IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Really??

Granted he should go to a stronger League but his CL record is also fantastic. Under 25 too, loads of room for growth too. Carried France a bit in 2018 too.

Sarcasm my friend. Something on here said Mbappe was overrated. 

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought they weren’t allowed to break their run.

And then he celebrates….

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Aren't they only banned from feining to shoot and then stopping?

I thought so too.

JETs technique had a similar objective (in my view) which is to force the keeper to show which way he’s going before striking the ball - and if he doesn’t, just keep it low and then the keeper has no time to get down.

But JETs technique didn’t involve breaking his run - or rather his stroll ?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought they weren’t allowed to break their run.

And then he celebrates….

Pretty sure it is only feinting a shot that is not allowed, a stuttered run up is and if your technique is good enough it makes sense to do it. It's a bit like playing for a foul, or time wasting while winning though - pushes the edge of rules and drives me crazy when it's against my team. So I think in terems of rules, the ref gets everything about the penalty correct, from awarding it to having it retaken. 

11 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

Pretty sure it is only feinting a shot that is not allowed, a stuttered run up is and if your technique is good enough it makes sense to do it. It's a bit like playing for a foul, or time wasting while winning though - pushes the edge of rules and drives me crazy when it's against my team. So I think in terems of rules, the ref gets everything about the penalty correct, from awarding it to having it retaken. 

Good job he scored, the retake was on again wasn't it. 

I think if players are allowed that, keepers should be allowed to come forward as long as they wait for the kick.

It's all a bit silly.

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

Good job he scored, the retake was on again wasn't it. 

I think if players are allowed that, keepers should be allowed to come forward as long as they wait for the kick.

It's all a bit silly.

How about, player goes to his run-up position, keeper on his line…ref blows whistle, player and keeper can start their movement.  Would make it more fun. Maybe?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

How about, player goes to his run-up position, keeper on his line…ref blows whistle, player and keeper can start their movement.  Would make it more fun. Maybe?

Sounds good

If that rule had been in place when JET was taking penalties for us then the keeper would have got there first. Easily.

Edited by Calculus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Davefevs said:

In all honesty (I don't know anyone else who likes this idea ?), but when the MLS started (current version) they did not allow draws and so often had shootouts. Howevere they did these more like ice hokey - keeper on their line, player 35 yards out. The player had to run in and try and score, I like it more because its much more about the skill of the keeper and the player. Where as penalties are much more luck. I also realise i'm pretty much in a minority of one in these thoughts ?

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Certainly would make it a bit harder to score.

It does seem unfair that a keeper can't come forward in some respects.

1 minute ago, BCFC Rich said:

In all honesty (I don't know anyone else who likes this idea ?), but when the MLS started (current version) they did not allow draws and so often had shootouts. Howevere they did these more like ice hokey - keeper on their line, player 35 yards out. The player had to run in and try and score, I like it more because its much more about the skill of the keeper and the player. Where as penalties are much more luck. I also realise i'm pretty much in a minority of one in these thoughts ?

Yep remember those MLS ones in the late 70s.  Always liked that kind of concept, much more skill based.

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

He's also scored 51 goals for our club over the prior 3.5 seasons. For me that's more important than 6 months at the end of his contract.

Each to their own but he won’t live long in the memory for me. Touch like a breeze block , no football brain whatsoever . Downing tools shows the true character or the man. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

To be fair Saka being dropped in first instance was harsh given his Iran performance. Nobody really played well v USA.     I guess also shows how much strength England have attacking wise 

Agreed I think any tow form Foden, Rashford and Saka. All offer a lot, and something slightly different form each other. It's harsh on Rashford, but he'll come on and get a chance. 

8 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

Penalties are not about luck. Being able to find the corner of the goal isn’t lucky. Loads of skill involved. 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

... and then there's always the Trumdle solution. (How does he do this?)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Penalties are not about luck. Being able to find the corner of the goal isn’t lucky. Loads of skill involved. 

there is definitely skill in the kick and handling the pressure, but it's weigh more of a lottery than with the run + for the GK it is mostly luck, trying to look big and guessing right to even have a chance of saving. With the run in it would be more about the players ability and soooo much more about the GK's ability.