IGNORED

Nick Anderton : Rovers player diagnosed with cancer

Fordy62

18 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

@LondonBristolian just come back to this thread. Being someone who is currently going through this I have to report that my experience has been outstanding. 

Clearly there are lots of things that are currently going on in the NHS and they do need to be urgently resolved but, I can confirm that the staff at the RUH are magnificent, I have nothing to complain about at all.

The care and compassion that they offer cancer suffers is above and beyond.

There is also lots of additional- non-hospital related - support available too.

Again, I send good wishes to this young lad for a full and speedy recovery.

That is really positive to know. That support is so vital and I am really glad you have found it to be in place.

Best of luck in your own battle.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2

8 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Staff and players at Rovers will be shaving their heads on 16th January (Nick's shirt number), to raise funds for him and his family.

Raising funds for Nick Anderton

Wow!

Fair play to you/them all.

A very magnanimous gesture, and, of course, I wish the young man all the best with his recovery.

I hope the publicity increases his profile and corresponds to an increase in financial support for his awful illness.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

Heart warming to see donations from both sides of the city - as one of your supporters wrote in his comment "cancer has no colours".  Thank you.

This photo shows Nick foam rolling his leg on the day of a game,  at the time he had no idea that he had a cancerous tumour, and was playing through the pain.  He's obviously a very determined character, which will be invaluable in helping him through this.

1760161945_NickAndertonFoamRoller2.thumb.jpeg.97a401112c25feaaf934c6bf08a8123f.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, In the Net said:

The barber had 16 on the back of his City shirt (Nick's squad number) - touch of class. 

I listened to a live report on Radio 5 last night - good exposure.

The CEO said the barber was waiting for them in a City shirt and I had visions of him sharpening his cut throat razor as they came in...

On this occasion, here goes, deep breath, Well done the Gas (never thought I'd say that) !

Over 35k raised, great effort.

Hope he makes a full recovery soon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 16/01/2023 at 22:50, In the Net said:

The barber had 16 on the back of his City shirt (Nick's squad number) - touch of class. 

Yep - BBC local news covered the story and it just proves how unnecessary the ‘angst’ we see between the Bristol clubs is.

Many of us have gasheads in our social circle ( in fact I sat with one in the bar earlier) 

Rivalry and banter between us is fine - in fact it’s quite amusing - but the OTT bitterness we sometimes see is something I find simply ridiculous………….grow up and enjoy the rivalry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, phantom said:

I've not seen this promoted anywhere else at the moment by us, but confirmation of what was mentioned earlier in this thread

image.png

It's amusing how often something is posted on OTIB and then magically appears on the OS in the hours following

? Fundraiser for Nick Anderton | Bristol City (bcfc.co.uk)

For anyone wanting to donate online (won't be at the game with cash tomorrow) here is the link

Fundraiser for Nick Anderton by Andy Downie : BRFC Players Shave Heads for Nick Anderton! (gofundme.com)

• Thanks 1

On 19/01/2023 at 23:16, Robbored said:

Yep - BBC local news covered the story and it just proves how unnecessary the ‘angst’ we see between the Bristol clubs is.

Many of us have gasheads in our social circle ( in fact I sat with one in the bar earlier) 

Rivalry and banter between us is fine - in fact it’s quite amusing - but the OTT bitterness we sometimes see is something I find simply ridiculous………….grow up and enjoy the rivalry.

Donation done

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

That is such a shame. As someone who is also fighting this fxxxing disease my heart goes out to him and his family. 

I sincerely hope he makes a complete recovery as soon as possible.

Good luck in your recovery too mate.

• Like 1

Really sad to hear this. The priority absolutely has to be his health but this must have been a tough decision. I hope he can make a full and quick recovery and find a new career he enjoys.

56 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

That is such a shame. As someone who is also fighting this fxxxing disease my heart goes out to him and his family. 

I sincerely hope he makes a complete recovery as soon as possible.

Best wishes to you too. I hope your recovery goes as well as it possibly can. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 2

Good news all around especially for his family and those close to him,

Hopefully he’ll regain his full health and return to playing professional football.

Oops! Just reread the thread and see that he’d retired from professional football.

Edited by Robbored