IGNORED

Lee Johnson

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3493923/Feeling-little-flush-fellas-Football-stars-friends-hit-new-low-Cheltenham-one-appears-relieve-glass-throw-box-female-companions-bare-chests.html

They appear to show Carruthers relieve himself into an empty pint glass.

He then allegedly stood it on the top of the exclusive balcony's metal railing, in danger of being knocked on to passers-by below.

They were egged on by Ayling who seemed to find the situation hilarious.

26 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3493923/Feeling-little-flush-fellas-Football-stars-friends-hit-new-low-Cheltenham-one-appears-relieve-glass-throw-box-female-companions-bare-chests.html

They appear to show Carruthers relieve himself into an empty pint glass.

He then allegedly stood it on the top of the exclusive balcony's metal railing, in danger of being knocked on to passers-by below.

They were egged on by Ayling who seemed to find the situation hilarious.

You know what, I'll go ahead and admit that fifteen years ago in my early 20s if one of my mates had done that after a few drinks I'd have probably been laughing too.

Maybe not the next day after a bit of sober reflection and it's definitely not a great look, especially as he's in the public eye, but it was a bit overblown to me.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Hang on, are you really saying that people urinating in cups and chucking it off a balcony and landing on people, especially when they are professional footballers, people who should be role models to youngsters and are privileged to earn a fortune, is something that is not a serious misdemeanour.

Can tell you now for nothing, if I was one of the people it landed on, I would have sued them and done everything I could to make sure they never kicked a ball professionally again.

I am surprised that a serving policeman such as yourself, does not see that as a serious offence, especially given their position of trust and respect in the community. But then the MET does nothing for peoples confidence in police anymore, and it's quickly being proven, that the police are worse than those they are meant to be protecting the public from!

Serious misdemeahour?!?! Even if you'd spelt it right I'd still be  laughing till Christmas . Infantile prank maybe, but hardly worthy of the Special Branch

9 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Pemberton used to claim he'd done stuff when he'd done about 20% of it and tried to claim he'd done it all

Whatever you say. I don’t know what it is your talking about specifically, but you may well know something I don’t. Either way we were looking better before LJ came in. 

However if anyone blagged anything I would suggest other more worthy candidates. 

Edited by REDOXO

3 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Whatever you say. I don’t know what it is your talking about specifically, but you may well know something I don’t. Either way we were looking better before LJ came in. 

However if anyone blagged anything I would suggest other more worthy candidates. 

Pembo shored things up at the back, post Cotts. 4 games - Boro, Brum, Leeds, Charlton - I think it was he stepped up for, we let one goal in in those 4. Two wins, one draw. Think he ditched the 3 cbs and went for what everyone told Cotts he should do (so he wouldn't do it), good old 4 4 2.

Then Lee started, and turnt things around as well. But Pembo turnt things around first.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Pembo shored things up at the back, post Cotts. 4 games - Boro, Brum, Leeds, Charlton - I think it was he stepped up for, we let one goal in in those 4. Two wins, one draw. Think he ditched the 3 cbs and went for what everyone told Cotts he should do (so he wouldn't do it), good old 4 4 2.

Then Lee started, and turnt things around as well. But Pembo turnt things around first.

That’s how I remember it!

Edited by REDOXO

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

That’s how I remember it!

That Boro game was good, they turnt up top of the table and about to set a club record for consecutive clean sheets or something, and we gubbed them 1 nil. Crowd right behind the team.

The "atmosphere" about the club had become detrimental to the team's performance on the field as Cotts fumed and did things like not filling the bench. If anything saved us that season, it was the change of atmosphere and lancing the boil that was Cotts war with SL or whoever it was.

The players were freed up to play, and a few like Flint were fired up at the dismissal of Cotts.

Tomlin made a difference too. He'd have helped before Christmas. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

That Boro game was good, they turnt up top of the table and about to set a club record for consecutive clean sheets or something, and we gubbed them 1 nil. Crowd right behind the team.

The "atmosphere" about the club had become detrimental to the team's performance on the field as Cotts fumed and did things like not filling the bench. If anything saved us that season, it was the change of atmosphere and lancing the boil that was Cotts war with SL or whoever it was.

The players were freed up to play, and a few like Flint were fired up at the dismissal of Cotts.

I was at a charity panto that afternoon (oh yes I was!) and sneakily watching bbc live text updates on the lowest brightness on my phone.  I still don’t know how I remained in my seat, silent when I saw the goal update go in!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We didn’t need to sell Kodjia at all.

We got an offer a) too good to turn down b) player wanted to go to a bigger club and c) we had Abraham.

You could easily argue that LJ facilitated the move by playing him on the wing and playing Abraham centrally over him.

He signed 19 players that season (16 perm / 3 loans):

image.thumb.png.847ee0038ede6362450ac39231c70294.png

How many were LJ signings, how many were Ashton imposed signings?

I'm not sure we'll ever truly know exactly how many were which. But we do know a few of which LJ was at the very least approving of (Abraham with the story of going to the parents house as one), others less so.

Edited by transfer reader

2 hours ago, transfer reader said:

How many were LJ signings

all of them

how many were Ashton imposed signings?

None of them

Lee signed them all off.

Ok, that’s a facetious answer, but despite my dislike of MA, I don’t think he ever would have said “Lee - you’re buying this player whether you like him or not”.

I’m sure MA played a big role in deciding what pool of players the sausage machine spat out in lots of cases.  Driven by their agent!!

I’m sure LJ had a big say in some players being fed into the sausage machine too, e.g. Brownhill and Webster, or at least not being discarded due to being from a different agency to MA’s preferred list.

Some may disagree with me.

I'm not sure we'll ever truly know exactly how many were which. But we do know a few of which LJ was at the very least approving of (Abraham with the story of going to the parents house as one), others less so.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Thanks 1

Could part of the reason for the pro/anti LJ split be the fact that we were a much better away team throughout his tenure?

For his last year or two we seemed to be dire at home, but were regularly going away and nicking one nil wins.

Is it (in general) the people that went to away games a lot that remember him more fondly?

12 hours ago, gornagain said:

The context behind Ayling being moved on was this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/sep/01/newsstory.sport17

We lost a good player but I don't think the decision to sell Ayling was  Johnson's.

LJ said he didn’t think he could consistent play to championship standard, so was happy for him to go

On 12/08/2023 at 12:56, Fordy62 said:

**** loads of money thrown out him by his sugar daddy. Lansdown needed LJ to succeed at all costs. 

Absolutely nothing given that the Kodjia sale occurred 7 months after Tomlin signed on loan. But sure, you keep making stuff up to suit your agenda. 

For the record, I don’t think LJ was terrible. He did fairly averagely for someone who had money thrown at him left right and centre. 

If you want to know what Johnson was truly excellent at, then being part of a team who brought the club to its knees in terms of a financial crisis, he is truly unsurpassed at that. 13m to 40m wage bill is absolutely staggering. 

As I’ve explain earlier. Lansdown did not chuck money at LJ

Do you want me to list the player sales again?

15 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Wes Burns 94th minute winner is one of my favourite moments as a Bristol City fan. The Atyeo was truly chaos.

A low point was the Charlton match on Boxing Day. conceded in the 90th minute after battering them for the whole game. I thought that was the point when we might be doomed. 

Edited by Chairman Mao
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Yes please. If you could also include player purchases, wages and agent fees that would be great. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Could part of the reason for the pro/anti LJ split be the fact that we were a much better away team throughout his tenure?

For his last year or two we seemed to be dire at home, but were regularly going away and nicking one nil wins.

Is it (in general) the people that went to away games a lot that remember him more fondly?

I think he did provide the away fans with some great away wins (if not performances).  I’m a “homer” so do think there is something in that Rich.  Some of @Olé’s away match reports were Poet Laureate material iirc.

5 hours ago, transfer reader said:

Question was largely coming from having seen your comments on Szmodics (I think) a bit earlier in the day

Was someone else, but your point / question is valid ??.  I just have a different take on the answer ?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

If you’re going to list all of the incomings and their wages too? All sixty five of them (approx)  

But you’ll probably just post inaccuracies again as per before.

100% he had money thrown at him and to think otherwise is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

On 12/08/2023 at 08:32, The Coach said:

Unless you’re top of the food chain. You’re always going to lose your best players to bigger teams. I genuinely never understand how there are still a lot of football fans who don’t understand this. It’s not even just about the club. The players heads will have turned also.

Bar a couple of players that were part of our academy. How many players did Johnson actually work to improve on to then have a big sell on? I can only think of Webster and Brownhill top of my head. Where did the rest go? Either released or cheap transfer details to lower league sides or overseas.

Lee Johnson was a failed experiment. 10 years in football management with a Johnstones paint trophy to his name. Doesn’t look great does it.

Bryan,Reid,Flint,Pack,Elliason,Brownhill,Webster,Kelly all became better players under Johnson and turned a profit a big profit 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

If you’re going to list all of the incomings and their wages too? All sixty five of them (approx)  

But you’ll probably just post inaccuracies again as per before.

100% he had money thrown at him and to think otherwise is ridiculous. 

Already been thru it with @Davefevs

We got a lot in and we spent a lot. 

Possibly spent more than we got in. But not loads more. 

But to say SL gave him loads of money to spend, just simply isn’t true. He mainly spent the clubs money, which had been generated from player sales 

• Like 1