IGNORED

Pearson

redsocks

26 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I'm seeing NP in a similar light to SOD now, both had  a tough job in a transition period for the club, they did what was necessary to reset the clock, then somebody else is needed to come in and take the glory.

I don't deny it's been tough for NP with the lack of cash and overblown squad and all the rest of it, but I can't see he is ever going to be able to take advantage of things once sorted because he's already spent in terms of what he says and does and I think a fresh manager with fresh ideas COULD push us on.

His record is nothing short of awful really, he's closing in on 100 games in charge and has lost half of his games!  I wanted him here, I thought he would succeed but I just can't see it working 

Yeah unfortunately I’m starting to get SOD vibes from Pearson now. I really like the guy and I’m a firm believer that had he of been brought in around 2018/2019 and had the available funds, he would have been just what the club needed.

It’s a pity for Pearson and us fans that he didn’t come in earlier but we only have one individual to blame for that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think most fans would happily take this view. We all knew that the finances were a struggle, incomings were gonna be low cost, reliance on the academy was going to be prevalent etc. 

I’d happily take 21st position this season and simply just get through it and survive. 
But given all of the factors that are against us (and against Nige), wouldn’t it be good if he adopted the ‘circle the wagons’ ‘all hands to the pump’ approach rather than the aggressive, blame others, create factions approach? 
I don’t actually have any problems at all with our overall league position nor how we’ve actually performed in many matches this season, but I am beginning to have a problem with Nigel continually calling out players - he’s done it for 3 seasons now, continually moaning about lack of professionalism or lack of trust. If he hasn’t managed to remove or improve his ‘bad eggs’ yet then that’s now on him. No one else. 
Surely it would be better for all concerned if he had a circle the wagons approach and not accept any criticism into the squad or out of the squad. Put up the barriers, create a strong group mentality, and fight for 21st place. The negativity that Nige emanates is not the correct approach for our situation - in my opinion. 

The Radio Bristol journalist had the perfect opportunity and didn’t take it. 
Nige said something along the lines of “you’re not asking the right questions”. 
So the journo asked “why isn’t Atkinson in the squad”. 
“I trust other players more”. 

Why didn’t he follow up on this. 
“Why don’t you trust Atkinson?” “what has Atkinson done to put your trust in an attacking midfielder by trade?”  “What would Atkinson need to do to gain your trust?”  “Why was Tanner not considered instead, with Vyner to play centrally instead of a midfielder?” “What’s happened to Klose?” “How far away is Kalas”. “Why didn’t you play Naismith central, as you did most of the season so far and put Pring as LCB, bringing in Dasilva?”

So many possible follow up questions. And he asked none. Poor journalism 

Yeah I was thinking this at the time but it feels that’s always been the way.

I always felt it was an unwritten rule that journos don’t ask too difficult a question and putting the manager on the spot after a game because let’s face it, not just local media but even national you rarely get the questions all the fans are asking.

But in Nige’s case he seems to be encouraging them to ask them questions but they still come up short.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yeah I was thinking this at the time but it feels that’s always been the way.

I always felt it was an unwritten rule that journos don’t ask too difficult a question and putting the manager on the spot after a game because let’s face it, not just local media but even national you rarely get the questions all the fans are asking.

But in Nige’s case he seems to be encouraging them to ask them questions but they still come up short.

Yep. And he said at the fans forum that he’s happy if the journalists ask more pressing, intelligent questions, rather than the usual diatribe. Opportunity was missed on this one. I think the mood that nige was in, a few more questions on this might have been quite revealing! 

• Like 1

I’m guessing but I wonder whether Atkinson hasn’t come back in top shape after the break. Perhaps the view is that he didn’t do his fitness programme that they all had to do while they were away. I do recall that in Pearson’s interview before the restart, there was an implication that not everyone had come back in top shape - can’t recall the exact words he used but it was along the lines of ‘for the most part’ when he commented on this. I remember thinking at the time I wonder who the naughty boy is. This would align to the ‘trust’ comment though.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Yep. And he said at the fans forum that he’s happy if the journalists ask more pressing, intelligent questions, rather than the usual diatribe. Opportunity was missed on this one. I think the mood that nige was in, a few more questions on this might have been quite revealing! 

Yes, it could have been a box office interview, a make or break one even.

As I said before we could all be saying fair enough Nige, keep doing your thing. Or it might have been the moment we thought he’s lost the plot and there’s no way back. 

2 minutes ago, eardun said:

I’m guessing but I wonder whether Atkinson hasn’t come back in top shape after the break. Perhaps the view is that he didn’t do his fitness programme that they all had to do while they were away. I do recall that in Pearson’s interview before the restart, there was an implication that not everyone had come back in top shape - can’t recall the exact words he used but it was along the lines of ‘for the most part’ when he commented on this. I remember thinking at the time I wonder who the naughty boy is. This would align to the ‘trust’ comment though.

You might be right and for me it would be SO much better if instead of the candid dig at Atkinson he just came out and said that. And then ask Atkinson his side, then we all get on with it.

22 minutes ago, eardun said:

I think Pearson does too. Which is the issue I think because, for whatever reason, Pearson feels Atkinson is not fulfilling his potential. Atkinson had a rocky period last season as well - admitted he put on too much weight etc - and let’s hope that he can come back again. Hopefully Pearson’s motivation tactics work. 

You don’t motivate people by blowing them out.  Poor management.

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think most fans would happily take this view. We all knew that the finances were a struggle, incomings were gonna be low cost, reliance on the academy was going to be prevalent etc. 

I’d happily take 21st position this season and simply just get through it and survive. 
But given all of the factors that are against us (and against Nige), wouldn’t it be good if he adopted the ‘circle the wagons’ ‘all hands to the pump’ approach rather than the aggressive, blame others, create factions approach? 
I don’t actually have any problems at all with our overall league position nor how we’ve actually performed in many matches this season, but I am beginning to have a problem with Nigel continually calling out players - he’s done it for 3 seasons now, continually moaning about lack of professionalism or lack of trust. If he hasn’t managed to remove or improve his ‘bad eggs’ yet then that’s now on him. No one else. 
Surely it would be better for all concerned if he had a circle the wagons approach and not accept any criticism into the squad or out of the squad. Put up the barriers, create a strong group mentality, and fight for 21st place. The negativity that Nige emanates is not the correct approach for our situation - in my opinion. 

The Radio Bristol journalist had the perfect opportunity and didn’t take it. 
Nige said something along the lines of “you’re not asking the right questions”. 
So the journo asked “why isn’t Atkinson in the squad”. 
“I trust other players more”. 

Why didn’t he follow up on this. 
“Why don’t you trust Atkinson?” “what has Atkinson done to put your trust in an attacking midfielder by trade?”  “What would Atkinson need to do to gain your trust?”  “Why was Tanner not considered instead, with Vyner to play centrally instead of a midfielder?” “What’s happened to Klose?” “How far away is Kalas”. “Why didn’t you play Naismith central, as you did most of the season so far and put Pring as LCB, bringing in Dasilva?”

So many possible follow up questions. And he asked none. Poor journalism 

I think GmG might have asked those questions. It might have ended up in a playground spat but at least he would’ve asked. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Really?  Please point me in the direction of aggressive posts of this nature.  I haven’t read MDT though.

I can’t quote specific posts but I have had that impression that if I questioned Nige and his ability, I was a moron, dumb, deluded etc. Plus I can’t criticise him because I can’t state a suitable replacement! I don’t know who would be a suitable candidate, it’s not my job to, but I am entitled to an opinion on his performance as manager. I don’t tend to enter into the debates on here about Nige because I don’t have facts, figures, stats etc but just an overall judgement on his tenure. I don’t have much to add to a debate, which people might criticise and mock but hey ho. 

It certainly feels like SOD territory again.

I'm torn between my feelings regarding NP. 

I like many things he's doing that fit with our present financial situation. And playing so many academy products, is definitely helping for a longer term solution, rather than short term fix.

However...when he's playing players that he ' trusts' over others that are readily available and capable...and it's the players he ' trusts' that make the mistakes that lead to the loss...then you have to scratch your head...

Granted we don't know what going on behind closed doors, and in training...however...what counts is what happens on match day. 

It's an interesting read, when you look at the summary of squad analysis and how they've performed. As in who's near top and who's near bottom. Atkinson especially. Scroll down link.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/182/Show/England-Bristol-City 

It's a catch 22 for me...I like many attributes NP has...but question...is there another manager that would agree to run the club in such an understanding way to the current situation, and be looking long term rather than short term.

On a personal note...I really don't like how we set up and play with wing backs and mainly attack down the flanks and rely so much on crosses. 

Do we have players that could play differently. 

I'm concerned that bringing someone else in would set us back even further. However I'm also concerned that NP could take us down.

The way the whole club is set up, from Academy upwards...all playing and coaching the same way. 

Is it a case of ' this is how we are doing it and it's our identity '...or does anyone new tear it all up and start again?

I'm probably leaning towards let's see what happens during January. And then look at it after that. 

• Like 2

If you can’t sign anyone then you make the group that you have a tight knit “fight for each other to the end “ group . Instead NP seems to be at war with half the squad even tough he can’t get rid or replace them . That has relegation written all over it and he has zero experience below this level in the modern game . Just get rid right now and prepare for next season in L1 with a vague hope that we might just get enough bounce back to stay up . ( Which is entirely possible in the worst Championship I have ever seen ) 

• Like 2

im wondering if the word trust was the wrong choice from Nigel,  might have meant relied on.  if atkinson had a previous knock and might not last long,would explain his choice. vyner is ok as cb but better to the right of a 3.  kalas is my big query, is he now playing on injury to see his time out? surely i cant be the only person to wonder this. hes been in a squad that had a lot of time off and got away with it in previous years

6 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I can’t quote specific posts but I have had that impression that if I questioned Nige and his ability, I was a moron, dumb, deluded etc. Plus I can’t criticise him because I can’t state a suitable replacement! I don’t know who would be a suitable candidate, it’s not my job to, but I am entitled to an opinion on his performance as manager. I don’t tend to enter into the debates on here about Nige because I don’t have facts, figures, stats etc but just an overall judgement on his tenure. I don’t have much to add to a debate, which people might criticise and mock but hey ho. 

Agreed

The classic tell me who you would have instead, like your a recruitment analyst.

Where this club is atm I just would like someone to bring this club together because at this moment it feels like o' driscoll is back.

GJ round 2?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spudski said:

It certainly feels like SOD territory again.

I'm torn between my feelings regarding NP. 

I like many things he's doing that fit with our present financial situation. And playing so many academy products, is definitely helping for a longer term solution, rather than short term fix.

However...when he's playing players that he ' trusts' over others that are readily available and capable...and it's the players he ' trusts' that make the mistakes that lead to the loss...then you have to scratch your head...

Granted we don't know what going on behind closed doors, and in training...however...what counts is what happens on match day. 

It's an interesting read, when you look at the summary of squad analysis and how they've performed. As in who's near top and who's near bottom. Atkinson especially. Scroll down link.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/182/Show/England-Bristol-City 

It's a catch 22 for me...I like many attributes NP has...but question...is there another manager that would agree to run the club in such an understanding way to the current situation, and be looking long term rather than short term.

On a personal note...I really don't like how we set up and play with wing backs and mainly attack down the flanks and rely so much on crosses. 

Do we have players that could play differently. 

I'm concerned that bringing someone else in would set us back even further. However I'm also concerned that NP could take us down.

The way the whole club is set up, from Academy upwards...all playing and coaching the same way. 

Is it a case of ' this is how we are doing it and it's our identity '...or does anyone new tear it all up and start again?

I'm probably leaning towards let's see what happens during January. And then look at it after that. 

I wonder if any change will coincide with Richard Gould leaving? Perhaps there’s stuff going on behind the scenes that we don’t know about yet? 

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I wonder if any change will coincide with Richard Gould leaving? Perhaps there’s stuff going on behind the scenes that we don’t know about yet? 

Unless we are really floundering in the relegation zone, then I can't see change.

I'm thinking lots of work has been done leading up to January between Gould and Agents re possible signings/ departures. 

I think we'll know more after January.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Unless we are really floundering in the relegation zone, then I can't see change.

I'm thinking lots of work has been done leading up to January between Gould and Agents re possible signings/ departures. 

I think we'll know more after January.

I do not think " floundering in the relegation zone" is that far away. Pearson's post match interviews always highlight the issues but seldom do we ever hear or see the solutions to the recurring issues the team has. He has proved unable to solve them. How long do we watch the team sinking in to the  relegation zone before something is done about it.

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

I do not think " floundering in the relegation zone" is that far away. Pearson's post match interviews always highlight the issues but seldom do we ever hear or see the solutions to the recurring issues the team has. He has proved unable to solve them. How long do we watch the team sinking in to the  relegation zone before something is done about it.

Until you can name his successor and negotiate his wage with him?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Its baby steps though.

I dont see this.

We haven't improved on the pitch and that's fact, we haven't improved our points tally compared to last season and that's fact too. Some players have improved yet some have seemingly gone backwards.

You mentioned about the improvement of Wells this season yet fail to mention he was rarely used last season. 

The playing of players in unfamiliar positions has become a trademark whilst the constant "trust" issues are concerning. The issue of money at BCFC is not a problem purely for BCFC but for over half the clubs in the Championship.

Most ( but not all) of the time, the players don't seem to have the burning desire to keep the ball out of the net making silly mistakes or just switching off. We look like a team very much in the frame as a relegation candidate and I think this is more down to Nigel Pearson than a lack of quality in the squad.

• Like 3

I'm on the fence over Pearson, despite my concerns.

For me the reasons to keep him just about outweigh the gamble on finding a replacement.

Without making excuses or pointing to specific tactical mistakes he's made....

I genuinely think he's been a bit unlucky with defensive injuries and has had one hand tied behind his back with an already thin squad.

Not sure what is happening with Atkinson, but a fit Kalas, Naismith and Atkinson all season, we're not in a relegation fight IMO.

Add in the injuries to James for a period and Kane, Tanner and Sykes - the last 3 which frankly I said at the start of the season we are putting too much pressure/expectation on to step up to championship levels anyway.

For what it's worth - due to the position we find ourselves in, my prediction is we will sell Semenyo in Jan, probably not for the massive fee we all hope, something like £6-8m and invest in 2 or 3 players to sure things up and the second half of the season will see us chip away till we're safely mid-table.

• Like 1

Club DNA

Why have we players who are STILL not busting every vessel to be match fit +? Why have we academy players sent out on loan to lower league clubs who STILL barely get a game?

Why have we a state of the art training and medical facility, coaches and support staff galore and produce such gash?

There’s no f …ing excuses. 

Maybe time for another lad to go in to the changing room and tell these wasters a few home truths. 

Shambolic. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I feel bringing anyone in now would be purely panic mode. To try and escape relegation. 

Unless we are really in the shit, I can't see long term positives, only short term.

I'm willing to see this season out if we are staying up.

I'm thinking long term.

There will have been a lot of work gone on re signings/ departures for January.

What happens then, Gould leaving, a replacement, our form there after...will give a bigger picture. 

A new manager coming in if we are struggling may have a short term bounce affect...but long term, I feel would set us even further back. 

Either way...between now and the end of January, things need to improve both on and off the pitch. 

• Like 1

Simple question this, where are why are we not playing 4 of the best players we have in;

Kalas, Klose, Atkinson, Naismith would certainly make a difference to our defence are they all injured or all out of favour and up against the likes of Niges old boy King?

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

I feel bringing anyone in now would be purely panic mode. To try and escape relegation. 

Unless we are really in the shit, I can't see long term positives, only short term.

I'm willing to see this season out if we are staying up.

I'm thinking long term.

There will have been a lot of work gone on re signings/ departures for January.

What happens then, Gould leaving, a replacement, our form there after...will give a bigger picture. 

A new manager coming in if we are struggling may have a short term bounce affect...but long term, I feel would set us even further back. 

Either way...between now and the end of January, things need to improve both on and off the pitch. 

"bringing anyone in now" would make no difference if the person bringing anyone in is the same one who brought the rest in.

SL will let NP take us to where he takes us, and unfortunately cant see anyone else buying into SL`s dream...us....anytime soon

13 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Errr... the OP is not doing a Pearson out thread. It's criticism and questioning or is that now also not allowed about St. Nigel????

The " you can't criticise a manager with one of the worst records in BCFC history " is not just exhausting- it's pathetic .

Have you read pages 2 and 3 ? What did he expect with the title of the thread ?

The game against Stoke was a bad one to lose with 3 difficult matches coming up. We could easily lose all of them and be in the bottom 3 in the new year. SL doesn't like changing managers but tends to hit the panic button at this time of year if he thinks there is a realistic chance of relegation so Nige cannot afford to make any more gaffs.

• Like 1