IGNORED

Lee Johnson

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ashton was put on gardening leave. He was occasionally wheeled out for the HPC stuff to give the impression all was hunky-dory behind the glare of the media.

I think that if Ashton had remained, Pearson wouldn’t have stayed. You’ve only got to listen to his criticism of our strategy to see he includes Ashton (and the Lansdowns) in that. 

Was going to post something similar. Having a "football recruitment" CEO, as Ashton was, is the antithesis of how Pearson seeks to mould a club.

The day NP came here was the beginning of the end for Ashton. In fact, his recruitment in the first place is a sign that the Lansdown's had lost faith in Mark Ashton. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

My point is that it's always a work in progress with LJ, he did say give me 3 windows to build a squad and 6 windows later he was still moaning that he needed ' warriors ' and 'leaders', He said he the final say on incomings so we can't put it all on Ashton.

Anyway we'll never agree on LJ, the fanbase is split into 2 camps: Those who think he did a poor job, and those who think he did a f u cking terrible job! 

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you - I just see it a different way in terms of % of blame and the whole ‘that’s football’ and it’s the same with virtually every club and manager.

Totally agree r.e the split in the camp - most polarising manager in recent history - for many he was doomed to fail before he started. 

I think though there are more camps than just he was 1) poor or 2) f terrible!

For me he came in when we were on worse results/performance trajectory than we are now - took us:

1: out the relegation fight and to safety 

2: had us progressing year on year for 2/3 years, often in the top 10 and at times top 6 even top 2.

3: gave us something fantastic performances/away days and cup runs.

4: put in a lot of ground work off the pitch. 

Ultimately yes he didn’t have to quality to get us over the line and stayed a year too long playing his part in the financial mess that came towards the end. Fine.

But I’m not rewriting history to say it was all shit and everyone looks back at it as poor or terrible - if you do IMO you’re blinkered by not liking the man. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Was going to post something similar. Having a "football recruitment" CEO, as Ashton was, is the antithesis of how Pearson seeks to mould a club.

The day NP came here was the beginning of the end for Ashton. In fact, his recruitment in the first place is a sign that the Lansdown's had lost faith in Mark Ashton. 

Might it be why Pearson didn't come here in Feb 16, he was asked about the job here on 5Live on a Friday evening I think it was, and he gave a bit of a cryptic answer, saying amongst other things: "it's a big place (Bristol)," it was all but clear from this exchange that there was interest and contact, but we went down the "middle of L1, up-and-coming" route instead.

We got Ashton and LJ, when we had players to "trade" and money to burn, when it would seem we could've had Pearson. And before he got seriously ill, too.

• Like 2

Taking about a one off win as if it was a pinnacle of our clubs history is why we will never progress.  Yes, it was a fantastic night no doubting it, but to still be celebrating it 5 years later…..well.  
So many equivalent teams have done so much better than us over the last twenty years - Cardiff - League Cup final, Championship title, 2 seasons in the Premier League.  Wigan - 8 seasons in the Prem, won the FA Cup as well as reaching another semi losing on pens, European football. Swansea - 8 years in the Prem and won the League Cup. Pompey in the Prem and Europe.  Brentford ripping up the Prem at the moment.   The list goes on and on.  We need to up our expectations.   

Edited by lenred
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Whilst I agree that an Ashton/Pearson combination didn’t ever seem likely to work, I thought that his departure actually had more to do with

a) the fact that he chose to leave us, and

b) he’d properly stitched us up by talking to his American friends about what they could do at Ipswich while he was supposed to be working for us. 

• Like 2

RobboRed.You really need to get over your hatred of Gary Johnson. It is unhealthy for you to still be carrying it around with you after all these years. We are all very aware of your feelings towards him.For your own sake you need to move on.This is not a dig at you.I honestly feel sorry for you that this has been eating away at you for so long.Life is far too short to be carrying baggage like this around with you.Also your agenda often undermines valid points that you otherwise make.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lenred said:

Taking about a one off win as if it was a pinnacle of our clubs history is why we will never progress.  Yes, it was a fantastic night no doubting it, but to still be celebrating it 5 years later…..well.  
So many equivalent teams have done so much better than us over the last twenty years - Cardiff - League Cup final, Championship title, 2 seasons in the Premier League.  Wigan - 8 seasons in the Prem, won the FA Cup as well as reaching another semi losing on pens, European football. Swansea - 8 years in the Prem and won the League Cup. Pompey in the Prem and Europe.  Brentford ripping up the Prem at the moment.   The list goes on and on.  We need to up our expectations.   

I don't think anyone is still celebrating it, but the reality is, in my 30 odd years supporting City, it's up there as one of the best nights.

But does that mean my hopes and expectations for the club are any lower than yours, absolutely not. 

Do I think we've underachieved in my lifetime, absolutely yes. 

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 1

On 07/01/2023 at 10:49, Robbored said:

We all enjoyed seeing the stars of Man Utd humbled. Mourinho was so embarrassed that he didn’t stay for the usual post drink and for me that was the highlight of LJ career at City.

Sadly he devolved into his father and became a one trick pony - that’s when my support him evaporated. 

Don’t you ever stop ?

Your obsession with putting down the two Johnson managers must surely be bordering upon some kind of illness. Haven’t you got a poster of a proper manager like Danny Wilson to tug yourself over?

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

On 07/01/2023 at 12:57, lenred said:

Interesting list there considering two of the clubs nearly folded due to the money spent bringing the success, and Cardiff are at a high risk of long term problems and had the heart ripped out of them. Swansea have had a wobbly time too, but seem to be okay on the whole? Makes you wonder if it's worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Agree with all that but would add the win at Anfield 30 years ago. Every time I walk past that wall in the South Stand celebrating that win and Tinnion's goal I think the same thing - Tinpot. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I think the clubs growing connection with the past is a massive part of who we are. Nothing tinpot about celebrating your history, however small or less significant it is in comparison to your peers.

We should be proud of who we are and our past. It's ours. 

So we should be proud of our lack of achievement because it’s ‘ours’?  We have significantly underachieved for decades.  I love this club, but I wouldn’t delude myself by claiming I’m proud of the last thirty years.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I think the clubs growing connection with the past is a massive part of who we are. Nothing tinpot about celebrating your history, however small or less significant it is in comparison to your peers.

I'd much rather we fixed ourselves on having a better future and celebrating something significant than clinging to the odd good day. 'Too easily satisfied' would be s good club motto for us. 

• Like 4

Whether we have underachieved or not, you can only celebrate the good times put in front of you, there are teams in the premier league that have won nothing.

We have at least got like 3 johnstones paint trophies and a league 1 title, thats nothing to pull our noses at!.

Then the league cup defeat of united, playoffs defeatz however much they hurt are moments in history.

Id rather those than be a midtable premier league team with no ambition to win anything..

5 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

So you're saying we achieved nothing in the last 30 years? 

How pragmatic.

Not much isn't nothing. We've still won more silverware in the 40 years since 1982 than the sad sags have won in their entire history. 

We should ignore any good moments because they aren't sufficient for some people. Let's whitewash the whole concourse. Let's turn Ashton Gate into another identikit stadium. 

Whinging for the sake of whinging. If you can't be proud of your own club what's the bloody point in going? What exactly do you get out of it? 

Please do not make a comparison with us and a sad sag encampment in a part of town ludicrously named Horfield. Our failure is ours their failure is akin to Yate and Yeovil. 

23 minutes ago, prankerd said:

Whether we have underachieved or not, you can only celebrate the good times put in front of you, there are teams in the premier league that have won nothing.

We have at least got like 3 johnstones paint trophies and a league 1 title, thats nothing to pull our noses at!.

Then the league cup defeat of united, playoffs defeatz however much they hurt are moments in history.

Id rather those than be a midtable premier league team with no ambition to win anything..

Surely this is a wind up?! ?

2 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

I think Nige recognised quite quickly that we didn't really acknowledge our past and along with Gould took steps so that we do. That's all part of the culture he is trying to install here. 

We are Bristol City and we should be proud of that. Our past has led us to where we are today. 

• Robin 1

In a way, I do get the point about the ridiculousness of celebrating a one-off cup win years later but, on the other hand, surely memories of nights like those are the whole point of supporting a football team?

Christ knows I've had more than enough joyless afternoons and evenings in the freezing cold watching us labour to terrible results. Ironically I couldn't make the Man Utd game but travelling to Manchester and standing at the Etihad with thousands of other City fans and watching us go toe to toe with one of the best teams in football in a cup semi final was one of the best memories of being a fan.

Sure, I wish we'd get promoted and it is frustrating seeing other clubs overtake us but football is made of stories and memories and I have no problem with the club celebrating that. It might be petty and completely ludicrous from the outside. But if you take everything that's petty and ludicrous from the outside out of football, I'm not too sure what's then left. 

• Like 9
  • Robin 1

I'll always remember my son's face (he was 17 at the time) when we won against United - and that's priceless and wouldn't have been any different had we just won the Champions League.  So, I'm with @LondonBristolian, ludicrous from the outside but them's what memories are made of and treasured.  I also have the result and the teams on a poster on the wall. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Don’t you ever stop ?

Your obsession with putting down the two Johnson managers must surely be bordering upon some kind of illness. Haven’t you got a poster of a proper manager like Danny Wilson to tug yourself over?

Imagine hating one man so much! ?

• Haha 2

some of my best days supporting City have been away games at York, Walsall, QPR, Chesterfield, Wrexham, Chester...etc....when we absolutely hammered the opposition.

how does that "success" correlate with getting hammered every week at home by Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester, etc...

that's the challenge - how could we do a Brentford or a Brighton? And would we be happy with that? being a mid table premier league team (well i guess it might be better than being a mid table championship team?)

i don't know what the answer would be, but I'd certainly put winning something, above winning nothing?

Can you give us a list of things we are allowed to celebrate please?