IGNORED

Ronaldo

Super

Nige said recently that he could do with a ‘maverick’ player………Renaldo is on his way out of Old Trafford, in the autumn of his career and a multi millionaire - maybe if CR wants to continue playing he’d consider dropping down a league and a significant drop in salary and sign an 18/12 contract?

I doubt his ego would even consider it tho……………..:dunno:

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Looks like there's some legit criticism of United in there, but it's so mixed up with the 80% of self serving crap it's mostly lost. Shame as it seemed quite valid to me.

Barney Ronay puts it well I think. Ronaldo has made some valid points but he is a symptom not the cure:

The good news is that Ronaldo is 100% correct, if perhaps not in the way he intended. Manchester United have been a debauched ship, a celebrity waxwork museum, treated for too long like an asset to be sluiced and sucked dry. Where Ronaldo is wrong is that he, Cristiano Ronaldo, is not the cure for this. He is instead the obvious symptom, and the single greatest human embodiment of this decay.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/14/cristiano-has-publicly-identified-the-ronaldo-fication-of-manchester-united

• Like 6

Haven’t seen a single post yet supporting Ronaldo on this. 
So I’m gonna buck the trend. 
I can see where he’s coming from. 
Will await the full interview, but I think he genuinely feels he’s not only been hard done by but that there is a massive lack of respect, and I am inclined to agree. 
The way I see it. You’ve got a player on an expensive contract signed by a previous regime, and the new regime wanted him out and have treated him poorly. Given the ‘personal’ situation he had in pre-season, I think he’s got every right to be narked at his treatment. 
Plus he knows how it’s looking under the Glazers and is basically now calling out the deficiencies in this crumbling club. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

Will await the full interview, but I think he genuinely feels he’s not only been hard done by but that there is a massive lack of respect, and I am inclined to agree. 
The way I see it. You’ve got a player on an expensive contract signed by a previous regime, and the new regime wanted him out and have treated him poorly. Given the ‘personal’ situation he had in pre-season, I think he’s got every right to be narked at his treatment. 
Plus he knows how it’s looking under the Glazers and is basically now calling out the deficiencies in this crumbling club. 

He's being kept there for economic not football reasons is the truth of it.

26 minutes ago, The Bard said:

He's being kept there for economic not football reasons is the truth of it.

True. 
I think there’s a classic ‘castigate the whistleblower’ situation here. 
It’s always the way. Whistleblowers should be respected and protected. But more often than not they are ridiculed and bullied. 
That’s what’s happening here. He’s speaking out about some very real concerns, not only about the obvious poor state of the running of the club, but the lack of humanity in those running it, as well as his poor treatment in some wretched personal situations. 

I’m Team Ronnie on this one. 

The argument most people seem to make is “it’s all about him, it’s all about the money, it’s all about his ego” etc. How about “it’s all about calling out poor examples of humanity in those at the top of the club”.
I say he’s right to call it out. Good on him. 

Let’s take the money and the ego out of it. 
What if this was Rashford? A guy who is well respected and seemingly unselfish and thoughtful to others. What if he’d received the treatment Ronaldo had received whilst his child was ill in hospital? What if he’d called out the leadership at the club? What if he’d been made promises that were broken. If Rashford publically blew the whistle on the poor show going on the club, would there be such vitriol toward him? I think not. 

Whistleblowers are often castigated. I for one know this from personal experience. I’m on Ronnie’s side here. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Harry said:

How have the new regime treated him poorly? 

Narked at the treatment in the summer - didn’t United / ETH accept his extended leave owing to the circumstances? 

If anything it looked as though his agent Mendes was touting him across the world, with rumours of Chelsea, Napoli and Sporting Lisbon to name but a few. I believe the three mentioned were all champions league clubs - which would have given Ronaldo the opportunity to continue in the highest competition. 

I think ETH has been pretty accommodating to be honest despite the public disrespect shown by Ronaldo towards him. United are currently a better side to watch without Ronaldo in the side. His exclusion has been justified. 

Whilst elements of his interview appear true (is ground, facilities), his comments re Rooney and Neville are embarrassing. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Harry said:

True. 
I think there’s a classic ‘castigate the whistleblower’ situation here. 
It’s always the way. Whistleblowers should be respected and protected. But more often than not they are ridiculed and bullied. 
That’s what’s happening here. He’s speaking out about some very real concerns, not only about the obvious poor state of the running of the club, but the lack of humanity in those running it, as well as his poor treatment in some wretched personal situations. 

I’m Team Ronnie on this one. 

The argument most people seem to make is “it’s all about him, it’s all about the money, it’s all about his ego” etc. How about “it’s all about calling out poor examples of humanity in those at the top of the club”.
I say he’s right to call it out. Good on him. 

Let’s take the money and the ego out of it. 
What if this was Rashford? A guy who is well respected and seemingly unselfish and thoughtful to others. What if he’d received the treatment Ronaldo had received whilst his child was ill in hospital? What if he’d called out the leadership at the club? What if he’d been made promises that were broken. If Rashford publically blew the whistle on the poor show going on the club, would there be such vitriol toward him? I think not. 

Whistleblowers are often castigated. I for one know this from personal experience. I’m on Ronnie’s side here. 

What treatment did Ronaldo receive that was so bad? He was given extra time off (while his agent desperately tried to get him out of Man U)

He may well be right about the ownership and infrastructure of Man U, but to go public in such a manner is unprofessional. Do you think whines like this it if he is in the team, scoring regularly? I doubt it

Not to mention they are his employers paying him 500 grand a week.

Bloke is a total knob

Edited by TonyTonyTony
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

How have the new regime treated him poorly? 

Narked at the treatment in the summer - didn’t United / ETH accept his extended leave owing to the circumstances? 

If anything it looked as though his agent Mendes was touting him across the world, with rumours of Chelsea, Napoli and Sporting Lisbon to name but a few. I believe the three mentioned were all champions league clubs - which would have given Ronaldo the opportunity to continue in the highest competition. 

I think ETH has been pretty accommodating to be honest despite the public disrespect shown by Ronaldo towards him. United are currently a better side to watch without Ronaldo in the side. His exclusion has been justified. 

Whilst elements of his interview appear true (is ground, facilities), his comments re Rooney and Neville are embarrassing. 

As I say, we’ll await the full interview. 
From what we hear so far, his reason for the pre-season absence wasn’t believed. If that’s true, it’s a horrible look for those in charge. 
The Rooney comments were clearly a bit of banter. 
Anyway, as we’ve seen, Ronaldo isn’t actually the first one to publically criticise the club - Alexis Sanchez, Ibrahimovic, Mourinho. All world class football people who have all outed Man U as being very backward! There will be a lot of truth in what Ronaldo says, but if he’s also been treated poorly from a personal & family point of view, then it’s horrendous and does need calling out. 

You are correct though, Man U seem to have found their form of late. So the actual decision to not play Ronaldo is fine, based on pure footballing terms. It’s the other stuff around that which is clearly the problem. 

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

What treatment did Ronaldo receive that was so bad? He was given extra time off (while his agent desperately tried to get him out of Man U)

He may well be right about the ownership and infrastructure of Man U, but to go public in such a manner is unprofessional. Do you think whines like this it if he is in the team, scoring regularly? I doubt it

Not to mention they are his employers paying him 500 grand a week.

Bloke is a total knob

Again. You mention money. Money has nothing to do with it. 

I watched the 2 min clip this morning.

I wondered what the fuss was all about.  Seemed like Morgan was loading bullets, but Ronaldo was fairly sensible in his responses.

If the rest of the interview is like this it will then it will feel like it was hyped-up to cover up a pretty boring interview.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Again. You mention money. Money has nothing to do with it. 

Well that would be a first in Football.

Its entirely relevant. Calling out your employer, whilst still being paid a lot of money by them is not very smart and shows a complete lack of respect. I very much doubt you would do that to the people that pay you your wages.

All this is about, is me me me tantrum time because he isnt the golden boy anymore. 

• Like 4

• Admin

At best very naive comments and a really stupid interview to do unless you were trying to force some kind of move, he would have known exactly what the tone of the interview would have been and would have discussed before the start the subjects that could and could not be discussed

The trouble is Ronaldo is so far up his own arse I bet he thinks he can do what he want, and no doubt sees a move away from Utd as his ultimate goal, it would be hilarious if Utd sent him to train with the kids and make the remainder of his contract as difficult as possible

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Well that would be a first in Football.

Its entirely relevant. Calling out your employer, whilst still being paid a lot of money by them is not very smart and shows a complete lack of respect. I very much doubt you would do that to the people that pay you your wages.

All this is about, is me me me tantrum time because he isnt the golden boy anymore. 

You are correct. In my employment the money does matter. But in football, for multi million and billionaires, it doesn’t matter. 
Comparisons to the employment situation of a regular Joe and a premier league footballer are pointless. How many times do people need it pointed out that football is not a normal employment industry. 

This is not about money. Same as it wasn’t about money for Sanchez, Ibra, Mourinho, Lukaku etc. 

Edited by Harry
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

At best very naive comments and a really stupid interview to do unless you were trying to force some kind of move, he would have known exactly what the tone of the interview would have been and would have discussed before the start the subjects that could and could not be discussed

The trouble is Ronaldo is so far up his own arse I bet he thinks he can do what he want, and no doubt sees a move away from Utd as his ultimate goal, it would be hilarious if Utd sent him to train with the kids and make the remainder of his contract as difficult as possible

Send him to the Gas on loan 

30 minutes ago, Harry said:

You are correct. In my employment the money does matter. But in football, for multi million and billionaires, it doesn’t matter. 
Comparisons to the employment situation of a regular Joe and a premier league footballer are pointless. How many times do people need it pointed out that football is not a normal employment industry. 

This is not about money. Same as it wasn’t about money for Sanchez, Ibra, Mourinho, Lukaku etc. 

The principle here is about respecting your employer. It doesn't matter whether you earn 20 grand a year or 500 grand a week. I believe you should show respect to the hand that feeds you. Not only has he done an interview in secret, he has slagged off the owners, the manager, former players and the entire club infrastructure to a  bloke like Piers Morgan, who would sell a story about his own Mum to make headlines. 

Its a terrible look.

The criticism of Man U from the former players / Manager you mention came largely after they left and are not on the same page as Ronaldo's comments. 

Edited by TonyTonyTony
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

The principle here is about respecting your employer. It doesn't matter whether you earn 20 grand a year or 500 grand a week. I believe you should show respect to the hand that feeds you. Not only has he done an interview in secret, he has slagged off the owners, the manager, former players and the entire club infrastructure to a  bloke like Piers Morgan, who would sell a story about his own Mum to make headlines. 

Its a terrible look.

The criticism of Man U from the former players / Manager you mention came largely after they left and are not on the same page as Ronaldo's comments. 

Why should he show respect to his employer, if he feels his employer has disrespected him? 
You say it’s about “respecting your employer”. 
I say it’s about being able to speak the truth.

As I said in my first post, I’ve had to act as a whistleblower before, and I therefore understand what a tough situation that can be and how it can alienate you from your work colleagues. But I did it for the right and moral reasons. 
He’s allowed to tell the truth if he feels there is wrongdoing, and I for one respect that. 

Edited by Harry

47 minutes ago, Harry said:

Why should he show respect to his employer, if he feels his employer has disrespected him? 
You say it’s about “respecting your employer”. 
I say it’s about being able to speak the truth.

You have no clue Ronaldo is speaking the truth about disrespect. You will never know, frankly. 

The only fact here is he is currently employed by Man U and publicly trashing them while still getting paid. Most people understand disrespecting your employer is a bad thing so not so sure while you are struggling to grasp this simple point.

35 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You have no clue Ronaldo is speaking the truth about disrespect. You will never know, frankly. 

The only fact here is he is currently employed by Man U and publicly trashing them while still getting paid. Most people understand disrespecting your employer is a bad thing so not so sure while you are struggling to grasp this simple point.

Once again. Football is unlike most other industries. The point is he wants out. The trashing works both ways, leaks and paper talk is instigated by clubs and players.

Ronaldo through his name alone brings into that club a fortune, it's a marketing dream and sponsors lap him up. At his level respect is certainly a big issue and he is now hurting them were it hurts, their pockets. Perhaps instead of insulting people you grasp this simple point. 

He is 37.He is obnoxious but has been an incredible footballer.One day he will have to accept that he can't maintain his previous level forever.He is past his best.It may come as a shock to him but he is human being,exactly like everyone else.Time catches up with us all.

Bet the bloke wishes he signed for Man City!

How many goals and assists has the bloke got for this team since he signed? No clue, but it seemed like quite a few. He wants to play! The rest is all about a stupid decision to snatch a deal under the noses of Manchester City, that the player himself took part in! 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RedHienz said:

Ronaldo through his name alone brings into that club a fortune, it's a marketing dream and sponsors lap him up. At his level respect is certainly a big issue and he is now hurting them were it hurts, their pockets. Perhaps instead of insulting people you grasp this simple point. 

Laughable. I’m not so sure you have all the evidence available to do a full cost benefit analysis but I suspect Ronaldos value has plummeted recently, even before he opened his gob. Post interview his value is even less.

Ive not insulted anyone in this thread. Just stating facts

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

And you have no clue that he isn’t. 
The trend certainly tends to be that something is seriously amiss behind the scenes - the club have been publically called out in recent years by Sanchez, Ibra, Lukaku, Pogba, Mourinho, Van Gaal, Rangnick and now Ronaldo. 
But of course, it’s the ‘arrogant rich bloke’ Ronaldo who’s to blame. *

Making such a public stand as this, for me, shows courage. 

* arrogant only in the eyes of those who live in jealousy. It’s widely known by real people in the know that Ronaldo is a lovely and very caring chap. 

Edited by Harry
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Harry said:

And you have no clue that he isn’t. 
The trend certainly tends to be that something is seriously amiss behind the scenes - the club have been publically called out in recent years by Sanchez, Ibra, Lukaku, Pogba, Mourinho, Van Gaal, Rangnick and now Ronaldo. 
But of course, it’s the ‘arrogant rich bloke’ Ronaldo who’s to blame. *

Making such a public stand as this, for me, shows courage. 

* arrogant only in the eyes of those who live in jealousy. It’s widely known by real people in the know that Ronaldo is a lovely and very caring chap. 

“Real people in the know, know Ronaldo is a lovely and caring bloke” ??

Do you ever listen to yourself. Christ

Edited by TonyTonyTony
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1