IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My no means do I think he was crap, but I thought we could’ve got more out of him.

Would an NP managed City and we can say this about a host of players we signed in the LJ era- both from a tactical perspective, then from an excessive unavailability through injury perspective, have got more out of him perhaps?

I don't mean in the final few months in which NP did manage us, more had he been in charge from earlier and for longer. Goes potentially for Diedhiou as well as a range of players IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

Having to watch on iPlayer with the 5Live commentary as she is so grating on my ears it’s untrue!  Means being 2 mins behind but it’s worth it! 

It's unbelievable that just to fill quotas and ensure the BBC are polically correct we have to put up with her shit commentary 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, I just think there was more in him.

(for info, I watched him a fair bit for Angers in the season he replaced Kodjia and I thought he was someone we should be interested in, so I though he had different parts to his game that we didn’t see)

His goals record (individually) was decent enough, but I also thought the lack of partnership meant his goals were a bit solitary, unlike say last season where WSM all contributed.

I also think that with a crosser like Eliasson, he really should have benefitted more.  That reluctance to get across his man was frustrating…especially when you see the quality of his header in the World Cup.

My no means do I think he was crap, but I thought we could’ve got more out of him.

Yes, agree on the partnership, although as I said in my reply to @Sheltons Army above, I’m not sure that was entirely down to the player. 

It’s interesting your comment on his goal the other day, because my first thought when I saw that was that it was reminiscent of several goals he scored at City! Maybe that harks back to the away from home thing. 

Probably could have got more, yes, and in a more settled time maybe would have. But 51 goals and top scorer two season running isn’t bad! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

It's unbelievable that just to fill quotas and ensure the BBC are polically correct we have to put up with her shit commentary 

I don’t care if it’s a man, a woman, an animal, a mineral or a vegetable commentating but to be doing it on prime time games they need to at least be listenable as a bare minimum.  She is absolutely dreadful I’m sorry to say.    Don’t like saying it but it’s the truth! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would an NP managed City and we can say this about a host of players we signed in the LJ era- both from a tactical perspective, then from an excessive unavailability through injury perspective, have got more out of him perhaps?

I don't mean in the final few months in which NP did manage us, more had he been in charge from earlier and for longer. Goes potentially for Diedhiou as well as a range of players IMO.

I dunno.  

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

I don’t care if it’s a man, a woman, an animal, a mineral or a vegetable commentating but to be doing it on prime time games they need to at least be listenable as a bare minimum.  She is absolutely dreadful I’m sorry to say.    Don’t like saying it but it’s the truth! 

Got to say I’m not enjoying the comms either.  Too much pre-set narrative about certain players…watch the game, tell us what’s happening (broadly), but stop blowing smoke up players arses about what they are capable of.

5 minutes ago, lenred said:

And she hasn’t mentioned Bristol City or Ashton Gate once……?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, lenred said:

I've no problem with women doing that job. Women watch and play football, why shouldn't they commentate? Nothing remotely 'politically correct' about not excluding 50% of the population.

For me, I don't think she too dreadful, but it's a question of taste. Lots of folks rated the awful John Motson, with his fake chuckle and irrelevant facts shoehorned awkwardly in. He made me turn the commentary off.

I do agree with those saying Dublin is a useless pundit though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I've no problem with women doing that job. Women watch and play football, why shouldn't they commentate? Nothing remotely 'politically correct' about not excluding 50% of the population.

For me, I don't think she too dreadful, but it's a question of taste. Lots of folks rated the awful John Motson, with his fake chuckle and irrelevant facts shoehorned awkwardly in. He made me turn the commentary off.

Completely agree.   There are plenty of blokes who I’d also turn off if I had the choice.   Hopefully it’s not Matterface this evening for example! 

9 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Just thinking what a contrast there is between the noise made by the Argentine fans last night and either side today. It sounds more like an uninspiring league one game on a wet day. 

For me the Europeans have really let the side down badly in this tournament compared to the Africans, Asians and South Americans. Maybe a sign of the times in terms of passiveness creeping into the game with us being customers not fans.

Just now, lenred said:

Completely agree.   There are plenty of blokes who I’d also turn off if I had the choice.   Hopefully it’s not Matterface this evening for example! 

Such as whoever is on co-comms on 5live and was completely baffled at the notion that someone could calculate how fast Mbappe had ran.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I have the American commentary here and it's full of great 'soccer' stats like "Mbappe showed earlier he is capable of 3.8 40 yard dash" 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Such as whoever is on co-comms on 5live and was completely baffled at the notion that someone could calculate how fast Mbappe had ran.

Chris Sutton.  Think he was being sarcastic!  He loves playing the curmudgeonly old get.   I like him a lot, very knowledgable and happy to have the Michael taken out of him.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lenred said:

See I don't mind him either. I'm not looking for a commentator to tell me all about background and analyse things too much. I can see what's going on. They're just there as background noise and to give you the names of players you are unfamiliar with.  I hate to say it about a fellow Red, but I'm not keen on Pearcey, for example. Calm down, mate. We're English, not Paraguayans. 

The understated Guy Mowbray is my favourite of current commentators. 

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Bring on John Hartson I say