IGNORED

20 years ago today, 23rd November 2002. Mansfield Town 4 - 5 Bristol City.

Milton Red

3 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Was up there as one of the best away days I’ve been to. Quite a few left early & got to say I was so close to joining them. The locals that that day were proper lairy both before and especially after. 

Best away game I've been to easily.  They were really nasty weren't they?  Horrible lot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midred said:

There was a group next to me who walked out 5 minutes before the end!

Tragically me and my son left early. We had the radio on in the car and couldn't believe what happened. Needless to say I never have never left any game early since,whatever the sport. But needless to say , in my lifetime, I will never be present at a game like that again. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I was there, I just remember going mental celebrating Lita getting it back to 4-4, then feeling a little gutted that we’d scored 4 goal and were only going to get a draw! I was facing the wrong way and turned round just in time to see Christian Roberts smash the winner in.

As others have said their fans were some real mongs,and the stewards weren’t much better either. I was sat on the coach afterwards when one of them launched a traffic cone at the window! Despite that, I’ve had a soft spot for them since, even more so since a certain Colin Daniel goal back in 2014!

Edited by BS15_RED

• Admin
3 hours ago, Midred said:

There was a group next to me who walked out 5 minutes before the end!

They certainly weren't the only ones there was lots of space in the stand when the winner went in

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Left at 4-2.  No regrets 

I know you said this in jest, but I always say I'd rather we score and I miss it, than be there and we didn't score

2 hours ago, Red Skin said:

Best away game I've been to easily.  They were really nasty weren't they?  Horrible lot. 

The pubs before the game were very lively, can remember absolute carnage with the locals in a pub and then walking to the ground

After the game was almost as lively

I have two memories, fainting when the winner went in and "coming around" with limbs flying all around me

@westred1being the city mascot that day was another highlight, always a great picture to unearth this time of the year

• Like 2

What a day that was, right up there with my favourite memories of watching City. There was a fiesty atmosphere both inside and outside the ground, not helped by the aggressive attitude of the police. At 4-2 we looked down and out with their fans goading us. Minutes later and there was absolute pandemonium when the winner went in. 

Can’t believe it was 20 years ago. Where does the time go?

6 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

A privilege to have been there, luckily a birthday treat for my son.

Even better...a birthday treat for me!!!! Never to be forgotten day - not only one of the most memorable away trips but one of the most memorable birthdays too!!

@Robbored - Christian Roberts really did have a knack, didn't he?: he may not have been the most prolific scorer ever, but when he got goals they were soooo memorable. 

2 hours ago, phantom said:

They certainly weren't the only ones there was lots of space in the stand when the winner went in

I know you said this in jest, but I always say I'd rather we score and I miss it, than be there and we didn't score

The pubs before the game were very lively, can remember absolute carnage with the locals in a pub and then walking to the ground

After the game was almost as lively

I have two memories, fainting when the winner went in and "coming around" with limbs flying all around me

@westred1being the city mascot that day was another highlight, always a great picture to unearth this time of the year

Loads of city in there main home pub early doors, they were very angry when arrived to find pub full and they weren’t allowed in 

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

@Robbored - Christian Roberts really did have a knack, didn't he?: he may not have been the most prolific scorer ever, but when he got goals they were soooo memorable. 

Absolutely - who can forget his winner in extra time against the Monkey Hangers!  Howard Webb was the ref that game and said that the explosion of noise with AG was the loudest he’d ever heard.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely - who can forget his winner in extra time against the Monkey Hangers!  Howard Webb was the ref that game and said that the explosion of noise with AG was the loudest he’d ever heard.

Pretty sure it was Graham Poll.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

26 minutes ago, TomF said:

Madness of a game.  Even the first half with pitch invasions for our goal and a bloke on crutches throwing them up in the air. 

Remember walking out of the ground buzzing and then got all manner of shit from mansfield fans about how we cheated and time wasted.  Funny because it was there fans who threw the ball to the back of the stands at 4-4.  I reckon the ref would have blown up before Roberts scored if now.  

I had a signed copy of the program & DVD after winning a competition about writing about the day for the city program.   It's just a shame that the footage of that day was so dire due to the quality of equipment and also the positioning of the TV gantry. 

That's what I got thrown out for..the bloke on crutches got set on by the stewards and he fell to the ground, obviously because his crutches were in the air, I went to help him and the stewards chucked me out. It was a classic day, spent the 2nd half in the pub and got back in for the last minutes when the gates were open.

• Admin
1 hour ago, TomF said:

Madness of a game.  Even the first half with pitch invasions for our goal and a bloke on crutches throwing them up in the air. 

Remember walking out of the ground buzzing and then got all manner of shit from mansfield fans about how we cheated and time wasted.  Funny because it was there fans who threw the ball to the back of the stands at 4-4.  I reckon the ref would have blown up before Roberts scored if now.  

I had a signed copy of the program & DVD after winning a competition about writing about the day for the city program.   It's just a shame that the footage of that day was so dire due to the quality of equipment and also the positioning of the TV gantry. 

I got a copy of the game on VHS from the club a while after, agree that the footage was dire

I dread to think how bad it would look today 

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Pretty sure it was Graham Poll.

Yes it was….

he said:

"Last week I refereed my first play-off match at Ashton Gate, the Second Division semi-final second leg between Bristol City and Hartlepool.

Despite my refereeing experiences around the world, I cannot recall a greater contrast between players than at the final whistle. Bristol City, who had scored two late goals to qualify, were ecstatic, while all connected with Hartlepool were in despair. The noise within the stadium when the two home goals went in was incredible and compared favourably with a full Nou Camp for a Champions League quarter-final."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What a truly mad player Christian Roberts was, seemingly either brilliant or awful, with pretty much no in between.

Fairly sure he scored a hat trick up at Barnsley when he was just unplayable.

Always seemed to score at Ninian Park against “his” team & of course that iconic Hartlepool goal.

• Like 2