IGNORED

Pearson

daored

• Admin
11 minutes ago, daored said:

Feel he deserves his own thread , wasn’t the team selection I expected but collectively and individually we were excellent. It just goes to show when we have most players available we’re not a bad side. James & Klose were excellent, O’Leary had a good game and come off his line to collect or punch the ball. Let’s not forget the management / players would have been gutted to lose in the way we did Saturday, but what a response 

Valid points but the poor opposition added a boost too

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

West Brom are not a poor side but one that, despite last Saturdays win at Reading, is one lacking in confidence with players not performing to their abilities. They are a team full of players who would walk into almost any other side in the division including ours. There are plenty on here who would have loved the likes of Jonathan Swift and Jed Wallace (to name but two) here but always knew it was unlikely. We deserved the win last night because we never let them settle or establish a rhythm and pestered them into mistakes. They won a lot of corners but we looked solid all evening. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, phantom said:

Valid points but the poor opposition added a boost too

Swift, Diagana, Phillips, Jed Wallace, even Livermore. All players who at the start of the season would be far above the level of player we could afford/attract to this football club. 

They look rudderless as a team yes, but all of those players would get in our team. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Swift, Diagana, Phillips, Jed Wallace, even Livermore. All players who at the start of the season would be far above the level of player we could afford/attract to this football club. 

They look rudderless as a team yes, but all of those players would get in our team. 

Personally I disagree on Phillips and Livermore. I think both are well past their best and I wouldn’t want either in my team. 
I also wouldn’t take their keeper. 
Plus 2 of their centre backs last night are also way past their best - Pieters & Kelly. 
Then Gardner-Hickman in midfield has a helluva lot to prove to me to be considered a good champ level player. 

Yes, Swift, Wallace, Diangana, Townsend, O’Shea are all good players, but this is not a dominant WBA team of the past. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Let’s slow down. For me he chops and changes far too much and he eventually gets a response. The lack of consistency still plagues the team well into his tenure. Last night was great but it was one game against a side low on confidence. I remain unconvinced with NP. 

The discussion has been done to death but imho he is as good as (actually well above) what we can expect to get in our current situation.  Who would you get to come in? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Let’s slow down. For me he chops and changes far too much and he eventually gets a response. The lack of consistency still plagues the team well into his tenure. Last night was great but it was one game against a side low on confidence. I remain unconvinced with NP. 

I don't agree at all with this. We've played a broadly consistent formation all season - with one positional change last night. Seven players - Sykes, Vyner, Naismith, Atkinson, Dasilva, James and Scott - have started consistently when fit whilst another (Weimann) has only been dropped once plus Bentley was playing regularly until two weeks ago. Taking out injuries, that's nine consistent starters plus two from Wells, Semenyo and Conway.

I just cannot see how that can be described as chopping and changing. If anything, my criticism of Pearson is the precise opposite - a reluctance to change the formation when injuries have meant we've lacked the players we need to make it work. 

• Like 8
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, RedEyez said:

Completely disagree. He chops and changes when players underperform and deserve to be dropped, which gives someone else an opportunity to retain the shirt. Exactly the philosophy he said he would follow from day one. He does what he says and has an abundance of integrity. I really like that about him and I’m pleased he’s ours. 

Precisely. The alternative to "chopping and changing" is persisting with players who are out-of-form or tired, carrying a minor injury etc.

Bentley had several below par performances, then a shocker at Birmingham.  O'Leary deserves a chance, and despite an error of judgement against Millwall, has pretty much seized the opportunity.

Pearson gives fringe players hope that they can force their way into the team by good performances. Look at Vyner: his career here looked finished last season. This season, he got a chance and has arguably been our most consistent performer. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

top top manager well respected by majority of fan base..And blessed by owners who do not panic & respond to a poor run.  When we win not overboard, same when we lose.

Held in high esteem by many in the game, not least fans Leicester City.  As alluded when he can put out his best players in defence we are not that bad, a few errors have led to a loss of quite a few points, cut those out....

With respect, is this the same top top manager who has been sacked from multiple managerial posts over the past fifteen years, often after major fallings out with his club?  He may be held in high esteem by Leicester fans, but not sure who else of the clubs he has managed.  He has made some dreadful mistakes for us, and I wonder how many City fans were thinking he was a top top manager after our abject defeat on Saturday.  Ah, but it was ever the case: if we lose it’s the players fault; if we win it’s because of the brilliance of our top top manager.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see him succeed at City, but it’s been a frustrating journey of ups and downs so far, and I don’t think he’s yet earned top top manager status, nor even earned top manager status at the moment.   Fingers crossed though.

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

With respect, is this the same top top manager who has been sacked from multiple managerial posts over the past fifteen years, often after major fallings out with his club?  He may be held in high esteem by Leicester fans, but not sure who else of the clubs he has managed.  He has made some dreadful mistakes for us, and I wonder how many City fans were thinking he was a top top manager after our abject defeat on Saturday.  Ah, but it was ever the case: if we lose it’s the players fault; if we win it’s because of the brilliance of our top top manager.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see him succeed at City, but it’s been a frustrating journey of ups and downs so far, and I don’t think he’s yet earned top top manager status, nor even earned top manager status at the moment.   Fingers crossed though.

Who'd have thought that with the shit show he inherited...??!!

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Changing the side isn’t something Nige does unless he has to. Thankfully he’s no LJ.

He’s very thoughtful particularly when it comes to individual players. Take last night, AW was in the bench a move that very few of us saw coming. Nige explained that he felt the team needed refreshing and that AW had played virtually every min of the season so far but could on later in the game.

He also takes into consideration the pressure and impact of the Championship on the younger players and Conway, nor HNM  have started in recent games - Nige is managing their well being and acts as a father figure to them. I’m sure they’ll both be back before too long.

Nige really is a very professional and proper manager and we are fortunate to have him.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, lenred said:

The discussion has been done to death but imho he is as good as (actually well above) what we can expect to get in our current situation.  Who would you get to come in? 

And that is the key point isn’t it? We lose a game with a poor performance and the usual suspects come on here stating NP needs to go and that it’s all down to him that we lost or did not play well.

Maybe I have missed it but NOBODY has come up with a credible alternative.

I am certainly not picking on you @JoeAman08 as you are far from the only one but should SL fire the manager or, a far more likely scenario, NP walks away, who is on your list of possible replacements?

Serious question as I am genuinely interested in who you or anyone else thinks could / should replace NP, if that was to be required.

40 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Sorry to disagree phants..... West brom are a wounded animal at the moment and they show some class first half... Granted maybe not the WBA of old but still no mugs... 

I agree completely, there are no mugs in the Championship, habitual yo-yo club and whipping boys, Rotherham are making a damn good fist of it this season and I think they will stay up. 
The margins are wafer thin in this division, a lapse of concentration or a mistake and you are toast, 

Thrilling to watch, if stressful when it’s your own club playing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Apart from when he said he wanted us in the top six before the next international break. 
Globally I agree with you, NP has been around long enough not to get fooled. 

And he’d only say that if he knew we were capable. Hence why he’s been so pissed off with performances of that. He knows we’re better, which we’ve shown. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Completely disagree. He chops and changes when players underperform and deserve to be dropped, which gives someone else an opportunity to retain the shirt. Exactly the philosophy he said he would follow from day one. He does what he says and has an abundance of integrity. I really like that about him and I’m pleased he’s ours. 

He falls into good performances when he chops and changes. Expect it will be same squad on Saturday and if it is poor the next match he'll make changes again. You can’t expect consistent performances when you have the shirt for 2 games then out of team for 3. 

39 minutes ago, lenred said:

I did not say sack him I said unconvinced. I’d see where we are at seasons end. If bottom half again then I’d move him on and let someone else have the ability to bring in their players as we will have some room to sign players with all the ooc. At least half the division is struggling financially so it is not really a great excuse for keeping someone who is not working. 

37 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't agree at all with this. We've played a broadly consistent formation all season - with one positional change last night. Seven players - Sykes, Vyner, Naismith, Atkinson, Dasilva, James and Scott - have started consistently when fit whilst another (Weimann) has only been dropped once plus Bentley was playing regularly until two weeks ago. Taking out injuries, that's nine consistent starters plus two from Wells, Semenyo and Conway.

I just cannot see how that can be described as chopping and changing. If anything, my criticism of Pearson is the precise opposite - a reluctance to change the formation when injuries have meant we've lacked the players we need to make it work. 

See first response. He chops and changes gets a result and then 3 days later when we have a poor performance he changes 3-4 again. So maybe chop and change the wrong description but he does not allow for consistency. If he thinks this is his best XI then he should treat it that way. Our poor performances imo are on NP a lot of the time for me but he’ll use players as scapegoats. 

33 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Nonsense 

He gives those in the shirt the opportunity to retain it and challenges those without one to grab it when they get their chance

No one exempt , Bents , last years golden star Andi Weimann.....

Absolutely the way it should be

A fair percentage of his changes have been down to injury or availability 

About as far from LJ and his tinker man / tombola as you could wish for 

He isn’t better than LJ he just has less tools to chop and change with imo. A lot of the same things NP has been doing was things we crushed LJ for at the end. The problem isn’t changing 3-4 players. In my view NP is lacking tactically and therefore makes personnel switches rather than tactical ones. 

10 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

And that is the key point isn’t it? We lose a game with a poor performance and the usual suspects come on here stating NP needs to go and that it’s all down to him that we lost or did not play well.

Maybe I have missed it but NOBODY has come up with a credible alternative.

I am certainly not picking on you @JoeAman08 as you are far from the only one but should SL fire the manager or, a far more likely scenario, NP walks away, who is on your list of possible replacements?

Serious question as I am genuinely interested in who you or anyone else thinks could / should replace NP, if that was to be required.

No again, I am unconvinced. Not saying get rid right now. I would evaluate over this season and make a decision before the window opens or towards the end of the season. With money opening up from so many ooc and only a year to pay out if we moved on it would make sense to look at all options. I’d even say if you were keeping NP you’d almost have to give him a new contract at the end of the season. 

My main point here is I have doubts. Our highs are very high and our lows very low. We don’t seem to have a middle ground for me and that worries me. Outside of last night we can’t seem to put in a competent attacking and defensive display in the same game. I don’t expect perfection but for me we still seem a jumbled mess and I don’t know what to expect on a game to game basis from a performance stand point

Pearson changes players. Johnson changed systems.

Pearson has a smaller squad with fewer options. He's simplified things. Sometimes, when the 352 doesn't work or is let down by individual performances, he changes a player or 3 to compensate.

Johnson had so many clubs in his bag that when his busy bees lacked that little bit of quality he was able to switch to a 4222 magic box and back again. 

Both are reactive, both make changes, but the one we have now allows for consistency of system despite inconsistency of personnel. It's far superior as it actually allows an individual's failure to be a positive. They come out of the team, watch someone else play the same role and if that new player does better than there's a role model created. Retaining the same system allows the group as a whole to grow and develop within a known framework.

It's much better than lurching from formation to formation with no player knowing where they stand - literally and figuratively.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 6
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

So you expect him to pick the same team, same formation, when we’ve got games Weds, Sat, Tues? That’s madness. 

If ever the was a time to “chop and change”, it’s this season (and not for a moment do I think he chops and changes because he doesn’t have hardly many options to do so!)

Still, six points from three games in six days isn’t enough for some people. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 4

I have disagreed with some of his in game tactics recently but those who were calling for his head need to look at the bigger picture.

Financial constraints, a small squad, recent injuries to key players (Naismith, James, Kalas, Klose). Bedding in young and inexperienced players at this level (Conway, Scott, Sykes, Atkinson, Wilson). 

Pearson is doing an ok job, we're inconsistent but I think that is to be expected of our current side. I see it as a side in transition personally.

• Like 7