IGNORED

Pearson

redsocks

Just now, The Swan and Cemetery said:

It’s contested as folk have different views. That doesn’t make mean those contesting are aggressive or happy clappers/NP acolytes, just different views. Personally think there’s more lazy “happy clappers” posts from those who want NP out, than aggressive defenders of NP. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Really?  Please point me in the direction of aggressive posts of this nature.  I haven’t read MDT though.

We are obviously reading different posts in an alternative universe forum.

Dave- you have banged the drum for Nige and have an entirely polarised view - it's what you do and you could very well be right but from my perspective I just don't get it, I don't see the improvement and think Nige should go asap and before another transfer window.

My opinion is that Nigel has done everything he can to his ability and needs to move on. I dont believe he can take us up but I do think he can and possibly will take us down.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Pearson has got a reaction from some players before, however this time it feels slightly different.

I personally would have Atkinson starting every week. Has he done much wrong? Certainly not from what I’ve seen.

There were hints of frustration last season, when Atkinson was ill, I remember Pearson making a comment back then about “not wanting to battle through” or along those lines.

My concern is that this close to the Jan window, would Pearson see Atkinson as a saleable asset? I would be disappointed if so. 

His later comments in the interview about January were also interesting. “Things that I cannot discuss in a post-match press conference”.

I can see him trying to get a few out the door, this transfer window. Bentley, Massengo and one value sale (Semenyo etc). I also think Klose may have his contract terminated, if a replacement is available.

I think he has come to the realisation that he has to spend money to improve this squad. Free agents and free transfers won’t cut it. Otherwise he will lose his job.

People forget that he has only been able to spend money on two players; Atkinson and Tanner. All other players were free (excusing Kane Wilson - tribunal).

Couldn’t agree more with all of this.

I remember the days when we could re-jig the squad every window, a dozen or so players coming in a season. Many for fees or high profile loans.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Dave- it's like groundhog day. If you can't see that criticism of Nige has and is not aggressively contested then you're reading a different forum.

It’s contested by some not others.

Your attack on those who support the manager, by using the term ‘you can’t criticize…is a bit of a joke. 

You can criticize. Just do it, it’s a bloody forum. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Couldn’t agree more with all of this.

I remember the days when we could re-jig the squad every window, a dozen or so players coming in a season. Many for fees or high profile loans.

To a certain point, I would also argue that perhaps we as a club, have been struggling to adapt to our new, lower-ranking “seat at the table” in regards to transfers. The market has completely crashed, and the vast majority of teams in the division are all in the hunt for the same players. 

Our current financial limits, have pushed us down the pecking order, and I think Pearson is at the point now where ‘sell-to-buy’ becomes essential for future progression.

In regards to Pearsons rants, I don’t like the ‘name and shame’ approach, but I also accept that it’s his management style, and he is your typical ‘old school’ manager. 

It can often get misinterpreted at a time where the new generation of ‘head coaches’ are making their name in the league. Your likes of Pearson, Warnock, Mowbray may upset a few with their man management style.

• Like 1

Post match reaction aside. If we were to finish in 18th regularly playing academy players such as Vyner, O’Leary, Conway, Pring and Scott, with some of them written off by City supporters in the past, as well as slashing the wage bill significantly and then giving us the chance to offload the last batch of big wage players in the summer (Kalas, JD, Massengo), then I would consider that about where we. Not an exceptional season but one that we can springboard off. I imagine NP and SL probably see it that way too. This season was always going to be about cost cutting, giving academy players a chance, and hopefully freeing up some wiggle room to bring players in next season. 

I think there are teams below us who will struggle a lot more than us in the second half of the season. Maybe I am being optimistic, but I don’t see us being dragged into a serious relegation scrap.

• Like 7
  • Robin 1

I know we won’t ever get it but I’d love an explanation of what is actually the problem with these players who fall out of favour with Nige.

”I can’t trust him/them” just isn’t good enough for me. Why can’t you? It might be a reason that we all say fair enough I can see your point. Or it might have us questioning Nige and a weakness in his personality or man management skills. We don’t know.

Didn't he throw Atkinson under the bus last season saying he wasn’t doing enough to get through his Illness then once he was back playing well we heard he’d actually been very poorly with a virus I think it was.

Too many times it feels like there are players not playing who could be doing a better job for us than those that are playing and we never get a clear truthful reason why. 

Not really sure what to make of today really ,I've said on a previous post I'm not sure the tactics given to the team were followed through although I could be wrong but any of us who have kicked a ball or love the game would've realised to stop ramming aerial balls down souttars throat a lot earlier than what happened today ,I want to see enthusiasm and a bit of endeavour in our home games, ffs it's what we pay for isn't it?  I've got a family season ticket in the South and even the kids can see something isn't right, especially when you go back to school full with the obligatory crowing bluenoses.  think behind the scenes it just ain't right ,playing people out of position to make a point I get to an extent but it just doesn't last. It might just be the beginnings of a bit of a protracted end for nigel . I see on here opinions on who would you get in etc but with current interest in our football club somewhat lagging imo upstairs I would say who wants it ? 

Edited by Lennieb

11 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

It’s contested by some not others.

Your attack on those who support the manager, by using the term ‘you can’t criticize…is a bit of a joke. 

You can criticize. Just do it, it’s a bloody forum. 

And the biggest joke of all is that I don't criticise anyone who supports Nigel- I never have. I have an issue with those who find it intolerable when Nigel is questioned.

So- please quote me when I have ever made a negative comment about someone supporting Nige.

It maybe a forum but it doesn't give you carte blanche to make stuff up.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t bang his drum, I just don’t think he’s doing the awful job others think he is.  There are areas I think he could’ve done better with.  But I don’t think everything bad / every loss is his fault either.

The squad quality / squad depth isn’t there.  it won’t be unless we can manufacture budget next month.  And I don’t think that will happen because Semenyo won’t leave because we won’t get the offer required to give us enough freedom.  Massengo or Bentley going is gonna generate sticking plaster solutions.

I’ll happily hold my hands up if Nige is relieved of his duties (or leaves of his own volition) and “new manager” improves us over and above a “short term bounce”.

I want the best for Bristol City.  I think Nigel Pearson is stabilising us and positioning the club to move forward.  I think getting rid of him now would be the wrong choice, we also have a new CEO to appoint too.  I think he’s the best for our current situation.

That was so dismal today Dave. We will move forward but it is now very clear to me that it will involve yet again, a visit to the Third Division.

That doesn't mean I want Pearson sacked. It's just that whoever owns us, whoever manages us, we are due our drop each decade. I now know that I will never ever see us in the top tier again.

Edited by cidered abroad

16 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

And the biggest joke of all is that I don't criticise anyone who supports Nigel- I never have. I have an issue with those who find it intolerable when Nigel is questioned.

So- please quote me when I have ever made a negative comment about someone supporting Nige.

It maybe a forum but it doesn't give you carte blanche to make stuff up.

You made completely wrong statements and given odd opinions that have been handed to you over a long period that most think were just out and out funny. 

Your comment was you are not allowed to criticize Nigel Pearson. My comment, was you are, no one is stopping you!

Stop pretending that somehow that you are not allowed to criticize the manager as YOU STATED. AGAIN it’s a forum! 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

49 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Pearson has got a reaction from some players before, however this time it feels slightly different.

I personally would have Atkinson starting every week. Has he done much wrong? Certainly not from what I’ve seen.

There were hints of frustration last season, when Atkinson was ill, I remember Pearson making a comment back then about “not wanting to battle through” or along those lines.

My concern is that this close to the Jan window, would Pearson see Atkinson as a saleable asset? I would be disappointed if so. 

His later comments in the interview about January were also interesting. “Things that I cannot discuss in a post-match press conference”.

I can see him trying to get a few out the door, this transfer window. Bentley, Massengo and one value sale (Semenyo etc). I also think Klose may have his contract terminated, if a replacement is available.

I think he has come to the realisation that he has to spend money to improve this squad. Free agents and free transfers won’t cut it. Otherwise he will lose his job.

People forget that he has only been able to spend money on two players; Atkinson and Tanner. All other players were free (excusing Kane Wilson - tribunal).

Spot on, but on the Atkinson point seeing him as a saleable asset is the only logical explanation that I can see.

He was obviously pissed off with him & Klose after Lincoln but whereas one of these 2 is approaching 35, has been a bit part player, appears to be struggling now & was a free transfer, the other is 24 & cost him his only significant fee.

Not playing him (or at the very least having him in the squad) without a plan regarding his future here is unfathomable.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I’ve just heard the post-match interview with Radio Bristol. It’s bizarre that after todays performance, it’s Atkinson that he was ranting about…

At the start of the season, Nige stated that he wanted to work with a smaller squad, we now have that. And yet, the number of players who are regularly left out of the match day squad is growing each week.

some players are certainly not in favour:

- Bentley, twice been dropped as the Number 1. Remains in match day squad.

- Massengo, contractual reasons are keeping him out of the match day squad.

- Klose, left out of the squad regularly.

- Atkinson, the latest to be left out.

Dasilva, Vyner, Pring and O’Leary are examples of those who have all worked themselves back into the squad. 

Only one I don’t get it is Atkinson who should be at the least in the squad. O’Leary for me is clearly better than Bentley at the moment, Massengo isn’t 100% committed clearly and King has had more good games than Klose at centre back this year

2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

His latest comments around King playing centre half, and not trusting Atkinson - I hope is the final nail in his coffin 

Absolute car crash of an interview 

That was a very strange interview I have to say.

5 minutes ago, Not Banksy said:

Is it just me that thinks that there's a player in Atkinson? 

No it isn't just you.

Signed by Pearson as well wasn't he? Makes his comments even odder.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

That was so dismal today Dave. We will move forward but it is now very clear to me that it will involve yet again, a visit to the Third Division.

That doesn't mean I want Pearson sacked. It's just that whoever owns us, whoever manages us, we are due our drop each decade. I now know that I will never ever see us in the top tier again.

I honestly don’t think it was dismal at all.  Because we lost?  That’s not how I evaluate a performance.  We’ve had enough chances, decent ones too to win from 1-2 behind.  The bummer for me is that those chances weren’t missed with us still deservedly 1-0 up…because we gifted them two goals and that overshadows that we weren’t too bad today.

1 hour ago, Not Banksy said:

I like him.  Would like to see him back in the team with Pring on his outside.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Signed by Pearson as well wasn't he? Makes his comments even odder.

Just because he signed him, doesn’t make him immune from a bit of criticism.  It’s harder for us fans to take when he’s played King at CB and he’s made the mistake for their equaliser.  But he also played King over him last week and we won.  I expect Thursday’s press conference will see some questions on that line.  Will be interesting what is said.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

but from my perspective I just don't get it, I don't see the improvement and think Nige should go asap and before another transfer window.

Sorry forgot to comment on this bit in bold.  It depends what improvement you are expecting to see?  I don’t think our circumstances necessarily lead me to think there’s a correlation between time in role and performance.

I see the squad that ended last season and note that we lost O’Dowda, Palmer and to a lesser extent Cundy and Bakinson.

What have we brought in?

Naismith - a proper signing

Plus Sykes (L1), Wilson (L2) and Bajic (FRA L2)

My heart expected us to improve, but my head said another tough season as there was little tangible change to the squad to make me think it would be anything different.

We’ve seen improvement in some players, like Wells, Vyner and O’Leary, a bit of natural development from Scott, and a leap from Conway.

Unfortunately we’ve seen Semenyo drop off a bit, Bentley conceding too many.  Looks like Klose’s career is coming to an end, he just can’t get his legs going.  Martin too at this level.

The other thing that has improved is the reducing wage bill and amortisation costs that hamstrung us.

Its baby steps though.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, redsocks said:

Why does pearson play players out of position.as they say there are players for positions. Why does he play king when Atkinson sits on the bench.why does he like playing anyone at right back who are not right backs but we have 2 sat on the bench.oleary does not command his Box hence costing us the first goal today.and please mr pearson stop playing around at goal kicks and get it up the field the reason is we are not good enough.

Are you jokimg regarding  Max commanding his box Bentley dont like crosses n

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

The Pearson grudges are so exhausting. After the game he’s made a comment along the lines of ‘if I’m playing King there you know what I think of the other CB’s’. Basically saying he has no faith in Klose and Atkinson, both of whom are tidy centre backs. Not perfect - but perfect players don’t play at this level.

It feels like if you played for Leicester under Pearson - you could give away two penalties and crap in the centre circle - you’re still not getting criticised or dropped. Anyone else - you’re a bad half away from exile.

I like Nigel,, the man - I'm puzzled today why Tanner gets the chop??., I haven't listened to the post match interview and if he's stated as quoted that he doesn't trust Atkinson(a good bloke learning his trade at this level)then that's out of order and an "I dare you to sack me" - or "come on then, sack me"  - literally showing two fingers...if it's clear intimation that's as bad as spitting it out.

Nigel's either lost himself briefly here or he's had enough.

I guess the questions for the board are: 

1) Is NP getting enough out of the players at his disposal

2) Do we trust him enough to back him with what little funds we have, were any to become available, based on his signings so far
3) Is there a better affordable option out there who is willing to work under the same financial restrictions NP has

for me

1) I think this squad should be in a better position than it currently is

2) No. James good signing, Naismith jury is out for me, King should be cover but is now a starting CB...  leaves Atkinson Klose Tanner Sykes all out of the team. Wilson injured but wasn't playing anyway. He's signed these players and none of them are pulling up trees

3) I don't know. Nobody realistic springs to mind. 

9 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

I for one have been someone who’s thought Pearson knew what he was doing more times than not - and a bit like Kane’s missed penalty at the World Cup - there are times when the Manager can’t be blamed for the players on the pitch.

But today’s interview has me thinking that he is absolutely to blame for those actually playing on the pitch, and for the tactics they employ.  This first half was so awful - yes we scored and from the one great move of the half Weimann hit the post - but we were so slow and didn’t have any imagination to break down another Alex Neil team.

We conceded such a soft goal that I’m sure Atkinson deals with - yet Pearson insists on playing one of his favourites out of position!  If he loses ‘trust’ with O’Leary will we see either King or James in goal??

Pearson’s comments after the match about who he trusted showed that perhaps his man management skills just aren’t up to Championship football - so perhaps his days are really numbered!

With a win today we would have been 4 Points off the playoffs where as we are now only 3 pts above the bottom 3 with a resurgent West Brom next up.

Think carefully Mr Lansdown - as you may need to act sooner rather than later!

Mr Lansdown is he still anything to do with the club , his silence is deafening , what’s happening outside the pitch seems more important to the Lansdown family 

• Like 3

Much of what has been said can be construed as fair criticism of the manager in the isolation of this one game, and I have already added my view that the hierarchy may be considering a change, however I think there are other factors, chiefly financial that NP is dealing with that are influential in team selection and tactics.

For my money Bentley is a better keeper than O’Leary, and is not first choice because the club (NP) can’t agree a new contract, he will either be sold in January or run down his contract. Which keeper would other Championship clubs take if they had a choice right now?

The same applies to Massengo who if not a first choice is worth  a place on the bench when we haven’t named a single midfield substitute.

Dasilva, can’t remember the last time he had a decent game, another one who will leave.

Klose and Martin, both can no longer reach the level required to play in the Championship, for  both players this is their last season at this level.

Kalas, the mystery injury man, has taken an age to recover and appears to be as far away as ever, can’t sell him injured, another to leave at the end of the season.

Semenyo, has just played at the World Cup but is not considered good enough or fit enough to start for a bottom half Championship side, is he being held back because a fee has been agreed with another club already? He should be starting if fit, yesterday he should have been up against 41 year old Jageilka(sp) from the start.

I could go on but I doubt anyone is still reading……..

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Wasn’t a great interview (that part of it), agreed…but what if that is what he feels?  Maybe he should’ve lied?  He obviously felt the same last week when we won?  Based on his comments today, it Appears that Atkinson only made the 18 last week because Vyner and Dasilva were ill.  So all he’s done this week is bring them both back in for Atkinson and Kadji.

FWIW I’d have Atkinson starting, but I don’t know what is going on.

Maybe that’s what he’s trying to do with Atkinson.  He’s said many times before that players not included are because they aren’t doing better than ones who are in the 18.  Is this any different.

There has clearly been a falling out with Atkinson. Which is yet another one to add to the list after Kalas last season, and quite clearly Massengo and Bentley this year 

At least the former two you have adequate replacements to play in the positions. Playing Andy King regularly ar centre back when you have other options is nothing more then poor management. He is putting is own ego in front of what is best for the team. It’s unacceptable 

I’m genuinely worried that we are going to go down this year under this guys stewardship. Couple this with the complete lack of leadership from above we are in a right mess 

• Like 2

I'm seeing NP in a similar light to SOD now, both had  a tough job in a transition period for the club, they did what was necessary to reset the clock, then somebody else is needed to come in and take the glory.

I don't deny it's been tough for NP with the lack of cash and overblown squad and all the rest of it, but I can't see he is ever going to be able to take advantage of things once sorted because he's already spent in terms of what he says and does and I think a fresh manager with fresh ideas COULD push us on.

His record is nothing short of awful really, he's closing in on 100 games in charge and has lost half of his games!  I wanted him here, I thought he would succeed but I just can't see it working 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

There has clearly been a falling out with Atkinson. Which is yet another one to add to the list after Kalas last season, and quite clearly Massengo and Bentley this year 

At least the former two you have adequate replacements to play in the positions. Playing Andy King regularly ar centre back when you have other options is nothing more then poor management. He is putting is own ego in front of what is best for the team. It’s unacceptable 

I’m genuinely worried that we are going to go down this year under this guys stewardship. Couple this with the complete lack of leadership from above we are in a right mess 

It is also concerning that Pearson does appear to have a number of falling outs with players, and he is not shy at airing some of the dirty laundry in interviews.

I am not sure this affects the dressing room positively- it seems an old school management technique that I don’t think works in a world of multi millionaire players.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Post match reaction aside. If we were to finish in 18th regularly playing academy players such as Vyner, O’Leary, Conway, Pring and Scott, with some of them written off by City supporters in the past, as well as slashing the wage bill significantly and then giving us the chance to offload the last batch of big wage players in the summer (Kalas, JD, Massengo), then I would consider that about where we. Not an exceptional season but one that we can springboard off. I imagine NP and SL probably see it that way too. This season was always going to be about cost cutting, giving academy players a chance, and hopefully freeing up some wiggle room to bring players in next season. 

I think most fans would happily take this view. We all knew that the finances were a struggle, incomings were gonna be low cost, reliance on the academy was going to be prevalent etc. 

I’d happily take 21st position this season and simply just get through it and survive. 
But given all of the factors that are against us (and against Nige), wouldn’t it be good if he adopted the ‘circle the wagons’ ‘all hands to the pump’ approach rather than the aggressive, blame others, create factions approach? 
I don’t actually have any problems at all with our overall league position nor how we’ve actually performed in many matches this season, but I am beginning to have a problem with Nigel continually calling out players - he’s done it for 3 seasons now, continually moaning about lack of professionalism or lack of trust. If he hasn’t managed to remove or improve his ‘bad eggs’ yet then that’s now on him. No one else. 
Surely it would be better for all concerned if he had a circle the wagons approach and not accept any criticism into the squad or out of the squad. Put up the barriers, create a strong group mentality, and fight for 21st place. The negativity that Nige emanates is not the correct approach for our situation - in my opinion. 

10 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I know we won’t ever get it but I’d love an explanation of what is actually the problem with these players who fall out of favour with Nige.

”I can’t trust him/them” just isn’t good enough for me. Why can’t you? It might be a reason that we all say fair enough I can see your point. Or it might have us questioning Nige and a weakness in his personality or man management skills. We don’t know.

Didn't he throw Atkinson under the bus last season saying he wasn’t doing enough to get through his Illness then once he was back playing well we heard he’d actually been very poorly with a virus I think it was.

Too many times it feels like there are players not playing who could be doing a better job for us than those that are playing and we never get a clear truthful reason why. 

The Radio Bristol journalist had the perfect opportunity and didn’t take it. 
Nige said something along the lines of “you’re not asking the right questions”. 
So the journo asked “why isn’t Atkinson in the squad”. 
“I trust other players more”. 

Why didn’t he follow up on this. 
“Why don’t you trust Atkinson?” “what has Atkinson done to put your trust in an attacking midfielder by trade?”  “What would Atkinson need to do to gain your trust?”  “Why was Tanner not considered instead, with Vyner to play centrally instead of a midfielder?” “What’s happened to Klose?” “How far away is Kalas”. “Why didn’t you play Naismith central, as you did most of the season so far and put Pring as LCB, bringing in Dasilva?”

So many possible follow up questions. And he asked none. Poor journalism 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 4
  • Flames 2

8 hours ago, Not Banksy said:

I think Pearson does too. Which is the issue I think because, for whatever reason, Pearson feels Atkinson is not fulfilling his potential. Atkinson had a rocky period last season as well - admitted he put on too much weight etc - and let’s hope that he can come back again. Hopefully Pearson’s motivation tactics work. 

• Like 1