choice players than they do. 

I do feel that by season’s end we need to figure out our future with NP either way. This summer is another to build and we will have more resources to sign players. This does not necessarily mean transfer fees but we will need to either resign quite a few OOC or sign replacements. So if the club is fully behind Pearson we can’t let him go into next season with just that year left on his deal. Think it maybe leaves the club in limbo to an extent. 

• Hmmm 2

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

But we don’t know the reasons , other than obvious reasons like injury 

Pearson explained the other day , although it went largely unnoticed , how different players need treating differently / individually in terms of loss of form 

He used Weimann as an example saying that he is one who needs to play to try and regain it - he’s done that , and eventually decided a change is needed

He will also have persisted with him because as he highlighted , even off form AW will give you commitment and energy, he will give you something , where others , struggle to contribute if off form

I said I wouldn’t have persisted with Jay last night but maybe he’s another one who needs to keep playing 

He clearly is not keen to start Pring or Tanner , which to many , including me may seem a bit baffling - but you can be sure he will have his reasons

Im not suggesting whether he is or not , but maybe Nahki is one who occasionally needs ‘challenging’ regularly , or fired up with a point to prove , to get the best out of him

Again , only as an example , without any slur or knowledge , Maybe Tommy was getting a bit too confident of his place and standing 

So many things will influence his selections

I don’t always agree with his choices , but I do trust him to have made them with thought and for what he believes are the right reasons 

Here speaketh someone with experience of the professional game. ???

48 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What you're basically suggesting is that short of relegation or a catastrophic slide...

"Hey NP!

"You kept us up twice, arguably thrice if we include the last few months of 2020-21, and how serious a risk relegation was- a matter of debate that bit.

"You cut significantly the wage and amortisation bill while so doing.

"While season on season, the style of play improved and in some cases so did the baseline performance numbers.

"While blooding youth, which helped us both in the present and potentially the future, either on field or with major fees to reinvest.

"Vyner, DaSilva, Wells all got a fresh lease of life under your tenure and Weimann had a dream season when deployed correctly!

"Now we have some money to spend...yeah someone else can spend it despite a number of good signings under huge constraints on your part!"

Okay I'm simplifying and exaggerating a bit but if he fulfils that remit as he seems on course to, then he truly deserves a chance under easier conditions! More pressure of course but he would know it. In fact he'd probably welcome it!

Nice one Mr P.  This was exactly my response to a recent FBC pod where they were asked would they trust Nige to spend the Scott and Semenyo money.  The pod response was pretty much no.  My response was pretty much identical to yours.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Here speaketh someone with experience of the professional game. ???

Nice one Mr P.  This was exactly my response to a recent FBC pod where they were asked would they trust Nige to spend the Scott and Semenyo money.  The pod response was pretty much no.  My response was pretty much identical to yours.

The question for me is does Nige want to carry on?

He’s had Covid twice and is approaching 60, maybe he wants to retire, he’s already said there are aspects of the game he doesn’t like, agents, refs etc.

2 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

He’s had Covid twice and is approaching 60, maybe he wants to retire, he’s already said there are aspects of the game he doesn’t like, agents, refs etc.

I guess that’s a different question and answer.  I’ve often said I see him handing over the reins / reigns / rains and someone else being the one to take us up.

• Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Because they are comparable to the Premier League not the championship. There are still decisions you have to make for financial reason which you can’t really say for the top level of football. It is pretty simple either way. There is a limit on spending and once you get close you can’t spend more. 

Again, you have taken a comment and twisted it to something it is not. I said it it was Holden and Johnson and we were say 15th would you be saying they haven’t had money to spend so it is ok? I don’t think anyone would. 

I have no issue with praising NP. Go for it. All I ever said is I have enough questions that I am saving any praise for another day. Which should be a normal forum comment but on here you have to go with the popular opinion. Is what it is. 

I am focusing on the negative because the thread was a praise thread. If it was a negative thread I might have pinpointed some positives(unlikely ?) but yea just defending my thoughts on him. If I made a list of pros and cons on my feelings about NP the lists would probably be close to equal. I am undecided on him. Most are convinced. 

No not go for it as in spend money. Go for it as the squad will likely be worse off next summer. 

Idk it seems as if he’ll blindly persist with some and change others after one subpar performance. I have said chop and change probably wrong term. I don’t think he is solving the problems in the right way. 

For example, Brum away. It was predictable. He needed to use King in an emergency against Coventry. Ok fair enough and it worked out. It should have been a one off but he put him out there again and we got humbled. Then for the next game he made 4 changes when it was probably as simple as bringing Klose in. Then we are poor against Millwall and there are more changes. So what was it? Why was it good enough for Preston but not Millwall? Why not just say it is a bad day at the office and give them another go?

agree with a lot of your points

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

For all the protestations from some that they ‘don’t rate Pearson’ as a continual theme ,

but ‘really want him to do well here’ ,

that simply doesn’t ring very solid or genuine

Theres a noticeable few, for example ,  for whom Pearson was in their sights from the moment he signed Danny Simpson and ever since only have criticism at every opportunity

Especially one who is doing his best to hide his true feeling of nige at the moment , but not that long ago was dishing out a character assassination of the bloke. What still bugs me is the fact some won’t or can’t process how much shit we were in (still are) behind the scenes when he took over . He’s has & is improving us. There will be dips in results & performances , it’s inevitable . He’s turned us around while slashing the wage bill & reducing numbers in the squad. One or two on here doesn’t want to hear that though. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

I don’t think he signed his current contract not intending to honour it.

That means he will be out of contract at the end of next season & if he’s still here, will then be amongst the longest serving managers in the FL.

Whether he continues beyond then will depend on numerous factors, some of which have already been mentioned, his health, how well we’ve done & whether he wants to continue.

Impossible to know this far away from ‘24 how it will pan out.

• Thanks 1

NP is already the 5th longest serving manager of a current Championship club - that's a scary fact in itself.

Personally, I see him being here for a good few years.

As to what he does and doesn't like NP is and always has been his own man.

All I've heard is that he is enjoying his time in Bristol.  From my view long may it continue!

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

Changing the side isn’t something Nige does unless he has to. Thankfully he’s no LJ.

He’s very thoughtful particularly when it comes to individual players. Take last night, AW was in the bench a move that very few of us saw coming. Nige explained that he felt the team needed refreshing and that AW had played virtually every min of the season so far but could on later in the game.

He also takes into consideration the pressure and impact of the Championship on the younger players and Conway, nor HNM  have started in recent games - Nige is managing their well being and acts as a father figure to them. I’m sure they’ll both be back before too long.

Nige really is a very professional and proper manager and we are fortunate to have 

Edited by fairweather
Inappropriate

2 minutes ago, fairweather said:

What does his cock taste like Robbo?

Shame on you.

That really is not funny; rather, it is unbecoming of this forum and demeaning of your own status as a poster.

I can only hope that tomorrow, when you wake up and sober up, you reflect and apologise - if your post is still here.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Think I heard that Mick Beale (currently) at QPR is the 10th longest serving. He was appointed in June.

image.thumb.png.f1c5d2658231564ea936210eb2ee824b.png

Both Ince and Richardson had caretaker spells, so would be longer if I included them.

Question: should I change Nige’s start date?  Was he really caretaker or classed at short-term / temporary?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t think he signed his current contract not intending to honour it.

That means he will be out of contract at the end of next season & if he’s still here, will then be amongst the longest serving managers in the FL.

Whether he continues beyond then will depend on numerous factors, some of which have already been mentioned, his health, how well we’ve done & whether he wants to continue.

Impossible to know this far away from ‘24 how it will pan out.

I have no doubt he signed his contract intending to honour it, however the fact remains that his health has suffered in the intervening time, as has his dislike of some aspects of the pro game.

I also have no doubt that if he decides not to renew he will tell the club well before the end of his contract, so the club will need to appoint someone possibly in the January or possibly sooner, I would expect contract extension talks to take place at the end of the current season if the club wants him to remain, and for Nige to tell the club if he wishes to continue in a similar timeframe.

If Nige decided to retire a year earlier having laid the foundations for a more professional attitude at the club I don’t think anyone, club or supporters would do anything other than wish him well.

14 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

I have no doubt he signed his contract intending to honour it, however the fact remains that his health has suffered in the intervening time, as has his dislike of some aspects of the pro game.

I also have no doubt that if he decides not to renew he will tell the club well before the end of his contract, so the club will need to appoint someone possibly in the January or possibly sooner, I would expect contract extension talks to take place at the end of the current season if the club wants him to remain, and for Nige to tell the club if he wishes to continue in a similar timeframe.

If Nige decided to retire a year earlier having laid the foundations for a more professional attitude at the club I don’t think anyone, club or supporters would do anything other than wish him well.

Entitled to your view, but just don’t see it.

I would be amazed if he retired at the end of the season, so unless results fall off a cliff I expect him to be in charge next season, as I said before, his contract still has 18 months to run, there’s absolutely no need for any conversation about an extension this summer, either.

Succession planning in the form of Euell & King is already being put in place, in my opinion.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Entitled to your view, but just don’t see it.

I would be amazed if he retired at the end of the season, so unless results fall off a cliff I expect him to be in charge next season, as I said before, his contract still has 18 months to run, there’s absolutely no need for any conversation about an extension this summer, either.

Succession planning in the form of Euell & King is already being put in place, in my opinion.

I don’t see it either Graham - Nige is doing a cracking job especially given the shambles that he inherited and he strikes me that he’s not a guy who’d walk away from what is a three year contract, or project if you prefer.

Whether or not he extends his deal really is a moot point.

Apologies if it’s been posted elsewhere , but NPs pre Reading chat

Any of the posters who don’t get Pearson or why (thankfully) the majority are behind him need to listen to him , and watch him

Calmly , thoughtfully , relaxed , realistic , level headed , with some real sensible answers and explanations to questions 

Some of his answers are simply brilliant , and brilliant in their simplicity they are , no waffle or bull****

A Manager comfortable in his role and , the current function or otherwise of the squad , and awareness of what needs improvement

Genius or Messiah , unlikely , not many are in life , but boy is it refreshing and comforting to have such a wise , calm , experienced captain of the ship

We are lucky to have him , whatever the whiners say

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

On 19/10/2022 at 11:06, JoeAman08 said:

Let’s slow down. For me he chops and changes far too much and he eventually gets a response. The lack of consistency still plagues the team well into his tenure. Last night was great but it was one game against a side low on confidence. I remain unconvinced with NP. 

Look at all that chopping and changing in todays line up. Unacceptable.

On 19/10/2022 at 11:06, JoeAman08 said:

Let’s slow down. For me he chops and changes far too much and he eventually gets a response. The lack of consistency still plagues the team well into his tenure. Last night was great but it was one game against a side low on confidence. I remain unconvinced with NP. 

Are we really forgetting Lee 'Tombola' Johnson who would drop players randomly who had a good game?

54 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Are we really forgetting Lee 'Tombola' Johnson who would drop players randomly who had a good game?

I have explained in others posts already it was the wrong words for how I felt. In my view NP will make changes until he gets a result. He will not change his plans much instead putting it all on the players. Today is an example. Unchanged and rightly so. Down 1-0 as we speak and from I can tell not the best game from us. I’d like to see this group go again though rather than 2-3 changes as I feel it stops relationships from forming to their maximum potential. NP has a set 5-6 players he will let play regardless and everyone else is in then out. How I see it

3 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Any manager at any other club. He’s gone. It’s time to go.

Not getting the best out of this squad and it’s actually embarrassing how bad we are at defending set pieces. 

Would you rather have four draws from the last four games or two wins and two draws? I know what I’d prefer. We’re inconsistent, accept it and support the City.

Edited by tin
  • Like 9