IGNORED

Sack or keep Nigel Pearson

Sturny

Let’s have a vote then ?️   

853 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Left it a couple of days to post as really disheartened and frustrated with the football club. From top to bottom we seem rudderless. The next 4/5 months are huge for us. And the people running the club need to get it right (which makes me nervous). It doesn’t feel like we have a board. 

To lose Gould and sack Pearson so close together plus the transfer window I don’t think Lansdown will. 

But we can’t continue with these piss poor performances and Pearson’s stubbornness is a big problem. Playing king again centre back after the Stoke game was pathetic. Play Vyner there move Tanner in . I can’t believe Tanner wasn’t starting.

It’s all been covered in this topic. I don’t know what to I want to happen. The whole club feels stale as ****. 

Tough times 

• Like 2

Must be NP`s success at Liecs thats the reason he`s still here and his willingness to work within boundaries set for him. SL will be fully aware of fans views on him and NP`s record in the near 2yrs hes been here.

If SL was to sack him he would have to bring in ???? SL`s manager selection record speaks for itself ....almost as bad as the actual managers chosen.

So we go with what we have NP where-ever that takes us, hoping that the next or the next window makes a difference......it wont. Only a COMPLETE CHANGE will do that, so we go around and around until then.?

Can't answer the question until you know what would follow.

Tinnion as caretaker whilst JL flaps around trying to find a replacement? No thanks.

Chris Wilder ready to take over tomorrow? Go on then.

I know for a large chunk of people it's just a matter of sack him then see but this is City with a terrible record of managerial appointments...

3 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

So currently 42% stay, 58% go.

If you take into account people are more likely to vote negative than positive, it's hardly a resounding success that the original poster probably wanted is it? ....

Leave him be I say.

It’s all Rovers fans voting for him to stay apparently ??

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Can't answer the question until you know what would follow.

Tinnion as caretaker whilst JL flaps around trying to find a replacement? No thanks.

Chris Wilder ready to take over tomorrow? Go on then.

I know for a large chunk of people it's just a matter of sack him then see but this is City with a terrible record of managerial appointments...

It wouldn’t be Tinnion Nick, he’s learned his lesson from before & has managed to work his way into a position now where he appears invaluable & almost bulletproof.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it would almost certainly be Euell, Fleming has shown no real interest in being a manager in his career, whereas Euell definitely has & left Charlton specifically because he was overlooked for Ben Garner.

None of us can know what he would be like, but you’re spot on, we have a departing CEO, an owner who has been trying to sell (but only on his terms) for 18 months & a “chairman” who appears far more interested in basketball.

Pearson cannot survive without an upturn in results but a few days from the start of a transfer window where we are expected to be far more active is the worst time to look to make a change.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It wouldn’t be Tinnion Nick, he’s learned his lesson from before & has managed to work his way into a position now where he appears invaluable & almost bulletproof.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it would almost certainly be Euell, Fleming has shown no real interest in being a manager in his career, whereas Euell definitely has & left Charlton specifically because he was overlooked for Ben Garner.

None of us can know what he would be like, but you’re spot on, we have a departing CEO, an owner who has been trying to sell (but only on his terms) for 18 months & a “chairman” who appears far more interested in basketball.

Pearson cannot survive without an upturn in results but a few days from the start of a transfer window where we are expected to be far more active is the worst time to look to make a change.

Hopefully, they've learned from the Holden appointment fiasco that clubs run by adults take discrete soundings first and then give the manager the push. You can minimise or even cut out the time you need a caretaker to come in. 

Promoting a number two (no jokes please!) to be permanent head honcho has never worked out very well here either, so I trust that wouldn't be the route we go down. 

As our set routines and basic marking seems to be at sixes and sevens, I'd not be unhappy to see the First Team coaches depart with Pearson: Whatever they are trying to impart,  it isn't sinking in  

Fear of who might replace him though is a poor reason to stick with NP.  You have to take that leap sometimes and be brave. If I hadn't,  I'd still be stuck doing a job I'd grown to hate, with a miserable marriage and living somewhere I'd fallen out of love with. 

5 minutes ago, The Bard said:

No. It's people who make their own minds up off social media

Although it's ludicrous to suggest all pro-Pearson votes are Gasheads; it's equally insulting to suggest that those wanting him gone think so because of social media.

I'd reluctantly come to the conclusion that he has to go, after a long, mostly silent car journey back from Monday's game. It wasn't until I came on here that I realised that lots of my fellow fans were having the same thoughts. 

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Hopefully, they've learned from the Holden appointment fiasco that clubs run by adults take discrete soundings first and then give the manager the push. You can minimise or even cut out the time you need a caretaker to come in. 

Promoting a number two (no jokes please!) to be permanent head honcho has never worked out very well here either, so I trust that wouldn't be the route we go down. 

As our set routines and basic marking seems to be at sixes and sevens, I'd not be unhappy to see the First Team coaches depart with Pearson: Whatever they are trying to impart,  it isn't sinking in  

Fear of who might replace him though is a poor reason to stick with NP.  You have to take that leap sometimes and be brave. If I hadn't,  I'd still be stuck doing a job I'd grown to hate, with a miserable marriage and living somewhere I'd fallen out of love with. 

Respect your views & completely understand how you have drawn this conclusion.

Also get your final point but I cannot share your optimism, this regime’s track record on appointments is off the scale bad, I would love to think there was some reflection on why & lessons learned, I just don’t believe it.

Joe Jordan was (briefly) Cooper’s assistant & that went incredibly well (2nd spell not so much) but although I believe I can make a case for at least one other doing an ok job, your general argument here is a strong one, still reckon that’s what we would do, though..

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Let's hope we don't get a Boris Johnson to Liz Truss situation if we do sack him! ??

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Although it's ludicrous to suggest all pro-Pearson votes are Gasheads; it's equally insulting to suggest that those wanting him gone think so because of social media.

I'd reluctantly come to the conclusion that he has to go, after a long, mostly silent car journey back from Monday's game. It wasn't until I came on here that I realised that lots of my fellow fans were having the same thoughts. 

Agreed, I don't need social media to tell me how poor results and performances have been!  Don't forget when NP joined on a short term deal the results were awful and we still gave him a contract!  What was the point of the trial run if the results are bad but you still get the job?  Nothing has really improved since then.  

I'm gutted as I thought he was the right man (and I wanted him when LJ was hired which would have been perfect timing) but you can't be only winning 30% of your games, have a terrible home record for your whole tenure, and keep your job 

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Like 1

Just now, GrahamC said:

Respect your views & completely understand how you have drawn this conclusion.

Also get your final point but I cannot share your optimism, this regime’s track record on appointments is off the scale bad, I would love to think there was some reflection on why & lessons learned, I just don’t believe it.

Joe Jordan was (briefly) Cooper’s assistant & that went incredibly well (2nd spell not so much) but although I believe I can make a case for at least one other doing an ok job, your general argument here is a strong one, still reckon that’s what we would do, though..

But after that we had Millen, Tinion, Holden, not to mention the brief Fawthorp disaster. And Joe had an incredible pedigree and respect in the game. A bit more than Jason Euell, no offence to him. 

It may be naive to think the board won't make another blunder, but pro-Nige posters can't really have it both ways.

You can't say the board always get everything wrong...... apart from Pearson, where they got it totally right. 

FWIW these discussions are pretty theoretical,  because I agree with you that the board is very unlikely to take any action unless we fall into the relegation zone. If the rest of the season is as dire as it currently is, he might go even if we've retained Championship status.  But that's an "if". 

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It may be naive to think the board won't make another blunder, but pro-Nige posters can't really have it both ways.

You can't say the board always get everything wrong...... apart from Pearson, where they got it totally right.

Not meant as a dig at you, as agree with the point, but the binary nature of the decision - NP stays or goes - makes the debate more heated,  when I doubt many people are entirely 100/0 or 0/100 either way. As someone who is in the ‘stay’ camp, I’m also a long way from NP is getting everything right/nothing to improve, just that I’m above 50:50 (but not hugely) in his  favour (currently) for a variety reasons including the financial situation, (willing) alternatives and so on. None of that means he’s doing a great job, just that backed into a binary choice, I’d vote stay/remain… Lawdy, time for the politics forum…

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Just now, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Not meant as a dig at you, as agree with the point, but the binary nature of the decision - NP stays or goes - makes the debate more heated,  when I doubt many people are entirely 100/0 or 0/100 either way. As someone who is in the ‘stay’ camp, I’m also a long way from NP is getting everything right/nothing to improve, just that I’m above 50:50 (but not hugely) in his  favour (currently) for a variety reasons including the financial situation, (willing) alternatives and so on. None of that means he’s doing a great job, just that backed into a binary choice, I’d vote stay/remain… Lawdy, time for the politics forum…

I agree. I won't be wailing or gnashing my teeth if he stays. Providing we stay in the Championship of course. He does have some good qualities. 

But once you lose confidence in someone, it takes a lot to get it back.  Maybe he will have a stunning January.? Maybe a Matt Smith type loan (not Matt Smith and not an attacker, but you take my analogy) will perk up this season? Stranger things have happened.

But my opinion of Pearson has shifted to the negative and when that happens, the errors, missteps,  rudeness, arrogance, that you were prepared to overlook before, gets thrown into sharper focus.

I'd raise a glass if he was sacked, although I don't expect him to be.  

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I agree. I won't be wailing or gnashing my teeth if he stays. Providing we stay in the Championship of course. He does have some good qualities. 

But once you lose confidence in someone, it takes a lot to get it back.  Maybe he will have a stunning January.? Maybe a Matt Smith type loan (not Matt Smith and not an attacker, but you take my analogy) will perk up this season? Stranger things have happened.

But my opinion of Pearson has shifted to the negative and when that happens, the errors, missteps,  rudeness, arrogance, that you were prepared to overlook before, gets thrown into sharper focus.

Right now, I’d go for a keeper in the Smith loan role. Whilst we’re struggling defensively across the park, it seems the outfield players have, understandably, low confidence in either O’Leary or Bentley, which is very unhelpful for both open play and set pieces. 

• Like 1

I’ve been a NP supporter so far and completely accept he’s got a massive job to do here.

That said, walking away from the Gate on Boxing Day, I was as angry and disillusioned with this club as I’ve beenfor a very long time and just wanted NP gone.  After having time to cool down, my view has changed a little.  

It says a lot about this club and SL’s managerial appointments that, despite NP’s piss poor record with results and recent performances on the pitch, my fear of who would be appointed as a replacement actually outweighs my fear of what will happen if NP remains in post.

I’d stick for now, as I really don’t have any confidence that the club would do anything other than make a cheap internal appointment.  The new CEO being appointed would seem another good reason to stick for now I would have thought.

34 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Right now, I’d go for a keeper in the Smith loan role. Whilst we’re struggling defensively across the park, it seems the outfield players have, understandably, low confidence in either O’Leary or Bentley, which is very unhelpful for both open play and set pieces. 

Yeah. Or I'd like a Marvin Elliott type midfielder.  Doesn't have to be a world-beater, just dominant right in the centre of the pitch, very difficult to get past, pushes any attackers headed our way into the narrow wings where things get congested. 

• Like 3

Not been nearly as engaged in BCFC recently, but for what it's worth I'd probably keep Pearson for now.

I think his recent decisions seem to defy logic on the face of it (ie Atkinson out, King in). But I can only imagine a man of Pearson's experience is doing these for the right reasons. It's obviously sending a message about something we aren't privy to.

I've met and chatted to Pearson during his time here - and the impression I got of him was that he's exactly as you'd expect. Gregarious and probably a bit intimidating to some players, but ultimately a man with good intentions. If you buy into his methods, he's probably great to work for.

I am bemused by some of the selections, for example Weimann at RWB. It's clear he's playing players he trusts, even if that means utilising them out of position, but I hope whatever is going on behind the scenes gets resolved because it's clearly to the detriment of the team in the short term. I really hope long term though it goes some way to changing the culture here.

Obviously there is some significant disconnect within the squad (Atkinson). To me this shows he's clearly a man who values adherence to his own standards and values over playing our best players. He must have complete confidence the board are invested in what he's trying to achieve here, because in such a tight league it seems crazy to wilfully put the team at a disadvantage with some of these selections.

His comments regarding the fans are obviously a bit unwise, and often spell the beginning of the end for a manager in my experience when things like that start happening. I do think the atmosphere at home games doesn't help. S82 try their best, but the atmosphere was far better with 300 in the old East End next to the away fans. I've said it so many times, but placing our vocal support as far away as possible from away fans has killed atmosphere at AG and I can't see this situation changing unless it's rethought.

I like Pearson as a man and still think he can turn things round. He's been dealt a difficult hand financially but as others have said, this isn't a blanket excuse whilst we're being outperformed by teams on smaller budgets. 

I would be interested to see whether things would improve if someone like Craig Shakespeare was bought in now he's available. That wouldn't be cheap, and would indicate total faith in the Pearson project from the board, but surely it's worth a go if they really want him to succeed.

Apologies - a bit of an essay, but this is basically an amalgamation of my thoughts over the season as I haven't posted too much. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

Personally I think we have a good squad and some exciting players. They just need organising and not played out of position.  Each game we appear to adopt a different and new formation 

Without change we are going down. I would appoint Dyche now He is an organiser and knows the club and the division well 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, NotRoyal said:

Personally I think we have a good squad and some exciting players. They just need organising and not played out of position.  Each game we appear to adopt a different and new formation 

Without change we are going down. I would appoint Dyche now He is an organiser and knows the club and the division well 

There is no way on gods green earth that Dyche would ever come here.   Let’s be realistic at least if we are talking replacements.   

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I agree, and I think once you past the 50:50 and not very far past, you are really 100% out.  Everything they do or say grates.  I think that is human nature.

And what better place to air that opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenred said:

There is no way on gods green earth that Dyche would ever come here.   Let’s be realistic at least if we are talking replacements.   

I know, it is effing insanity to mention Dyche.

If people thought about this for 5 minutes & looked at our previous appointments, Pearson (whether you rate him or not) stands out because prior to that it went Holden, Lee Johnson, Cotterill, O’Driscoll, McInnes, Millen.

None of them have anything like the CV Dyche has & that’s before you get to the fact he said the medical treatment he had with us was the worst of his career, that we “thought” we were a bigger club than we are & his recent comments about the Wells/Brownhill deal.

Even Holloway probably likes us more (and no, before someone suggests it).

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I know it is effing insanity to mention Dyche.

If people thought about this for 5 minutes & looked at our previous appointments, Pearson (whether you rate him or not) stands out because prior to that it went Holden, Lee Johnson, Cotterill, O’Driscoll, McInnes, Millen.

None of them have anything like the CV Dyche has, & that’s before you get to the fact he said the medical treatment he had with us was the worst of his career, that we “thought” we were a bigger club than we are & his recent comments about the Wells/Brownhill deal.

Even Holloway probably likes us more (and no, before someone suggests it).

Missed this, what did he say?

I'm seeing some digs at the poll, but I think it's interesting nonetheless. Win next match and we'll probably see a flip. Lose and end up in relegation zone will see a big change. It's sensitive at the moment, lots of fans on the edge. 

I think if we are in the bottom 3 in January, he'll be given no more than a handful of games to turn it around. 

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Promoting a number two (no jokes please!) to be permanent head honcho has never worked out very well here either, so I trust that wouldn't be the route we go down. 

Graham said yesterday, we need humour ....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Missed this, what did he say?

That we had overpaid for Wells & they had underpaid for Brownhill.

He can’t resist a dig at us, I think his spell here as a player (he is scathing in his book about his medical treatment under Buster Footman) has left an impression, being booed off the pitch & clapping back when subbed v WBA, too.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I'm seeing some digs at the poll, but I think it's interesting nonetheless. Win next match and we'll probably see a flip. Lose and end up in relegation zone will see a big change. It's sensitive at the moment, lots of fans on the edge. 

I think if we are in the bottom 3 in January, he'll be given no more than a handful of games to turn it around. 

I don’t think it will.  I think many have decided and a win won’t change their minds.

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I know, it is effing insanity to mention Dyche.

If people thought about this for 5 minutes & looked at our previous appointments, 

.... they would possibly wake from their delusion and slumber and their fantasies and be confronted with the cold, grim reality that .... we are shite and a shambles of a club and run by people who will never outwit the competition and that this is about as good as it's ever going to be.

Let them be in their nonsense, they are better off there with their "if only .... " thinking.

• Like 1