IGNORED

Lee Johnson

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My completely unprofessional view is that I think deep down he has an underlying insecurity about himself on two fronts.

1. That his playing career featured so many games under his dad, he never really broke the umbilical cord, so he will always have doubts about his own playing ability.  (Do not mistake this as being my view of him as a player)

2. That he won’t do as well as his Dad as a manager.  To quote him (slightly paraphrased) when asked by a fellow City fan a few years back “my dad is a lower league manager, all he’s good at is man-management”.  There is some irony in that.

Now as a manager / head-coach he is desperate to differentiate himself from the type of manager his dad was, focusing on let’s call them “modern techniques”, when perhaps a bit less focus on that, e.g. measuring grass length (slight sarcasm from me) and a bit more focus on his dad’s man-management, might be time better spent.  Re grass length, I’m sure all his dad worried about was making sure the corners had longer grass than the rest of the pitch (at Beck’s request), I doubt he gave a toss whether it was 50mm or 51mm per se.

I get the impression he’d rather win a small tactical battle (game within a game) with his opposite number than win the actual match.

It’s a bit of a shame really, because he has a wealth of knowledge and ideas.  My returning thought is he’d really benefit from going and being a number 2 to someone, e.g. in PL.  I don’t think he would though.

Good points, and I think you could be on to something. If only he realised that through man management you get the best from players and so get the best from a team.Then you add a coherent plan and you are on the verge of success . In fact, that lack of man management skill might go some way to explaining those long losing runs. Winning is easy, the team will take care of itself, start losing and players go into their shell and look for excuses, that's when a good man manager comes into his own.
All the knowledge in the World is next to useless if you don't know how to use it, and he never seemed to be able to focus. . 

• Like 1

On 10/08/2023 at 21:48, And Its Smith said:

Suddenly Hibs fans love him. Fickle bunch!

They didn’t love him they just stopped posting stuff, waiting for the inevitable next bad run. Skimming through it, I’d say in the few days prior to your post and ever since, 80% want him out and over half of them are posts which are a mixture of hatred and ridicule. 

It’s a repeat of what happened here and at Sunderland, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such vitriolic comments aimed so consistently at a manager. 

To quote some of the Hibs comments, slaver (Scottish slang look it up), charlatan, fraud, David Brent, clown, imbecile, imposter, that’s just the one word comments then you get comments just as you did here and at Sunderland the players don’t like him. Fairly sure he once said the only thing his dad was good at was man management, the irony and the sheer stupidity. 

it’s really interesting seeing so many supposedly intelligent people fooled by the blather and then take so long to see it for what it really is. 

• Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Have a listen to this, poor interview….but from the person asking the questions!!!  I think I might’ve reacted to the “have you lost the dressing room” question.  Think LJ was pretty courteous imho.

Massengo is still available isn’t he?

27 minutes ago, NickJ said:

They didn’t love him they just stopped posting stuff, waiting for the inevitable next bad run. Skimming through it, I’d say in the few days prior to your post and ever since, 80% want him out and over half of them are posts which are a mixture of hatred and ridicule. 

It’s a repeat of what happened here and at Sunderland, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such vitriolic comments aimed so consistently at a manager. 

To quote some of the Hibs comments, slaver (Scottish slang look it up), charlatan, fraud, David Brent, clown, imbecile, imposter, that’s just the one word comments then you get comments just as you did here and at Sunderland the players don’t like him. Fairly sure he once said the only thing his dad was good at was man management, the irony and the sheer stupidity. 

it’s really interesting seeing so many supposedly intelligent people fooled by the blather and then take so long to see it for what it really is. 

Not true. There were plenty of positive messages when I posted. If you didn’t see them they were still there.

It’s really interesting to see so many pages on an ex managers career!

19 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Not true. There were plenty of positive messages when I posted. If you didn’t see them they were still there.

It’s really interesting to see so many pages on an ex managers career!

I think it’s born out of frustration. You might reasonably argue he didn’t deserve the job and thereafter he was given money like no one ever was before or ever has been after. 

It was a real wasted opportunity off the back of a brilliant season. Such a shame on many levels. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think it’s born out of frustration. You might reasonably argue he didn’t deserve the job and thereafter he was given money like no one ever was before or ever has been after. 

It was a real wasted opportunity off the back of a brilliant season. Such a shame on many levels. 

It still doesn't sit right with me that we sacked Cotterill after that great season and replaced him with LJ, who had achieved nothing in his career. Then he was given all the money to spend from SL. He should have been rid of much sooner than he was as well.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

It still doesn't sit right with me that we sacked Cotterill after that great season and replaced him with LJ, who had achieved nothing in his career. Then he was given all the money to spend from SL. He should have been rid of much sooner than he was as well.

The Grey and Gayle thing was insane. Cotterill and SL fell out after it….I’ve written enough times about what happened ending effectively in the Sack Cloth saga! 

SL was determined to show he was right and underwrote LJ who really had no clue except his bloody stupid statement regarding Europa League in five years. 

The best summary of the period anyone is going to write!

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Appreciate I’m in a minority but I’m not overly bothered about getting to the Premier League. I want matches to be memorable. Johnson gave me a lot of my most memorable games as a City fan.  Man United at home and Fulham away being two of quite a few. And he genuinely cared about the club. I will always want him to do well because of that 

• Like 7

I still maintain that people are unnecessarily harsh on LJ. I genuinely believe that he'd be far more respected in football if he happened to be a few inches taller, as incredible as it is to say. So much of the criticism of LJ is personally, rather than football focused - it's so strange.

LJ did an okay, but perhaps slightly underwhelming, job here. He kept us up, he helped to progress us a little bit. Towards the end he overspent and underperformed, and in doing so perhaps undid the progress he had made, but I point the finger at those who allowed him to do it. Maybe he should have never got the job here, and maybe he should have been relieved of his duties earlier than he was, but again, that's something to hold against Lansdown rather than Johnson. I always got the impression that LJ gave his absolute all for us, and that's all I can really ask of him - I have nothing against him personally.

He's far from the best manager in the world, but he's nowhere near as clueless/incompetent as some people make out.

On 24/08/2023 at 12:35, 2015 said:

That's fine if they think that. If you're happy to just watch City to get results only, with not much entertainment then that's ok.
However, I go to be somewhat entertained and encouraged by what I see on the pitch, if that means we don't win every game that's ok. There was many times I left AG bored out my brains with him in charge. Yes some will point to the League Cup season, but that lasted for about 6 months over his 4 year reign. 

I see people say this a lot, but I really don't believe it's true at all (nothing against you personally, OP)

Would people really be dissatisfied with us in the top 6 winning 'boring' 1-0's every week?

Would people really be happy to see us in the bottom 6 losing 'exciting' 4-3's every week? (We've had periods doing something similar to this under Pearson - the reaction hasn't been especially good!)

FWIW, I don't think LJ's football was quite as boring as many suggest. It was bad at times, but we've had periods of worse football both before and since.

5 hours ago, Randy Marsh II said:

Looks like another club is finding out the man with 500 games but nothing on his CV is a squeaking charlatan. 

Be Yeovil in less than 3 years

Or perhaps the guy with 500 games as a professional football manager at age 42 isn't a "charlatan" who has somehow tricked his way into a career. Maybe he's just another manager who disappointed slightly in his time with our club, who you happen to dislike.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Appreciate I’m in a minority but I’m not overly bothered about getting to the Premier League. I want matches to be memorable. Johnson gave me a lot of my most memorable games as a City fan.  Man United at home and Fulham away being two of quite a few. And he genuinely cared about the club. I will always want him to do well because of that 

I don't know your age but from 1974 to 1980 we had some very memorable games that all who saw them will carry the memories to the grave. Johnson manage about three with the biggest spending spree that this club has ever had.

And, IMO, LJ cares only about himself!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4

39 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I don't know your age but from 1974 to 1980 we had some very memorable games that all who saw them will carry the memories to the grave. Johnson manage about three with the biggest spending spree that this club has ever had.

And, IMO, LJ cares only about himself!!!!!

Born in 1981.  Sat through Osman, Pulis and lots of league one football.  Happy with most of what Pearson is serving up entertainment wise. At least we are having a go at teams.  Under LJ there was more than 3 memorable games although granted a lot more away games than home games! 

Edited by And Its Smith

10 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

With the benefit of hindsight it was a wasted opportunity - a small window - the like of which SL might not see again. The years 2017 to March 2020 were a Golden Opportunity, with the first season survived, the ground re-development completed, crowds jumping to 20,000 plus, revenue soaring, the ability to pay competitive wages, and still the nucleus of a talented group from the promotion year.

And SL handed this opportunity to a coach that had not managed at this level, and had no promotions under his belt.

Having said all that, the best and only realistic opportunity to go up in that period for us was probably 2016/17 when Huddersfield scraped up via the play-offs, LJ's first full season here when he got in a complete mess with Tomlin and set a club record for consecutive defeats.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, M.D said:

IF NP goes at some point, I have this horrible feeling that if SL doesn't get Mark Robins then LJ will be back in charge here...

I can't see it.

The main difference between LJ's time and now is that Ashton isn't here, and to reappoint him would effectively mean SL deciding that Ashton was the problem and that he had the wool pulled over his eyes. And Steve doesn't like admitting that sort of thing.

• Like 1