IGNORED

Lee Johnson

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

How come you direct it at Johnson specifically? 

I know the rationale, broadly because he was given backing Cotterill wasn’t, but surely that’s more the fault of the board and the likes of Ashton?

I don’t really hate him mate I’ve almost made it a bit of a parody. But I hate the situation more as you rightly point out. 

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think Nige recognised quite quickly that we didn't really acknowledge our past and along with Gould took steps so that we do. That's all part of the culture he is trying to install here. 

We are Bristol City and we should be proud of that. Our past has led us to where we are today. 

Sorry, not looking for an argument or a disagreement or anything, just a genuine question as I may have missed it, but what did Nige do that recognised our history? 

15 minutes ago, Rob k said:

It’s not as simple as it was back in Shankleys day that’s for sure 

I think the core principles of what Shankley said still exists. If you have possession - keep possession (tiki taka), if you lose possession win it back as soon as possible (Gegenpressing). Basically what we've seen from the best of Man City and Liverpool these past 5 years.

2 hours ago, bredwood said:

The Johnson Out! thread on the Hibs message board now up to 32 pages. Claims that he is treating some members of the squad unfairly by now allowing them to train with the first team.

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?360818-Johnson-Out/page31

Jesus. I know some don’t rate his coaching but that’s a harsh criticism by any metric.

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Reading he has fallen out with some of the players. Seems unfortunately a toxic trait of his. He comes across at times a little arrogant which would rub certain people up the wrong way - even Paddy Kenny explained it in his own biography. Full of himself

A lot of managers fall out with players. It's a common thing in football.

Paddy Kenny is also a jumped up little ****, maybe he should of been more concerned he shipped in 7 goals in his 3rd and final appearance for Oldham instead of blaming LJ....

Edited by Selred

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Jesus. I know some don’t rate his coaching but that’s a harsh criticism by any metric.

He was pretty much the same at City. Lots of unrest amongst the playing squad who had lost faith in him, that’s if he had any to start with………...:dunno:

His dad was exactly the same culminating in the appalling punch up at Argyle when he scrapped with the players………:disapointed2se:

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

In a way, I do get the point about the ridiculousness of celebrating a one-off cup win years later but, on the other hand, surely memories of nights like those are the whole point of supporting a football team?

Christ knows I've had more than enough joyless afternoons and evenings in the freezing cold watching us labour to terrible results. Ironically I couldn't make the Man Utd game but travelling to Manchester and standing at the Etihad with thousands of other City fans and watching us go toe to toe with one of the best teams in football in a cup semi final was one of the best memories of being a fan.

Sure, I wish we'd get promoted and it is frustrating seeing other clubs overtake us but football is made of stories and memories and I have no problem with the club celebrating that. It might be petty and completely ludicrous from the outside. But if you take everything that's petty and ludicrous from the outside out of football, I'm not too sure what's then left. 

Exactly this, LB. As Nick Hornby says, life for the majority of football fans most of the time is destined to be one of disappointment and failure! And you have to take the joy and the moments of pleasure when you can. And let's not forget that the Man U game (for me at least) wasn't the only memorable thing to come out of LJs here. That might have been the pinnacle, but to suggest that is all that we enjoyed is to forget an awful lot

You've already touched on that day at the Etihad. And often overlooked as part of that cup run was the 4-1 annihilation of Palace. The 4-0 win at Fulham. Another game at Fulham where we walked the ball into the net and left the best defence in the division -literally - flat on its arse. Beating Cardiff (more than once), watching Tammy Abraham play for City for a season, a 2-1 win at Sunderland when two moments of magic made a 10 hour journey and the cold so worthwhile, the 3-3 at Derby, the 3-2 win at Sheff Utd (ha ha!), watching Lloyd Kelly develop, that Bobby Reid hat trick against Wednesday, those 1-0 away wins (Fammy snatching a great headed winner at Birmingham springs to mind), those are all the moments that make those joyless afternoons and evenings worthwhile. 

• Like 11
  • Robin 1

4 hours ago, prankerd said:

Whether we have underachieved or not, you can only celebrate the good times put in front of you, there are teams in the premier league that have won nothing.

We have at least got like 3 johnstones paint trophies and a league 1 title, thats nothing to pull our noses at!.

Then the league cup defeat of united, playoffs defeatz however much they hurt are moments in history.

Id rather those than be a midtable premier league team with no ambition to win anything..

I think we should at least try a few seasons in the middle of the Prem not winning any  thing (but on MOTD every Saturday night being overlooked by Danny thingy and Alan Geordie) before we decide we'd rather be in L1 aiming to add to our glorious tally of League One cups and promotions and titles

• Haha 1
  • Robin 1

5 minutes ago, lenred said:

Weren’t we 3-0 up in that game ID?! 

We sure were. Should have been 4-0 if Matty Taylor hadn't missed a sitter. And we played possibly the best 45 minutes football I've ever seen us play.

Those magic moments aren't just about winning. I used to love watching us when we had Andy Cole, Jacki, Mark Gavin, Leroy Rosenior. We'd lose more often than we won, but boy was it fun.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

We sure were. Should have been 4-0 if Matty Taylor hadn't missed a sitter. And we played possibly the best 45 minutes football I've ever seen us play.

Those magic moments aren't just about winning. I used to love watching us when we had Andy Cole, Jacki, Mark Gavin, Leroy Rosenior. We'd lose more often than we won, but boy was it fun.....

If we’d been 3-0 down I’d agree but from 0-3 up to me at least it felt like a humongous kick in the balls! Get what you’re saying though. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Exactly this, LB. As Nick Hornby says, life for the majority of football fans most of the time is destined to be one of disappointment and failure! And you have to take the joy and the moments of pleasure when you can. And let's not forget that the Man U game (for me at least) wasn't the only memorable thing to come out of LJs here. That might have been the pinnacle, but to suggest that is all that we enjoyed is to forget an awful lot

You've already touched on that day at the Etihad. And often overlooked as part of that cup run was the 4-1 annihilation of Palace. The 4-0 win at Fulham. Another game at Fulham where we walked the ball into the net and left the best defence in the division -literally - flat on its arse. Beating Cardiff (more than once), watching Tammy Abraham play for City for a season, a 2-1 win at Sunderland when two moments of magic made a 10 hour journey and the cold so worthwhile, the 3-3 at Derby, the 3-2 win at Sheff Utd (ha ha!), watching Lloyd Kelly develop, that Bobby Reid hat trick against Wednesday, those 1-0 away wins (Fammy snatching a great headed winner at Birmingham springs to mind), those are all the moments that make those joyless afternoons and evenings worthwhile. 

The 4-0 win away at Fulham probably actually was my highlight of LJ's run. It was made funnier and more awkward by the fact that I'm mates with a season ticket holder who had treated me to lunch before we'd gone our separate ways at the ground, only for me to spot him slinking out at 3-0 down with 10 minutes left...

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

He was pretty much the same at City. Lots of unrest amongst the playing squad who had lost faith in him, that’s if he had any to start with………...:dunno:

His dad was exactly the same culminating in the appalling punch up at Argyle when he scrapped with the players………:disapointed2se:

And yet again, you wake up late and post the same old thing. I think we all know your opinion by now.

You are to this forum what you say LJ and GJ were to Bristol City Football Club. Boring and repetitive…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

On 06/01/2023 at 20:22, italian dave said:

And 7th a month before his departure. 

I'd readily accept that these things are all relative for Bristol City! But for 2-3 years we were talked about nationally as candidates for promotion/play offs and not as candidates for relegation. For us, that was a place we hadn't been in for decades and haven't been since.

Look, I'm not trying to argue that he was some kind of coaching genius! Just that he did a decent enough job here, gave us some good times, doesn't deserve the abuse that he still gets from some, and just maybe wasn't the principal reason behind all the financial/recruitment decisions that were taken at the time. 

That's where this started! And I'd still maintain that the reason for his sacking was. what was happening on the pitch/league position and not the state of our finances - which, at the time incidentally, were massively impacted by covid anyway.

Just as a bit of an aside - I sometimes wonder whether Brentford (who had a similar, but more focused and more successful strategy to us) got promoted just in time, and we timed it just about as badly as we could have done in the context of covid.

Anybody could see the wage spending was becoming comical.

If LJ didn't, then that's on him.

He had dverything he could need at his disposal, he was just a very poor manager. No squad building ability, no singular style of play, no man management, no common sense.

He's a decent coach. But that was it. Should never have been our manager.

If we had someone like McCarthy or Pearson in charge over that same period (16-19), we would have at least a couple play off finishes. They'd have streamlined the squad, told Ashton to bugger off, and had a backbone, and at least have a set tactic.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 7
  • Flames 3

12 minutes ago, Fuber said:

He had dverything he could need at his disposal, he was just a very poor manager. No squad building ability, no singular style of play, no man management, no common sense.

If we had someone like McCarthy or Pearson in charge over that same period (16-19), we would have at least a couple play off finishes. They'd have streamlined the squad, told Ashton to bugger off, and had a backbone, and at least have a set tactic.

Imagine replacing our most successful recent manager (Steve Cotterill) for Lee Johnson. Nepotism 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Imagine replacing our most successful recent manager (Steve Cotterill) for Lee Johnson. Nepotism 

Could someone argue that LJ has had our highest finish in the last 15 years so even if it was nepotism it was relatively successful?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

Could someone argue that LJ has had our highest finish in the last 15 years so even if it was nepotism it was relatively successful?

With the money he spent and with the players he had finishing 8th was the bare minimum i'd say

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fuber said:

You say that the wage spending is “on him”, but that misses the point I’ve been trying to make. Perhaps it wasn’t. Perhaps his objectives were entirely about points and league position. And Ashton’s were entirely about the money. And that disconnect was part of the problem.

I don’t know that. It’s just a proposition. But with respect I doubt you know any different, for sure. 

You might be right about other managers: who knows, it’s speculation. And we didn’t have them. I tend to agree that if LJ had had a smaller squad, had told Ashton to bugger off etc he may well have done better. But none of us know what was going on behind the scenes and who pulled what strings. It was what it was - and all I’m suggesting is we had some good times with him, and someone who can get us into a regular top 10 place in the Championship can’t be entirely useless. It wasn’t all bad. 

44 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Seeing as we were 2nd at Xmas I can’t say I exactly saw it as a great success.

Absolutely. It was a season of two halves. Almost like we found the switch that said dynamic attacking football and decided to flick it off just for a laugh. We then forgot where the switch was and decided the only way we’d ever find it again was to throw money out the window. Sad on many fronts, not least that LJ has never really ever found that zip again since, he found some very good attritional 1-0’s, but never re found that flair. 

• Like 2