IGNORED

Pearson

daored

4 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Any manager at any other club. He’s gone. It’s time to go.

Not getting the best out of this squad and it’s actually embarrassing how bad we are at defending set pieces. 

But he was a ‘top top manager’ on Wednesday …

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

And I will ask the question again, although I don’t expect an answer, who do we replace him with?

What is the fascination with that question though? He can say Sean Dyche and will get he wouldn’t come to us. He could say Steve Bruce and get laughed at. He could say Steven Schumaker who has Plymouth top of League One and we’ll get not experienced. 

There is no rush to get rid of NP. However, as a club with premier league ambition, we should be monitoring the situation with other managers. With the amount of players ooc next summer and possible big sales of Scott and Semenyo the club needs to be 100% sure NP is the man to lead the club forward. I don't think as of now you can say that. I would not say he has been poor but I can say some of the same issues remain and that is concerning.

We don’t know what the club think. Every possibility NP was asked to stabilise this club during this tough time financially. That the club maybe wants a younger and hungrier manager but looked at it and said it was not the time. Perhaps next summer is looked at as a time for a fresh face. Or maybe we are frugal for one more season and let NP see us through. Maybe he will be seen as the man to take us to the premier league. For me, he needs to show more for that. Even with harsh finances I think he has good players at his disposal and he is not getting consistent enough performances to say he is overachieving. 4 points from playoffs spot 5 points from relegation spots with only 3 draws through a third of the season. That shows the inconsistency imo. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

What is the fascination with that question though? He can say Sean Dyche and will get he wouldn’t come to us. He could say Steve Bruce and get laughed at. He could say Steven Schumaker who has Plymouth top of League One and we’ll get not experienced. 

There is no rush to get rid of NP. However, as a club with premier league ambition, we should be monitoring the situation with other managers. With the amount of players ooc next summer and possible big sales of Scott and Semenyo the club needs to be 100% sure NP is the man to lead the club forward. I don't think as of now you can say that. I would not say he has been poor but I can say some of the same issues remain and that is concerning.

We don’t know what the club think. Every possibility NP was asked to stabilise this club during this tough time financially. That the club maybe wants a younger and hungrier manager but looked at it and said it was not the time. Perhaps next summer is looked at as a time for a fresh face. Or maybe we are frugal for one more season and let NP see us through. Maybe he will be seen as the man to take us to the premier league. For me, he needs to show more for that. Even with harsh finances I think he has good players at his disposal and he is not getting consistent enough performances to say he is overachieving. 4 points from playoffs spot 5 points from relegation spots with only 3 draws through a third of the season. That shows the inconsistency imo. 

I agree with much of this. I think the most important question of Pearson's reign here will be whether he leaves us in better shape than when he arrived. At the moment, I think he is doing that which is why I don't feel an anxiety to make a change. I think you are probably right that the club feel right now we need someone to steady the ship and rebuild the club, and that this is seen as the focus rather than the results on the pitch. 

I'd agree that he's not showing that he is the man to get us to the Premier League but I do think, under him and Gould, we are laying the foundations so that the next manager who comes in has a lean squad with young players gaining experience where - once our wage bill comes down and there is more space to develop the team - it becomes easier to identify and bring in the players we need to improve.

I think @Tafkarmlfis right in the SOD comparison but I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing - as long as our results don't free fall in the way they did under him. SOD did the unpleasant, knotty and unpopular work and, although he could not get the best out of the players, he left us in a position where a new manager could come in, bring in the right players and massively improve the team. That might also ultimately be Pearson's legacy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree with much of this. I think the most important question of Pearson's reign here will be whether he leaves us in better shape than when he arrived. At the moment, I think he is doing that which is why I don't feel an anxiety to make a change. I think you are probably right that the club feel right now we need someone to steady the ship and rebuild the club, and that this is seen as the focus rather than the results on the pitch. 

I'd agree that he's not showing that he is the man to get us to the Premier League but I do think, under him and Gould, we are laying the foundations so that the next manager who comes in has a lean squad with young players gaining experience where - once our wage bill comes down and there is more space to develop the team - it becomes easier to identify and bring in the players we need to improve.

I think @Tafkarmlfis right in the SOD comparison but I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing - as long as our results don't free fall in the way they did under him. SOD did the unpleasant, knotty and unpopular work and, although he could not get the best out of the players, he left us in a position where a new manager could come in, bring in the right players and massively improve the team. That might also ultimately be Pearson's legacy.

And Pearson himself has even admitted that might be his legacy. 

Personally I'd like to see Pearson move upstairs at some point. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Oh I agree he has changed the culture and feel around the club. He will have seen the club through very tough times and the club be stable. He will always get credit for that from me.

I just think football moves quickly and as much as being cynical can be quite harsh sometimes is necessary. I don’t think just because he has changed the culture and guided us through a tricky time means we can keep persisting with the inconsistency that plagues the team. I can’t guarantee someone would be doing better but I also can’t say NP is getting the most from the squad. For me he feels bang in the middle. That is why you keep him for this season. I think we should be pushing for a playoff spot with this squad. That means in the race for it with 3-4 games left. That would be overachieving but that is what I’d like to see to commit to him longer. 

• Confused 1

It’s the championship. Any side can beat any side. West Brom beat Reading….we beat West Brom and so on.  You got to be on it 100% or you get beat…The frustrating thing is NP was a tough hard uncompromising defender…yet our defence does not mirror that man… Gary Owers on radio today struck a valid point…Reading were horrible defending there box..pushing holding  and in your face…yet our zonal marking in similar was soft. Hence more ‘soft’ goals…

I am a great supporter of NP and he and the ‘staff’ must see this.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

When we are good we are very very good.............but when we are bad we are horrid !

Exactly (and that’s overlooking my typo about two draws when I meant two defeats). We ain’t going up, we ain’t going down. But we’re always in games, which can’t be said a lot in recent years. 

• Like 1

For the love of god give the guy a break, and be careful what you wish for. I get that the defence is not reliable, and I get the teams performances are variable. But lets be honest if we had anyone else at the helm we would be talking about the derby with the Gas being the high point of the season.  He's been dealt a horrible deck of cards with some terrible players on long term deals, and he's been bringing players from the lower leagues up, rather than the premier league down.  Give the guy a break, at least he's honest in his assessments and honest in taking the blame where its due.

:) Stay positive people

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I have explained in others posts already it was the wrong words for how I felt. In my view NP will make changes until he gets a result. He will not change his plans much instead putting it all on the players. Today is an example. Unchanged and rightly so. Down 1-0 as we speak and from I can tell not the best game from us. I’d like to see this group go again though rather than 2-3 changes as I feel it stops relationships from forming to their maximum potential. NP has a set 5-6 players he will let play regardless and everyone else is in then out. How I see it

Today, I think the subs were being lined up after a poor opening 5 minutes of the second half, and probably based on the logic of - we aren’t looking sharp, players had a hard night on Tuesday, I wrote in my notes at 50 mins “sloppy start to 2nd half from both sides”.  Williams had just not got onto a ball from Scott on the counter which led to the first of two corners from where they scored. He was probably waiting to see how far into the game he could go.  Semenyo and Wells had quiet games.  Seemed reasonable subs in the circumstances, but looked panicky as we conceded whilst they were being readied.  That happens.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Oh I agree he has changed the culture and feel around the club. He will have seen the club through very tough times and the club be stable. He will always get credit for that from me.

I just think football moves quickly and as much as being cynical can be quite harsh sometimes is necessary. I don’t think just because he has changed the culture and guided us through a tricky time means we can keep persisting with the inconsistency that plagues the team. I can’t guarantee someone would be doing better but I also can’t say NP is getting the most from the squad. For me he feels bang in the middle. That is why you keep him for this season. I think we should be pushing for a playoff spot with this squad. That means in the race for it with 3-4 games left. That would be overachieving but that is what I’d like to see to commit to him longer. 

There’s no way this squad goes from where it was to pushing for a playoff as “meeting expectations”.  That would be a huge over-achievement.  From last season and the ins and outs I think 16th and upwards is realistic (into the middle 8), 13th and upwards a good “stretch target” for end of season.  That’s taking into account our financial position, squad ability, etc.  We will have to adjust as we go into and out of January too.  Who knows what might happen following WC and the Jan window.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Any manager at any other club. He’s gone. It’s time to go.

Not getting the best out of this squad and it’s actually embarrassing how bad we are at defending set pieces. 

Changing a manager at Championship level time after time has no real benefit. We should be backing the manager and getting 'real' in terms of the money we have available (which is close to zero). 

Didn't we do quite well with a certain Alan Dicks, by hanging in there?

Didn't it take SIR Alex Ferguson 6 years (appointed in 86) to win the biggest prize in british football winning the prem. In fact ,I think it took him at least 3 years to win anything at all?

Get over it - we are currently a 12th to 14th League Table Championship Club and that's where we will be in May 23. Go and support someone else if you can't deal with the reality of our the current situation! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Today, I think the subs were being lined up after a poor opening 5 minutes of the second half, and probably based on the logic of - we aren’t looking sharp, players had a hard night on Tuesday, I wrote in my notes at 50 mins “sloppy start to 2nd half from both sides”.  Williams had just not got onto a ball from Scott on the counter which led to the first of two corners from where they scored. He was probably waiting to see how far into the game he could go.  Semenyo and Wells had quiet games.  Seemed reasonable subs in the circumstances, but looked panicky as we conceded whilst they were being readied.  That happens.

There’s no way this squad goes from where it was to pushing for a playoff as “meeting expectations”.  That would be a huge over-achievement.  From last season and the ins and outs I think 16th and upwards is realistic (into the middle 8), 13th and upwards a good “stretch target” for end of season.  That’s taking into account our financial position, squad ability, etc.  We will have to adjust as we go into and out of January too.  Who knows what might happen following WC and the Jan window.

I would take 13th - 16th. My concern is that the poor performances are stacking up and the bottom three is not as far away as our (false) 12th position suggests. Look at the points and games in hand, not at the position.

It's a weird league this year with so many quite even teams. That could spell big danger for one or two clubs who might not have gone down in a more normal season. We'll see. Be nice to get a couple of wins before the WC break. A poor four games and we'll have a month of fretting. I know I will be.

• Like 1

The key for me is what are our realistic expectations for the season?

Last season my expectation was 55 points and we got that exactly.  This season my expectation is 62 points, which would be just inside the top half most seasons.  My reason for this is that Pearson has had the chance to bring in more of his own players and build his own team so we should expect some improvement, but on the other hand we also have to take into account the small squad and the fact we are largely relying on younger players (who can't be expected to be consistent) and older players (who may not have the fitness to play every week).

If you pro rata our current points that would be 57 for the season, so slightly above last season but slightly below my target.  If we were to win against Swansea we'd be almost back on track.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I'm not convinced with Pearson's use of Subs. Many times he just throws on extra strikers, that rarely works, and quite often leaves players on that are clearly blowing out of their arse.
Today there had little or no service to the strikers, yet he just replaced them. I agreed with Pring coming on, though that should have been half time, Jay's crossing was awful. It did coincide with our decent spell, but that was more to do with them not having do do anything more than sit in and hit us on the break. 

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We veer from looking top six to bottom 6. I would say we should be able to finish top 10, but not knowing where our level is makes It hard. Some of the passing today was frightening , and not in a good way.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Changing a manager at Championship level time after time has no real benefit. We should be backing the manager and getting 'real' in terms of the money we have available (which is close to zero). 

Didn't we do quite well with a certain Alan Dicks, by hanging in there?

Didn't it take SIR Alex Ferguson 6 years (appointed in 86) to win the biggest prize in british football winning the prem. In fact ,I think it took him at least 3 years to win anything at all?

Get over it - we are currently a 12th to 14th League Table Championship Club and that's where we will be in May 23. Go and support someone else if you can't deal with the reality of our the current situation! 

I can’t support city because I don’t share your view about the current manager. Interesting sums you up more than me. 

He has made no improvement, nothing to do with money, we are one of the top scorers in the league. 

He’s signed his own back 4. Why are you happy to accept this? 

Joker

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

I can’t support city because I don’t share your view about the current manager. Interesting sums you up more than me. 

He has made no improvement, nothing to do with money, we are one of the top scorers in the league. 

He’s signed his own back 4. Why are you happy to accept this? 

Joker

his 2 main planned  defenders are crocked,one of them permanently,the other just warming up after a long lay off

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Disagree this is a largely experienced squad comparable to any in the division outside the parachute payment clubs. We have the fire power up front. Joe Williams and Matty James very experienced midfielders for this level. Kalas who is a experienced and has promotions on his cv. A player of the season from a playoff side just last season. A keeper in Bentley many would call one of the best in the division. There aren’t many sides in the league that have a strong 18 of starting calibre players. We aren’t different to any side that hasn’t been in the premier league recently. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Disagree this is a largely experienced squad comparable to any in the division outside the parachute payment clubs. We have the fire power up front. Joe Williams and Matty James very experienced midfielders for this level. Kalas who is a experienced and has promotions on his cv. A player of the season from a playoff side just last season. A keeper in Bentley many would call one of the best in the division. There aren’t many sides in the league that have a strong 18 of starting calibre players. We aren’t different to any side that hasn’t been in the premier league recently. 

Nail on the head. Too many people pushing this FFP agenda. 

We have a squad which on paper is tidy, we score more goals then 90% of teams. 

“Players had a hard night Tuesday”

Give me a break man ???

• Like 1

19 hours ago, firstdivision said:

I would take 13th - 16th. My concern is that the poor performances are stacking up and the bottom three is not as far away as our (false) 12th position suggests. Look at the points and games in hand, not at the position.

It's a weird league this year with so many quite even teams. That could spell big danger for one or two clubs who might not have gone down in a more normal season. We'll see. Be nice to get a couple of wins before the WC break. A poor four games and we'll have a month of fretting. I know I will be.

Yep, fair points, from a trending up position, we are slightly trending down at the mo’…although 2 wins in 4 is a nice plateau.  We are a very gentle log-flume ride at the mo’….no rapids yet, no big chain assisted rise to the peak.

18 hours ago, Loderingo said:

The key for me is what are our realistic expectations for the season?

Last season my expectation was 55 points and we got that exactly.  This season my expectation is 62 points, which would be just inside the top half most seasons.  My reason for this is that Pearson has had the chance to bring in more of his own players and build his own team so we should expect some improvement, but on the other hand we also have to take into account the small squad and the fact we are largely relying on younger players (who can't be expected to be consistent) and older players (who may not have the fitness to play every week).

If you pro rata our current points that would be 57 for the season, so slightly above last season but slightly below my target.  If we were to win against Swansea we'd be almost back on track.

No arguments there.

16 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think if you took the same approach for all 23 other clubs, ie put their best 18 on paper, we are about “where we are”.  I think you’d be surprised how competitive a lot of other Championship squads are!  Experience isn’t the be-all and end-all, power and pace is better imho.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, fair points, from a trending up position, we are slightly trending down at the mo’…although 2 wins in 4 is a nice plateau.  We are a very gentle log-flume ride at the mo’….no rapids yet, no big chain assisted rise to the peak.

No arguments there.

I think if you took the same approach for all 23 other clubs, ie put their best 18 on paper, we are about “where we are”.  I think you’d be surprised how competitive a lot of other Championship squads are!  Experience isn’t the be-all and end-all, power and pace is better imho.

Yep, two wins in four or seven points from eight games, which is relegation form. Depends how you look at it. Although I’m sure the fans of Huddersfield, Cardiff, Boro, Stoke, Blackpool, and Wigan will also be fretting. 
I think Cov and WBA will be fine. 

On 22/10/2022 at 18:34, tin said:

We ain’t going up, we ain’t going down. But we’re always in games

We could still yet go up or down. 17 games into a season and you know where we'll be in about another 25 games? As for always being in games- sorry but that is total bollax. 

On 22/10/2022 at 20:09, Tomo said:

There is quite a lot of this type of talk on here. If you don't like the way it is- go and support someone else. 

That's not how football works- but you cant even support OTIB so perhaps you dont go to any matches either which are considerably more expensive than £5?

I was struck by @RedM who after returning from the match at Reading described it as ( paraphrased) worse than awful and subsequently got grief because she dared say so and expressed her view first hand and as someone who goes to most away matches.

Those who don't completely buy into The NP can't do wrong or is just the unlucky inheritor of a shit show since Feb 2021 are entitled to a contrary view and don't have to "go support someone else". Perhaps you should equally go post somewhere else if you cant handle a different view to your own ( so long as it's free)?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

We could still yet go up or down. 17 games into a season and you know where we'll be in about another 25 games? As for always being in games- sorry but that is total bollax. 

There is quite a lot of this type of talk on here. If you don't like the way it is- go and support someone else. 

That's not how football works- but you cant even support OTIB so perhaps you dont go to any matches either which are considerably more expensive than £5?

I was struck by @RedM who after returning from the match at Reading described it as ( paraphrased) worse than awful and subsequently got grief because she dared say so and expressed her view first hand and as someone who goes to most away matches.

Those who don't completely buy into The NP can't do wrong or is just the unlucky inheritor of a shit show since Feb 2021 are entitled to a contrary view and don't have to "go support someone else". Perhaps you should equally go post somewhere else if you cant handle a different view to your own ( so long as it's free)?

I am a Pearson supporter, but you are quite right. 

I don't think anything boils my piss more on here than posters that say "Go and support the Gas/someone else".

It demonstrates undeserved entitlement and being thick as mince simultaneously.

• Like 2

One look at the table tells you everything about the championship, its so even that teams this season outperforming expectations could get up, and teams underperforming could go down. Seeing qpr or reading getting up this season would be absolutely galling given their finishes over the last year or 2 arent much different to us.

There are obviously no derbys or wigans with points deductions, hopefully that doesnt happen to us! In the meantime, id be cashing in scott and semenyo where possible and giving benarous and conway those places,,, like i say, i dont believe pearson will get us up, but i dont really believe anyone can without a takeover and a massive warchest and manager in place who can be trusted to do it properly. Get bielsa in with 50 million to add to our squad and we might have a chance. Get pearson/ wilder/ bruce/ neill etc etc with no money and we are more likely to be stuck around bottom half championship before dropping down to league 1, like the last 40 years.

• Like 2