IGNORED

Agricultural Tackle

Genghis Khan's pants

2 minutes ago, Genghis Khan's pants said:

The missus asked me what this meant after she heard it mentioned in one of the World Cup games yesterday - I explained that it was kind of a "base" challenge just taking a player out really but she then asked where the term came from and I have no idea!! Can anyone enlighten me as to its origins??

I heard that too, I think the commentator was just describing it how he saw it to be. An interesting term, first time I've heard a tackle described like that, different but it kind of sounded quite fitting.

I might (probably), but I always thought it came from the early days of sport when Gentleman V Amateurs type matches were common?

The idea being that some farm hand would be less refined and hit rough shots in cricket and hand out even rougher tackles in football or rugby maybe?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I must admit, I wondered whether any of mine might have made it onto that compilation. 

Never sparked on an on-pitch brawl though. They did wait for us in the carpark once however....

It always seems worse to me at those levels when players have to go to work the following day, they could cost people a lot of money.

Amazing how many of those challenges only got a yellow card or even no card at all. 

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It always seems worse to me at those levels when players have to go to work the following day, they could cost people a lot of money.

Amazing how many of those challenges only got a yellow card or even no card at all. 

Some on that compilation are just clumsiness and TBH that was my main excuse as well. I was never a particularly talented ball-player, but I was fast and big. Usually seeing me bear down on them, encouraged opponents to pass the ball before I reached and collided with them. In a professional game, I'd probably be sent off every match.

The nastiest tackles in that video are the two-footed leaping in, which can seriously **** an opponent up. It seems amazing now it wasn't illegal back in the 70s. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Missed a trick there...

Very amoosing elhombro.

You've got to milk these opportunities all you can, as you don't know when you will get anudder chance! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

‘Agricultural’ used in a sporting context is disparaging to those that work on the land. Farmers are generally hard workers and rarely, if ever get a day off. It’s a 24/7 job. 

As a teenage schoolboy  I worked on my local farm and it’s bloody hard work.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I might (probably), but I always thought it came from the early days of sport when Gentleman V Amateurs type matches were common?

The idea being that some farm hand would be less refined and hit rough shots in cricket and hand out even rougher tackles in football or rugby maybe?

Maybe similar etymology for 'industrial' language?!

• Like 1

Taken from Football365

Agricultural challenge
We all loved an agricultural challenge. Like all the best expressions, it has a poetic element which says so much in just two words. It was, of course, a term reserved for one of those tackles that took the ball, the man and often ploughed a long furrow in the pitch whilst doing so, evoking images of tilling the earth with large items of iron machinery.

• Thanks 1