IGNORED

Here he is. The Messiah is to blame

BigAl&Toby

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Agree with a lot of that. We are now in a position where we need to cut our cloth because of past mistakes that we’re allowed to happen (albeit for the right reasons) BUT this is where people who support Steve but want to see the Manager canned need to be careful.

We have a plan, the right plan in our circumstances imo BUT panicking and sacking the Manager adds £2-3m to our football losses at a reasonable guess. We (Steve) spends that dosh and then the new Manager and Coaching team come in and say “how am I expected to work with kids and has beens?”. Then what?

FFP says we can barely spend money on reinforcements now but with a bit of wheeling and dealing we can probably add a couple in January. Add £2-3m in payouts to sacked staff and compo for new staff and we dont have a pot to piss in when Future transfer windows come round. If the new Manager can magic up consistency in youngsters and revert old un’s to their form of five years ago then great, if they can’t then we all know what is likely to happen.

Plus to make matters worse, could that extra £2-3m for this tip us from just about compliance to a £2-3m breach say...points deduction?

12 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Backwards hmm; he came here feb 21 when we were 11th with 33pts; since then his record is p85 w25, L41 D 19 We are currently 20th p20 and won SIX GAMES

So we have lost almost half the games played since he has arrived and currently have won less than a third of games played this season; how exactly is that already not taking us backwards.

Cant really see how one season wonder at Liecs is going to get us anywhere near his own target position this season.

I know SL`S record of decent manager selection is off the rubbish scale but he may get lucky next time as we are def on the slide with "Nige" its time to twist not stick.

Whilst sorting out the recruitment mess by LJ & MA, with no money and reducing the wage bill so we conform to FFP. At least I have more faith we are on the right track.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Whilst sorting out the recruitment mess by LJ & MA, with no money and reducing the wage bill so we conform to FFP. At least I have more faith we are on the right track.

ok each to their own but LJ and MA didnt bring themselves here they were invited ,by the king of all our recruitment messes.

Glad you have faith in SL getting his latest employee right, despite his poor win record and our much lower position since his arrival.

Again, the amount of posters who cannot separate the losses of the 'football club' against the massive profits gained in RE holdings, non-sport events, and hundreds and hundreds of newly made freehold's on property is astounding.

No doubt the same people who think the Flyers stadium is for basketball.

£210,000,000 over 20+ years - incredible amount.

What's the interest made on £1,000,000,000,000 over the last 20+ years?

Because that's what Stephen Lansdown is worth - £1,000,000,000,000 - he is the 996th richest person ON THE PLANET (Forbes 2022) - let that sink in - ON THE PLANET.

£210,000,000 is 2/3 years interest on his assets - chump change, coins down the back of the sofa.

Look, it's his money, he earned it.

No lack of respect for that.

Wether he spent it well is a debate that will go on for ages.

BUT - we used to own this club, this land, and a bit around it. Now BCFC own nothing.

Yes Lansdown funds the club - but to say he won't make a huge profit on freehold sales, and the Ashton Vale entertainment / business complex when it's finished is naive at best, duplicitous at worst.

Potential buyers pre-covid weren't interested in BCFC - they were interested in buying a Prem-ready ground, with massive non-matchday revenues. 

Separate the football from the RE - and then you will see where SL profits.

For fun - ask yourself 'why Botswana'.....

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 2

43 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Again, the amount of posters who cannot separate the losses of the 'football club' against the massive profits gained in RE holdings, non-sport events, and hundreds and hundreds of newly made freehold's on property is astounding.

BUT - we used to own this club, this land, and a bit around it. Now BCFC own nothing.

Yes Lansdown funds the club - but to say he won't make a huge profit on freehold sales, and the Ashton Vale entertainment / business complex when it's finished is naive at best, duplicitous at worst.

Hope you don’t mind me editing your post down to the key relevant points. 

Ashton Vale is key to this and Lansdown supposedly was buying it for the benefit of BCFC. 

And sure enough he bought it under the BCFC umbrella, supposedly as BCFC “benefactor” - but BCFC won’t benefit. 

Lansdown supposedly altruistic but hides the financial information in secretive Channel Islands companies. 

He can do what he wants and doing it very legally including making his ioffspring MD and Chairman (??) but      we will never know if the 55 football clubs in The Premier over the past 30 seasons were just lucky or if we were just very unlucky. 

Or ran badly. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

£214m spent and not a single season of Premier League football makes him pound-for-pound the worst owner in terms of footballing success in the entire football league. No-one else has spent more and achieved so little. 

But sure "Mr Bristol City" "club legend" etc

Do me a favour. 

You sure...how much did Morris throw at Derby and in what timeframe?

Dai Yongge at Reading seems to pour money down the drain, unsure how Birmingham have been financed under BSH.

Funny thing is, these 3 inherited markedly better positions than they now find themselves.

I would add Chansiri but I know absolutely that he has out in less than £214m...a lot of money all the same for Sheffield Wednesday given their crash under him. Still he inherited a relatively stable position...as did BSH at Birmingham.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Because that's what Stephen Lansdown is worth - £1,000,000,000,000 - he is the 996th richest person ON THE PLANET (Forbes 2022) - let that sink in - ON THE PLANET.

£210,000,000 is 2/3 years interest on his assets - chump change, coins down the back of the sofa.

Potential buyers pre-covid weren't interested in BCFC - they were interested in buying a Prem-ready ground, with massive non-matchday revenues. 

Yet Bristol City Holdings is usually a loss making entity no? Otoh most of the costs will be from the football side of things.

Not really looked at it but an interesting exercise in so far as possible would be to try and strip out all of the footballing costs from those of BCH ie events etc although not all expenses are cash of course.

Sale price net of expenditure to date on Profit on £214m and counting? Certainly can think of ways but from sale of it all?

Loan repayments and potentially interest payments are another side of the ledger of course, potentially.

The majority of fans on here seem to judge managers based on their win percentage, forgetting the situations the managers had to deal with etc. 

When you look at this club and how it's done since Lansdown took over I'd say its been pretty successful. Only 4 seasons in league one whilst he's been chairman, an academy that is really impressive and churning out talent, a premier league quality stadium etc

I saw Brighton mentioned but for every Brighton story there are probably 40 plus stories of clubs who tried the same and are still struggling. The entitlement in here is something else, it's like we're owed a place in the Premier League. Why? Because Bristol is a big City? Does that mean Rovers are entitled to a spot in the Prem too? 

Lansdown may have made bad choices but anyone who thinks he wants to see us still in the Championship is mad. What owner of a football club wants then not to be at their best?! Hate Lansdown all you want but he's already said he's willing to sell if the right person comes in so the next thing you have to ask is why he's still the owner? Chances are it's because we're not actually that great of an investment and that is why SL is trying to change that, so we are a great investment. 

I think some people need to start looking at Rovers and realise without Lansdown we very well could be in their position.

• Like 9

17 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

The more deluded the funnier this gets.

Do you know how to read accounts?

In case not let's keep it simple.

If you took EVERYTHING OWNED by (OR DUE) the various enterprises wrapped up in the holding company (that's nothing in respect of Ashton Vale,) and SUBTRACTED ALL LIABILITIES OWED, including shareholder capital and loans at base, issue price, then.....

Ta Da .....

You be IN DEBT to the tune of £170m & counting.

If that's a cash cow, who'd want to be a farmer?

Morning @BTRFTG

In a word? Yes. I spent many years reading, reviewing and analysing accounts. Far too many years.

I know from those years that accounts show - and hide - a multitude of things. Remember Enron?

Multi-layered is multi-layered for several reasons. As is being registered offshore. Neither necessarily untoward or illegal, but done for a reason.

And losses. Ah yes. Losses. I’m quite happy if my business shows a loss. Why? Well like Steve I don’t need to demonstrate a profit to a lender. I don’t need to borrow.

And making a loss? Well that’s deductible and offset elsewhere…….

But it boils down to this. 

If Steve is as successful as he undoubtedly is, and if he’s as intelligent as he undoubtedly is, why oh ******* why would he be happy or prepared to keep burning those fivers?

Now common sense - well my deluded and cider fuelled version of it - according to some on here - is that he’s got a plan. An exit plan. Call it a non-philanthropic motive.

Freehold acquisition. One of only a few things that if bought and sold right will guarantee a return on investment.

Maybe, just maybe, Pula Holdings - in itself an interesting name for a company - reckon the Lansdowns used to go on a Yugotours coach from St Mary Redcliffe back in the day - was his vehicle. To acquire swathes of South Bristol…….

Bit like a Trojan Horse……

Deluded. Delirious. Disrespectful. Yep. All of them.

But anyway. I might be wrong. I might be right. We’ll both be dead and buried before Steve, Junior or Junior’s Junior cash in they chips…….. ?

Score prediction for Watford? Wouldn’t be so brash. But **** me let’s hope we win.

If we don’t I guess you’ll still be happy. Happy that when you went to the loo at half-time you didn’t have to stand in such dreadful toilets, happy you could enjoy an amateur performance - not on the green stuff but on that stage out the back - and could have a nice pulled pork sandwich……

Oh yes. Ashton Gate Stadium. Once the home of simply a long established and at times a reasonably successful football club. Now? A multi-faceted income generating cash machine.

Good old Steve.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

5 hours ago, Spike said:

The majority of fans on here seem to judge managers based on their win percentage, forgetting the situations the managers had to deal with etc. 

When you look at this club and how it's done since Lansdown took over I'd say its been pretty successful. Only 4 seasons in league one whilst he's been chairman, an academy that is really impressive and churning out talent, a premier league quality stadium etc

I saw Brighton mentioned but for every Brighton story there are probably 40 plus stories of clubs who tried the same and are still struggling. The entitlement in here is something else, it's like we're owed a place in the Premier League. Why? Because Bristol is a big City? Does that mean Rovers are entitled to a spot in the Prem too? 

Lansdown may have made bad choices but anyone who thinks he wants to see us still in the Championship is mad. What owner of a football club wants then not to be at their best?! Hate Lansdown all you want but he's already said he's willing to sell if the right person comes in so the next thing you have to ask is why he's still the owner? Chances are it's because we're not actually that great of an investment and that is why SL is trying to change that, so we are a great investment. 

I think some people need to start looking at Rovers and realise without Lansdown we very well could be in their position.

Even if you are solely going on the years SL was chairman, it’s more than 4 years in level 3. Throughout his involvement with the club it’s well into double figures. 

12 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Morning @BTRFTG

In a word? Yes. I spent many years reading, reviewing and analysing accounts. Far too many years.

I know from those years that accounts show - and hide - a multitude of things. Remember Enron?

Multi-layered is multi-layered for several reasons. As is being registered offshore. Neither necessarily untoward or illegal, but done for a reason.

And losses. Ah yes. Losses. I’m quite happy if my business shows a loss. Why? Well like Steve I don’t need to demonstrate a profit to a lender. I don’t need to borrow.

If Steve is as successful as he undoubtedly is, and if he’s as intelligent as he undoubtedly is, why oh ******* why would he be happy or prepared to keep burning those fivers?

Now common sense - well my deluded and cider fuelled version of it - according to some on here - is that he’s got a plan. An exit plan. Call it a non-philanthropic motive.

Freehold acquisition. One of only a few things that if bought and sold right will guarantee a return on investment.

Maybe, just maybe, Pula Holdings - in itself an interesting name for a company - reckon the Lansdowns used to go on a Yugotours coach from St Mary Redcliffe back in the day - was his vehicle. To acquire swathes of South Bristol…….

But anyway. I might be wrong. I might be right. We’ll both be dead and buried before Steve, Junior or Junior’s Junior cash in they chips…….. ?

Score prediction for Watford? Wouldn’t be so brash. But **** me let’s hope we win.

If we don’t I guess you’ll still be happy. Happy that when you went to the loo at half-time you didn’t have to stand in such dreadful toilets, happy you could enjoy an amateur performance - not on the green stuff but on that stage out the back - and could have a nice pulled pork sandwich……

Oh yes. Ashton Gate Stadium. Once the home of simply a long established and at times a reasonably successful football club. Now? A multi-faceted income generating cash machine.

Good old Steve.

Thats the rub for me we are now part of something else, something no fans were asked about or voted for. In fact when the completely new stad was proposed over the road redevelopment "was not an option" Steves dream, Steves money we have no say whatsoever in the road we are being taken down.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You sure...how much did Morris throw at Derby and in what timeframe?

Dai Yongge at Reading seems to pour money down the drain, unsure how Birmingham have been financed under BSH.

All three of those clubs have played in the Premier League though. 

If we're seriously down to comparing Lansdown with a crook like Morris, then I think that just further illustrates my point.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Spike said:

Wake up with SL we could be in there league next year, (according to computer forecast an almost 20% chance as of this moment). The Stadium is not ours we have no say in its occupants/income streams. He and Dawes sacked one of the best managers we`ve had in recent times SC after giving him no time at all to prove himself in this div.

Has since hired imo a load of wasters who have regressed this club to where we are today 20th and one of the favs to go down. Not too successfull imo just yet.

When it comes to some of Lansdowns running of the club I'm mostly just reminded of Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

I don't believe he's doing it to make money, that's an absurd suggestion in my opinion. Why would you make billions in the markets/financial services then pivot into a football club?! They're pretty terrible ways to make money, apart from a few.

If he wanted to build houses to make money, he didn't need a club for that.

I also think people can romanticise the past with this talk of "our" stadium that "we" owned. Come on.

I've said before, I think he mostly wanted a legacy in the city, and to have an equivalent of the F1 teams, golf courses, and Caribbean islands all his mates probably own. A PL club is a pretty good one.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

All three of those clubs have played in the Premier League though. 

If we're seriously down to comparing Lansdown with a crook like Morris, then I think that just further illustrates my point.

Not under their present ownership they haven't. Not at all.

Birmingham

Autumn 2016, Inherited a lowish loss making and top half Championship side under Rowett.

That's a good foundation with which to give it a bit of a go, Birmingham a reasonable sized club too.

Somehow within 18 months or so and 4 or 5 managers later they'd failed FFP and were under an embargo, points docked. Nearly went down twice and multiple relegation scraps in that period...all that money and for what.

Derby

Wow, check the League table when he arrived.

Up near the top, playing excellent football- in or around the play-offs for years...some losses but not huge. Tbh they did reach 3 x playoffs including a final before things started to unravel...

..Wow though when they unravelled this happened rapidly! Legal disputes, failure to fund the club correctly during Covid (MSD), nearly went down in 2020-21, relegation, including more legal disputes,  deductions for FFP AND administration in the same season (unprecedented)! No accounts released for years. To say nothing of unpaid creditors. All that money and for what.

Reading

Inherited a play-off final side. Overachieved that year yes, Parachute Payments running out yes but why wouldn't you give it a bit of a go.

He did tbh, some of it folly. Ever bigger losses, and he helped to offset these by selling the stadium twice ie once to Holding company, once from there to his external company, see also old training ground and land around the ground for sale. Loaned Aluko to his (now bankrupt) Chinese club...

Refused to sell players at the right time- see Swift- which meant he lost Richards on a free to Bayern, due to EFL wage limits imposed over FFP issues. Could have got a decent fee for him and a better one for Olise if not for EFL wage limits.

£100-150m in 4 seasons and for what. Failing FFP, Business Plan, 2 relegation battles, numerous managers. All that money..

..Having said that he does now seem to own all of Reading's fixed assets. :) In a costly part of the world.

Sheffield Wednesday

A bit like Birmingham, Chansiri inherited a stable if an unspectacular base.

Playoff final year 1, semi final year 2 but then things truly unravelled. Aimed for the stars...missed.

Year 3 things stalled and there were huge injuries (familiar).

Found they were on course to breach FFP hugely, botched a stadium sale and leaseback as we know and over a year on they were charged- legal claims and counter claims, eventually got a 12 point deduction (halved to 6).

This deduction relegated them, first deduction in their history, also took out loans secured against Hillsborough which is a red flag perhaps- either rolled over x 2 or 3 different ones. Went full circle by losing the (League One) play-offs in 2021-22...All that money and for what.

2 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Morning @BTRFTG

Good old Steve.

Accounts yes don't always show the full picture and abbreviated accounts even more so...careful what we all post all on a public forum I guess but are you suggesting something else?

Because clearly the BCH accounts are different to the CLUB accounts, as they contain more than just the club related activities- the stand alone cost v income of the commercial side would be interesting to know as the BCH accounts would include club allocated commercial plus football side for costs and revenue.

Have a couple of conspiracy theory type thoughts in mind but would be getting into dangerous territory as a public forum etc. No idea if they would even be true either!!

Offsetting of losses is possible of course but you only get a bit back via the company itself through this.

11 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

BUT - we used to own this club, this land,  the bit around it. Now BCFC own nothing.

It really is both very funny and a bit sad when someone who knows very very little about money and wealth starts gobbing off about someone else's wealth from a position of total ignorance.

Firstly 1 billion is 1000,000,000 not, as you say: 1000,000,000,000- you just made him the richest man on the planet.

Secondly you say he has had that 20+ years- WRONG ! On the basis that HL's IPO was in 2007 that's less than 15 years although the share price only made him a billionaire after 2014 ( 8 years) .

Thirdly as for "WE" used to own the club,the land and the bit around it (whatever the hell that means) NO WE DIDNT!! Us fans have never owned the club, the stadium or any land. Some us bought shares about 25 years ago which totalled less than 1% of issued shares.

The only point you make which is accurate is " Look, it's his money , he earned it"

Are you some sort of Corbynite policeman that decides how a self made man should spend his money? That if he makes profits ancilliary to BCFC that they should in some way be lumped in to all things BCFC? It's a point that is often made by those having a pop at SL and is more anti capitalist or sheer jealousy than anything else.

As to buying a game reserve in Botswana- Why? Mainly because he can and it's none of your effing business!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, IAmNick said:

If he wanted to build houses to make money, he didn't need a club for that.

My question is - would he have got the land and the planning permission without doing the sports stuff?  If I was completely cynical one might argue the sports stuff could be seen as a “back-hander” to the council?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My question is - would he have got the land and the planning permission without doing the sports stuff?  If I was completely cynical one might argue the sports stuff could be seen as a “back-hander” to the council?

Spot on. Developers do it all the time to get the permissions they really want.

They know what they can get, and what to do to get it.

Steve. Look Marv. I’ve got this plan…

Marv. What’s that Steve?

Steve. Let’s work together. Let’s make Bristol Proud.

Marv. How Steve? How?

Steve. I’m buying some land. Ashton Vale. Forget that village green nonsense. I’ll say I’m going to build an all signing, all dancing stadium.

Marv. **** me Steve. You’ve got no chance.

Steve. I know Marv. But what I really want, what i really really want - nice Spice Girls reference ? - is a fat resi consent….

Marv. Oh I see Steve. I’ll see what I can do……..

Eventually.

Meanwhile the sun is shining. I predict a defeat. Relegation zone we’m coming….

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Spot on. Developers do it all the time to get the permissions they really want.

They know what they can get, and what to do to get it.

Steve. Look Marv. I’ve got this plan…

Marv. What’s that Steve?

Steve. Let’s work together. Let’s make Bristol Proud.

Marv. How Steve? How?

Steve. I’m buying some land. Ashton Vale. Forget that village green nonsense. I’ll say I’m going to build an all signing, all dancing stadium.

Marv. **** me Steve. You’ve got no chance.

Steve. I know Marv. But what I really want, what i really really want - nice Spice Girls reference ? - is a fat resi consent….

Marv. Oh I see Steve. I’ll see what I can do……..

Eventually.

Meanwhile the sun is shining. I predict a defeat. Relegation zone we’m coming….

Really really are such a fantasist and come out with any b0ll0cks to try and prove you point

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Which makes SL a flawed genius - waste £250,000,000 on a sports enterprise to get planning on a new housing estate which wont make anywhere near that figure.

Bristol and the UK needs housing- desperately so it doesn't come as any surprise that housing is granted to SL or anyone else or have you been asleep at the wheel?

It's staggering how many financial analysts appear when discussing other people's money.

I struggle to identify any Bristol based asset which Steve Lansdown hasn't tried to improve let alone to the detriment of the people of Bristol ( except gas fans).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Which makes SL a flawed genius - waste £250,000,000 on a sports enterprise to get planning on a new housing estate which wont make anywhere near that figure.

Bristol and the UK needs housing- desperately so it doesn't come as any surprise that housing is granted to SL or anyone else or have you been asleep at the wheel?

It's staggering how many financial analysts appear when discussing other people's money.

I struggle to identify any Bristol based asset which Steve Lansdown hasn't tried to improve let alone to the detriment of the people of Bristol ( except gas fans).

Maybe he is a flawed genius…I’m just offering up an opinion, no need to be rude / insulting about it is there?

Remember, this is a forum!!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe he is a flawed genius…I’m just offering up an opinion, no need to be rude / insulting about it is there?

Remember, this is a forum!!!!

Why rude/ insulting, Dave? Which bit?

On that same subject though- suggesting that his sports activity is merely a back hander to the Council in return for planning is not so much insulting as litigious.

This forum is indeed all about opinions but it currently seems ok to pepper it with misinformation about the owner whereas the same can't be said of the manager. There cannot be one rule for one and another for someone else with a differing position.

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Why rude/ insulting, Dave? Which bit?

On that same subject though- suggesting that his sports activity is merely a back hander to the Council in return for planning is not so much insulting as litigious.

This forum is indeed all about opinions but it currently seems ok to pepper it with misinformation about the owner whereas the same can't be said of the manager. There cannot be one rule for one and another for someone else with a differing position.

I offered up a hypothesis / an opinion on a forum.  I didn’t say it was, just “could it”.

Yes there is a housing crisis, why hasn’t it been resolved if it’s so easy to get planning?

3 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

Isn't it pretty insulting to be suggesting "back-handers" to the council?

Yeah, probably.  Bad choice of term…accepted.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes there is a housing crisis, why hasn’t it been resolved if it’s so easy to get planning?

It's a bit more complex than that.

Planning permission being granted doesn't mean it's built - in May 2021, the LGA said that of 2.78m homes granted planning permission since 2010, only 1.6m had actually been built (57.5%).

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I offered up a hypothesis / an opinion on a forum.  I didn’t say it was, just “could it”.

Yeah, probably.  Bad choice of term…accepted.

Is the correct answer!

I was not insulting or rude to you and never have been. I guess you might ( as in maybe) not be used to be called out on an opinion you put forward.  I suspect it was the bit about being asleep at the wheel? The whole point is that it isn't easy to get planning and there will have been nothing easy in this case.

A few dog walkers managing to create the biggest village green in Europe and prevent one of the most ambitious stadium complex with all its employment opportunity and benefit for the city of Bristol. Steve lost.